Lowish level tactics on phys mobs

XylolyX - Heavens Tear
XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Archer
Archer-ing is pretty fun. I'm liking everything about it except...I think perhaps my tactics are lacking. I'm lvl51 now and fighting pretty much only phys mobs (Tauroc this, quillhog that.)

I'm using the Bow of the Goddess (lvl45 weapon) Using highest damage arrows for my level. My typical attack is...

Take aim-Serrated Arrow-Frost Arrow-Knockback-Regular Attacks until mob dies. (I do between 900-3200dmg per strike.)

The problem is, those mobs close in and do significant damage. While it shouldn't be a problem, I still have a barbarian mentality and find it hard to look at my HP meter constantly and consistently.

Should I still be kiting at this level? Should I change strategy and tactics? My Stunning Arrow and Aim Low attacks don't stun with any reliability...so any advice from the pros?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Lvl10XBarb
Lvl10XArcher
lvl10XAssassin
Post edited by XylolyX - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• AngleSnipe - Heavens Tear
    AngleSnipe - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Mobs shouldn't be getting to you at these levels too often, check if you have
    *Bow Mastery maxed for your level
    *Ranged Blessing maxed for your level
    *Blazing Arrow maxed for your level
    Also I wouldn't put serrated arrow into the skill combo chain
    Most of the mobs can be taken down with frost arrow --> normal --> normal --> knockback --> normal until dead combo
    Tougher mobs you can toss in an Aim Low or Stunning Arrow
    Also are you a pure dex build?
  • FitHitDShan - Sanctuary
    FitHitDShan - Sanctuary Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Are you starting your attacks from maximum range? I see lots of lower level archers relying on too many skills because they engage from almost melee range. Switching from a melee class, it took me a long while to get used to opening my attacks by running away from the mob first.

You have to make a choice about Frost Arrow. It really does no good to use it as anything but the first attack. But, it is so much better as an opener than anything else you have because it lets you consistently hit the mob an extra shot (or more depending on weapon) while the mob is helplessly "running" into its range. You only get that extra shot in, though, if you don't waste mob running time channelling frost. In making choices (about this or any other skill in your lineup) you have to think about DPS. Most of the skills that seem to do more damage take so long to get off that they are actually reducing your DPS. Frost's slow works the opposite way. Knockback (level 1) also ups your DPS by keeping the mob out away from its own attack range and, more important, away from that ring where most of your attacks do half damage.
    "?" IS my avatar.
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    If you have maxed the passives for you level as mentioned by AngleSnipe and following the pure dex build, you have the following options:-

1.) Winged shell if the mob gets near you. This would help you take a few more hits

2.) Use level 1 wingspan if the mob is close to you. This would knock the mob 9 cells away and deal considerable damage.

3.) You can also use winged pledge which has probably one of the lowest cooldowns and can be used for melee range targets.

4.) Also wingspan, winged pledge, Thudershock, Lightning Strike, Thunderous blast (if u have it) do not suffer the damage penalty at close range. Hence if youre using the metal attacks in any combo, keep it for last when u know the mob would be within the melee range.

For your level and above (even at 79 i use this combo) and the equips, frost -> normal -> normal -> knockback -> normal till dead, would work on most mobs. Aim low and stuns would be needed only if youre fighting the inc life, in speed, inc def mobs.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    In addition to Lady AngleSnipe's advice, check the the type of mob upon which you are grinding. You can use this list for reference: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1892712&postcount=13

It's okay if you have a little trouble with quest monsters. However, if you have trouble with mobs in that list, then there is definitely something wrong.

EDIT: I just noticed that you said you are using the highest arrows for your level. Do not do that; it is not worth it. Just use the lowest grade of arrows; otherwise it gets expensive very quickly. Save your high level arrows for PvP, mini-bosses, or particularly annoying mobs.
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010

EDIT: I just noticed that you said you are using the highest arrows for your level. Do not do that; it is not worth it. Just use the lowest grade of arrows; otherwise it gets expensive very quickly. Save your high level arrows for PvP, mini-bosses, or particularly annoying mobs.

Most of my arrow expense is covered, as I pick up arrow & bolt drops on all my toons, and I have a bunch of faction members sending me free ammo. :) Also I'm having no problem at all making money on this toon...compared to my barb I'm doing loads and loads better at this level than I ever did on him.

Thanks for all the help, it seems my tactics need to be changed. So the new strategy is...Frost>>regular attacks>>knockback>>regular attacks + winged pledge if too close.

Further info: My build is 4dex 1str every level. Early on I put some vitality in there as well...so my vit is at 28, and will be restatted sooner or later.

I do tend to start my attacks from pretty far away...most of the time it is max range, but I do need to max my passive skills-so that will become a priority for me.

It's a whole new world for me...learning the DPS stuff. I'm used to a completely different mindset. (Go stand next to the boss and let him hit you!)
    Thanks again!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
    edited January 2010
    Yes, passives should have the highest priority, so that all of your attacks gain the benefit.

Your current build is fine; you are similar to a 7-2-1 hybrid, which works.

Also, on the off-chance you are leveling DoT skills (Serrated, Poison), stop. There is no need to use any DoT skill.

I won't be on much this week, but when I do get on, feel free to ask me any questions in-game.
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010

I won't be on much this week, but when I do get on, feel free to ask me any questions in-game.

Thanks, and I will!!

Ok, I tried out the new tactics last night. Big difference! I also found that I could get more spike damage (crits) with this tactic than I can otherwise. So DPS goes up even further.

Follow up question:

Archers seem to have a great deal of skills. Are there any that are useless? Which skills should not make it to the skill bar/quick keys?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Archers seem to have a great deal of skills. Are there any that are useless? Which skills should not make it to the skill bar/quick keys?

