Veno lures.

Shivalia - Lost City
Shivalia - Lost City Posts: 883 Arc User
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
I'm curious to know how many people actually know and use what I've read was 'supposed' to be the way that venos are to lure, or by using their pets. Basically that using pets to lure was not initially the way we were meant to lure. (I'm not sure if this is the case, but it was what I read somewhere that it was.)

Pet lure: Send pet to attack mob, stow, you have pulled the mob.

Skill lure: Skill 'Tame pet', you have pulled mob, no need to store or recall pet.(MUST have pet on manual, not attack automatically, or else they will run in.)

Who knew of this skill lure as a successful and useful tactic, who didn't know of it, who uses it, and who hates it? Just cause I'm curious. b:pleased
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
Post edited by Shivalia - Lost City on

Comments

• Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    tame lure uses mp which i need o_o and takes a while so i mainly pet lure.

only time il tame lure is bosses in fb59 etc unwined so i can pull the boss from the pack of 4, pet lure pulls boss and adds i think where as tame lure dosent.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I generally use pet lure, though there are a few occasions I'll use tame lure instead.
    only time il tame lure is bosses in fb59 etc unwined so i can pull the boss from the pack of 4, pet lure pulls boss and adds i think where as tame lure dosent.

Pet lure is perfectly fine in FB59. The place you can't pull just the boss from the adds with the pet is FB39, I haven't tested to see if tame lure works here (I doubt it, adds follow the boss in this dungeon.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    I use herc and I've found myself tanking 59 quite often so tame lure has become really useful to me. b:victory I actually learned about it right after I got him, so one fail of luring with reflected buff, I've learned to love my tame lure with 'little' Goren. b:pleased Never have to worry about pulling more than I want, and don't have to stow him, pull him back out and rebuff him. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wonderful drawing of Shivalia done by the ever talented Shirrii of Heavens Tear. b:heart Much love to you forever!
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I used to use tame lure for farming fb79. Since I would need herc to tank right away, and not bother to resummon after stowing for pet lure. Never used it ever again. My cactus lures fine now. Plus, my tame pet uses bucketloads of mp.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    I used to use tame lure for farming fb79. Since I would need herc to tank right away, and not bother to resummon after stowing for pet lure. Never used it ever again. My cactus lures fine now. Plus, my tame pet uses bucketloads of mp.

It never really seemed to be anything to me as far as the amount of mp used for it. :< Maybe cause I'm pure magic build so I've usually got more mp than I know what to do with. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I rotate between Zeal lure & Tame pet. Basically halves the MP consumption of constant Taming lures, but fills in the gap between Zeal's energy regeneration. I used to pet lure all the time, but ever since i got Herc, it gets signifigantly more annoying to resummon & then throw it in, rebuff after 1st hit, manually set auto to Bash again, etc etc etc. If it is a situation where i need to pet lure, i often use a cactus's ranged attack (no skills on auto). Only in extreme cases (FB99 boss pulls come to mind) with a long distance and many many adds, will i use Herc itself to lure, and that means someone else catches. If i were alone in those cases i'd clear the adds with various lures 1st.

By the way all that wasnt covered in one of your choices, so i didnt participate in the poll. b:chuckleb:surrender
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    I rotate between Zeal lure & Tame pet. Basically halves the MP consumption of constant Taming lures, but fills in the gap between Zeal's energy regeneration. I used to pet lure all the time, but ever since i got Herc, it gets signifigantly more annoying to resummon & then throw it in, rebuff after 1st hit, manually set auto to Bash again, etc etc etc. If it is a situation where i need to pet lure, i often use a cactus's ranged attack (no skills on auto). Only in extreme cases (FB99 boss pulls come to mind) with a long distance and many many adds, will i use Herc itself to lure, and that means someone else catches. If i were alone in those cases i'd clear the adds with various lures 1st.

By the way all that wasnt covered in one of your choices, so i didnt participate in the poll. b:chuckleb:surrender

No problem. b:chuckle Long post>poll answer. b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElDante - Harshlands
    ElDante - Harshlands Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Never played Veno, but tame lures are 90% of what Herc Venos of my squad used on BH in fb89
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Never played Veno, but tame lures are 90% of what Herc Venos of my squad used on BH in fb89

I'm glad I learned about it when I did, then. XD Sounds like its the best bet for herc venos. I'm happy I didn't miss out on that and become a failure by not figuring out why I keep pulling 20 mobs at a time by luring with my herc. @_@
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Using ranged pet to lure. (forget the name, it looks like a monkey around lv 40 to tame if not wrong)
    Because it ranged b:victory it can avoid getting hit and accidentally pull mobs near the target.
    (turn off the skill attack, so it wil become ranged)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I've only seen a veno use tame lure once in my life. I learned about it myself a while back, but rarely use it basically because I hate switching manual on/off over and over.
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    I've only seen a veno use tame lure once in my life. I learned about it myself a while back, but rarely use it basically because I hate switching manual on/off over and over.

