Possible Geomagnetic storm in our near future...

Options
13»

Comments

• Ignation - Lost City
    Ignation - Lost City Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks Saitada for the heads up.
    I like reading this stuff, although I don't actually know much about it, I would like to know more.
    It's really interesting, I've been reading on it in articles and stuff, to get more information since I like stuff that I do not use in real life b:surrender, dunno if this will be used in my life but i never used it lol.

Just a question though, doesn't the sun continually emit plasma? but in quantities that doesn't bother the earth so much? but can be amplified by other things?

Because i'm really interested in this phenomenon, and if it wouldn't be a bother to give me links on more so I can actually know the basic information before I jump into more in depth information?

I would greatly appreciate it.
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ...hm...

...I'm gonna need more foil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2010
    Options
    b:shockedThe sky is falling!!!b:shockedThe sky is falling!!!b:shocked

Sorry couldn't help it b:chuckle

It is however good info and I'll keep an eye out. Wonder what the time span on the event is?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Opalwind - Heavens Tear
    Opalwind - Heavens Tear Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    so............
    does this mean we are all going to die?b:shocked

lol jk
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Here we have our space weather forecast for the weekend. Pretty good to know, too bad that my latitude is so low there's no way I could see the Aurora Borealis. We take our Earth's magnetic field for granted, if it weren't for it we would be in a gigantic microwave during Valentine's, how romantic. b:chuckle

If you can see it, enjoy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks Saitada for the heads up.
    I like reading this stuff, although I don't actually know much about it, I would like to know more.
    It's really interesting, I've been reading on it in articles and stuff, to get more information since I like stuff that I do not use in real life b:surrender, dunno if this will be used in my life but i never used it lol.

Just a question though, doesn't the sun continually emit plasma? but in quantities that doesn't bother the earth so much? but can be amplified by other things?

Because i'm really interested in this phenomenon, and if it wouldn't be a bother to give me links on more so I can actually know the basic information before I jump into more in depth information?

I would greatly appreciate it.

The sun emits a steady stream of particles, among them light rays. This is called the solar wind. A Coronal Mass Ejection event (Solar Flare) on the other hand is an animal of a different color.

I guess the simplest way of explaining this, although in many ways it is only partially correct, is an area on the surface of the sun exploded outwards in a solar flare. Solar flares normally don't bother the Earth much. The surface of the sun is huge, and most flares are pointed away from us and don't come anywhere near us.

On occasion a solar flare will be pointed in our general direction, those are the ones that can and have caused humans problems in modern times. The problems they usually cause are directly related to our use of electronics and in more recent times to our satellites and their electronics. A solar flare is actually capable of burning a satellite's electronics out, and in some cases because the solar wind effects our planets magnetic field, it can even force a satellite out of orbit (rare).

Generally what happens with a CME/Solar Flare is we get real pretty aurora's (and that is about it) and maybe a few people here and there experience a power outage or communication slowdown (internet) or outage. Large events can and have knocked out power grids leaving thousands and hundreds of thousands/millions of people w/o power.

I basically gave this 'heads up' because this particular storm cycle we are entering over the next few years is expected to be a very active period and we can expect to experience all of the above in one degree or another. This first CME aimed at us this year will probably not cause to much trouble. Most will never even be aware of it, but for those it does effect, particularly those in the more northern latitudes, it could be the cause of your internet simply not working well, thus causing you to lose game time :-)

~S
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Here we have our space weather forecast for the weekend. Pretty good to know, too bad that my latitude is so low there's no way I could see the Aurora Borealis. We take our Earth's magnetic field for granted, if it weren't for it we would be in a gigantic microwave during Valentine's, how romantic. b:chuckle

If you can see it, enjoy!

You might be surprised, Aurora have been documented seen at the equator and in recent times have been seen on Hawaii (extremely rare).

~S
  • Ignation - Lost City
    Ignation - Lost City Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The sun emits a steady stream of particles, among them light rays. This is called the solar wind. A Coronal Mass Ejection event (Solar Flare) on the other hand is an animal of a different color.

