Kisax - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
b:surrenderb:byeb:kiss
Post edited by Kisax - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Tamuz - Lost City
    Tamuz - Lost City Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Foro en espanol para jugadores de PWI http://s1.zetaboards.com/PWI_Latino/index/.b:pleased.

Spanish forum for PWI players http://s1.zetaboards.com/PWI_Latino/index/.b:pleased

Por favor, use este sitio web para utilizar los foros de pwi real

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text=Foro+en+espanol+para+jugadores+de+PWI+&sl=es&tl=en#es|en|
  • Kisax - Heavens Tear
    Kisax - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2010

huh what's ur problem it's just like a faction forumb:angry...
  • Tamuz - Lost City
    Tamuz - Lost City Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    o.o

im sorry ? o_o
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Nunca he comprendido esta mentalidad de minoria que parece pesar tanto en los Latinoamericanos que viven en en los Estados Unidos. El juego es en ingles, no hay una necesidad real de tener una comunidad basada en el lenguaje excepto en lo que concierne a aquellas personas con una compresion deficiente del mismo. Y ayudar a estos jugadores es solo perpetuar estereotipos del hispano como mal gamer.

Existe una version de PW en espanol disponible para los que no hablan ingles.

I've never understood this minority mentality that seems to weight heavily on Latin Americans living in the USA. The game is meant to be played in english, there's no real need for a comunity based on language except where it concerns people with a defficient understanding of such. And helping these players just serves towards establishing the stereotype of hispanics as bad gamers.

There's a spanish version of PW available to those players that don't understand english.
  • Sylvani - Raging Tide
    Sylvani - Raging Tide Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    [/COLOR]
    Nunca he comprendido esta mentalidad de minoria que parece pesar tanto en los Latinoamericanos que viven en en los Estados Unidos. El juego es en ingles, no hay una necesidad real de tener una comunidad basada en el lenguaje excepto en lo que concierne a aquellas personas con una compresion deficiente del mismo. Y ayudar a estos jugadores es solo perpetuar estereotipos del hispano como mal gamer.

Existe una version de PW en espanol disponible para los que no hablan ingles.

I've never understood this minority mentality that seems to weight heavily on Latin Americans living in the USA. The game is meant to be played in english, there's no real need for a comunity based on language except where it concerns people with a defficient understanding of such. And helping these players just serves towards establishing the stereotype of hispanics as bad gamers.

There's a spanish version of PW available to those players that don't understand english.

I've never undestood this tendency to generalize. Anyways, I don't see the op asking anyone to speak Spanish, or add Spanish into the game. Thus I ask, what's the problem?

And "stereotype of hispanics as bad gamers" what?
    "I don't love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz/ or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:/ I love you as one loves certain dark things/ secretly, between the shadow and the soul."
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    [/COLOR]

I've never undestood this tendency to generalize. Anyways, I don't see the op asking anyone to speak Spanish, or add Spanish into the game. Thus I ask, what's the problem?

And "stereotype of hispanics as bad gamers" what?

Tendency to generalize? It's ironic that in discussing language you seem to have missed a nuance in "seems/parece". Also you seem to have missed some subtext. So called "Latin comunities" smack of malinchismo to some of us, and honestly they can be misinterpreted as a misapropiation of American values foreign to Iberic culture. This is what bothers me in this issue and i'm well within my right to express an opinion.

And are you challenging that stereotypes exist amongst gamers? Maybe you're not in a possition to realize this yourself. I will say prejudice often takes the form of politically correct sensibility.

I'm confident enough in my identity to comment on these matters. Are you?
  • Sylvani - Raging Tide
    Sylvani - Raging Tide Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    -->So-called "Latin communities" smack of malinchismo to some of us, and honestly they can be misinterpreted as a misappropriation of American values foreign to Iberic culture.

Ok, had to look up malinchismo, since it’s a term alien to my country. I ask, how does a forum for people who wish to speak about a mmo equivalent to malinchismo? As to the second part, how is wanting to talk about a game in whatever language you’re most comfortable with a misappropriation of USA values?

-->i'm well within my right to express an opinion

Who’s denying you that right? Who’s telling you to remain quiet? Or do you think your opinion should not be questioned or challenged? Sorry, but freedom of expression is a two-way street.

-->And are you challenging that stereotypes exist amongst gamers? Maybe you're not in a possition to realize this yourself.

Nice straw man. Did I say there were no stereotypes amongst gamers? Care to re-read my response? I’m pretty sure I simply questioned your assertion that there is some sort of stereotype within the gaming community that Hispanics are bad gamers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure some gamers feel that way, but you make it seem as if it’s some sort of widespread sentiment, and that is what I question.

-->I will say prejudice often takes the form of politically correct sensibility.”

Agreed, but what does it have to do with people chosing to make a forum to talk about a game in whatever language they please? They’re not asking the devs/gms to accommodate them, to make changes to the game for their benefit, or even asking the forum population to speak in that language.

-->I'm confident enough in my identity to comment on these matters. Are you?

Good for you. So am I.
    "I don't love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz/ or arrow of carnations that propagate fire:/ I love you as one loves certain dark things/ secretly, between the shadow and the soul."
  • Formykka - Heavens Tear
    Formykka - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    And are you challenging that stereotypes exist amongst gamers? Maybe you're not in a possition to realize this yourself. I will say prejudice often takes the form of politically correct sensibility.

I'm confident enough in my identity to comment on these matters. Are you?

Um, I've been playing games since Pong and have never encountered any "hispanics are bad gamers" stereotype...mebbe its just something that exists in your own self-confident identity?

While PWI is based in the US, IPs aren't blocked from Central and South America, areas where spanish speakers are not in the minority, so, um, why the big jingoistic upset?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FranzKafka - Dreamweaver
    FranzKafka - Dreamweaver Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    There were days when people would get silenced on WC if they were speaking other than english.I know it's good they don't do that anymore.Point is(and it says on the rules of both forum and game)you should only use english on public spaces as forums and world chat.It's unfair english is the language used?maybe but we use it all(I'm from Italy so it's not that easy for me either).The fact you choose only to speak your native language keeps away from you all the other people.I never agreed on this only german/russian/latino and what not factions.Don't create ghettos as such not a good idea for what a MMO should be.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    For once i agree with Franz.

@Sylvani; I strongly reject self seggregation, as gamers our cultural/ethnic backgrounds should not be important and it seems prejudiced to me to make it so. Spanish and Latin American culture has been assaulted by this minority point of view from US media. It remains a sad fact that much of the content for the region is produced in cities like Miami or Los Angeles and not in cultural centers such as Buenos Aires, Madrid or Mexico City. Hence my comments about malinchismo and misapropiation. If you can't understand it i won't continue spelling it for you. Try reading Octavio Paz.

@Formykka I'm well aware IPs aren't blocked for Latin America, and btw some of us are North American as well... Pong wasn't an online game either...
  • Valne - Sanctuary
    Valne - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Foro en espanol para jugadores de PWI http://s1.zetaboards.com/PWI_Latino/index/.b:pleased.

Spanish forum for PWI players http://s1.zetaboards.com/PWI_Latino/index/.b:pleased

Nice stuff. Hopefully you'll be able to help a lot of players who aren't as fluent in English and do speak Spanish.

... and lol at how this topic somehow turned into a debate. It seems a post on PWI's forum is never complete without one.
  • Nastassiya - Sanctuary
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This thread will get locked/removed by tomorrow =\

But I do wish you the best of luck with your community. But for further information you should read the rules about advertisement and only being allowed to communicate in English on this forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]