Clerics are not fun to play, mp cost is ridiculous

samasalao
samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Cleric
Ok I think is about time for someone to a proper complain about this, first of all I am not trying to make a flame thread of any sorts, I am here to raise a voice about something that developers should change in this game.

I have a level 100 cleric that I use mostly for support, I love my char and my class, I am also a pro herb farmer and use herbs all the time. Im really dissapointed about how ridiculosly fast my sage eats mp, during a boss fight I can easily drain 40-80k in 15 mins, sage ironheart, sage aoe heal they all cost insane amounts of mp, and they need to be spammed madly to keep a party alive, grinding alone I eat a gold mp charm in 2-2 1/2 hours, up to now I have endured but this is really getting out of hand, I had 5k mp food from event but now only 1k remaining and now that is impossible to get decent mp food at a decent price since anni packs are gone, I really dont know what I am going to do with my cleric once food runs out.

Everytime I see a veno, they press a button and voila full mp, this leads me to believe that this game is biassed towards venos, but anyway thats not the point of this thread, is everytime harder and harder to get clerics for squads, I think that cleric's insane mp cost is one of the big reasons, I already have a level 81 veno with hercules, game is damn easy with my own tank and mp to spare, I still however play my cleric only to do his dailys. I think if this is not changed less and less people will play support clerics, please developers and admins do something about it and not just ignore as usual.

And guys really really sorry about the rant/whine. b:cry
Post edited by samasalao on

Comments

• Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Sux to be a cleric sometimes.

~S
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Sux to be a cleric sometimes.

~S

b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Valintine - Heavens Tear
    Valintine - Heavens Tear Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I don't have a Herc, so I can't say from personal experience whether a Herc is a game-breaker or not. Truth be told, I've not been in many squads with a Herc at all. Although one lady with a Herc doing mats farming practically stole my mat as I was trying to survive a blasted mob...

As for the "push a button and instant MP" commentary... Yeah, not exactly full MP. The Nature's Grace skill gives us what essentially boils down to 50% (when the skill is maxed) MP recovery, but takes 5 minutes to recharge so it can't be used often. Example: It can't be spammed during a boss fight, unless the boss fight lasts over 5 minutes -- and if it's lasting that long, if you're smart and not interested in dying, you'll have already broken out the MP pots.

The other skill, whose name I can't recall of the top of my head, has a very steep cost: It swaps your HP and MP at a max price of 100 Chi. But wait!, you might say, That's free MP! That's just an awesome skill!

Except when you time it wrong and wind up getting killed by a boss with AoE. Or an aggressive mob you didn't see sneaking up behind you to stab you in the back.

The only thing I can really recommend for you is to not rely on Charms or food that acts like Charms, and instead start investing in MP pots and/or MP-recovering Apothecary items. A lot of Apoth items give you a lot of MP back over time, so you don't need to break out the MP pots so often, which makes Apothecary a great skill to have.

And if you think Clerics have it rough with MP costs, you should look at Psychics! Not played one myself, but everything I've heard from those who have boil down to, "Look at that freakin' high MP cost!" And they don't have any buffs that can boost MP recovery time (like a Cleric does) or to boost their maximum MP (like Wizards do). Hey, maybe the game is biased against Psychycs...? /end bad attempt to make a point
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Mp food isnt overpriced. I can find 22k tokens in Sanctuary, thats 66k for 50 herb yuaxianiosianions or whatever they're called.

Thats 1320coins for 5000mp.
    Thats 0.264coin/mp or 3.79mp/coin.

Compare that to the gold mp charm ratio.. 900,000mp at 1,200,000coins (or so).
    Thats 0.75coin/mp or 1.33mp/coin.

The numbers are shown here. Do yourself a favour and use mp food + apo pots. Yea, I do agree that cleric skills are friggen mana burn. Its like what 1000mp for chrome heal?
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • AnotherDay - Raging Tide
    AnotherDay - Raging Tide Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    so i aperently have no idea on how much of a burn a cleric is...b:surrender
    Helping other to live to fight another day. That is my job.
    My guild: OUTLAW
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Due to the influx of misplaced threads, all threads will be moved to their correct section or locked. We appreciate your understanding b:victory
  • samasalao
    samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Edit: Sorry about the previous comment, I am kinda tired of my cleric sucking mp like crazy, I guess I should stock on mp food while they last, I guess based on spoons response that they are not going to change this no matter how many complain about it.
  • PandaTheWise - Sanctuary
    PandaTheWise - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Meditate FTW.
  • Sheeeba - Dreamweaver
    Sheeeba - Dreamweaver Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Clerics not fun to play? Lies! My cleric is my favorite character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

::venos kick tail::

Sheeeba: 8x Venomancer, Hate2Love
    ClericNico: 7x Cleric(Mainly Support), Hate2Love Executor
    _Poe_: 6x Barbarian, Einherjar

"You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."
  • Amorzka - Harshlands
    Amorzka - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I have found that a Barb or Assassin alt works wonders for a cleric main. They make tons of coin that you can mail to your prize obsession char.

Really though, for what a cleric can do isn't it worth the drain?
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    yea mp costs can be scary

yesterday
    i had something around <200 75lvl mp food
    i ran 3-2 (as alone cler) and 3-3 after with another guy
    and i had to borrow from him another 100 food to finish that 2nd TT b:shocked

i had few left after tho
    and i also used 30-40 hp food b:shocked

and >80k genie's energy o0

and i can live with that - but cant imagine living on charms =0

(and i dont have 11lvl IH or AOE heal yet - just attacks and WS)
    but runs were long =/

m8, find some tokens in west D:
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Raybeez - Lost City
    Raybeez - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Use focus powders you lazy ****.. get up off ur batooka and up ur apoth. level and make some dam focus powders! I NEVER have mp problems because of focus powders.. so stop yer biaching. and if focus powders dont cut it that 100/mp/sec. shuld work. The other option is to stop blowing yer dam money on the lateest fashion and mount (which you dont need) and get a dam charm..
  • Demon_sage - Harshlands
    Demon_sage - Harshlands Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Clerics are very fun to play...and if u manage right..some may say its wrong but charge for bh runs to lower lvl....im lvl 77 and charge bh29 around 10k a person..i use less than 10 mp pots for solo run...just a easy way to get money and keep ur potions up to par..or a good way to buy the mats for the apothy items....just need to use some creativity to play cleric...alot may say so hard to play but i tell u clerics are the fastest lvl characters...ppl always need barbs and clerics
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    This is you are lucky and get packs or drops it is how I built up my supply of pots and I have powders.I still need to go out do orbs.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Magicgabe - Lost City
    Magicgabe - Lost City Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    There are ways to conserve MP and regen.

1) Celestial guardians seal - +10MP regen; +20MP regen(in sitting);enough said; good for grinding

2) double spark - 10% MP. help full if you jumped by a mob while collecting drops or useful in dungeon to extend your mp for lower lvl bosses.

3) concentrate orbs - takes work to obtain, so use them carefully. +100MP regen is powerful when healing for bosses with high HP, high damage and no AOE.

4) Arctic orbs - Nice when BB you run out of MP and boss starts AOEing. Gives 90seconds of BB. Not bad.

5) Jade powder - 3k MP; easier to obtain; usefull when you just need a little more MP.

6) no debuffing or attacking: doesn't cut your regen by 1/4

7) +MP regen gear - good for grinding; yields wonderful results when stacked to something like +20(+40 in sitting).

8) don't over heal; heal to the amount that keeps the tank alive and well; but don't literally spam unless neccessary. I like to heal-1,2,3(mississippi) and repeat on mediocre bosses.

9) avoid wield thunder when grinding - saves some MP.

10) use purehearted blessing while grinding - slow but much much cheaper when @ lvl1.(and you get extra chi)
    and bro...fyi this isn't a story.

All people are idiodic but some are more idiotic than others.
  • Picky - Lost City
    Picky - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Agreed that a cleric's mp costs are ghastly but there are ways to conserve. Magicgabe has given some very good tips for you to conserve that precious mp. Apothecary pots are a cleric's best friend so dont leave town without them! It can be tedious to farm all those herbs but just keep and eye out and farm while you grind or are questing. If you work in farming herbs into your game schedule, you'd be amazed at how much you can stock pile. For emergencies i always carry the event mp pots for those times when I forget to watch my mp and dont want to get caught completely dry.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Use focus powders you lazy ****.. get up off ur batooka and up ur apoth. level and make some dam focus powders! I NEVER have mp problems because of focus powders.. so stop yer biaching. and if focus powders dont cut it that 100/mp/sec. shuld work. The other option is to stop blowing yer dam money on the lateest fashion and mount (which you dont need) and get a dam charm..
    lol @ focus powders at lv101
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Here is "small" Corrections on following:
    "3) concentrate orbs - takes work to obtain, so use them carefully. +100MP regen is powerful when healing for bosses with high HP, high damage and no AOE.

4) Arctic orbs - Nice when BB you run out of MP and boss starts AOEing. Gives 90seconds of BB. Not bad.

5) Jade powder - 3k MP; easier to obtain; usefull when you just need a little more MP.
    "

3: Doesn't work at field since at bosses you're usually fully buffed with your own buffs which are OVERRIDE effect of Regeneration overtime 10mins duration Apochs. As well if you buffed with Apoch only it yelds 1/4 of original value during combat.

4: You can't use Apochs while BB/RB/DB so you can't really coun't on them unless you gain sparks immidiatelly and recast.

5:Look at 4.

Agrees with Statement : Not fun at all especially when squad goes Berserk cause "yeah we got Cleric we are Invinsible!!" or when stupid Barb goes same way cause he is charmed and hell with others if they don't especially irritating when same Barb recieves warnings from whole squad to "chill out" he just dissmiss them and continues his behaviour.

• ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    wnight wrote: »
    3: Doesn't work at field since at bosses you're usually fully buffed with your own buffs which are OVERRIDE effect of Regeneration overtime 10mins duration Apochs. As well if you buffed with Apoch only it yelds 1/4 of original value during combat.

While true that they don't stack.

Just pop the apoth after you buff, and you'll OVERRIDE your own buffs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magicgabe - Lost City
    Magicgabe - Lost City Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    wnight wrote: »
    Here is "small" Corrections on following:
    "3) concentrate orbs - takes work to obtain, so use them carefully. +100MP regen is powerful when healing for bosses with high HP, high damage and no AOE.

"

4: You can't use Apochs while BB/RB/DB so you can't really coun't on them unless you gain sparks immidiatelly and recast.

5:Look at 4.

Agrees with Statement : Not fun at all especially when squad goes Berserk cause "yeah we got Cleric we are Invinsible!!" or when stupid Barb goes same way cause he is charmed and hell with others if they don't especially irritating when same Barb recieves warnings from whole squad to "chill out" he just dissmiss them and continues his behaviour.

Ok here's my "small corrections".

3) Cast concentrate orbs AFTER you buff. ( i thought that would be obvious)

4) You recieve 90 seconds of BB(120 if you use concentrate orbs). Afterwards you can use pots and whatever you have. There was a case once where I got a spark from veno 2x in 120seconds, brought down BB after an AOE, re-orbed and restarted. We did this over and over again. I haven't tested this lately too much. Maybe throw in cloud eruption. idk. Its probably easeir to get some event pots. Fact is though, arctic orbs can give 90seconds(or 120) of BB.
    and bro...fyi this isn't a story.

All people are idiodic but some are more idiotic than others.