Blade Tempest win?

/Slash - Lost City
/Slash - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Wizard
This might seem a bit pointless, but there are plenty of threads complaining about mages being underpowered, so I might as well make one of the other ones. This may not directly apply at 90+ against players with tons of cash-shopped endgame gear, but in the 8x range I'm finding Blade Tempest to be utterly disgusting.

Seriously, I only have 3 mag/level (LA), and BT is still enough to one-hit nearly all LA/AA in my level range. The combo's simple enough and it starts fast enough to beat anyone in a quick-draw:

Seal -> undine -> sleep -> cast Blade Tempest and hit extreme poison at the same time -> go afk.

Did I mention my BT's only level 7 at the moment? This hit a robe mage one level above me for 4800+ damage in two straight duels, non-crit.

I guess I'll enter one semi-complaint, which isn't a complaint so much as it's me still figuring out what works best. Against some stronger-built BMs and barbs, I'm running into some stalemates, i.e. I can tank them, but they keep stunning frequently enough / keep damage pressure up enough that I can't land consistent enough damage to kill them. Stuns are particularly annoying mid-Sutra combo, since each of my Sutra attacks (Divine Pyro -> Glacial Snare -> Sandstorm -> Divine Pyro) hits BMs and Barbs for over 8000 damage total if I Undine them first. Though I haven't tried setting up my Sutra combo with a sleep beforehand since I just got the sleep recently.

Tips for that last part are welcome, not really dying at all, just finding that eating through 10k hp is a little annoying. Otherwise join me in agreement that mages are beast. Thanks.
Post edited by /Slash - Lost City on

Comments

• /Krue - Heavens Tear26
    /Krue - Heavens Tear26 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Get a BM/barb to a bit above half HP unticked charm.

Have enough sparks for sutra combo, and a teleport.

they will probably be on you so tele away from them, followed by a sleep.
    Tick extreme poison on them-
    Undine, sutra combo starting with GS to slow them, move into a SS, then a DP, and follow it up with a gush to finish them.

If you don't kill them with that start praying for a crit because you aren't gunna kill them without one.

Also if you have your 3rd spark by now you can try doing your sutra + ulti combo. Since i don't know your level, just relaying that.
  • /Slash - Lost City
    /Slash - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Sounds good. I don't use charms myself yet, so most of the time I'll kite charmed BMs/Barbs until they lose interest in attacking me. My crit rate's good (and going up; when I eventually get to 90 it'll be in the 11-13% range) so that helps too. But yeah, I only recently picked up Sleep and remade my genie, so getting full use out of Sleep + Extreme Poison is something I haven't been 100% able to try just yet. It should work well.
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This might seem a bit pointless, but there are plenty of threads complaining about mages being underpowered, so I might as well make one of the other ones. This may not directly apply at 90+ against players with tons of cash-shopped endgame gear, but in the 8x range I'm finding Blade Tempest to be utterly disgusting.

Seriously, I only have 3 mag/level (LA), and BT is still enough to one-hit nearly all LA/AA in my level range. The combo's simple enough and it starts fast enough to beat anyone in a quick-draw:

Seal -> undine -> sleep -> cast Blade Tempest and hit extreme poison at the same time -> go afk.

Did I mention my BT's only level 7 at the moment? This hit a robe mage one level above me for 4800+ damage in two straight duels, non-crit.
    Thanks.

they got sucks def or u got a nice weapon.

at 8x i dealed 3k-3,5k with BT,tt80+2 + extremity poison with pure mag build and later with water ulti with tt90+2 ~2,5k without 79 and genie debuff at 9x archer (when have problem with time and i dont ahve time just launch a dragon and die, like in dragon palace when other guild locked the way XD)

(ok later cool the 3rd spark+BT/dragon)
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Get a BM/barb to a bit above half HP unticked charm.

Have enough sparks for sutra combo, and a teleport.

they will probably be on you so tele away from them, followed by a sleep.
    Tick extreme poison on them-
    Undine, sutra combo starting with GS to slow them, move into a SS, then a DP, and follow it up with a gush to finish them.

If you don't kill them with that start praying for a crit because you aren't gunna kill them without one.

Also if you have your 3rd spark by now you can try doing your sutra + ulti combo. Since i don't know your level, just relaying that.

Wait, so you want to get them so that they tick at the next attack, and than use a glacial snare to tick it?, thus having only 3 skils left in sutra in which you hope to kill said barb who is now at max hp again
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Ignation - Lost City
    Ignation - Lost City Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    >.<
    Get a chi pot if your 75+, God's tea that is.
    Make sure you have full sparks.
    Use SS and gush once and use pyro if the charm didn't tick.
    Once ticked, Undine, Sleep, Sutra away their asses back to a safe zone.
    If they did not die, BT or BiDs after you use your chi pot >.< which I really don't think they will stand after a sutra combo.

