casual marriage

Options
Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver
Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
I dont like whats been happening with this marriage sale. Lately everyone is just casually marrying nowadays. They marry complete strangers just to get another daily quest. Some random guy asked me to marry him and I was like who the f are you? lol Seriously, whatever happened to in game love
Post edited by Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Admante - Dreamweaver
    Admante - Dreamweaver Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    in game love

b:shocked
    b:chuckle
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    There's always random marriages regardless of the sale.

But like in real life, rush in to get married, and you'll regret it.

The person might become inactive, and then you're kinda screwed over.
    Belligero
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I had a friend who married himself. Veno to Assassin. At least he can guarantee his partner will be there for the daily every day b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Love and interest went on vacation one day, but interest was stronger than the love they had.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Love and interest went on vacation one day, but interest was stronger than the love they had.b:chuckle

I cried at this story. b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Chovan - Harshlands
    Chovan - Harshlands Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The person might become inactive, and then you're kinda screwed over.

Kinda harsh way to put it since getting divorced only requires one half of the marriage to do it. So it's relatively easy to undo.
    I dont like whats been happening with this marriage sale.

I bet PWI are loving it b:laugh more money for them and lets face it for high lvl players it's a crapload of XP daily.
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I had a friend who married himself. Veno to Assassin. At least he can guarantee his partner will be there for the daily every day b:chuckle

I had several friends telling me I should marry my veno alt. I came close to a couple times, but in the end, I feel like it's wasting a 30 bucks (make that 60, it's MY alt) I could use on something more... useful. D-orbs, socket stones, mounts. Although now with the marriage quests...

... Eh. I'm fine single in-game after all >_>. Already married IRL, not sure I want another "relationship" to tend to in-game.

Actually another wedding I came close to was my director, a good RL friend of mine. We're both **** men in stable RL relationships, we both don't care; we just thought it would be funny... and in the end we both didn't care enough to get our packs. He stopped playing his veno anyways, and he quit about 2 weeks ago x[.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Marriage was a nice RP aspect to the game. In no way related to advance, simply a superfluous thing such as fashion, it was a nice game feature...

Now its a way to pay for the privaledge of an easy High Exp daily and thats how too many are viewing it now. Seriously at 99 its over 500k XP for a 10 minute excursion. I dont like what they did to it.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Marriage was a nice RP aspect to the game. In no way related to advance, simply a superfluous thing such as fashion, it was a nice game feature...

Now its a way to pay for the privaledge of an easy High Exp daily and thats how too many are viewing it now. Seriously at 99 its over 500k XP for a 10 minute excursion. I dont like what they did to it.

Whaaa~... seriously? 500k exp a day?

I'm considering this. Wow. I'm not sure if I feel sad, speechless, tempted, or still not caring. I probably won't get married still, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options
    He stopped playing his veno anyways, and he quit about 2 weeks ago x[.
    b:sad

10character
    edited January 2010
    Options
    b:sad

10character

Yeah me too x[. I knew he was getting bored with the game, that his RL was kicking in (mostly for the good though, lol) and that he was tired of having to deal with outside-faction squads as a cleric (his new main)... but that came off as nearly no-surprise from me. It still sucks x[.

But that's another incentive that gets me not to get married. 'Cause with my luck (or lack thereof) I'll get married and find out my partner quits like 2 hours after the ceremony, lol. Even with myself, I stopped playing my veno at the "profit" (???) of a cleric, which is male, therefore can't marry, yada yada.

Someone mentioned RP earlier... did some people really marry for the sake of RP? I can understand at some point, some people ARE heavy RPers, but that side never really attracted me... and yeah, I play a MMORPG. (Mostly for the MMO part, lol).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The exp is severely and extremely tempting. I was and kinda still am tempted to marry an alt. And yeah its a freaking game but i personally want to save my marriage for someone i feel special about. And hopefully not be a widow >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • chelseacraft
    chelseacraft Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    b:chuckle @ what's happened to "in game love" <facepalm>

A few things come to mind... such as "get real" and "grow up".

