Really all that?

Options
Berys - Harshlands
Berys - Harshlands Posts: 33 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Cleric
So of late I've noticed that almost every squad I've been in (mainly the bounty hunters) I've been complimented on my abilities as a cleric. First off, I want to say that I really don't think I'm all that hot b:surrender, just like being a cleric.

What I can't figure is what makes them think like that. Have they just been dealing with a lot of clerics that afk or forget to be healing often? Or something else? Just wondering what my fellow clerics think about this.

And fyi, yes I catch myself staring at the tv some days while healing parties. More for the ones that I see can handle themselves if I space out a bit. Heaven forbid there's another cleric in the squad, because then you'll see me become the biggest newbie of all b:beatup
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
The other half is having enough ordinance to level a small country.
Post edited by Berys - Harshlands on

Comments

• __Hysteria__ - Lost City
    __Hysteria__ - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    well, youd be surprised how many ppl fail at playing theyre class cleric or otherwise.
  • Berys - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I suppose thats true, but they can't ALL be bad. Otherwise people would never get anything done in dungeons. Though I suppose they could have already hit endgame and I'm just hanging back like I enjoy doing.
  • Flying_Flash - Sanctuary
    Flying_Flash - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You might just be running into some nice people too since I've seen kind of the same things lately, people complimenting me a lot.

Of course you still get those occasional squads where people try to tell you what to do and they start screaming at you. *Remembers a veno screamin at me a few days ago to BLESS BLESS* Maybe if we had a skill called bless, I'd understand? lol. & if it meant bb, well Rankar cancels bb so who knows.

Always good to see people that appreciate clerics though :D
  • Mooxie - Lost City
    Mooxie - Lost City Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    There are a lot of good clerics, but the ones who are bad tend to leave more of a reputation that people will remember b:surrender
    Just the other day i was in a squad on my archer and the cleric was healing the tank and suddenly stops halfway through to meditate! She tells us she needs to regain MP and that she will be back in a few, in the middle of a boss! b:cry I'm pretty sure you can guess how that ended (;

It is extremely nice to get complimented though, makes me want to work harderb:pleased
  • hemoglobin
    hemoglobin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    there are many bad clerics and they tend to blame the archers for stealing agro. so its really nice when i have a nice cleric who comes to my rescue when i steal agro and not yell at me
  • Illusionista - Heavens Tear
    Illusionista - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    well, youd be surprised how many ppl fail at playing theyre class cleric or otherwise.

Seconded. You'd think playing a cleric would be easy and stuff, but you'd be surprised how many people FAIL at playing cleric. I've been in squads where I have one other cleric with me and I'm clearly not doing my job and being naughty (;D), and the other cleric will do the stupidest things... Like group heal when a barb is tanking a boss. Group heal. The slowass skill. Yeah. And the boss won't have AoE...and the Tank is clearly tanking... :D ...which forces me to heal, which I really hate. :<...Don't ask why I rolled a cleric XD

In terms of meditate during boss = fail. I can understand the MP situation, where clerics sit and meditate and stuff...We take TONS of MP and the consumption makes me and my wallet cry. Although I know sometimes it's hard to buy all those MP pots, honestly, it's your job as a cleric to keep the MP pots in stock in your inventory. Make friends who understand the MP situation and might spare you pots or get your own pots. Either way, a cleric should NEVER run out of mana pots... I suppose some people don't think this way though...

@OP... Ahaha. Good for you being complimented on your skills as a cleric. :3 I dunno if it's a PvP server thing or not, but maybe you're a rare breed of cleric that actually wants to heal on a PvP server and I don't just mean yourself when you're being attacked. X3
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    In terms of meditate during boss = fail.

b:surrenderguiltyb:chuckle

but we had 2 clerics in a fb51 1 BB 1 med then switch... went very well.

but to the OP, I hate to blame this on oracles again but... I have been complimented on being a good cleric as well as (and this was surprising) being called one heck of a tank on my barb. only because I was just doing my job in a squad. anymore people level too fast and dont know what all those colorful buttons they put at the bottom of their screen do. running quinzi 3 times for bh in a day could nearly lvl a 4x daily and all they will (yes this is a blanket statement and i know it is not 100% correct) all they will know to do is run fb29. then they get to farren in 39 have a panic attack cuz of aoe and cause a squad wipe.

It is nice to be thanked and complimented but honestly general thanks at the end of a flawless run to the whole squad is enough... it just means everyone did their job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Illusionista - Heavens Tear
    Illusionista - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    b:surrenderguiltyb:chuckle

but we had 2 clerics in a fb51 1 BB 1 med then switch... went very well.

Definitely forgot the oracle noobs. :P

I also blame the oracles... You really either need to be a fast learner or actually spend time on the class you're trying to master here.

And I'm not saying meditating = fail... just saying it depends on the situation though you should theoretically never run out of MP pots...aka, you need to have mana ready in case of any unexpected situation. If you're alternating and doing your job, no one can complain about that...

