casual marriage

Comments

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I dont like whats been happening with this marriage sale. Lately everyone is just casually marrying nowadays. They marry complete strangers just to get another daily quest. Some random guy asked me to marry him and I was like who the f are you? lol Seriously, whatever happened to in game love

lol Seriously?

I said I'd never get married in-game cause it was just plain silly. Now I'm married and I have a cute quest I can perform with one of my oldest friends on PWI, and because of this we end up spending more time playing together. I don't really need the XP that much, but 588k at lvl 100 will be nice help to hit 101, and she gets about 360k, which is a nice chunk for her at lvl 88. We have a fun little quest, then do our WQ and then do whatever we need to do. It's actually kind of nice what they did with it.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Inabikari - Raging Tide
    Inabikari - Raging Tide Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    QFT x100mil or so >_>. A concept many, many people don't seem to understand. Yes it's a game, I'm not gonna start taking everything in a way too serious manner, but some people go overboard even for a game.

I wouldn't try to look for an online relationship myself (some would say a RL one is already enough trouble, lmao) but it doesn't mean other people aren't doing it. This barely affects my gameplay... aside when a couple stalls a whole group in an instance or when it breaks down factions and friendships. Because yes, people form friendships over MMOs! Le gasp!

I think, however, there are limits to that. I think the key is balancing it out and not taking the game way too seriously.

Hehe... Yeah, real relationships are trouble indeed when your boyfriend's brother nearly kills you... I think I have the story straight. XD Idk, it's none of my business anyway. Hai from ragingtide Xan!
    RIP Resolve. You guys still owe me TW pay. XD

Varden- <3 you all!
  • chelseacraft
    chelseacraft Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Maybe I didn't make myself very clear the first time.

Real life romance on an internet game is immature.

Role playing a romance on an internet game is humorous & fun.

If you don't believe me, then next time you are in a public gathering just blurt out that you met the love of your life on an internet fantasy game & see what the reaction from everyone is.

The argument that real people play fantasy roles in a fantasy game therefore real relationships are possible is called "appealing to logic" and does nothing to prove that those relationships are mature or based on reality. Actual love is based on pheremones, visual cues & perceptions as well as common experiences in reality such as sex, recreation and sharing life events together. PWI cannot provide those things therefore there is no real love on PWI. Appealing to the logic that we are real doesn't make the fantasy land we play in real.
  • Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver
    Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2010

If you don't believe me, then next time you are in a public gathering just blurt out that you met the love of your life on an internet fantasy game & see what the reaction from everyone is.

The argument that real people play fantasy roles in a fantasy game therefore real relationships are possible is called "appealing to logic" and does nothing to prove that those relationships are mature or based on reality. Actual love is based on pheremones, visual cues & perceptions as well as common experiences in reality such as sex, recreation and sharing life events together. PWI cannot provide those things therefore there is no real love on PWI. Appealing to the logic that we are real doesn't make the fantasy land we play in real.
    thats why i said in game love

and i do love someone on PWI. but of course...she got married b:sad
  • chelseacraft
    chelseacraft Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    thats why i said in game love

and i do love someone on PWI. but of course...she got married b:cry

Yeah that's why it should be kept to just having silly fun & not get serious.

When I first started the game I met a fun guy & we had some laughs. He liked to carry me around & kiss me & it was cute. Next thing I know he's getting all moody, serious, proclaiming undying love & bugging me constantly about meeting me in real life! He tried to tell me something was wrong with me for not wanting to take the "next steps" in our so called relationship. The whole time I told him it's just a game, I'm married in real life & it's all just a big game to me nothing real. Not only that but he kept trying to tell me to share my login info so he can "help" me by doing CS & WQ while I'm gone.

Moral of the story... it's just a game & nothing is really what it seems to be in the game. b:chuckle
  • Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear
    Hunter_PT - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited January 2010

I know a few people who have found love on MMO's and gone on to meet the person IRL and done the stuff u talked about so its none of the things you listed at all. Your own opinion is just that an opinion and im sure thousands of people have met up and found love on PW alone because they will all have common ground to talk about and enjoy giving them time to form a relationship and then meet IRL and have a happy relationship.

What you said is complete rubbish and has no truth in it what so ever it is just your own personally distorted opinion which makes me think maybe you have been hurt or let down on PW or a previous MMO.
    Executor Of Reunited ~ Level 3 ~ Level 85+ ~ No Drama, No Pressure Faction.

