Newbie Cleric wants to solo AND squad. Skill suggestions, please?

Odadom - Sanctuary
Odadom - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Cleric
Hello, I am new to this game and planning to start a Cleric and mainly go solo (I'll be happy to help with bosses and other stuff if I get some friends, though). I find most of the Cleric skills very useful, but if I want to solo, I'll need attack skills the first place.

- What attack skills do you recommend for me?
- Also, I'm afraid I won't have enough spirit around my mid levels, so please give me ideas which support skills (buffs) are essential for solo and occasionally for helping my squad members?
- Which heal skill(s) should I max?
- Can I leave res at lvl1?

Btw, I'll go pure mag with def/hp stuff, I hope that's a good idea.

Also, a weird question. How come archers lose MP while flying and clerics don't? lol just wondering because I started an archer, too.

Well thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.
Post edited by Odadom - Sanctuary on

Comments

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Top Priorities: (not listing levels, but most of these you will have/need well before 59 skills)

Attacks -->

Plume Shot
    Cyclone
    Wield Thunder

Heals -->

IronHeart
    WellSpring

Buffs -->

Vangaurd
    Magic Shell
    Spirits Gift

Misc -->

Plume Shell

* You will generally be short on Spirit (if not $$) until about 8x

* Clerics have a higher mana regen rate then Archers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Actually, you could leave Wellspring at lvl 1. On one hand, if you lvl it, it might be useful for restoring a lot of health to the tank when in squad and in case of emergencies. On the other hand, with a dead low mana cost and quick cast time, lvl 1 wellspring surge can be a nice source of chi. Will help when you're grinding/killing mobs for quests and you need chi for spark. ^^
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • Odadom - Sanctuary
    Odadom - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Thanks a lot :) I'm not into cash shop stuff (at least not yet), so I'll spend my coins on gear and potions. I don't care if I'm broke, lol. I'm just worried about spirit. I must grind some while this 2x drop rate lasts.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Actually, you could leave Wellspring at lvl 1. On one hand, if you lvl it, it might be useful for restoring a lot of health to the tank when in squad and in case of emergencies. On the other hand, with a dead low mana cost and quick cast time, lvl 1 wellspring surge can be a nice source of chi. Will help when you're grinding/killing mobs for quests and you need chi for spark. ^^

Once you get stream of rejuvination leveled, it's generally better for saving the tank as it can regen lots and lots of HP. I personally find wellspring better for keeping squishies from being squished so the tank can regain aggro.
    EDIT: Blessing of the Purehearted gains quite a bit of chi as well, ijs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Once you get stream of rejuvination leveled, it's generally better for saving the tank as it can regen lots and lots of HP. I personally find wellspring better for keeping squishies from being squished so the tank can regain aggro.
    EDIT: Blessing of the Purehearted gains quite a bit of chi as well, ijs

Stream of Rejuvination should only be used if you haven't already stacked IH and the tank has lost a big chunk of HP, or after you've stopped stacking to debuff the boss or get in a few attacks. Stream's heal over time effect cancels out IH's, meaning the tank won't get as much HP.

When you find that after stacking IH and the tank is still losing HP you want to use Wellspring Surge, it'll restore a large amount of HP and it won't cancel out IH, meaning they'll still get a good heal over time.
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Sometimes, I just cast WoP and double spark ih on the tank. (Just looking for excuses to use my WoP cuz it's such an expensive skill)
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Lol xD

I got Guardian's Light instead because it's much better in my eyes, I'll be getting WoP one of these days, when I'm not too busy in TT.

<3 halving all damage, saved my **** in a gank a few days ago b:dirty
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Oh for the topic, Rose has covered pretty much everything but revive. Get at least 1 level of that and also 1 level of purify when you can get them. Leveling them is not a priority though but those skills are handy.

And imo, plume shell at lower level is either a waste of mana or waste of time(to cast). I personally did not use mine till much much later.
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    p shell is best cler survival skill x(
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Lol xD

I got Guardian's Light instead because it's much better in my eyes, I'll be getting WoP one of these days, when I'm not too busy in TT.