Reminds me of my little neice playing wedding with her Barbie & Ken dolls. Only difference is she's just 8 yrs old...

Also... MMORPG... the RPG stands for ROLE PLAYING GAME... not reality game.

Don't blame anyone but yourself if you're disappointed you can't find REALITY on PWI. LOL
  • Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options

Reminds me of my little neice playing wedding with her Barbie & Ken dolls. Only difference is she's just 8 yrs old...

Don't blame anyone but yourself if you're disappointed you can't find REALITY on PWI. LOL

Yes it may be a role playing game but behind these characters are real people with feelings.
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I dont like whats been happening with this marriage sale. Lately everyone is just casually marrying nowadays. They marry complete strangers just to get another daily quest. Some random guy asked me to marry him and I was like who the f are you? lol Seriously, whatever happened to in game love

Ok you just ask what happened to in game love. Its love in a game. Seriously how long do you expect it to last? I know a 14 year old in this game who has a new husband almost every week. WHY???? She's 14. Not capable of a real relationship in the real world or a fake one.

Those who marry in the game and stay married for any amount of time are usually adults who are serious, adults who are already married (my case) or friends who play the game together and like the extra experience. Nothing wrong with any of this if it suits both people.

Even to marry my real life husband I waited for packs to go on sale. Was like 5 months after we started playing the game. When packs are cheaper more people are likely to buy them. PWI should make them permanantly 20 gold. They'd sell more than they do now netting them much more profit. If they knocked it down to 10 gold a pack, they'd quadruple their sales (for all those who like changing spouses once a month/week)and their profit.

How does the fact that you can get experience change the marriage experience in this game? If you don't like it simply get married and don't do the quest. My guess is, you would do it if it was available. But I don't see how this changed the aspect of the game in any way except.....

Those of us who are having to grind for months to get a lvl are now finally a bit more satisfied that our goal can be attained much faster. Therefore making more people play to higher levels. Many people get to lvl 80 and after seeing the time and effort having to put into lvling, they quit.

This became a win/win situation for PWI AND the players.

Nothing wrong with forming REAL relationships with REAL people on this game. There are real people behind the toons. However; I totally support your analogy on this.
    edited January 2010
    Options

Yes it may be a role playing game but behind these characters are real people with feelings.

QFT x100mil or so >_>. A concept many, many people don't seem to understand. Yes it's a game, I'm not gonna start taking everything in a way too serious manner, but some people go overboard even for a game.

I wouldn't try to look for an online relationship myself (some would say a RL one is already enough trouble, lmao) but it doesn't mean other people aren't doing it. This barely affects my gameplay... aside when a couple stalls a whole group in an instance or when it breaks down factions and friendships. Because yes, people form friendships over MMOs! Le gasp!

I think, however, there are limits to that. I think the key is balancing it out and not taking the game way too seriously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The people i like tend to always have either BF or alrdy married OR just totally dumb timezone compared to me.

<--- will be single forever b:surrender

I'm not marrying som1 for the exp XD.
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Whaaa~... seriously? 500k exp a day?

I'm considering this. Wow. I'm not sure if I feel sad, speechless, tempted, or still not caring. I probably won't get married still, lol.

323k at your level. Makes WQ seem like a waste of time.

I'm one of the few who actually saved up for a pack along with my gf back when marriage had no vanity benefits and it actually meant something. Now the entire concept means nothing whatsoever, it's basically a $30 bonus daily.
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    How does the fact that you can get experience change the marriage experience in this game? If you don't like it simply get married and don't do the quest. My guess is, you would do it if it was available. But I don't see how this changed the aspect of the game in any way except.....

Those of us who are having to grind for months to get a lvl are now finally a bit more satisfied that our goal can be attained much faster. Therefore making more people play to higher levels. Many people get to lvl 80 and after seeing the time and effort having to put into lvling, they quit.