I use manual all the time. b:puzzled Its a good safeguard for me. I always know where he is and what he's doing rather than running off to the next attacking mob if I don't want him to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I prefer to use my pet to lure. I ganerally time it right, so my pet is out and running toward the mob before it can get near me, and for me, it's a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing, so I'll probably not try the tame lure...
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad I learned about it when I did, then. XD Sounds like its the best bet for herc venos. I'm happy I didn't miss out on that and become a failure by not figuring out why I keep pulling 20 mobs at a time by luring with my herc. @_@

Taking reflect off herc would not make you lure 20 mobs at a time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Taking reflect off herc would not make you lure 20 mobs at a time.

NOT taking reflect off of him would. Not literally 20.. but you get the idea. Did I type something wrong?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    NOT taking reflect off of him would. Not literally 20.. but you get the idea. Did I type something wrong?

Yeah. The trick is, unsummon, resummon herc. Don't apply the reflect buff - do apply the defence buffs (because if you didn't need those buffs you'd not be using herc to lure) - send herc in and lure as normal.

It's annoying and fiddly, but it does work. Mostly I use the monkey.
  • Shivalia - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    Yeah. The trick is, unsummon, resummon herc. Don't apply the reflect buff - do apply the defence buffs (because if you didn't need those buffs you'd not be using herc to lure) - send herc in and lure as normal.

It's annoying and fiddly, but it does work. Mostly I use the monkey.

Yes. But having to stow it before using it to lure is something I wouldn't do if I wasn't aware of the reflect effect and that it lures more than just the mob you're wanting to lure if they are close. I'm just one of those people who would just sit and wonder 'WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING!?!?' when it would do that. :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AinaMizuako - Sanctuary
    AinaMizuako - Sanctuary Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I've only used Tame Lure once before, and that was in a fun Eden run a friend of mine took me along with because I knew the way and she wanted to see it. Having another veno to heal a yellow lardball is also useful, I suppose. :p

Mostly I lure using my pet, but I despise luring and would rather send my pet in and take them all. <.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh look, i'm inactive again.

b> leviciti b:cry
  • Vintersun - Sanctuary
    Vintersun - Sanctuary Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I only pet lure, and I use it alot when grinding so that I can be become better at it and to be usefull in a squad but also give me a safer distance from other mobs. I tried tame lure once but didn't like it that much, I would only use it if I had to.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)Gotta Love Bunnies!
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    While my alt is currently Hercless, pet lure works just fine. Tame lure would be a waste of MP given the dungeons a 58 veno goes into and given the fact she doesn't have a Herc that would require rebuffing upon summoning.

Once I get that final 5.5k SoF I have little doubt I'll probably be using tame lure more often. Although, that said... I might just stick with pet lure sometimes so when I get a Kowlin, he doesn't sit around all lonely not doing anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rapidbunny
    rapidbunny Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Know, but don't use.

3 reasons why tame pet is awfull and I would advise to never use it:
    - SLOOOOOW(really using glacial to pull would be faster lol),
    - mana consuming...,
    - really low range.

Above make it risky in many situations and we have much better option.

If you need to lure something you must tank with a herc, get a zeal genie the higher lvl the better even with awfull stats(primary skills cost less with genie lvl). If you need to pull often and the place requires herc just invest into zeal with high vit/mag at least like 70+ lvl and primary skill.(Highly possible there will be at least 1-2 other ppl with Zeal if you're in squad.)

In any other situations you get any ranged pet or which is also good and I kind of prefer it, fast pet(puppy/kowlin/ninetail) with his skills turned off(normal attack much faster than skill cast), most of the time you can pull back those fast pets before any mob hits them(even if they die they usually hit and they're good only for pulling anyway), you can also get any pet with "tough" which will cut >all< dmg by 50%(maxed) for like 15 seconds - enough to pull anything.