<3 halving all damage, saved my **** in a gank a few days ago b:dirty

I haven't gotten Guardian's Light, but I love WoP. One of the best things about it is the fact that it doesn't aggro...so if, say, the barb doesn't catch the boss that the veno pulled, you can cast it on the veno and keep them from dying without having the boss on your own squishy tail. Or if the tank is AoEing and hasn't cast his AoE skill yet, you can cast it on him so he doesn't die without pulling the mobs b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    Lol, if the boss goes for the veno I stack IH on the tank while the veno is dying, then once the tank aggros the boss I rez the veno and do my job as normal... but WoP might make the veno a little less mad at meb:surrender
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    p shell is best cler survival skill x(

I agree but not plume shell lvl <10 lol
    1 hit would take away all of your mana, leaving you helpless (no heals, no spells, melee them to death?) but maybe you can cast it and run b:shocked
    edited February 2010
    so better if 1 hit take all ur hp instead? b:nosebleed
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    so better if 1 hit take all ur hp instead? b:nosebleed
    I dont mind lol cuz you regain all your exp so fast. But you do have a point there.

Personal preference I guess.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I would lvl up Razor Feathers,Sirens Kiss,Metal Mastery and mostly all your attack skills for soloing.

Elven Wings lose 2 mp a sec that is why your Archer is losing mana.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    Lusca - Sanctuary Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I would lvl up Razor Feathers,Sirens Kiss,Metal Mastery and mostly all your attack skills for soloing.

Elven Wings lose 2 mp a sec that is why your Archer is losing mana.

uh the only attack skill you need to solo is plume shot o.O
    sure increased def mobs are annoying but i haven't had any problems

plume shot
    iron heart blessing
    vanguard spirit
    magic shell
    Celestial guardian seal
    Spirits gift

are the ones a cleric should max first regardless of what they plan to do imho, ijs
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    uh the only attack skill you need to solo is plume shot o.O
    sure increased def mobs are annoying but i haven't had any problems

plume shot
    iron heart blessing
    vanguard spirit
    magic shell
    Celestial guardian seal
    Spirits gift

are the ones a cleric should max first regardless of what they plan to do imho, ijs
    This cleric wants to solo mobs and you forgot cyclone.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    Lusca - Sanctuary Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This cleric wants to solo mobs and you forgot cyclone.

you can solo all mobs you need for your quests with just plume shot
    and i didn't forget cyclone, i purposely left it out, i don't bother with it because of it's 3 second cool down, i find just holding done my plume shot button works just fine on increased defense mobs
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2010
    I also think you should not have left out cyclone, it allows a cleric to kite a mob and potentially not to get hit at all saving mp (because you do not need to heal). Also, it works better on wood mobs than plume shot and after metal mastery is maxed, the damage from cyclone is almost the same as the damage from plume shot. Cyclone also has a 1 sec cast time compared to plume shot's 1.5 sec cast time.
    edited February 2010
    yes, but he just wanted to point out that actually cleric can do fine without cyclone on lower lvls if he want save some sp

same with wield thunder -it s useful starter, but it is also expensive

• Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Wield thunder is ok but not necessary.

Cyclone is necessary, in addition to plume shot. When I was much lower level with no funds, I pretty much did my quests like this: *cyclone, run, cyclone, run, cyclone...* and I'd rarely get hit. That still works versus more annoying mobs like celestial plumpfishes.

I don't think res costs very much =/ You should keep it leveled.

Ironheart is your primary heal. Stream of rejuv is hella expensive but is much stronger than IH if you stack rejuvies instead of IH<-- but in most cases, an IH stack is good enough.

Level up purify as necessary. Lvl 1 is good enough vs mobs (unless you're solo aoeing poisons-- but that's for higher lvls). Lvl 5 or so is good until your 8xs. But I personally have mine at lvl 10 and the 3 second cooldown is still too long imo x]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • LifeAfterDth - Heavens Tear
    LifeAfterDth - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    you can solo all mobs you need for your quests with just plume shot
    and i didn't forget cyclone, i purposely left it out, i don't bother with it because of it's 3 second cool down, i find just holding done my plume shot button works just fine on increased defense mobs

Technically you can but its kinda silly since you have other skills that hit way harder, especially once your metal mastery is lvled up. Plume shot has its uses, such as increased mag resistance mobs, but its far from the most important attack skill.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    at lower levels plume shot is indeed ideal

if you look closely, it always hits harder than cyclone of the same level on normal mobs (barring wood type or increased defense mobs)

this is because mobs usually have more mdef than pdef, look in pwdatabase for confirmation. on the other hand, i use cyclone for the slow so that i may kite certain mobs, similar to how wizards use gush. wield, razor i just don't use at lower levels. because cleric nukes only increase range as you level them up individually, using the higher level nukes when you haven't leveled them very high means you're starting closer to the mob. they can be great later on, but not when you're a lowbie
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • XLusca - Heavens Tear
    XLusca - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I also think you should not have left out cyclone, it allows a cleric to kite a mob and potentially not to get hit at all saving mp (because you do not need to heal). Also, it works better on wood mobs than plume shot and after metal mastery is maxed, the damage from cyclone is almost the same as the damage from plume shot. Cyclone also has a 1 sec cast time compared to plume shot's 1.5 sec cast time.