Just a note though, I rarely use D.pyro and GS >.< I like using my main three skills coupled with SS.

Hope this helps b:bye
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
  • Cryxtal - Sanctuary
    Cryxtal - Sanctuary Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    >.<
    Get a chi pot if your 75+, God's tea that is.
    Make sure you have full sparks.
    Use SS and gush once and use pyro if the charm didn't tick.
    Once ticked, Undine, Sleep, Sutra away their asses back to a safe zone.
    If they did not die, BT or BiDs after you use your chi pot >.< which I really don't think they will stand after a sutra combo.

Just a note though, I rarely use D.pyro and GS >.< I like using my main three skills coupled with SS.

Hope this helps b:bye

dun raelly like e SS gush pyro = tick , then undine <--- u could get owned b4 u execute all these first
    Love Is Complicated.
    「愛は複雑だ.」
    Amor es muy complicado.
    《爱是复杂的》

Do not argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience. b:bye
  • Ignation - Lost City
    Ignation - Lost City Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    But that depends o.O, openin with SS is cool if the target doesn't know you are there, but gush + pyro I use to tick if the target is moving to me xD.

But you are right, it is a pain to SS when he's running towards me. Unless you know you can blink away after doing SS without getting hit xD.

And I don't like using undine first, I like to use it before I sleep them b:pleased

But you can tick anyone with any combo as long as it is fast.

Just saying what I would do when the target doesn't know i'm there b:bye
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
  • BambooHugger - Lost City
    BambooHugger - Lost City Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Sounds good. I don't use charms myself yet, so most of the time I'll kite charmed BMs/Barbs until they lose interest in attacking me. My crit rate's good (and going up; when I eventually get to 90 it'll be in the 11-13% range) so that helps too. But yeah, I only recently picked up Sleep and remade my genie, so getting full use out of Sleep + Extreme Poison is something I haven't been 100% able to try just yet. It should work well.

gtfo no LA past 90 mage is allowed to post
    gtfo.
    gtfo
    GTFO
    GET THE **** OUT
    BambooHugger-7x Arcane Barbarian- ImSoFail-Tarded
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Use stun pots or anti-stun genie skills to kill BM's, especially if they're competent and the fight is in the air. The best way to kill a BM is when they think they are safe, thinking that mage is stunned when they are actually getting ready to unload a sutra on your sorry **** is not good for your health b:chuckle

If you are 90+ don't use **** skills like SS, best combo imo is D pyro - pyro - gush - D pyro - pyro. If any of those 5 spells crit you are basically guaranteed a kill, if not well you still have time to get off a will of the phoenix after.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Use stun pots or anti-stun genie skills to kill BM's, especially if they're competent and the fight is in the air. The best way to kill a BM is when they think they are safe, thinking that mage is stunned when they are actually getting ready to unload a sutra on your sorry **** is not good for your health b:chuckle

If you are 90+ don't use **** skills like SS, best combo imo is D pyro - pyro - gush - D pyro - pyro. If any of those 5 spells crit you are basically guaranteed a kill, if not well you still have time to get off a will of the phoenix after.

Ty much. I'm gonna be specialized on killing BM so every advice is highly appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Valrain - Lost City
    Valrain - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm happy to see a pro-wizard post! I'm headed into my FB39 tonight, and I just read a bunch of "god, wizards really suck ****" posts while looking for advice. I'm having fun with the class, I don't think grinding would be nearly as much fun with anything else.

I'm just happy that I can finally run through FB19 alone and use Dragon's Breath to kill everything that chases me. Next personal test is running through fb29 to see if I can survive it alone. I can't wait to get to your guys' levels... :)
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    At higher levels everyone and their mother will have more pdef than mdef, rendering blade tempest quite useless. For full buffed targets if they're any good I tend to use ice dragon more because as sage it crits more often and with undine it potentially does more damage than tempest.

Tempest is really just for lowbies/terribles.

But I agree, at 7x/8x blade tempest was the bomb b:victory
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    too many cash shoppers with event gear refined to +7 or higher, blade tempest doesn't oneshot anything worth mentioning anymore, I only use it on weaker targets and clerics.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    its the opposite on DW, you got barbs with tons of mdef and trash pdef xD
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
    edited February 2010
    BT doesn't have to be bad against BM.
    Sage BM has.
    Aware of the Myriad
    Increase Magic Defense by 150% at the cost of a
    120% reduction to physical defense
    . Lasts 30 seconds.

