Tips for fighting stealthed assassins?

Seiowan - Harshlands
Seiowan - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Arigora Colosseum
I was enjoying a few fights the other day with an assassin. Now unstealthed, an assassin is an easy target, in my humble opinion. You point, you shoot, they die. But a stealthed assassin, and the majority of good assassins will be, is truly a force to be reckoned with when fighting softer targets such as my cleric.

Firstly, being stealthed means they often get the alpha strike which is further enhanced by their ability to teleport directly next to their targets. Given their ability to enhance their own critical hit damage, this can be a truly brutal attack on its own, and you need to recover quickly enough to land an attack before the assassin vanishes.

You can't target them while they are invisible, so getting a lock with a spell is impossible, and they have the ability to stealth away from you if things look bad, so they're hard to knock down unless you're capable of a 1-shot.

So, what im looking for are tips to battling stealthed foes. They're the trickier of the new classes, and I want to perform better should the assassin cross paths with me again!
Post edited by Seiowan - Harshlands on

Comments

• CornHilario - Heavens Tear
    CornHilario - Heavens Tear Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    uuh they should unstealth after the first attack? just making sure. havent fought one yet. not that im looking forward to being snuck up on by one while im grinding >.>

Edit: oh right, they can re-stealth maybe once per enemy encounter.
    One corn to rule them all and in the darkness cream them

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MS paint ftw. Disclaimer: my suit is actually gray, not black.

♥: The best f♥♥king censor ever. Always remember to show
    love to eachother on the forum even when you are cussing eachother out.
  • Kalee - Lost City
    Kalee - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Well normally when i am up against a stealthed assassin and most of the time u would, I would basically run/fly around like a headless chicken and eventually they follow u and have no more mp left to stay in stealth anymore. Also if they tele to u, best idea if u a wizard use the skill which allows u to leap back. But clerics should prob use plume shield as soon as they realize the assassin is coming towards them. I dunno bout the other classes but melee types should move around and stun as soon as possible. Ranged classes prob be best to keep moving around, so if there is a chance for them to tele towards u, u have that 1 second to move to a bit of range. Also prob not a good idea to fight them on the ground, they have the speed increase skill which could outrun u if u dont have holypath b:thanks
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    uuh they should unstealth after the first attack? just making sure. havent fought one yet. not that im looking forward to being snuck up on by one while im grinding >.>

Edit: oh right, they can re-stealth maybe once per enemy encounter.

ya they can restealth after
    xD they has 1 out of combat stealth and one force stealth skill.
    Well normally when i am up against a stealthed assassin and most of the time u would, I would basically run/fly around like a headless chicken and eventually they follow u and have no more mp left to stay in stealth anymore. Also if they tele to u, best idea if u a wizard use the skill which allows u to leap back. But clerics should prob use plume shield as soon as they realize the assassin is coming towards them. I dunno bout the other classes but melee types should move around and stun as soon as possible. Ranged classes prob be best to keep moving around, so if there is a chance for them to tele towards u, u have that 1 second to move to a bit of range. Also prob not a good idea to fight them on the ground, they have the speed increase skill which could outrun u if u dont have holypath b:thanks

:<
    but they STUN/seal/disable as soon as they appear.
    b:surrender

me has a few ideas on how to fight them. (which me won't reveal)
    and um if they really wanted you dead...and you were aoeing they has a interrupt channeling dagger toss.
    so...just walk up visible, then dagger toss, normal invis, attack, force invis, repeat.
    X_X'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Absolute domain on genie to live through the first attacks + massive dmg than fly up when the anti stun from the genie skill ticks in. Once in air you can also drop down for 50% dmg reduction if they go stealth than tries to gank u.

Any class thats mele and fast as hell with multiple stuns should be fought in air lol. Just like a fist/claw BM. Not that i would ever try to fight a 99+ assassin im pretty sure they would just smash me 1v1. Their attacks are so fast and the skills do so much dmg even at low lvls than all the stuns and seals b:shocked

There are 60 sec pots you can make in Raging Tides that prevents assassins from using stealth on you. It works really good, ive used them in cube on 8X sins lol. Sadly if they're same lvl as you it doesn't work so those pots are actually pretty pointless endgame.
  • TurismoX - Lost City
    TurismoX - Lost City Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    In Hamstas little combo, he said you walk up visible, not stealthed, so yeah.
  • _Ghoul_ - Lost City
    _Ghoul_ - Lost City Posts: 973 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    b:laugh me knew how 2 counter sin lvs. DONT help them LV LOL b:angry this way they will not get that high and if u see a 9x something sin WC his name and tell all ppl to KOS him b:laugh
  • Quizenbort - Dreamweaver
    Quizenbort - Dreamweaver Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    use badge of courage to break stun.. hit a sutra orb.. stun them and kill
  • GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary
    GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    my BM friend and I was just shootin out ideas abt this question few days ago and we thought, when the sin goes stealth y not target someting close buy and then do a aeo attack?? guessin it should hit every target within ur attack range

mind u i have not tried this yet but just puttin an idea out thereb:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BIackTyphoon - Heavens Tear
    BIackTyphoon - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    sins will stealth nearly all the time in pvp. thats the way they can survive so why not use it. goin ouf of mana? impossible trust me, with charm even less. following yeah but we have teleport sun so no prob either. and we have another stun skill right after that (don't forget we can get about 4 sparks in total in just few sec with our skills which in themselves hit damn good) so in the end no sin would be stupid enough to go unstealthed in a pvp match....i won't mention all the buffs and debuffs we have.(ofc pretty chi heavy but we have it anyway) so yeah genie is ur best friend and even that is not guaranteed cause a sin won't tell u when he attacks for sure and u know ur reaction time + ping can get annoying sometimes)