I guess the simplest way of explaining this, although in many ways it is only partially correct, is an area on the surface of the sun exploded outwards in a solar flare. Solar flares normally don't bother the Earth much. The surface of the sun is huge, and most flares are pointed away from us and don't come anywhere near us.

On occasion a solar flare will be pointed in our general direction, those are the ones that can and have caused humans problems in modern times. The problems they usually cause are directly related to our use of electronics and in more recent times to our satellites and their electronics. A solar flare is actually capable of burning a satellite's electronics out, and in some cases because the solar wind effects our planets magnetic field, it can even force a satellite out of orbit (rare).

Generally what happens with a CME/Solar Flare is we get real pretty aurora's (and that is about it) and maybe a few people here and there experience a power outage or communication slowdown (internet) or outage. Large events can and have knocked out power grids leaving thousands and hundreds of thousands/millions of people w/o power.

I basically gave this 'heads up' because this particular storm cycle we are entering over the next few years is expected to be a very active period and we can expect to experience all of the above in one degree or another. This first CME aimed at us this year will probably not cause to much trouble. Most will never even be aware of it, but for those it does effect, particularly those in the more northern latitudes, it could be the cause of your internet simply not working well, thus causing you to lose game time :-)

~S

Oh, thank you very much for pointing those things out, really appreciated :) .

Ok back to reading about all that on Wiki and searching about it on google b:victory
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ah yes Geomagnetic storms. With so much random energy in our atmosphere I wonder how it will effect our Sprites and Blue Jets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(lightning)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Jets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Centaura - Dreamweaver
    Centaura - Dreamweaver Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Doom. its over b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Assassin- Cold, Tough, Relentless, Brave, has a Disturbing Mix of Innocence and Violence.

-Proud Member of Vanquish
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You might be surprised, Aurora have been documented seen at the equator and in recent times have been seen on Hawaii (extremely rare).

~S

Ohh, I hope so! I've always wanted to see it, though I'm 16 degrees north of the Equator. I guess I'll see it if one day the Sun decides to 1 shot the Earth with solar winds.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ohh, I hope so! I've always wanted to see it, though I'm 16 degrees north of the Equator. I guess I'll see it if one day the Sun decides to 1 shot the Earth with solar winds.b:surrender

Heh! I saw the Northern lights a few times, once when I lived in Door County Wisconsin, and once when I lived on the Oglala Sioux Indian reservation near Pine Ridge South Dakota. Another time when I was living in Northern Washington State.

Living on Maui, Hawaii now, it would take a HUGE storm for me to see them again. If that happens, I expect I won't be posting on the Interwebz for a while XD.

~Saitada
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ah yes Geomagnetic storms. With so much random energy in our atmosphere I wonder how it will effect our Sprites and Blue Jets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(lightning)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Jets

I would suspect they might increase in frequency.

~S
  • Sheeeba - Dreamweaver
    Sheeeba - Dreamweaver Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Not certain, but i believe this hit us yesterday. My interwebz were inexplicably slow (i'm a net-tech, so when i say inexplicably, i actually mean inexplicably...plus i just like the word inexplicably), but have cleared up now and returned to their previous mediocre speeds.

Of course, i could be mistaken about the cause of this, and perhaps this has not yet hit us. If so, good thing i've played so much Fallout. b:chuckle I'll be ready.

*Straps on his Hunting Rifle and looks for Radscorpions*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

::venos kick tail::

Sheeeba: 8x Venomancer, Hate2Love
    ClericNico: 7x Cleric(Mainly Support), Hate2Love Executor
    _Poe_: 6x Barbarian, Einherjar

"You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    hawk wrote: »
    Moved to off topic, where all future geomagnetic storm discussion should take place.

but hawk....
    this should be in general discussion because.....
    hawk wrote: »
    Space owns.
    b:chuckle

*gets eaten by a radscorpion*
    DX
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tapion_ - Dreamweaver
    Tapion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Yes they probably will increase in frequency. Who knows, if enough of them occur in the same spot for a period of time, they may become visible to the unaided eye. Now that would be a sight to see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]