It's really when some fail cleric decides to let the tank's charm tick like mad just to conserve a little MP. And trust me, I've had instances in which a good friend of mine would be tanking and the other cleric would just stop healing because he/she would refuse to pot. I finally watched said friend's charm tick way too much and ceased DDing to heal. And this said, I was higher level with clearly higher magic thus DDing + debuffing because I thought it would speed the process up instead of using my time to heal... So overall, it caused the group more time taken on the boss meaning increased repair cost to the tank and more wasted time. It kinda made me think why the hell he/she was even there if they weren't going to do anything to benefit the group. >.>

I guess it's a bit personal... xD

But I didn't mean to make it sound unsympathetic to the mana problem because believe me, I know all too well... ^_^;
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    A good portion lies in oracles i think too (altho not all), it could also be one of those melee who say all clerics need to do is heal, playing their alt cleric, not knowing they suck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Berys - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Ok, happy to say that I've never pulled that med stunt on a boss. Parked myself a few times before I was charmed though (and had run out of pots b:surrender) when the squad was getting to far ahead and taking way to much damage at a time...

...stinking blademasters in bh39...

Thats a rant for another time though
  • Nairod - Dreamweaver
    Nairod - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Im always making sure i have pots before i go into a bh or fb... Its very expensive and most of the players i play with know that. sometimes they give me pots as thanks for being a good cleric or when they know i must be running out because things are getting crazy.

I just did my very first public quest... and i was rank #3 out of everyone there... #1 cleric by class. I used up 68 pots, healing, dealing damage, and rez'n people that got away from my range.

Its very hard to be a cleric... when ever i play my BM or Sin is a cake walk... but its always so much harder to play cleric because I have to do multiple jobs at one time and keep an eye on everyone at the same time... When im playing melee i only worry about myself... BMs and Sins have it easy... im sure is the same for Barbs =)

D.

PS: i hate psys... god i hate them... i was in a squad with 4 psys, 1 bm, and me... Holy ****... i hate psys... every move they pull aggro! try doing a bh when aggro is being pull in 4 directions and peoples health is at 1/16 lol hahahaha Good times...
    b:victory
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    PS: i hate psys... god i hate them... i was in a squad with 4 psys, 1 bm, and me... Holy ****... i hate psys... every move they pull aggro! try doing a bh when aggro is being pull in 4 directions and peoples health is at 1/16 lol hahahaha Good times...

^ This is the experience that the Oracler's miss out on. At higher levels you will have to know and recognize the moment just before or just after that the aggro changes. Although not 100% of the time, Cleric's should be able to change their healing patterns to fit the need and the situation.

Oh, and yes, Psychic's have a back habit of pulling aggro...I know mine does b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Rophe - Heavens Tear
    Rophe - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Being a good cleric is all about knowing your limits, your tank, and just paying attention.

I heal for barbs with 25k+ HP. I know that I can switch of between healing and DD because they can take a beating before their charm ticking. On the other hand, if I am healing a BM through a BH99, I need to pay a little more attention, boost their defense with demon stream, keep them wound up with Ironheart, purify etc, because they simply cannot take the hits.

A clerics job is to assess the situation, and support in whatever way is most helpful. No two situations are the same! We are obviously the best healers, we are great debuffers, fantastic DDs, and some of the best PKers. It is a versatile class, you just have to know all the ins and outs.

My Cleric got to 100 in 13 months.
    My Psychic got to 70 in 1 month.

Which one do you think I know better?
  • Berys - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    Options

Haven't had to deal with to many Psy's but yes, I have noticed that... but while I haven't had to deal with that with Psy's, I've had more than my share of that with venos. For example: healed bh51 for a squad of three 60s barbs when I was a 40ish cleric, 1 charm tick the whole way. Cake. Last week, bh51, three venos and myself all in mid to late 60s.... I wanted to cry....

And you do have a very good point there RedsRose and Rophe. Think that may be why the squads were giving me props... kept seeing that the archers we had were pro agro stealers so I managed to get an IH or two on them before they got nailed.
  • Ewings - Heavens Tear
    Ewings - Heavens Tear Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Being a good cleric is all about knowing a change in situation before hand and taking preemptive measure. A simple example being when ninjaing thru Brimstone I often find ppl bring in a bunch of rangers and then ask for BB. If you think your squad can handle such a situation ull stack tank beforehand and start spamming aoe heals, or if u think they cant, youll get urself to safety to ensure your squad gets back on track quickly, this kinda stuff you can only get by Experience and keen observation. You may have been doing stuff like this during your dungeon run which makes them realize that you are a good cleric.

Another valid example is what rose said, good clerics can tell after a few minute into dungeon about whus gonna be aggroing, heck some of us can tell it beforehand, as long as those people are fine with the risks of death and charm tickage it is a clerics duty to keep em alive or atleast attempt to. But this excludes holy pathing 10 Kilometres ahead of the cleric, then dying :((.