This spell cannot be used simultaneously with Alter Marrow Physical.

Sage version always increases magic defense increases by 180%.

Mage Sage BIDS doesn't have to critic. So BT could be more efficient.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Taarloor - Harshlands
    Taarloor - Harshlands Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    No-one is complaining about wizard damage, its just their pathetic survivability, no immobilization skill, coupled with the fact we are ganked first every time in PvP that is annoying.
  • BambooHugger - Lost City
    BambooHugger - Lost City Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    No-one is complaining about wizard damage, its just their pathetic survivability, no immobilization skill, coupled with the fact we are ganked first every time in PvP that is annoying.

^
    always 2v1 on my mage when i **** a bm a few too many times.
    always always always.
    BambooHugger-7x Arcane Barbarian- ImSoFail-Tarded
  • Ilmr - Lost City
    Ilmr - Lost City Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Sage BM has.
    Aware of the Myriad
    . Lasts 30 seconds.

Who levels Marrows that high?
    edited February 2010
    Who levels Marrows that high?

Every BM. Why?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ilmr - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    You should hang out with better BMs! Leveling Marrow past like 5 or 6 gives terrible pdef or mdef that can be taken advantage of easily!

Hint: 120% reduction will bring you to about 0 pdef. 0 pdef is a good way to get yourself destroyed.
  • Ax - Harshlands
    Ax - Harshlands Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Every BM. Why?

Because most bms I know have it at like level 4. Or they use balance after casting it. ...

edit: beat me 2 it by like half a minute i guess.
    edited February 2010
    Because most bms I know have it at like level 4. Or they use balance after casting it. ...

edit: beat me 2 it by like half a minute i guess.

So. They don't level it for PVP with magic classes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ilmr - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Every BM. Why?

Level 4 gives a 60% mdef buff (good mdef) with a 60% pdef reduction that gets cancelled out by pdef buff (good pdef).

If you have like Sage Bell or constant Cleric buffs then be a pro and get level 11 Marrow!
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    lol what age are you living in? Every BM gets lv11 marrow nowadays.
  • Daedron - Sanctuary
    Daedron - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Sage BM has.
    Aware of the Myriad
    . Lasts 30 seconds.

It is quite efficient if you get in the right debuffs. Genie spark+extreme p+ undine with BT lets me hit about 6-7k on most BMs with mag marrow on. The BT is usually at the end of a fire skills sutra combo so can do about 12k or more if they are crits in there in a couple secs.
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You should hang out with better BMs! Leveling Marrow past like 5 or 6 gives terrible pdef or mdef that can be taken advantage of easily!

Hint: 120% reduction will bring you to about 0 pdef. 0 pdef is a good way to get yourself destroyed.

maxed sutra never do 0pdef or nearly that :P
    edited February 2010
    It is quite efficient if you get in the right debuffs. Genie spark+extreme p+ undine with BT lets me hit about 6-7k on most BMs with mag marrow on. The BT is usually at the end of a fire skills sutra combo so can do about 12k or more if they are crits in there in a couple secs.

Ty. For nice guide. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    As a sage it's hardly effective endgame. Even if you debuff with spark+undine, most BMs still have 9-10k pdef with marrow on. Dragon has much more potential with added critrate. If both self buffed I can oneshot a Lv100 BM with demon marrow and +6-7 gear (HH99 and event gear) with an Ice Dragon crit + EP + Undine + Frenzy. Does about 10-11k, BT doesn't even come close to that.
  • Daedron - Sanctuary
    Daedron - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm sage as well and I disagree on it not being effective. I have tested the spark+ep+undine debuff sage BT against a bm in my faction with 15k mag def with marrows on and he got hit about 5k non crit. My sage Bids non crit hit him 4.3k. This is not to say ofc that BT is better than Bids, sage Bids is the best skill for wiz sage/demon in the game bar none. Just showing however that BT can be effective against bms if used correctly.
  • BrownflameZ - Lost City
    BrownflameZ - Lost City Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm sage as well and I disagree on it not being effective. I have tested the spark+ep+undine debuff sage BT against a bm in my faction with 15k mag def with marrows on and he got hit about 5k non crit. My sage Bids non crit hit him 4.3k. This is not to say ofc that BT is better than Bids, sage Bids is the best skill for wiz sage/demon in the game bar none. Just showing however that BT can be effective against bms if used correctly.

What wep are you using? And how many times did you run this "test"?