HP vs Phys def

Oannes - Harshlands
Oannes - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Psychic
Hi I was wondering what the general consensus of the psychic community was on sharding armor. I was wondering what ratio of hp shards to physical defense shards I should put on my armor. So far I feel going with 4 pieces of armor with HP shards and 2 pieces of armor with phys def shards is sufficient. Some might argue that more physical def may be needed but my thought on this is that using psychics will we can manage this shortcoming.

So any ideas on to what ratio the sharding should be done to gain maximum efficiency? All thoughts welcome b:victory
Post edited by Oannes - Harshlands on

Comments

• Szol - Harshlands
    Szol - Harshlands Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    been doing it like this :
    got +pdef stats on all my arcane gear till i hit 80 , means
    eg 70 : genesis , 3 sockets , 2 stats +69pdeff , 1 stat hp , sharding hp
    atm im wearing tt80gold , sharding pdeff ..

cant really say what to shard , unless u give som info about ur stats b:laugh

as a general rule of thumb , especially in later lvls , or when hitting gear that ull wear a longer time than the pre 80/90 stuff , go shard pdeff , as u get a good bunch of hp from refining. and refingin armors to +3 should be obtainable for everyone, cashshopper or not. just do it with mirages ... even less expensive atm , as everyone is running TT at douple drop... later on can get armor to like +4/5 with some TT running and farming mats - means u get something around 6*100-120hp from armor, and shard all or nearly all pdeff. would be the *easiest* way , but not sure if its the cheapestb:surrender

hope i could help, and made myself clear
  • Selador - Heavens Tear
    Selador - Heavens Tear Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    My build is pure magic and the way I did mine was get my physical resistance to at least 35% (it's 37% now), since I got some p.def from my belt and necklace, I sharded my armor, sleeves, pants, and shoes with mostly garnets and 1 citrine each. For the cape and helmet theyre all citrines. So I was leaning towards pdef more without leaving added hp behind. Hp you can get from refines anyway.
  • Szol - Harshlands
    Szol - Harshlands Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    pdeff ornaments should be a obvious thing unless tanking magic bosses , but i guess u know that by know

ah just saw, seladot posted it already - nvm then ^^
  • Oannes - Harshlands
    Oannes - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the info guys, and ya totally forgot to mention my build b:surrender. I'm going pure build, 9 mag and 1 str every 2 lvls. I was thinking on what szol was telling and it does make more sense to gain hp from refining to +3/4 than by sharding. Looks like I'll be going 3 pieces of armor with garnets and the rest with hp.
  • Danja - Raging Tide
    Danja - Raging Tide Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    im not saying that im an expert oppinion on the matter but since physical defence is on a curve that the damage reduction from each point is less the more you have and adding HP in linear and increases hp regeneration.

my vote is for HP shards provided that you have all the +phy Def you can get from ornaments and armor.
    THE DANN
  • Reico_M - Dreamweaver
    Reico_M - Dreamweaver Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I've been completely sharding with HP, since white voodoo reduces the damage I take from phys mobs enough that more phys def isn't really all that needed. Even though I am a pure mag build, wearing arcane armor.
  • arekei18avenged
    arekei18avenged Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Mhh, i would say its the combination of both: HP and phys def. always try to find Phys Def Armorparts and imbue HP soulgems. Thats my way, hope it can help.

As example:
    Hat:
    +39 phys def
    identified:
    +69
    +69
    soulgems:
    +25 hp
    +25 hp
    +25 hp

Its hard to find good things like this, but you justh ave to go throug all shops and have a bit luck at BH/FB. ^^
  • Confound - Harshlands
    Confound - Harshlands Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Personally I've gone half an half, an equal number of p. def and hp shards.

I have 1.5k p. def and 2.8k hp. Works well for me. I can hold my own in PvP, easily taking down BMs and archers of similar level, but i'd be useless without a charm. :P
  • Magikrap - Lost City
    Magikrap - Lost City Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Hi I was wondering what the general consensus of the psychic community was on sharding armor. I was wondering what ratio of hp shards to physical defense shards I should put on my armor. So far I feel going with 4 pieces of armor with HP shards and 2 pieces of armor with phys def shards is sufficient. Some might argue that more physical def may be needed but my thought on this is that using psychics will we can manage this shortcoming.

So any ideas on to what ratio the sharding should be done to gain maximum efficiency? All thoughts welcome b:victory

depends on you gear and stat build

calculate your effective hit points with various shard combinations

formula :

EHP= hit points / (1-damage reduction(as decimal))

simple guessing or using intuition kinda fails
  • frodobagels
    frodobagels Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    depends on you gear and stat build

calculate your effective hit points with various shard combinations

formula :

EHP= hit points / (1-damage reduction(as decimal))

if you are good at differentiation you could differenitae this forumula to find best shards combination max EHP

simple guessing or using intuition kinda fails

This looks fail unless specific examples are given. The bit about "differentiation" is very amusing as well. Helpful post indeed. vomits. b:chuckle
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    hmm
    I would say follow a cleric's sharding technique.

All citrines pre-99 and refine your ornaments for your pdef. At 99 go all garnets and use refines for HP.

Unlike wizards, you dont have a skill that increases your pdef by 100% so stacking so much pdef is probably not worth it unless you can get a huge amount without sacrificing HP.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Magikrap - Lost City
    Magikrap - Lost City Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    This looks fail unless specific examples are given. The bit about "differentiation" is very amusing as well. Helpful post indeed. vomits. b:chuckle

yeh im not sure about the differntiating actually

forumula works (specific examples?)

subsitute your values in to check your EHP

subsitute potentially possible values to check your EHP again

compare