3rd party modification

Col_Hannibal - Sanctuary
Col_Hannibal - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
Hi guys,

Not long ago, I downloaded a program, called censored. It allows you to run any program twice or more at the same time. My question is, is it prohibited to use with PW or not?

Thank you :)
Post edited by Col_Hannibal - Sanctuary on

Comments

• AinaMizuako - Sanctuary
    AinaMizuako - Sanctuary Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Using any third party programs with PWI is illegal, iirc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh look, i'm inactive again.

b> leviciti b:cry
  • Col_Hannibal - Sanctuary
    Col_Hannibal - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Thank you for your answer, I wont use it then. :)
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Also, running two instances of PW on the same computer is against the rules, no matter how you do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    As a general rule of thumb if you think it might be wrong then its wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndyNagato - Lost City
    AndyNagato - Lost City Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Using any third party programs with PWI is illegal, iirc.
    THIS is incorrect, but multiclienting is illegal. they just arent supported by the company.

as long as the third party program isnt a method of cheating, usually theyre USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. people just blindly label cheating programs as 'third party program use' when its such a blanket term.
  • Foxgrit - Lost City
    Foxgrit - Lost City Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    THIS is incorrect, but multiclienting is illegal. they just arent supported by the company.

as long as the third party program isnt a method of cheating, usually theyre USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. people just blindly label cheating programs as 'third party program use' when its such a blanket term.

actually he was correct. using any 3rd party program with PWI is 100% illegal with no exceptions.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    actually he was correct. using any 3rd party program with PWI is 100% illegal with no exceptions.
    Except for the exceptions. Like XFire, for example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010

So using Fraps with PWI is bannable huh? Or Gamecam?

Wow. Guess they should ban me now. I'm haxoring with my vid files!

~Saitada
  • Foxgrit - Lost City
    Foxgrit - Lost City Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    they are not modifying any type of file just recording what is on your screen. not exactly the same thing.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Hi guys,

Not long ago, I downloaded a program, called Game Renamer. It allows you to run any program twice or more at the same time. My question is, is it prohibited to use with PW or not?

Thank you :)
    Also, running two instances of PW on the same computer is against the rules, no matter how you do it.

yep what Aadi has said don't use teh "Game Renamer"
    that be a 3rd party program designed to multiclient
    appears to be similar to what me support team has designed for me when me played other mmorpgs. (now don't worry me has wiped out everything before playing PWI in order to make sure me won't accidentally use it and get ban hamstered.)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    they are not modifying any type of file just recording what is on your screen. not exactly the same thing.

Not true. While they do record whats on your screen, they also input images to your screen (FPS for instance). Oh and btw, if they recorded just whats on my screen then they should also record all my desktop that shows as I run in windowed mode.

They don't, so they are making modifications to game files to allow them to record the game only. While those may be nothing more than global hooks to the video dll files, it is nevertheless technically modifying the files.

S
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    They don't, so they are making modifications to game files to allow them to record the game only. While those may be nothing more than global hooks to the video dll files, it is nevertheless technically modifying the files.

S

Wrong. They don't touch the game files. There is much more easier ways to select the screen than what you said. For example, FRAPS detects if the game window is using DirectX or OpenGL. If so, it thinks it's a game. And it links itself to the DX or OpenGL files, which aren't part of the game.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • sihndra
    sihndra Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Good point Saitada, but running Fraps/GameCam/Xfire is indeed legal, and we even encourage its use for video evidence of cheating/glitches in some cases.

and otherwise how would I get my weekly dose of TW youtubes? b:flower

As always, multiclienting (running 2+ copies of PWI on a single computer) is bannable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Sihndra wrote: »
    Good point Saitada, but running Fraps/GameCam/Xfire is indeed legal, and we even encourage its use for video evidence of cheating/glitches in some cases.

and otherwise how would I get my weekly dose of TW youtubes? b:flower

As always, multiclienting (running 2+ copies of PWI on a single computer) is bannable.

b:flower
    Sihndra
    :D
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited January 2010

@foxgrit
    this is correct. someone made a buff timer mod, which eatwithspoons said was use at your own risk. the link wasnt taken down, as long as the third party program isnt cheating, its generally ok.

xfire has many ingame mods that dont affect your ability to get ahead of someone illegally, so its cool. those include a messenger, an INGAME internet browser, live game broadcasting, an FPS counter, among many other neato features.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.