HA/Arcane Question.

Options
daphkate
daphkate Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Venomancer
I currently have a level 66 veno. I love the idea of switching between HA and arcane armour. But I don't generally want to restat.

My general question is, would adding enough str to have a low level HA (maybe the +2XX kind or something.) be worth putting my points into, or would it just be a waste? (I would use HA for, emergency tanking, aoe phys. bosses, possibly pk, etc.)
Post edited by daphkate on

Comments

• AndyNagato - Lost City
    AndyNagato - Lost City Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    its a waste, you can manage a better rounding of your defenses with garnet shards and physical defense accesories. they add up quite nicely, to the point when you are buffed, you have more defense than light armor even.

you're saving yourself thetrouble of buying 2 armor sets, and gimping all your stats for the sake of a bunch of pdef; it really isnt worth it to go HA.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    it is worth to go HA but only at 95-100
    till that lvl you will spend alot of time and money finding gear and maybe restat
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    that would be too much pain. restat would do best. restating at your level is not bad at all thus it would cost you less than doing at 9x but you must be aware gathering all the right gear is hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Kenichiiii - Sanctuary
    Kenichiiii - Sanctuary Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    its a waste, you can manage a better rounding of your defenses with garnet shards and physical defense accesories. they add up quite nicely, to the point when you are buffed, you have more defense than light armor even.

you're saving yourself thetrouble of buying 2 armor sets, and gimping all your stats for the sake of a bunch of pdef; it really isnt worth it to go HA.

It's also about using fox form. HA fox is no doubt a lot more painful that a arcane fox.
    Plus i'd like to see an arcane with garnets get 20,000. They're two entirely different playing styles so you can't really say one is worth it and the other isn't
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    kenlee wrote: »
    it is worth to go HA but only at 95-100
    till that lvl you will spend alot of time and money finding gear and maybe restat

In point of fact, it's possible alot earlier, the main problem which makes it not worth the effort early on is that your new armour sets are spread across six levels. This makes it more work to collect the bonuses and distribute stats to make the set work.

The earliest it's feasible is Lv.70, due to the appearance of TT armour. As all pieces come at once level, it's now much more straight forward to plan and collect gear.

I personally restatted at 74. I could have been ready for 70 exactly but chose to go with a few cheaper ornaments/armour rather than going overboard simply to switch 4 levels earlier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndyNagato - Lost City
    AndyNagato - Lost City Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's also about using fox form. HA fox is no doubt a lot more painful that a arcane fox.
    Plus i'd like to see an arcane with garnets get 20,000. They're two entirely different playing styles so you can't really say one is worth it and the other isn't
    an arcane can use fox form as well and manage 8-10k+ def in sage fox should they have buffs, defense fails when stacked ridiciulously high. the more you have, the less effective it gets. you also make yourself easily 1-2 shot by any magic class who happens to catch you off guard before you can even fully switch back to arcane.

to me, its an entirely worthless build, why gimp all your stats just so you can have some more pdef? i find it funny how HA builds try to give themselves more self worth by saying 'oh our build is so hard, arcane is just easy mode,' its easily done with a level 3 tome, and TT/legendary gears @ 90 >.>;.

LA has a little bit of a way of calling itself a viable build, should one REALLY think they need to rely on crit to kill, but HA? no way.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    an arcane can use fox form as well and manage 8-10k+ def in sage fox should they have buffs, defense fails when stacked ridiciulously high. the more you have, the less effective it gets.
    That is a common misconception. The damage reduction gained from defense becomes smaller the higher your defense is. But you don't die because of damage reduction, you die because of damage taken. If you compare damage taken vs. defense, going from 1k to 2k defense gives you as much extra survivability as going from 20k to 21k defense. (In the same sense as going from 1k to 2k hp gives you as much extra survivability as going from 20k to 21k hp.)

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=1536391#post1536391
    to me, its an entirely worthless build, why gimp all your stats just so you can have some more pdef? i find it funny how HA builds try to give themselves more self worth by saying 'oh our build is so hard, arcane is just easy mode,' its easily done with a level 3 tome, and TT/legendary gears @ 90 >.>;.
    I do it because it expands my performance envelope. I give up about 10% on my damage and 15% on my pet heals, for about a 300-400% increase in survivability against physical damage. If my projections on my melee damage are correct, by 99 I'm going to end up doing about as much melee DPS as an arcane's spell DPS, so the only downside to the build will be a weaker pet heal.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I give up about 10% on my damage and 15% on my pet heals, for about a 300-400% increase in survivability against physical damage. If my projections on my melee damage are correct, by 99 I'm going to end up doing about as much melee DPS as an arcane's spell DPS, so the only downside to the build will be a weaker pet heal.

Percent on survivability isn't a simple number you can just easily come up with. As our defense / HP goes up, so does typically the atk of the mobs/ bosses we're being hit by. To put it in a better perspective, consider how much matk you change to make a difference in how many hits per kill you must do on your level mobs starting with something like just barely killing in 4 hits to just barely killing in 3. The amount of matk changes as you level. Then there are other things to factor in like frequency of hits, reaction time, frequency of HP gain + percentage gained (affected by HP vs Def), evasion, mob's accuracy, etc.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Percent on survivability isn't a simple number you can just easily come up with. As our defense / HP goes up, so does typically the atk of the mobs/ bosses we're being hit by.

Making a sweeping generalization here, but Heavy and HA/AA builds aren't typically adopted for PVE. They're adopted for PVP purposes.

Not that the PVE side really matters though. At the end of the day, so long as a Venomancer meets three conditions for PVE:

- Pet Heal recovers faster than pet loses HP
    - Pet cannot be oneshot
    - Venomancer is not dying

Then their equipment is more or less irrelevant. Whereas other classes have issues of life-and-death if their gear is poor, the only threat facing a poorly equipped Venomancer is inefficiency (assuming the above three conditions are met): They can still grind, kill, and move along, just at a less 'optimal' speed.

That said, back to HA/AA: Since we have our pets, even if you were to restat MAG to 5, a large portion of our damage out (ie. our pet's) is unaffected. This is one reason Heavy Veno builds are doable, unlike Clerics, Wizards, etc.

Note of course that I've made a simplification above by assuming all our damage is magical... Which is of course a fallacy, as Solandri's melee DPS calculations have shown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kenlee
    edited January 2010
    Options
    That is a common misconception. The damage reduction gained from defense becomes smaller the higher your defense is. But you don't die because of damage reduction, you die because of damage taken. If you compare damage taken vs. defense, going from 1k to 2k defense gives you as much extra survivability as going from 20k to 21k defense. (In the same sense as going from 1k to 2k hp gives you as much extra survivability as going from 20k to 21k hp.)
    ok lets do some math.

lvl 100 with those devense and someone is hitting for 10k damage. there is DR counted and after that is 75% pvp reduction

1k pdef -> DR = 20% -> 2000 dmg -> 20% of initial 10k damage -> damage got reduced by 80%
    2k pdef -> DR = 33% -> 1675 dmg -> 16.75% of initial 10k damage -> damage got reduced by 83.25%
    9k pdef -> DR = 69% -> 775 dmg -> 7.75% of initial 10k damage -> damage got reduced by 92.25%
    20k pdef -> DR = 83% -> 435 dmg -> 4.35% of initial 10k damage -> damage got reduced by 95.65%
    21k pdef -> DR = 84% -> 400 dmg -> 4% of initial damage -> damage got reduced by 96%

going from 1k def to 2k def is about 3.25% less damage taken from initial 10k damage while going from 20k to 21k pdef is about 0.35% less damage taken
    so from my calculation this is not linear
    going from 1k to 2k is about 325 damage while going from 20k to 21k is 35 damage
    having 6k HP is like going from 3 to 3.58 hits and the others values 13.79 to 15 hits... still not linear
    going from 9k pdef to 20k pdef is about 3.4% which makes it the same as 1k->2k
    edited January 2010
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    Percent on survivability isn't a simple number you can just easily come up with. As our defense / HP goes up, so does typically the atk of the mobs/ bosses we're being hit by.
    The 300-400% I gave was comparing heavy vs. arcane taking physical damage. Not heavy vs. some mob.
    ok lets do some math.

lvl 100 with those devense and someone is hitting for 10k damage. there is DR counted and after that is 75% pvp reduction

1k pdef -> DR = 20% -> 2000 dmg -> 20% of initial 10k damage -> damage got reduced by 80%
    2k pdef -> DR = 33% -> 1675 dmg -> 16.75% of initial 10k damage -> damage got reduced by 83.25%
    9k pdef -> DR = 69% -> 775 dmg -> 7.75% of initial 10k damage -> damage got reduced by 92.25%
    20k pdef -> DR = 83% -> 435 dmg -> 4.35% of initial 10k damage -> damage got reduced by 95.65%
    21k pdef -> DR = 84% -> 400 dmg -> 4% of initial damage -> damage got reduced by 96%

going from 1k def to 2k def is about 3.25% less damage taken from initial 10k damage while going from 20k to 21k pdef is about 0.35% less damage taken
    so from my calculation this is not linear
    going from 1k to 2k is about 325 damage while going from 20k to 21k is 35 damage
    having 6k HP is like going from 3 to 3.58 hits and the others values 13.79 to 15 hits... still not linear
    going from 9k pdef to 20k pdef is about 3.4% which makes it the same as 1k->2k
    Please click the link I gave. I broke down survivability in both hits (which is what people think of when they think of hp) and percent (which is what you're doing). It's linear in hits. Here are corrected numbers since yours are a bit off due to roundoff error:

1k pdef -> 20.00% DR -> 80.00% DT -> 8000 damage -> 2000 PvP -> 3 hits til dead
    2k pdef -> 33.33% DR -> 66.67% DT -> 6667 damage -> 1667 PvP -> 3.6 hits til dead
    Improvement in survivability is 0.6 hits

20k pdef -> 83.33% DR -> 16.67% DT -> 1667 damage -> 417 PvP -> 14.4 hits til dead
    21k pdef -> 84.00% DR -> 16.00% DT -> 1600 damage -> 400 PvP -> 15 hits til dead
    Improvement in survivability is 0.6 hits. Same as for 1k -> 2k.

The misconception is that people say to use citrines instead of garnets because hp has no diminishing returns while pdef does. That is wrong. hp operates the exact same way as pdef. If you're taking hits for 500 damage:

1000 hp -> 2 hits til dead
    2000 hp -> 4 hits til dead
    Improvement in survivability is 2 hits.

20,000 hp -> 40 hits til dead
    21,000 hp -> 42 hits til dead
    Improvement in survivability is 2 hits.

So click on the link I gave; I broke it down both in terms of hits and in terms of %. In hits, increase in survivability for both pdef and hp are linear. In %, increase in survivability is not linear for pdef, but neither is it linear for hp.
  • kenlee
    edited January 2010
    Options
    thats not an error, the game itself likes to round down numbers.

then you are counting the differences in hits but you forgot the big number itself. thats like 333 damage vs 17 damage. i mean, having 2k pdef and you want to cut damage in half, you need to add 6k pdef more. if you want to cut damage in half even more, you have to add 18k more pdef.

ok, the number of hits you take is linear but its not the same with survivability imo. lets say pdef itself is fixed but yout hp pool isnt fixed. for example you have like 20k hp and those defences from above and you take that damage every second. getting 2k damage every second will tick the charm till it comes back to full over and over again... not even counting pots.
    first thing i want to do is to reduce damage enough to counter it with charm/pots, i dont want to stay there and take every hit till i die without using charms/pots. in both cases (5k pdef and 20k pdef) nobody die coz both can counter every hit for long time.. that means till charm is gone. the difference between 12k pdef and 24k is not big when you count charm/pots but when you go from 1k to 12k it is.
    while you go up from 12k to 24k p.def, your m.def goes down in "danger area", that means below 12k.
    i choose 12k in this case because i made this graph for this example
    http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3686/damagetaken.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Options
    thats not an error, the game itself likes to round down numbers.
    It rounds the damage reduction in the character sheet to within 1%. For actual damage calculations, it uses the unrounded figures (as near as I can tell). i.e. If your improve your pdef so your DR goes from 83.2% to 83.4%, the character sheet will display both as 83%. But you will still note a decrease in damage taken.
    ok, the number of hits you take is linear but its not the same with survivability imo. lets say pdef itself is fixed but yout hp pool isnt fixed. for example you have like 20k hp and those defences from above and you take that damage every second. getting 2k damage every second will tick the charm till it comes back to full over and over again... not even counting pots.
    That's why I listed it both ways - in terms of hits til dead and in terms of %. You're trying to argue against something I never claimed.

Whichever way you want to think of it is just a matter of semantics. The bottom line is that mathematically, hp and pdef work the same for survivability. If the way you think of it, hp has no diminishing returns for survivability, then pdef also has no diminishing returns. If you think of it so pdef has diminishing returns for survivability, then hp also has diminishing returns.
    Your graph is linear. You've just taken a straight line and inverted it 1/x. The x and y values are still related to the first order (i.e. x^1, as opposed to x^2 or sin(x)), which is the definition of linear.

http://pw.solandri.com/pics/damage_pdef.png

Look, I completely agree with the things you are saying. It's why I've always countered conventional wisdom here and advocated defense as slightly more important than hp. But that doesn't change the fact that defense and survivability have a linear relationship. Just like hp and survivability have a linear relationship.
  • kenlee
    edited January 2010
    Options
    well after you posted before i also said its linear when you count hp as fixed value and i can agree on that. rising hp will work the same. the graph was for seconds example/case, about finding the middle point where you get enough damage to survive till charm is gone.

i just said that you get to a limit where both cases will survive without fixes hp, the problem was finding the lower limit and balance both defences. counting that half your hp is restored every 10 seconds then counting lets say event pots 3k HP for next 10 seconds, its just a matter of finding the point where hp doesnt drop and start cycling.
    lets say in a extreme case without pots/charm you can get defences to 30k or something high. if damage takes is lower and it is, you can probably manage to cover the hp loss just from hp recovery (buffs/vit or hp regen from gear/apothecary). here it is another point where survivability stops being the same again.
    while rising phys defence so high m.def will go down, especially when magic hit alot harder in this game is not that good. clerics/venos/wizards have physical attack too, physical classes just use magic from genies to kill other physical classes. so again a reason to balance both defences especially in TW/mass pvp.

well is hard to say what im thinking when your 1st language isnt english but i have kinda of other idea about survivability