Up and Down Arrows

Riaee - Raging Tide
Riaee - Raging Tide Posts: 55 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Suggestion Box
I dont think the up and down keys should be preserved. I always use these keys not only because im right handed but because Im usually holding my daughter while she sleeps and I cant really use my left hand as well. I also think we should just be able to choose whatever key suits each person. Every game I played I was using the arrow keys and I have grown quite accostumed to it. PLEASE change it back to the way it was before.b:victory
Post edited by Riaee - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    If you don't like the way the controls are set up by default, then you can change them. They added in keybinding recently and (if the most recent patch notes are to be trusted), they're even saved now.

If you don't know where they are, then click on the settings toolbar at the bottom (the one that looks like gears). Then click on the button that has an f1 key on it. That's the keybinding menu. The movement settings are at the very bottom of the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    If you don't like the way the controls are set up by default, then you can change them. They added in keybinding recently and (if the most recent patch notes are to be trusted), they're even saved now.

Keybinding does not work using specific keys, the up/down and escape keys are examples of this. The OP is trying to suggest to make these keys mappable and changeable. Currently, when you try to map shortcuts onto these keys, a message appears saying something about reserved for the system.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Riaee - Raging Tide
    edited January 2010
    i just think that its pointless to do that when a lot of ppl are used to using thier up and own arrows to move. Whats the point of being able to use the left and right arrows but not the up and down ones. Its not like theyre being used for somthing else in the game. You just cant use them for anything at all an this is throwing me off. Im not used to the wasd keys to move.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    If you use your right hand to move with arrow keys, how you hold your mouse?
    I doubt with left hand, cause you said you used that for other things (and were right handed. I don't think alot of right handed people can use a left handed mouse)

You can obviusly just go and walk by clicking. No buttons needed, and always the mouse present
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Technotic - Sanctuary
    Technotic - Sanctuary Posts: 591 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Personally, i don't think any key should be reserved. If I want my "X" button to shoot spell number 4, that is what it should be.
    Say my name 3 times, I dare you.

~Technotic
    TrueMyths.Guildplex.com
  • Azus - Heavens Tear
    Azus - Heavens Tear Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i just think that its pointless to do that when a lot of ppl are used to using thier up and own arrows to move. Whats the point of being able to use the left and right arrows but not the up and down ones. Its not like theyre being used for somthing else in the game. You just cant use them for anything at all an this is throwing me off. Im not used to the wasd keys to move.

The up and down keys are actually used to adjust elevation while flyingb:chuckle

Just thought I would chuck that in there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"While it is good to have an end to journey toward, it is the journey that matters the most in the end"
  • Riaee - Raging Tide
    edited February 2010
    If you use your right hand to move with arrow keys, how you hold your mouse?
    I doubt with left hand, cause you said you used that for other things (and were right handed. I don't think alot of right handed people can use a left handed mouse)

You can obviusly just go and walk by clicking. No buttons needed, and always the mouse present

i have a laptop so its easy to manuever my right hand back and forth from the mouse and the arrow keys then i use my left hand to use all other keys but now i have to rearrange everything. its possible but its a real headache and i die more because i accidentally use the arrow keys instead of the wasd keys.
    The up and down keys are actually used to adjust elevation while flyingb:chuckle

It used to be the w and s keys that were used to fly before the change.
  • Taranta - Dreamweaver
    Taranta - Dreamweaver Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Perhaps, as a possible solution prior to this remap feature (and possibly eliminating the need for it) you should try resetting your movement keys to ijkl. It's still close to the arrows on a laptop, benefits the right hand, and keeps your left hand free. All you'd have to do is swap the mapping for those keys with wasd and you'd be all set.
    I shall dominate the Dreamweaver server through the use of Baked goods...and only baked goods.^^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venomancers are Female. Barbarians are male. It will forever be this way. So suck it up and deal with it already.
  • Riaee - Raging Tide
    edited February 2010

that could be a possibility but still whats stopping them for them from letting us choose our own keys?
  • Azus - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    It used to be the w and s keys that were used to fly before the change.

W and S were always used to go forward and back when flying. Up and down were still used for elevation..... actually if I remember properly Z could be used to lower altitude as well lol.

Not trying to get into a flame war or argument, it's just this is how it has always been.

I do agree though, it would be nice to be able to remap every button.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"While it is good to have an end to journey toward, it is the journey that matters the most in the end"
  • Riaee - Raging Tide
    edited February 2010
    W and S were always used to go forward and back when flying. Up and down were still used for elevation..... actually if I remember properly Z could be used to lower altitude as well lol.

Not trying to get into a flame war or argument, it's just this is how it has always been.

I do agree though, it would be nice to be able to remap every button.

Yeah I remember that but you used to be able change the w and s and the up and down arrows to whatever you wanted but now theyve changed it so that you cant change the up and down arrows at all now.
  • Azus - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I remember that but you used to be able change the w and s and the up and down arrows to whatever you wanted but now theyve changed it so that you cant change the up and down arrows at all now.

Yes actually, I think I remember something about that. Didn't the hotkey customization come with Rising Tide, allowing you to customize every key?

Must have been the next patch that got rid of complete customization.

So I mean, it was only for a week or two you could change WASD, and the up and down wasn't it?

Feel free to correct me, I just never bothered with customizing the keys.b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Riaee - Raging Tide
    edited February 2010
    Yes actually, I think I remember something about that. Didn't the hotkey customization come with Rising Tide, allowing you to customize every key?

Must have been the next patch that got rid of complete customization.

So I mean, it was only for a week or two you could change WASD, and the up and down wasn't it?

Feel free to correct me, I just never bothered with customizing the keys.b:thanks

Yeah that's how it was when I started back in January. I don't know how long it was like that before I came on but I got really comfortable with it because all other MMOs(Shaiya & Rappelz) that I've played before, I used the same keys so I was already comfortable with it before.