Hunter_PT - Cleric 9X, (Active/Main)
    PoisonedTip - Veno 7x (Retired)
    Skeln - Barbarian 4X (Rarely-Active)
    Hunter_The - BM 1X (Rarely-Active)
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Most people under 40ish would probably just say... eh, that's not new. Most people over would probably still give you strange looks.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Deadlock - Heavens Tear
    Deadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Well it's there money the can do with it how they please. if that means marrying some one randomly so be it. seems like some one hurt your feelings otherwise this post would never come to the forums. Really who cares they are on Sale....
  • SoulsideMoon - Raging Tide
    SoulsideMoon - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong, but I find it hard to take the entire in-game relationship/marriage feature seriously. Not because I believe in casual/random dating; but because it's only a game, you will never really be with your partner in reality unless you already are. And then there's this whole trust/mistrust factor. It can also be emotionally unhealthy and very depressing, I'm saying this from my own experience in online/long-distance relationships. Then again, there are still those quest benefits.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Rofl -.-

Don't be an idiot, seriously
  • Desmerelda - Lost City
    Desmerelda - Lost City Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Casual marriage is a choice but I strongly recommend finding a player with whom you like to "hang out" with and have a compatible play schedule and who you believe will play for the long term. My pwi husband and I were married before they came out with the marriage quest but have a lot of fun hanging out and doing quests other than the marriage daily together. I am married in rl and he is considerably younger than me so we can flirt outrageously knowing its all in fun. My rl husband just shakes his head and laughs since he has no interest in playing this game. A friend of mine married a rl boyfriend and 6 months later they broke up and their marriage quest is a nightmare and divorce is imminent. Even if you only paid 15 gold for the marriage pack, that's still a lot of money to waste on a spouse who leaves you high and dry. Yes the 417k exp I get daily is great but the fun we have is worth way more.
  • VILKASS - Sanctuary
    VILKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    <-- married two times b:avoid b:cute Atleast I always got chi
  • _Keiji_ - Heavens Tear
    _Keiji_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i'm married to the same girl twice
  • Alizeee - Heavens Tear
    Alizeee - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Well love is cute and all....but I mean seriously; there is no time for LOVE....only WAR. b:chuckle
  • SugarCupcake - Sanctuary
    SugarCupcake - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Yeah you should be careful about who you marry. They might be there one day and then the next their gone and never told you if or when they will be back. b:sad
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2010

RPing a romance isn't fun for me, and can get downright annoying when overdone... but I've never been much an RPer, despite me living off RPGs >_>. A few of my friends had background stories for their characters, while others just used them as avatars. I'm one of the latter - I just don't need and/or want to play-pretend at some extent (what I like in MMOs is the different roles in a team I can play as). I like social interactions, yes, and if most MMOs weren't actually MMOs I wouldn't play them.

To put it bluntly: I'm there to kill the **** outta pixels with other people who like to kill the **** outta pixels.

However, I wouldn't say RL romance on an internet game is immature. TBH, these people can do whatever they want, and I won't stop them from doing so if that's what they like to do. But we won't play much together, that I can guarantee. Different goals mostly. I like the technical side of MMOs and games in general rather than proper RPing (builds, damage, aggro, economics... with a good side of sociology, which is why I'm nearly spamming this topic).

Probably less bad than saying you're going out with someone your own gender, or two very different cultural backgrounds, etc etc. I'm gonna keep it at this, I don't wanna turn this into a whole debate. Just had to be said.
    Actual love is based on pheremones, visual cues & perceptions as well as common experiences in reality such as sex, recreation and sharing life events together. PWI cannot provide those things therefore there is no real love on PWI. Appealing to the logic that we are real doesn't make the fantasy land we play in real.

In fact I agree with that. However, the land we play in may not be real, but the feelings may be, or at least, appear to be. My problem with online relationships within a game (and sometimes RL relationships brought over a game) is how it affects other people around. It can even sound contradicting because they can break some things we hold on to, such as factions, friends, and sometimes romantic relationships.

Because even if we don't really wanna admit it, we all have friends over, and we'd be relatively mad if they **** accounts, broke trusts, etc etc. Why do you think there's so much drama? People still have feelings even if the world is fake, because you're still putting effort into it. And just like IRL, if these efforts end up being worthless, it's discouraging.

Unlike RL however, you can easily get rid of the thing: by logging off the game.

I most certainly have gone off-topic somewhere... I don't even know anymore, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Axelire - Heavens Tear
    Axelire - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Young Barbie here, currently residing in Heavens Tear.

I am adventurous and furry. I've been accused of being over-protective at times, but I think it is one of my virtues.