In general the only skills that should be in your hotkey bar is (for grinding purposes)

staples:
    Frost Arrow
    Knockback Arrow
    Winged Shell

situational:
    Stun Arrow
    Aim Low

Don't forget the 2 buffs aswell.

Everything else could be ignored. Also it does depend on the playstyle. Try playing without any skills in the hotkey bar and see what skills you need the most. Add those to your hotkey bar. =)

For me, I have everything on my hotkey bar and I expand it all out everytime I log on.
  • Endrnz - Dreamweaver
    Endrnz - Dreamweaver Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Archer-ing is pretty fun. I'm liking everything about it except...I think perhaps my tactics are lacking. I'm lvl51 now and fighting pretty much only phys mobs (Tauroc this, quillhog that.)

I'm using the Bow of the Goddess (lvl45 weapon) Using highest damage arrows for my level. My typical attack is...

Take aim-Serrated Arrow-Frost Arrow-Knockback-Regular Attacks until mob dies. (I do between 900-3200dmg per strike.)

The problem is, those mobs close in and do significant damage. While it shouldn't be a problem, I still have a barbarian mentality and find it hard to look at my HP meter constantly and consistently.

Should I still be kiting at this level? Should I change strategy and tactics? My Stunning Arrow and Aim Low attacks don't stun with any reliability...so any advice from the pros?

Hmm, thats a good combo but if it dosen't work here's another one.

Take Aim -> Quickshot -> Knockback -> Frost -> Quickshot -> Normal till death.

It's pretty MP demanding but it get the job done 99% of the time.

Also, a lot of archers higher level are saying that this combo works?

Frost -> Normal (x2) -> Knockback -> Normal (tilldeath)...well see the thing with this is...it works sometimes (most of the time mobs atleast get 1 hit on me)

When I get damage spikes from crossbow, well then it works but that does not happen quite often. So I use this combo when I am using a bow or sligshot, but use the MP damanding combo when I use crossbow.

Hope this helps :)
  • Quizenbort - Dreamweaver
    Quizenbort - Dreamweaver Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Try different combos ... many of them are listed above. But really the combo depends on the mob and if it has any +s. Also equipment plays a large role in your damage so over time the combos change.

As a base line... your goal of a combo is to kill the mob before it hits you.. or at least it only gets 1 hit in. If you are getting hit more then that.. try a different version.
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, thats a good combo but if it dosen't work here's another one.

Take Aim -> Quickshot -> Knockback -> Frost -> Quickshot -> Normal till death.

Try replacing those Quickshots with normal attacks. Thus, you end up with:

Take Aim -> Normal -> Knockback -> Frost -> Normal

That should be sufficient for you, if the other combo does not work.
  • AngleSnipe - Heavens Tear
    AngleSnipe - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Also make sure your weapon is on par with the level of the mobs

On a sidenote: Gratz Elena on 97 b:victory
  • iceman000
    iceman000 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i dont know bout u guys but i just do
    charge shot--normal--normal--knockback--normal attack till dead
    sometimes if i miss i throw in a stun or those wing skills that hit close range
    or u can throw in a thunder attack since the damage dont get cut in half by ur range
  • Flyingkea - Dreamweaver
    Flyingkea - Dreamweaver Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    For a while i had the same problem, but i found a comb that really works for me
    Stunning->Frost->Normal(x1/2)->Knockback->Normal till death

This really works for me, the frost and first normal are interchangeable ive found, really just depends on if stunning works or not. I used to use things like the poison arrow, etc and i just wasted soo much mana and id still get hammered. And its taken me months to get to this level LOL
  • HealerOfLite - Dreamweaver
    HealerOfLite - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    In Theory, an archer needs to use his skills strategically to stay alive. i think archers are The hardest classes to use. i have a level 22 archer, i don't use him that often but when i do, i usually take out mobs using Take aim - normal - normal - knockback arrow - frost arrow -normal until dead.
    Main-Tigrenblood-Barbarian-Level 50-Dreamweaver
    Second-HealerOfLight-Cleric-Level 19-Dreamweaver
    Third-Elvenblood-Archer-Level 22-Dreamweaver
    Forth-Aneon-Blademaster-Level 4-Dreamweaver
    b:shockedb:laughb:shockedb:laughb:shockedb:laugh
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    archers are The hardest classes to use.

Here is how I grind 95% of the time.

Step 1: Click On whats going to die.
    Step 2: Press the number `5` on my keyboard.
    Step 3: Eat icecream while watching mob die.
    Step 4: If step 3 happened to fast, skip step 5
    Step 5: Skip step 6
    Step 6: Rub forehead while trying not to scream due to brain freeze. Skip step 7
    Step 7: Skip step 8, if I feel like it.
    Step 8: Get something warm to eat or drink, to recover from brain freeze.
    Step 9: Repeat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Try replacing those Quickshots with normal attacks. Thus, you end up with:

Take Aim -> Normal -> Knockback -> Frost -> Normal

That should be sufficient for you, if the other combo does not work.

I have to agree with this. I tried putting quickshot into the attack loop last night....the average damage that it does is on par or less than the average normal attack. In other words...it's a waste of mana and time.

Though I have found that :

Frost -> Normal (X3) -> knockback -> Normal works to kill most mobs quickly and they usually get only 1-2 attacks in.

Number of shots it takes to kill mobs is averaging from 8-10.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
    edited January 2010
    In my experience, when started from max range, knockback would push the monster out of range, resulted in lost time between knockback and frost arrow.

I would use several normal shots between take aim and knockback to avoid this ssue. (I can not say exactly how many normal attacks because that would depend on weapon and stuff.)

This is true; if the target is a fairly slow one, sometimes you can get away with throwing in an extra attack before the knockback.

I thought it would be an obvious point, so I did not further explain it.