This became a win/win situation for PWI AND the players.

The problem is just what this thread entails. People are no longer marrying for the RP experience. The problem is this is nothing different then putting Oracles on sale in the Boutique. PWI has turned something nice & sweet, a showing of affection, into paying real money to get Experience without work.

If you think i have a problem with people having an easier time getting Experience in general you couldnt be more wrong. I have played many other MMOs before this, and it happens in every game and i expect it. Those who get anything first, whether it be items or Experience, always have it harder then people later. Experience tables get nerfed, Dungeons get nerfed, Dailies are introduced, there's a public outcry for repairations, but its the price the early people pay to have something first. To make a real example in this game, i levelled to 90ish without any BHs, now that i'm 99 there's triple BHs. Am i butt-hurt in anyway? Not in the slightest.

My problem is simply that people marry to people they could care less about, only to get easy Experience. And its not their fault, i dont blame the players for taking advantage of a tool put in front of them. My problem is with PWI for introducing an obvious real life cash for XP scheme.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

sadly for some, as you can see, it takes more being the mature age of having 8yr old nieces to comprehend that there are pple and feelings behind those pixels, otherwise they wouldnt be posting like that.

It just boils down to whose just doing it for the exp and whose looking for something a bit more special. In this case it seems the pple who are looking for something a bit special are looked down upon. Why i have no idea. Maybe they havnt had good experiences themselves?

Its the same concept of like say giving a high lvl gear to a 'special' person. Whether that special person is a long time trustable friend or a GF, you dont just choose someone who came in your faction thats lvl enough to use it just because its a pixel.

pple hold diff. things dear to them is all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    *pokes Deceptipoo's side*
    ooo~ when has Deceptipoo been so sentimental?
    i cant stop giggling!

b:beatupb:chuckle
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Daizengar - Sanctuary
    Daizengar - Sanctuary Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    b:cry

*manly tears from Star's wonderous speech... and stuff.... yeah.*

But really though, that was well said, boss lady.
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    What I find rather annoying is the fact that the weddings themselves are a bit more expensive than it should be. Even with the sales, the in-game weddings shouldn't cost nearly as much as it would cost to get an actual marriage liscense. If I wanted to get married to someone for those prices, I might as well marry them in real life.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nudefoxy - Lost City
    Nudefoxy - Lost City Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ???in game love???whats that, sorry i only know real life love
  • Estasi - Sanctuary
    Estasi - Sanctuary Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I use to Rp a lot in other games. I enjoyed it, the story lines the plots and yes even the drama that came with the rp. It was the whole of idea of watching a story unfold with the help of others adding to it. Now this is the good side of rping when everyone enjoys it and has a good time. There is a darker side of rping and that is when a person can not see the line that crosses between real life and fantasy. It does not matter how old you are, it can happen to anyone, that your life becomes consumed into the rp.

I speak from experience when I say that there was a time when I had people fall in love with the char. I created thinking it was really me. Kinda scary no? Anyway this is how you get online stalkers and sometimes they become more. What worries me most is someone said that they know a 14 year old that has been married a few times in game. Now at 14 my parents did not give me 30 dollars to throw in a game just to get married. So as a real life mother of a daughter I wonder what is going on that this child is able to marry so often.

Now to the point of this thread. Yes I am married in game to someone. The man who plays my husband in pwi has become very close to me and I consider him my best friend and more. He and I quested together for close to a year before we married our mains together. So it's not like he and I randomly picked someone and got married. The points that people are making about, you really don't know how long someone is going to play, is actually a good point. If you marry someone and two weeks from now they are inactive you are truly screwed. Unless you have 2million laying around to waste.