Said all that in most situations, pulling with veno is just a show-off of her pets, I like to pull with my gnome sometimes just to hear stupid comments and fun stuff "Who's the father?", "Your kid got his face after his father for sure." etc.. :3

PS. My little tip for venos which think manual pet control is too hard for them - set pet attack under "Q", eventually pet skills under 1-4, assuming you play using keyboard(wsad) + mouse you should feel much better with manual after you get used to it and good pet control for veno comes always before everything else. Customization and manual FTW >.>
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    oi oi yah esoteric common knowledge for venos the tame actually lure who woulda guessed it. I use it for luring fb bosses holy path is your friend mostly things like 79 my favorite is linus and brigand fun stuff. If it can kill you easy don't use tame if it can't use it away. Its cheap its effective and 1200 mana is nothing to a 7k plus mana pool at my level need more mana well I got skills for a reason. Plus its alot more fun luring with your face is more fun then luring with a pet but most of the time pet, pet is for luring
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I use pet lure with my cactopod in some cases where bosses are grouped with adds and you can't get too close.

Aside from that, genie lure is what I use most. Tame pet is useful sometimes but if you happen to be one of those venos that levelled it up a bit it does consume a lot of mana (mine is only at level 4 but is an issue). Also, depending on how fast the pulled mob is killed, Tame's cooldown may not be finished. A genie with some points stacked in magic has a pretty good energy regen rate and I find that works best, and faster than waiting for Tame to channel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Loner - Harshlands
    Loner - Harshlands Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I use both. Sometimes tame for faster, but it requires you to go close, so sometimes its inconvenient.
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i didnt know off it til a short time ago but i never did it and always lure with pet on my veno though she has no herc
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You forgot to add the option "I lure with pet, and didn't know about luring with catch-pet, but even though now I know it I wouldn't use it cause the channeling is very long and it consumes a lot of mp."
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    i dont use tame lure... i never leveled up my tame skill (because i dont farm rare and any other pet will tame with low hp no matter the skill level) and i think at the lvl it is I only get a range of 10 meters. So no go on that.
    Its usually my armored bear with lvl 5 tough that does the pulling for me, or in some cases i'll use a zeal to save some time if i can.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Lazyluna - Heavens Tear
    Lazyluna - Heavens Tear Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I pet lure. Send pet forward, get one hit in, stow, resummon and run a few steps back while pet regrabs aggro so I don't kiss dirt.

Pet luring was the intended way before genies came about. I remember when people fought over the pet aggro being a glitch. (Only what the pet hit comes after the veno instead of the entire mob.) It was confirmed that this was intentional so venos could lure. It was our nitch in parties. (Don't get me wrong, pet tanking is great sometimes. Aggro keeping just turns into its own extra step, is all. A Barb who can spam Flesh Ream is much easier on everyone else.)

Tame lure... lol. A waste of time and MP for me. Plus I have to get way too close to the hungry wraiths. Pet lure works great for me, so I would never bother changing my tactics unless it was needed.

[For any noob reading this and going, "what about Hercs?!" Hercs and Nix didn't exist in PWI back then. So they were NOT a veno's nitch. We had pet luring. Solo farming TTs for mats was also our thing. I think it still is?]
    b:bye RETIRED
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You forgot to add the option "I lure with pet, and didn't know about luring with catch-pet, but even though now I know it I wouldn't use it cause the channeling is very long and it consumes a lot of mp."
    The channeling is about as long as it takes to stow and resummon your pet; shorter than how long it takes to stow, resummon, and buff a herc.

The mana consumption depends on your tame level. You're actually best off leaving it at level 1, where it only takes 150 mana. At higher levels, this is the same or less than a single attack spell, so pretty much negligible. I leveled mine to 6 back when I didn't know better, so it costs me 900 mana. But I still use it as a backup to my zeal genie, especially if there's a cleric in the squad.

The biggest problem is actually the cast delay. For 1 sec after the mob starts running to attack you, you are frozen during the cast delay, unable to move. Makes it less useful in higher instances, where the mobs run faster.

Edit:
    i dont use tame lure... i never leveled up my tame skill (because i dont farm rare and any other pet will tame with low hp no matter the skill level) and i think at the lvl it is I only get a range of 10 meters. So no go on that.
    The description is wrong. The range stays the same regardless of level, and seems to be about the same as your attack spells, maybe a little shorter. I've never had problems with getting into aggro range while using it (even before I leveled it). It has an advantage over genie luring in that if you target a far-away mob and hit the skill, your character will auto-run to the maximum range and start casting. With a genie, you get the "target out of range" message and have to more forward a bit and try again. Yeah you could just use an attack skill to get to the right range for a genie. But those have a short channel time. Tame's long channel makes it really easy to abort.
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    From what i saw lately ingame "new" Veno's(either alt chars or real newcomers) are really horrible and even doesn't know their role in game. I mean wth if squad must luring mobs in instances by using Zeals if they had Veno but that Veno either has pet which neither can tank or lure??? And i'm not talking about lvl 30-50 but 70-90.
    b:shocked