Yes you can kite with cyclone, I did it way back when PW-MY only just came out.
    Yes it does save money on pots, but low level pots are not expensive at all. Killing mobs by kiting with cyclone takes much longer than killing mobs and using pots.

Yes with metal mastery cyclone out damages plume shot, but when I made that post I was suggesting that skills you should max first, not which skill is best when you can max out everything.

And yes plume shot does have a 1.5 second channel while cyclone only has a one second channel, but plume shot has a one second cool down and cyclone has a 3 second cool down. So either you alternate them or you just use plume shot.
    Wield thunder is ok but not necessary.

Cyclone is necessary, in addition to plume shot. When I was much lower level with no funds, I pretty much did my quests like this: *cyclone, run, cyclone, run, cyclone...* and I'd rarely get hit. That still works versus more annoying mobs like celestial plumpfishes.

I don't think res costs very much =/ You should keep it leveled.

Ironheart is your primary heal. Stream of rejuv is hella expensive but is much stronger than IH if you stack rejuvies instead of IH<-- but in most cases, an IH stack is good enough.

Level up purify as necessary. Lvl 1 is good enough vs mobs (unless you're solo aoeing poisons-- but that's for higher lvls). Lvl 5 or so is good until your 8xs. But I personally have mine at lvl 10 and the 3 second cooldown is still too long imo x]

I have made a couple of clerics now and I didn't fund any of them with my other characters, My avatar is my current main I'm leveling on a new server so I started with no cash and i very rarely buy gold. The only thing I have brought for my cleric so far is his fashion because arcane armor looks lame imo.
    Anyway, none of them have had any cash problems. The only one of my clerics to use cyclone to kite was on the PW-MY and the money saved was basically nothing compared to how much longer leveling took.
    My other clerics have all used pots and plume shot to level and none of them have had any major cash problems.

Ress my not cost that much, but have you played a 4x cleric lately? you have some serious spirit problems.
    My 53 cleric has
    Plume shot ~ level 10
    Cyclone ~ level 7
    Wellspring surge ~ level 5
    Purify ~ level 5
    Revive ~ level 5
    Vanguard spirit ~ level 10
    Magic shell ~ level 10
    Celestial guardian seal ~ level 6
    Spirits gift ~ level 9
    ~All the following are level 1
    Greater protective aura
    Aegis spirit
    Blessing of the pure hearted
    Chromatic healing beam
    Stream of rejuvenation
    Razor feathers
    Thunder ball

I have only recently leveled ress, well spring and purify and I only had the spirit to get them to where they are by not leveling cyclone and CGS.
    Yes I know I said to level CGS before the others but I felt like trying something different, and having level 5 wellspring, ress and purify compared to max CGS is not that much better. I guess that part is just personal preference.

Yes stream is useful, but it's spirit cost is really expensive. I know this is getting repetitive but you just don't have enough spirit at lower levels. I have level one stream and I will level it when my cleric is higher, but for now my cleric simple doesn't have enough spirit.

I do agree with most of what you said about purify.
    Technically you can but its kinda silly since you have other skills that hit way harder, especially once your metal mastery is lvled up. Plume shot has its uses, such as increased mag resistance mobs, but its far from the most important attack skill.

I really have to partly disagree with you here, yes later on plume shot loses it's usefulness.

But as you start out plume shot IS the most important attack skill.
    Well you can use cyclone to kite mobs it is not time efficient. Thunder ball is ****, everyone knows that. You don't get wield thunder until 44, so at 44 you can use cyclone thunder cyclone on mobs.

But until you level metal mastery plume shot is just as good as cyclone and if you level wield thunder and metal mastery, your going to struggle to even keep vanguard, magic shell, spirits gift and iron heart up to date.

lol sorry about the wall of text, I got a little carried away =x
    but basically my point is while at higher levels your other attack skills do start to shine,but at lower levels you simple do not need to spend spirit on them and imho plume shot works just fine and that spirit your not spending on other attack skills is much better used on your buffs, heals, purify or ress.

But of course this is only my opinion and if people want to spend spirit on their attack skills and leave their heals or buffs for later, well they are more than welcome to do that. I will not tell someone they HAVE to play a certain way, I just believe leveling plume shot, iron heart and your buffs works much better than leveling your other attack skills.