Is it just me...

Options
VBloodFangv - Dreamweaver
VBloodFangv - Dreamweaver Posts: 123 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
...or is this game starting to feel totally and utterly pointless? b:sweat

The only thing that matters in the game is real-life cash. The GMs saw how well Golden Eggs sold a few months ago, and went absolutely berserk. Since then the game has been becoming more commercial at an exponential rate. Hard work is no longer rewarded... between hyper exp and packs containing lunar / frost / nirvana items, everything can be bought pretty instantly with cash. Furthermore, with 2x drops coming up soon, the last way of making money in-game (TT) is going to be eliminated. When Hyper EXP is installed, I expect a whole new wave of cash whores to come let the rest of us now how inferior we are to still be struggling with the 80s and 90s as they hit the lvl cap with their +12 lunar gear.

Thx for **** us over yet another time. b:thanks b:surrender
Post edited by VBloodFangv - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You can restart this game at any time.

At your level character know most of skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Personally, I don't see what the problem is. Are you playing to enjoy the game for yourself? Or are you playing to one up other players? If your suffering from the "I have this, I'm better than you!" syndrome, then you need to quit now. If on the other hand, you play to enjoy the game, do things you like, and to hell with anyone else.. then there really is no problem here.

So what is it?

"I gotta keep up with the joneses!"

or

"I'm having fun and enjoying myself, so who cares?"

~Saitada
  • Conavar - Heavens Tear
    Conavar - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    No its not pointless

Bounty Hunter
    Level 100+ players have a chance to get 8 Ultimate Substances from the Sack of Observation after completing the 1st Bounty Hunter of the day.

8 Subs \o/ YaY

Wait a minute .... we had the chance to get Subs anyway ... bugger b:cry

When they are feeling generous they certainly push the boat out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    No, I think you have a valid point, this game, you cant be a legit player anymore if you want great gear and items. It can be simply bought with real money. I think this sale is one of PWi's last resorts. Lets see how this turns out...

also, inb4lock, we all can probably see that. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • eternalnab
    eternalnab Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    well in the end.. on PvE server it doesnt matter..im on PvE server and i dun need hurry anywhere i dun care who has pro gear or whos lvl100+ ...i play when i have motivation and in last 6 months ive made like 25-30BHs also wq-cs i make when i got motivation... i have enough money to do wat i want ..and if i dont have in game money enough i can just charge zen but nah not gona do it anymore back then i charged some...u dont need use r/l money on this game if u have motivation just make da veno get herc and u get coinz...well with current gold prices herc gona cost alot tho..i dunno i havent logged in for 1week but i assume that 1gold is like 500k+ cuz of new packs =)
    edited January 2010
    Options
    There are few aims to play this game.

One to play to win - very abstract and impossible, because this game is without:
    1) cap level (or highest level impossible to get);
    2) ultimate gear (because it can be new after some new patch or it's price rise too high with every other level).

Second - to play in this game for fun.

This is why I play so long at every other level.

This is why I have some alts (one of them level 34).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maocchi
    maocchi Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Let's see...

- New BH system introduced. This made dailies exponentially more expensive, so much so that non cash shop users have hard time even doing them.
    - They introduce "Hyper EXP"--much better alternative to dailies for people with rl money.

- High grade gems and LG insignias are introduced in anni pack and coral pack (new name for anni pack).
    - LG now costs 3mil just to enter.
    b:faint

Nope, don't see your point at all.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    maocchi wrote: »
    - New BH system introduced. This made dailies exponentially more expensive, so much so that non cash shop users have hard time even doing them.
    I not spent money on BH (at my level).
    Yes, I have not almost any drop from it, but cost of repairs after BH small and potions can be bought too.

If I do bh about 3-4 times per week, this is not very expensive for me.

More, I help lowlevels with bh 29 from time to time, because I can do it solo.

Edit:
    You can restart this game at any time...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Personally, I don't see what the problem is. Are you playing to enjoy the game for yourself? Or are you playing to one up other players? If your suffering from the "I have this, I'm better than you!" syndrome, then you need to quit now. If on the other hand, you play to enjoy the game, do things you like, and to hell with anyone else.. then there really is no problem here.

So what is it?

or

~Saitada

so basically you're saying, if you want anything in this game, if you want to achieve anything, then you'll be sorely disappointed? bingo!
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    There are few aims to play this game.

One to play to win - very abstract and impossible, because this game is without:
    1) cap level (or highest level impossible to get);
    2) ultimate gear (because it can be new after some new patch or it's price rise too high with every other level).

Second - to play in this game for fun.

This is why I play so long at every other level.

This is why I have some alts (one of them level 34).
    3)Kill all the oracle noobs until they give up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Vintersun - Sanctuary
    Vintersun - Sanctuary Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

So what is it?

or

~Saitada

This is so true >_<
    Play because it is fun, because you enjoy what the game is and the other players you can talk and have fun with. Why fight everyone else all the time. Maybe someone is better than you, suck it up! there is always going to be someone better than you in something because you can't be the best in every subject. I love this game, the things in the cash shop doesn't bother me and I do not care if someone is level 787 and have the best armor ever to be seen in a game. I have terrible armor and low level but still spend several hours on this game to full fill my own goals which I have chosen because its fun, I try to save for a herc because it is fun and it is a way for me to feel that I have managed something, not because herc is the best pet, not because I want to brag about it or anything like that. It is because if I can get all the coins I need and get the herc then I can say to myself "good work, this was hard and took time but it sure was fun!" and if someone then where to tell me "I CSed and got my herc in 2 days, haha!" I would not care.

Have fun or quit!
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)Gotta Love Bunnies!
  • IDoomblade - Heavens Tear
    IDoomblade - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

So what is it?

or

~Saitada

Very well put! This is exactly how I feel...

If your worried about being better than everyone or if your competing in this game... your not gonna have much fun... There's usually someone out there who always has more time/money to invest.

Just have fun!! b:victory

Think for yourself - Question authority

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zatra - Dreamweaver10
    Zatra - Dreamweaver10 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ...or is this game starting to feel totally and utterly pointless? b:sweat

Of course its utterly pointless... its a video game.

You will really realize how pointless it is when somebody makes the decision to pull the plug and shut down the servers. It could be a week or it could be 10 years from now, but in the end its still just a video game.
  • maocchi
    maocchi Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I not spent money on BH (at my level).
    Yes, I have not almost any drop from it, but cost of repairs after BH small and potions can be bought too.

If I do bh about 3-4 times per week, this is not very expensive for me.

More, I help lowlevels with bh 29 from time to time, because I can do it solo.

Yes, but the people that need BH the most are high levels (BH69+) because quests are no longer rewarding, and those BHs are wined 98% of the time. The new BH shuffles bosses so that you have to run an FB instance at least twice to complete a whole cycle (at least from what I recognize, never paid much attention to how it works). That's 100k+ for one cycle of BH. Note that I didn't mention the cost of teleporting and stoning.

Repair costs aren't even a concern.
  • Ceshiari - Sanctuary
    Ceshiari - Sanctuary Posts: 757 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    maocchi wrote: »
    Yes, but the people that need BH the most are high levels (BH69+) because quests are no longer rewarding, and those BHs are wined 98% of the time. The new BH shuffles bosses so that you have to run an FB instance at least twice to complete a whole cycle (at least from what I recognize, never paid much attention to how it works). That's 100k+ for one cycle of BH. Note that I didn't mention the cost of teleporting and stoning.

Repair costs aren't even a concern.

I remember when we didnt have bh....and we zhen'd for hours....literally. Slap on a gold charm, stack 3-4 training scrolls and sit in vent.

Or we would try out rebirth, it was so new back then D:

This is just easy now :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aclucius - Lost City
    Aclucius - Lost City Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Using money on a game with a cash shop only to gain money is what it takes to get ahead the fastest? Who knew?

\sarcasm

This game is all about the cash shop because that is how they (Perfect World Entertainment) get their money. If they can get money for it, they will sell it. Do you know why? Because they are a business. They are not here for our enjoyment or entertainment. In the end, they are here because there is money to be earned.

Think about it, if you aren't buying items with real money, you are playing this game absolutely free. The only price tag attached to it that you have to pay is your internet (assuming you aren't just leeching off someone else's), or possibly the one time payment you made for your computer if you really want to count that. In either case, you are still playing this game free, and have that option. If you want to have benefits, you'll pay with real money.

I don't think it's that difficult to understand (though I do tend to think differently than most), but you get what you pay for. You don't have to pay Perfect World anything, they give you that option. However, if people are paying them for benefits, then they deserve to get those benefits.

And before anyone says anything about me supporting the paying for the game, know that I do not pay anything. Everything I get that comes from the cash shop I save up for with in game money, and then buy from another player at extremely high amounts. It is the price of not using real money, and that is something I accept. If people weren't being given an advantage over others by paying with real money, do you think that anyone would actually use money? This, I would think, would be the same thought anyone would have.

As for the 2x drops with TT items, all you have to do is grind and farm like crazy for them, then just put them in your bank and don't touch them for a long time. Once prices jump back up for them, that is when you just sell them like crazy. Instantly, you have lots of money because PWE was nice enough to give this opportunity to people who use critical thinking skills, which don't require you to be level 79 and have Vacuity cultivation.
  • VBloodFangv - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I don't think it's that difficult to understand (though I do tend to think differently than most), but you get what you pay for. You don't have to pay Perfect World anything, they give you that option. However, if people are paying them for benefits, then they deserve to get those benefits.
    The point is they claim to be a free-to-play game. That means the game should be enjoyable to free players, with the option to buy convenience and luxuries with real-life cash.
    As for the 2x drops with TT items, all you have to do is grind and farm like crazy for them, then just put them in your bank and don't touch them for a long time. Once prices jump back up for them, that is when you just sell them like crazy. Instantly, you have lots of money because PWE was nice enough to give this opportunity to people who use critical thinking skills, which don't require you to be level 79 and have Vacuity cultivation.
    Umm... prices haven't risen at all since the last 2x drops event (which only lasted 2 days) occurred over a month ago. There is no indication they will rise again for months to come. Also, some of us don't have the time to keep up with the large numbers of players who will be doing TT 10 hours per day to accumulate several dozen TT mats daily.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    if you don't have time to play, then you shouldn't be upset that you can't get ahead. ijs...

a lot of people that got pissed off were the people that farmed and burned charm to get something (Lunar/Nirvana) but then they release **** that made all of that effort worthless.

they pissed cuz why have these dungeons that take so long if you're going to release **** afterwards that makes it so easy?

if you have neither time nor want to spend the money, then you won't get ahead in an mmo period, whether it be a grind based or a cash shop based
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

So what is it?

or

~Saitada

I agree, if you look at the game with a more casual approach its more enjoyable. If you just want to be better than everyone else you're going to end up frustrated, which interferes with really enjoying the game. Really, we all should step back for a moment and reflect on the reasons why we're playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Aclucius - Lost City
    Aclucius - Lost City Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The point is they claim to be a free-to-play game. That means the game should be enjoyable to free players, with the option to buy convenience and luxuries with real-life cash.

Umm... prices haven't risen at all since the last 2x drops event (which only lasted 2 days) occurred over a month ago. There is no indication they will rise again for months to come. Also, some of us don't have the time to keep up with the large numbers of players who will be doing TT 10 hours per day to accumulate several dozen TT mats daily.

Yes, they do claim that, and they are. They in no way force you to play and pay for it. You can play the game and enjoy it without ever paying for anything at all with the exception of repairing your gear. You can collect your own mats, manufacture your own gear, make your own potions, and do everything without having to pay for anything. However, it isn't going to be as easy as just paying with real money. I think we are saying the same thing about this, and just differing on the semantics.

When I talk about the 2x drop, I speak mostly from the OP and from what complaints I have heard. However, the price rise I was speaking of comes after the drop, if there happens to be one. In any case, this is an opportunity for anyone who takes advantage of it, and you don't need to be one 10 hours every day to take advantage of it. You can still farm for mats, you can still farm for DQ items, and so many other things.

In no way is this game impossible to enjoy without benefits of the cash shop. It just becomes a much bigger challenge, and you must be willing to accept that. Nothing is ever free and is easy. People who pay more will get the easier path, while the rest of us must take the hard road. It is, after all, what we pay for. We pay nothing, therefore we take the hard road. Those who do pay money get the easy one.
  • VBloodFangv - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options
    if you don't have time to play, then you shouldn't be upset that you can't get ahead. ijs...
    Lol. There will always have people with 16 hours per day to play, and they will get ahead of everyone else. No problem with that, such is life. I have maybe 6-8 hours per day on here... actually kind of excessive, IMO. But here's the thing: with 2x drops, the people who spend their lives on here have incentive to farm TT all day, gathering mats at double the pace. This leaves them with such an over supply of mats that they dump them for ridiculous prices, leaving even those with relatively large amounts of time to spend on here unable to keep up.
    Really, we all should step back for a moment and reflect on the reasons why we're playing.
    Really, that's the point of this thread. My point is that as a "free-to-play" game, there should be ways for all classes to make enough to get by and enjoy the game. That used to be the case on here, but right now those methods are quickly vanishing.
  • Sheeeba - Dreamweaver
    Sheeeba - Dreamweaver Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I fully agree that cash shoppers should have the advantage. After all, they are paying for what they get. However, the gap between cashers and non-cashers has gotten wider and wider to the point where we're really not even playing the same game any more. It used to be that you could enjoy the game and even make enough to at least cover your costs without having to use the cash shop. However, as the games emphasis becomes more and more about the cash shop, monsters are dropping less and less loot. (Am I the only one that's noticed the SIGNIFICANT drop in loot drops?) So now they're going to do a 2x Exp/Sp/Drops weekend. Guess what? When drops are only a 1/4 of what they were 6-8 months ago, 2x still only makes them 1/2 of what it was. My highest character is a veno, so i really don't have much in the way of costs. Except now that I'm lvl 80 (yay finally), I can no longer do bounty hunter because I can't afford the wine fees. Nevermind the fact that my skills are behind, I don't even want to think about how long it would take me to raise the money for even one skill. I can't even think about getting any of my 79 skills. As a result, this is probably as high as any of my characters are going to get.

Sorry I got to rambling, but my point is this: while cash shoppers have every right to be given advantages, it is completely unfair that non-cashers can't even afford basic gameplay anymore. I for one think this is where the majority of the QQing is coming from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

::venos kick tail::

Sheeeba: 8x Venomancer, Hate2Love
    ClericNico: 7x Cleric(Mainly Support), Hate2Love Executor
    _Poe_: 6x Barbarian, Einherjar

"You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ... However, as the games emphasis becomes more and more about the cash shop, monsters are dropping less and less loot. (Am I the only one that's noticed the SIGNIFICANT drop in loot drops?) So now they're going to do a 2x Exp/Sp/Drops weekend. Guess what? When drops are only a 1/4 of what they were 6-8 months ago, 2x still only makes them 1/2 of what it was...

I am at same server as you.

I have statistical data about drops per each type of monster up to level 70.

And I am sure, that drops are as they were (same).

But your expenses and expenses of other players of level 69+ increased(because of BH missions), this is why all these talks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I dunno, it does seem pretty pointless to me. The game has changed vastly from when I first joined. I used to love the game for it's stable economy and plenty of quest leveling and variety of weapons and gear.
    Now....

-If I do quests I feel like a moron. Far better exp doing wq/bhI,II,III/cs/public quest/cube/oracles/rb. Questing is a waste of time that loses me potential exp.
    -If I grind coin I feel like a moron. Better money made b/s gold and packs and converting tokens to items for re-sell, then camping in a catshop all day.
    -If I try to earn a rare weapon (lunar/frost/certain tt/warsong) the hard way...I feel like a moron, far less time and expense buying packs or off a player who got lucky with packs.

Playing the game has become counter-productive. The best way to do well in the game is spam the same dailies all day and spend the rest in catshop....and eventually you become high enough to TW....once a week.

This is what most of us level and pour hundreds of $ into the game for. Is it really worth it?
  • IDoomblade - Heavens Tear
    IDoomblade - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    If you play this game for the PvP side of it... you better cash shop if you actually give a **** about being better than everyone...

Myself... I don't give a **** about having the "best" gear or PvP. And just because people can pay to have the rewards that you grinding or farmed dungeons for doesn't mean your efforts were worthless...

Think for yourself - Question authority

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yeah I'm thankful I'm not a PVPer anymore. Gawd. Don't have the resources to keep up with the top players.

Ah well, I don't even care about that anyways. I agree it's much faster and more... productive (as _DarkSeph_'s point proves IMO) to buy the stuff, but where's the fun? Am I the only one who likes to work for my gear and levels and treat this game like a game? Who the hell cares if I look like a moron really?

So I'm still gonna level up my characters the good ol' way, get the gear I can get and not worry about the guy who has the OPed stuff, and dump some RL cash when I can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    As this thread was made yesterday and it was locked for flamebait, the same goes for this thread.
This discussion has been closed.