Why did they bother with dungeon maps?

Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver
Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
If the dungeon maps aren't going to be of any use to us, why have them? All you can expect to do in a dungeon is click the M and see a basic outline, with no indication of where you are or the starting point. I know this will probably lead to loads of internet backlash, but I'm also sure at least someone will agree. All my faction members already think the same thing. It would really help if one could see where they're going if they go afk during a BH or something and need to find the others.
Post edited by Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I agree. At least a pointer or indicator to know your current location on the map would be nice. I got lost a great deal back in my nub days in fb39 and 51.
  • maocchi
    maocchi Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I agree. Dungeon maps are rubbish. The very LEAST they could do is pinpoint where you are in the dungeon so you don't have to stand there for 5 minutes trying to figure out what part of the entire map the mini map is showing. I often tend to get lost in TT maps and pressing M is the last thing to cross my mind when I want to figure out where I am, which is weird because it should rather be the first thing a player does in such cases.

Also, wishful thinking but it would be nice if we had the option to switch between dungeon map and world map...I feel so useless when faction mates ask a direction and I can't answer it because I can't look at the world map in dungeons.
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Just take a quick gander at the main dungeon map and compare it to the Mini-Map. It's really not that hard. If you're having trouble comparing rooms between the two, zoom out the Mini temporarily and you should have a good idea at least. It just takes a touch of observational skill. =)
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    is it that hard to figure it out from the mini map? no slightly annoying? yes.

I have had times in BH51 where someone came in after turning in the first BH and apparently hadnt done it very often and got lost. its hard to know where they are when all you can do is ask what the mini map looks like and they say they are in a brown room with 3 hallways going out of it.

on the main map i can be in dreamweaver and tell a low level in my faction where to find the revival herbs near hidden orchid just by following them on the map.

so +1 to the OP it would be very nice if they could put that feature in instances..........They did it in secret passage why not the rest of the maps
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Just take a quick gander at the main dungeon map and compare it to the Mini-Map. It's really not that hard. If you're having trouble comparing rooms between the two, zoom out the Mini temporarily and you should have a good idea at least. It just takes a touch of observational skill. =)

+1

All it takes is a little effort on your part to work out where you are on the dungeon map.
    OMG, yes, effort. This game is already handing itself to you - gear in packs, plenty of easy ways to level. Stop complaining that one or two things take a bit more effort and one or two more mouse clicks than everything else does, yeah?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Crazydan - Heavens Tear
    Crazydan - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,178 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    so want everythign done for u? so sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Geez come on guys, really =/ It's always the same old faces debating against every single thread regardless the topic.

A pointer on the map is hardly handing the game to you on a plate or causing nub players with a lack of skill. It's a pointer. It saves you a minute or two in the dungeon if you're new to it or lost your bearings. Just a little extra to make life easier so you can enjoy your gaming experience and relax. Because games are meant to be for fun, if you understand that word.

If you really believe it would make the game too easy, then go start a petition to have "find quest removed". I somehow bet you all use that feature frequently anyway and would be quite happy using a map pointer feature too -.-
  • Tremblewith - Heavens Tear
    Tremblewith - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,558 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I've always wanted a nice feature like that, but meh. I seriously doubt it would ever happen. I learned the hard way and don't have to use those lame maps. I just naturally know where to go in most places nao.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    It could be worse... like the map of OHT.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited February 2010

What map of OHT?

b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I say do away with the maps and make the instances all random.
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Furtive - Heavens Tear
    Furtive - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Is not that hard, just look at the minimap and then at the map
    First time i was in fb79 dungeon i had to go look for last tab and when i came in i already knew how to get back thanks to the map, a pointer is not so neceesary
  • maocchi
    maocchi Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Geez come on guys, really =/ It's always the same old faces debating against every single thread regardless the topic.

A pointer on the map is hardly handing the game to you on a plate or causing nub players with a lack of skill. It's a pointer. It saves you a minute or two in the dungeon if you're new to it or lost your bearings. Just a little extra to make life easier so you can enjoy your gaming experience and relax. Because games are meant to be for fun, if you understand that word.

If you really believe it would make the game too easy, then go start a petition to have "find quest removed". I somehow bet you all use that feature frequently anyway and would be quite happy using a map pointer feature too -.-
    +1
    I would challenge those who oppose this idea to list one thing that will affect the gameplay experience negatively, because I don't understand why suggesting something that's already implemented in the game to be used for another part of the game is so bad.

Steve: Hey Bill, you know what would be nice to have on a computer? Some kind of feature that allows you to dock shortcuts to all of your favorite programs into one bar and pops up when mouse touches somewhere on the screen. It would make lives easier for many users!

Bill: No, shut up. If they can't even go through their HD directories everytime they want to launch a program they are just bunch of QQers. And you fail for suggesting an idea to make lives easier for the user base.

Disclaimer: All characters in this skit are fictional. Any similarities to any person, place, or thing are purely coincidental.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I have no problem with it, but not all pple are good map readers....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Are you all people who cant go where you want in the real world by following a map? I've never seen a map with a pointer following it. Oh wait, age of GPS systems. Seriously? You dont need a pointer to just follow your progress and learn the map. Just have a little direction sense and you'll know where you are.

Ok on this point it would be nice if they actually put SOME map into the game there. And Old Valley of the Scarred, and Old Unicorn Forest, and Old Moonshade Desert.
  • wtvdie
    wtvdie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Do you know how old style game used to be played? People took out a bad of paper and started making their own maps. hmmm. Aren't we lucky we have a map and a radar??
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I think it's perfect the way it is. It doesn't give too much away, adding to the "dungeon" feeling, yet it still helps out if you get lost. Well, it helps me out, at least.

But like Deceptistar said, not all people are good map readers.... But that's not my problem. :P
    Belligero
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    boo4u wrote: »
    what ever u do..do not..i meen do not follow a barb anywhere in a instance...

Psh. We can lead. As long as you don't be stupid and rush ahead of them, especially if you're squishy.
    Belligero
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    If the dungeon maps aren't going to be of any use to us, why have them? All you can expect to do in a dungeon is click the M and see a basic outline, with no indication of where you are or the starting point. I know this will probably lead to loads of internet backlash, but I'm also sure at least someone will agree. All my faction members already think the same thing. It would really help if one could see where they're going if they go afk during a BH or something and need to find the others.
    get into fb89 or 69 (89 is most confusing) once you walk in you make one wrong turn you WILL get lost. but with subtle ideas of where you are, and a little experimentation you can find where you are with the map.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited February 2010

I am agree with these kind of idea, that not mean to make the game simply easy but help game play.
    But, i found some people reject a idea like these, because they don't want future newbie to have easier time than they and they don't think these will help the game play anymore other than :

" You were Q Q ing because you lost in the map. . . "

But some people always blame people that get lost in their squad . . . i have a friend that can't read map and no pointer was more worse to them. (because people that can't read map by nature of them ownself is exist)

(About the confusing map with no pointer some player think it give you skill as player, but other people think it was like that because developer being lazy. Me myself always get confused feeling each time i press M, not because i can't match the map with mini map in instance but simply because i can't see pointer endofstory.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i agree. i always turn off mine, to have that much less on the screen, especially now with that bleeping new chat window they stuck in. bloody thing is an incredible nuisance!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Well, I've always thought that the lack of showing squadmates in instance maps was part of the whole atmosphere of the instance. You're in a dark cave with dozens of strong monsters, being disoriented is part of the instance experience. It only takes a few seconds to look the mini map and compare it to the large map. I would really like the squad positioning dots enabled in instances since it would be a lot easier.

But, the truth is that the map GPS dosen't have reception in caves and other areas.b:quiet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    ...then whats the map for, if you dont even know where the entrance is on it? it wasnt until fairly recently that they even marked that.

...guess thats a step in the right direction. lets hope they put in a tracker next.

Well, I've always thought that the lack of showing squadmates in instance maps was part of the whole atmosphere of the instance. You're in a dark cave with dozens of strong monsters, being disoriented is part of the instance experience. It only takes a few seconds to look the mini map and compare it to the large map. I would really like the squad positioning dots enabled in instances since it would be a lot easier.

But, the truth is that the map GPS dosen't have reception in caves and other areas.b:quiet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Let's take a look at something.

IRL, when you look at a REAL map, do you see dots where you stand and where you need to go?

Not AFAIK. On GPS yeah, but on MAPS? No.

So yeah. Not so much of a big deal. Annoying yes, I hate working with maps myself, but yeah.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This game should have a complete "AUTO" feature.

So you don't really need to think for yourself, or do anything for yourself. You can just watch your char follow the map how it needs to, and to attack and kill. So you can just sit back and watch it like a good movie. lol

Seriously, that's where this is all leading.

I wonder what most of the newer players would do without autopath. So many of them would QQ... "omg how can I do my world quest now?" lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This game should have a complete "AUTO" feature.

So you don't really need to think for yourself, or do anything for yourself. You can just watch your char follow the map how it needs to, and to attack and kill. So you can just sit back and watch it like a good movie. lol

Seriously, that's where this is all leading.
    you mean like JD? to an extent it's likable, but it makes the game boring real fast. I only turn it on when I need to multi-task.
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Siege - Dreamweaver
    Siege - Dreamweaver Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Let's take a look at something.

IRL

Stopped reading there, seriously guys. Why are you debating about a pointer being added to the fb maps? If anything it'll make the fb go that much faster so newbs won't get lost and get themselves killed.

To the guy that's bringing real life into this... don't. You failed at making your point because real life (every day life that is) does not have monsters that'll come after you if you get close to them does it? (Oh and lets not forget the runner mobs in the fb.)

I know some of you like to keep the whole "I r tough guy I no need pointer, you QQer" attitude but you're forgetting that not all newbies squad with veterans. Some do their fbs only with other newbies.

I lol'd at the fb being dark btw. If it's supposed to be dark then how are you reading the map? :/
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Its seriously not that hard to determine your location on the map. My first fb 79/89 were both soloed. I didnt get lost. I knew where the bosses are, I knew where the starting was, and I knew which direction I was going in after briefly looking at the mini map.

Honestly, its not that hard. Even for beginners. I did all my fbs (long time ago) with a squad (or soloed) plus maximum 5 levels above me, we never got "lost". Only stuck on bosses + squad wipe.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Siege - Dreamweaver
    Siege - Dreamweaver Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Yes it's all about the experiences you had, [sarcasm]everyone knows how the game works as soon as they play it.[/end sarcasm]>_>

Ok good for you, you found out how the FBs are. But what about the newbies? I don't think they'd want to keep dying because they keep going down the wrong path of an fb.

You guys can keep boasting about how leet you are with the fbs and it's maps, but it doesn't change the fact that not all beginners will find it easy to get around the fb.
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Nobody started pro. We all had to learn our ways. You learn from mistakes, you learn from trials, and you learn from overcoming them.

Nothing is supposed to be "easy" for newbies. That's why they're newbies. Because they don't have the experience veterans do. As they play and learn, they get better and they are better able to appreciate and utilize the tools available to them.

You don't learn from having things made easy for you, and you don't jump higher by having the bar set lower.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]