Looking for serious long-term relationship.

b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HitsTwice - Raging Tide
    HitsTwice - Raging Tide Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The marriage system in this game sounds cute, although some people need to remember that this is just a game. I flirt with some ladies in the game but out of fun, not seriously. Just remember that this is just a game people, keep it fun, not weird lol.
    Native Pride
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i'm married to the same girl twice

I have a friend on heaven's tear who asked his in game wife to divorce him b/c he loved her so much he wanted to marry her again.

I thought they was nuts to waste the money, but they did it. NOW THAT is RPing :P
  • Nicolaya - Heavens Tear
    Nicolaya - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Well your in luck then, their putting more fashion in for you to waste your hard earned money on b:chuckle
  • Taboo - Harshlands
    Taboo - Harshlands Posts: 1,420 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    This is by far the dumbest thread i have ever seen on any game related forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    you think getting married in a game for the sole purpose of obtaining a new daily is worrisome? people have been marrying for social, economical, and political, etc reasons throughout history. nowadays some marry for completely **** reasons

my take is, some people take it seriously, some people don't. let the people that take it as a game worry about their own money and fake marriage, you enjoy your real-virtual blissful marriage, just like how we roll in the real world. you don't worry when a dude gets married at Vegas while drunk do you?
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • HitsTwice - Raging Tide
    HitsTwice - Raging Tide Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Im tall, dark blue and handsome and lookin for a girlfriend, any of u ladies out there interested? LOL just kidding b:laugh
    Native Pride
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I agree that just asking a random person to marry you is bad, but if two people who are friends and have money to buy marriage packs for the quest thats fine.Before this, people only married because they actually cared for someone. I dont see any problem with it. I agree with Desmerelda, and make sure youre both on the same page. Make sure one person doesn't care for the other more than a friend while the other person just see them as friends...that could cause drama which you dont need on a game.

As for in game love...I personally dont believe that someone could romanticly love someone in a game. I feel that you can care for someone a lot and you can be attracted to them (if you've seen their picture..dont get me started on people who say youre cute when they have only seen your character in game...Im sorry but I dont have wings sprouting out of my head) but love on game is iffy to me. I know people can meet them in real life and find out that they work out together and date and continue on from there...but I dont think you can love someone without meeting them or moving in with them. I'm not ruling out that you can meet someone on game, like everything about them or what you know about them, and then meet them in real life and love every quirk they have...I'm just saying its slim.

I agree with what chelseacraft said, you can't experience what you can in life with the game. You cant gauge the other persons reaction, unless they are on vent and even then. Gestures and facial expressions can help a lot in gauging a reaction with the other person. I can easily go on and hide my real emotions through text when something happens. There have been studies on how some people may act differently online (like cyber bullying/doing things online you will never do in person) . I know I do, I'm way more outgoing online than in person unless I with friends. Online I warm up to people easier and faster etc.
    Anyway...I think from talking to someone online, you can care for them a lot, and be attracted to them, and then you get to the point where you meet them in person, and then fall in love from there if things work out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2010

spoken like a true biased person. I think belittling other pples individual values are more immature. Just because your values dont agree doesnt mean you should label them in a demeaning way for others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • PsychicHarpy - Heavens Tear
    PsychicHarpy - Heavens Tear Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I get 24 pm's a day asking for marriage and it's practically annoying if you ask me. and My mom and Dad both play and they got married with their chars. I plan on marrying my Dad's alt char soon. Sounds weird I know....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm the only Harpy, Who's Psychic and knows all!b:chuckleb:pleased

Live Life How You wish To Live It.

I love PWI, Teh Forums, and Konari b:thanks

Is currently working on Wizzy (imo better than my Psy)b:surrender name: SaphiraGione
  • Nicolaya - Heavens Tear
    Nicolaya - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I think its kinda cute when ppl get married if they are really into each other for role playing purposes or maybe real life.... the random marriages is kinda weird and a waste of money to be honest.

If somone wanted to marry my character (which i've said it before) ok if you pay for the bride pack to b:chuckle of course they run away... i think its kinda funny b:laugh
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    spoken like a true biased person. I think belittling other pples individual values are more immature. Just because your values dont agree doesnt mean you should label them in a demeaning way for others.

ooo Deceptipoo~ lets get into a 3 way marriage with me and Astypoo!

We'll let you choose who you want your wife to be! b:cute

(Astypoo will provide the 3 marriage packs b:avoid)
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Young Barbie here, currently residing in Heavens Tear.

I am adventurous and furry. I've been accused of being over-protective at times, but I think it is one of my virtues.

Looking for serious long-term relationship.

b:chuckle

Sign me up!! You'd be Ken tho unless you are a barb with a female behind the scenes!
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Yes it may be a role playing game but behind these characters are real people with feelings.

Indeed...
    drukjebrilki8.jpg