To sum it all up... think before you spend the money to get hitched. Yeah its a great quest for easy exp but make sure you have at least quested with the person for a little while before you go through it. I don't think they going to be taking this quest away so there is no real hurry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way"
    ~ Jessica Rabbit
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
    Ittoogami says I'm addicted to clothes, but I say a girl can never have enough outfits!
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    What I find rather annoying is the fact that the weddings themselves are a bit more expensive than it should be. Even with the sales, the in-game weddings shouldn't cost nearly as much as it would cost to get an actual marriage liscense. If I wanted to get married to someone for those prices, I might as well marry them in real life.

It costs less in 47 states to get married in real life than to get married ingame.

Ijs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Siege - Dreamweaver
    Siege - Dreamweaver Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    323k at your level. Makes WQ seem like a waste of time.

I'm one of the few who actually saved up for a pack along with my gf back when marriage had no vanity benefits and it actually meant something. Now the entire concept means nothing whatsoever, it's basically a $30 bonus daily.

One of the few? Seriously? Before the marriage quest came out, I've seen people get married left and right. Where's the proof that you're one of the "few."

Yeah it means nothing now that you're married. lol ok. I'm sure your opinion would be different if it were otherwise. So going by what you're saying, anyone that gets married now are only doing it for the quest correct?

What a narrow mind you have.
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The problem is just what this thread entails. People are no longer marrying for the RP experience. The problem is this is nothing different then putting Oracles on sale in the Boutique. PWI has turned something nice & sweet, a showing of affection, into paying real money to get Experience without work.

If you think i have a problem with people having an easier time getting Experience in general you couldnt be more wrong. I have played many other MMOs before this, and it happens in every game and i expect it. Those who get anything first, whether it be items or Experience, always have it harder then people later. Experience tables get nerfed, Dungeons get nerfed, Dailies are introduced, there's a public outcry for repairations, but its the price the early people pay to have something first. To make a real example in this game, i levelled to 90ish without any BHs, now that i'm 99 there's triple BHs. Am i butt-hurt in anyway? Not in the slightest.

My problem is simply that people marry to people they could care less about, only to get easy Experience. And its not their fault, i dont blame the players for taking advantage of a tool put in front of them. My problem is with PWI for introducing an obvious real life cash for XP scheme.

What you seem to be missing is that even before the daily exp, there were teenyboppers getting married for the sake of a giggle. A week later they got divorced. As I said before I knew of a 14 year old who was getting remarried every week.

I guess what I'm saying, exp or no exp; people were not using the whole marriage idea for what you are saying it should be.

I married my real life husband in the game for love. On an alt I married a friend who is also married in real life but his wife doesn't play. He wanted someone to marry for the exp who would realize it was just the exp he wanted. Not a relationship. That is no different than the giggly girls and boys who think its fun to get in game married, stay married for a week and then move onto their next victim!

Everyone plays the game different, and enjoys different things out of the game. Some people think they have to do every quest to feel complete while others rather just grind their lvls. Everyone likes something different, and for those who use the marriage part as a role playing experience, they can still do that. Nothing is taken away by people getting more bang for their marriage buck!
  • HitsTwice - Raging Tide
    HitsTwice - Raging Tide Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The price to get married in the game is... well overpriced, Id rather spend my gold on new fashion, besides I love the bachelor life lol b:laugh
    Native Pride
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I had several friends telling me I should marry my veno alt. I came close to a couple times, but in the end, I feel like it's wasting a 30 bucks (make that 60, it's MY alt) I could use on something more... useful. D-orbs, socket stones, mounts. Although now with the marriage quests...

... Eh. I'm fine single in-game after all >_>. Already married IRL, not sure I want another "relationship" to tend to in-game.

Actually another wedding I came close to was my director, a good RL friend of mine. We're both **** men in stable RL relationships, we both don't care; we just thought it would be funny... and in the end we both didn't care enough to get our packs. He stopped playing his veno anyways, and he quit about 2 weeks ago x[.

b:dirtyXanny i will marry you, but im already married to max :(
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze