Citrine or amber?

_Tsunami_ - Lost City
_Tsunami_ - Lost City Posts: 162 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Assassin
Hi,i would like to know your opinion about what kind of gems put in the sockets.
I always used the amber to max evasion and maybe don't get hitted (often work,i have 27% - 29% chance to avoid attack whit mobs of my lvl and in some fights versus other players they almost don't touch me) but today i saw a lvl 80+ assassin whit only citrine (hp gems) and now i'm confused...

what's the best (or the better) gem to use? Fighting other players i don't have any problems on killing them if they are archers/barbarians/bm and sometimes assassins too (even if they attack first and i don't use stealth) but spell casters hit me hard and i fear it will be more and more wrost lvling up...

any advice? I use the build 1 str 4 dex

Thank you very much
Post edited by _Tsunami_ - Lost City on

Comments

• Lessein - Sanctuary
    Lessein - Sanctuary Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    IMO: amber, get your hp from refines. Your defenses/ hp will never be HUGE, your biggest defense as such is your evasion.
  • Athalon - Dreamweaver
    Athalon - Dreamweaver Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Well here's my opinion: Magic cannot miss. No matter how high your evasion, you will be hit by magic. If you are fearing death by magical one shotting then you will want Citrines.

Citrine = higher hp = more damage you can take. Period.
    Amber = Evasion = less physical attacks hit you, less physical damage you take

EDIT: <.< ninja cleric took my first reply....
  • Lessein - Sanctuary
    Lessein - Sanctuary Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    hmm thinking about it, the graphs of phys def & evasion showed that 50/50 phys def & hp shard were best. So maybe 50/50 evasion & hp shards would be a good idea?
  • Ephemerai - Sanctuary
    Ephemerai - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    *agrees with Athalon*

Especially consider the fact that mobs later on will love to stack burn/poison on you, and many/most later mobs are magical attack rather than physical attack. evasion may help early on but switch to citrine later on.. more hp = <3 =P

For example: I have no VIT whatsoever, but by using +hp/+vit gear, refining (to +2, which isn't too hard considering how many mirages you get later on xD), and sharding, I have 3304 HP at 70 ><" ... without any of that i have 1859 hp lol.

Granted, I've been splurging a bit on shards, but you could probably find already-sharded/refined gear in the AH for reasonable prices.. it'd probably cost you less than buying clean gear and refining/sharding it yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Hi,i would like to know your opinion about what kind of gems put in the sockets.
    I always used the amber to max evasion and maybe don't get hitted (often work,i have 27% - 29% chance to avoid attack whit mobs of my lvl and in some fights versus other players they almost don't touch me) but today i saw a lvl 80+ assassin whit only citrine (hp gems) and now i'm confused...

what's the best (or the better) gem to use? Fighting other players i don't have any problems on killing them if they are archers/barbarians/bm and sometimes assassins too (even if they attack first and i don't use stealth) but spell casters hit me hard and i fear it will be more and more wrost lvling up...

any advice? I use the build 1 str 4 dex

Thank you very much

LOL evasion shards...

Everything that adds evasion is useless and that goes for all classes even sins/archers that has evasion self buff.

Citrine shards in gear for hp and refine belt + beck for mag def + phy def.

Evasion does not help against magic and quite frankly not much against phy attacks either, you might randomly dodge a few more mobs at lower lvls thats about it. It certainly doesn't do anything for you in pvp at higher lvls. And pve-wise how many mobs are pure physical really?
    So many mobs have a range magic attack as well as being mele.
  • _Tsunami_ - Lost City
    _Tsunami_ - Lost City Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    OK i got it,i'll use citrine shards from now on.b:victory

Thanks you all b:bye
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Evasion shards are looked down upon and i would generally agree. HP is the "all around" best for anything that might happen.

i feel however you may benefit from a few sapphire shards as well. i'm going to be playing with this when i'm higher up. if you refine you'll get HP. your pdef will already be average and you will have some evasion to help that along, but as far as mdef goes you'll likely only have 1 ornament with mdef to refine. taking 1 piece of gear and throwing mdef shards in may proof better against magic classes.

i'm also going to toy with an evasion set just to see how it works against physical classes (i'd still have a set for magic classes). it'll be some time before i try it out. it's always funny watching a barb perdition or a BM dragon then QQ when it misses b:chuckle

when all is done though, the best setup will probably be 1 physical ornament, 1 magic ornament, hp shards in armor, mdef shards in cape or helmet
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • BrianFields - Heavens Tear
    BrianFields - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Evasion is a FAIL word in this game once u hit level 77+.
  • Swaze - Sanctuary
    Swaze - Sanctuary Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    evasion = fail defense in this game. I really would not bother
    1st sage assassin in sanctuary. That's right, I jumped in with my eyes half closed. b:cute
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    hmm thinking about it, the graphs of phys def & evasion showed that 50/50 phys def & hp shard were best. So maybe 50/50 evasion & hp shards would be a good idea?

evasion is sucks in high lv......... (i am 99 archer with pure dex but barbs/bm's dont miss often on me)

but put evasion to a 4socket item and shard must be gr8, because i never watched that effect only mana/pdef/mdef/hp XD
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I tried resharding my sin with full G7 evasion... even in pve it only went up from like 24% to 27%. No ty, I'll take my 600 extra HP instead. If 15 G7 evasion shards do that little I'm not gonna bother.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Ephemerai - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    They really need to make evasion have more meaning in this game, lol. Then again, unless they change the fact that magic attacks NEVER miss, it'd still be pretty useless.

Maybe change evasion to allow you a slight chance of evading debuffs XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RADD_RATT - Harshlands
    RADD_RATT - Harshlands Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    well alot of mobs/bosses dont use magic if you are melee attacking. so it will help in that sense to pve. but if youre going with amber shards you sure as hell better have the necklace and belt that give you 10% evasion.

but i would agree that HP is porbly the best way to go. im not to worried about magic users becasue the only way they can beat me is if im ganked my 3 or more. they will die before they know im there and of theyhave one buddy i can usually start hitting him before he realizes his buddy is dead. which is why im thinkin maybe some more pdef. barbs and BMs are the only classes that can live through a double spark head hunt + the few attacks that will hit you while youre stunned from head hunt.
  • Vylnt - Dreamweaver
    Vylnt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i've never even considered using amber shards in armor and never will, but what about garnet shards? i'm 74 atm and have been using citrines and refining gear but still get hurt pretty badly. Just wondered if using a mixture of garnets and citrines to help boost physical defense along with some added hp would be better. I'm mainly wondering for pve, not big on pvp and may never be.
  • Ephemerai - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    If you don't find yourself lacking in HP versus magic mobs or mobs that like to burn/poison you, then garnet/citrine mixture could be a good way to go. I usually have more problems versus stacked burn/poison though so >___< citrine it is for me xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]