p.s don't try to flame me because i'm on a pve server. k i don'T have much exp but these are just assumptions anyway(kinda)
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i wonder if there is an aoe genie skill that can be cast without a target knocking every **** around you out of stealth...b:shutup
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss
  • Xtasy - Raging Tide
    Xtasy - Raging Tide Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    ur a wiz right ~_~ seal and 2hit his ****
  • AmrothSokaro - Harshlands
    AmrothSokaro - Harshlands Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    In all honesty, vs a Cleric, Wiz, Psychic and Veno, if an Assassin is the same level as them and he's stealthed, it's pretty rare they will survive that attack. We come out of stealth usually with Puncture Wound, Tackling Slash so they wont run and by the time we do Slipstream, they are dead already. But, if a Wiz, Psychic, Cleric in the other hand happens to spot the Assassin first, they really have a chance, just try to kill him before he stealths, or else your screwed.

The above doesnt apply to Light Armored casters, they might survive that stealth attack, but that would heavily depend on the sin's daggers.

And if you still cant kill him, call a Barb, they are annoying.
    edited January 2010
    ur a wiz right ~_~ seal and 2hit his ****
    and how? we can stun, sleep, paralyse. so our first attack would be one of those to give us time to unleash a damn good attack which will not allow the wiz to react^^
    edited January 2010
    can anyone check if genie aoes knock em out of stealth?
    b:chuckle
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Whiteleo - Lost City
    Whiteleo - Lost City Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    sins are OP man, they has lots of sleep/stun/seal and
    check out that skill
    Deaden NervesAvoid one attack that would kill you within the next two minutes.
    Recovers 20% HP upon avoiding death.

wtf with that skill, my blade tempest and Ice dragon are greantee one short to every 6x 7x now but i just can't one short them.
    79 and 100 skills are haven't out yet but i guess they gonna be b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    whiteleo
    me has a really good anti assassin plan lool
    we just stand there within skill range of each other....
    as soon as an assassin attacks the one being attacked just pops a tranq orb or something
    and the other can just sutra combo his **** lol....
    b:chuckle

they really do drop pretty fast.
    xD
    but they hit hard and can go invisible.
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Whiteleo - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    as soon as an assassin attacks the one being attacked just pops a tranq orb
    where can i buy that orb and how much? and can we use that while we got stun?
    they really do drop pretty fast.
    ahh true, i just can't one short them >.<
    but they hit hard and can go invisible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    where can i buy that orb and how much? and can we use that while we got stun?

ahh true, i just can't one short them >.<

tranquilizing orb = apothecary pot that gives 8 sec immunity to damage but it be like a self stun. (can't move or attack during the 8 seconds)
    um.....don't think you can use it during stun but (me pm the alternative to you since it involves part of me ebil plan in progress.)
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Whiteleo - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    (me pm the alternative to you since it involves part of me ebil plan in progress.)

lol ok, us wizzy need to more cooperate each other b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BIackMagic - Heavens Tear
    BIackMagic - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    didnt wanna read thru all the posts so my bad if someone already posted this. But i just use expel. I make sure i have nothing targetted when i know the assassin is around and once it unstealths and hits me, i expel it so it cant do anything...then pew pew magic damage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RATT_FINK - Harshlands
    RATT_FINK - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    ive got a 66 sin growin so let me tell you some things that annoy me when im pkin. and a few things that people think helps but doesnt.

when im fighting an arkane...well, i havent lost a fight to an arkane yet. not even 10 lvls over my head b:laugh thats mainly becasue by the time they know im there, they are dead. i can one shot them usually but if i cant they are stunned and dead before they get a chance to do anything. NOW with that said. what can we do about that? well genies can be used while stunned. so i advise you to come up with some clever genie counter if you can.

as to that run around untill they unstealth comment...lol i think its fun when they try that. it only costs 15 mana a sec to stay stealthed and i cand be stealthed all day. its actually quite fun to follow them because they jump around and run in cirlces for about 3 minutes and they they stop and think "what the hell am i doing? hes probly not even here any more" *drop* (im very patient, ill wait all day)

some good things to know about your enemy:
    sins have 2 stuns, 1 sleep, 1 silence, and 1 immobalize. all the chi in the world. and once they start the battle they can only stealth once every 3 minutes.

so id say, if your mindin your own business and get attacked out of nowhere. try and break free with a genie and stun them back and heal. if they diss apear again. then walk around for about 5 seconds....then sit still for 5 seconds...then move around again...and keep doing that untill they unstealth. becasue when you stop. ill be buffing right next to you for 3-4 seconds as soon as i get next to you. no if you start running after my buffs it pisses me off becasue im wasting my buffs and not fighting. sins have very short lasting buffs.

take it or leave it
  • Jittery - Lost City
    Jittery - Lost City Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    well tbh if your squishy then any sin that comes up on you is almost always goign to kill you. as for non-squishys, like me, sin attack hurt but it is survivable if you know what you doing in pvp. Im HA and i can tank 8x sin dmg till i finally target them. and lets face it, what sin has in offence they severely lack in defense, i mean i put nix bleed on a 8x sin with 4 sock beaut hp shards +5 hh80 gold LA and it ticks their charm and then some. and thats bleed all by itself. so pretty much it all boils down to that moment they sneak up on you-if you live you have a decent chance of penetrating their sry defenses if not.....well hopefully you saw them first. oh-and for you squishys-make pvp pots, it helps^^b:victoryb:victory

as for dealing with them when you know they are there but cant see them, this is what i do and it wrks out just fine-although this is class specific. i simply fly in circles leaving enough room between me andmy nix. when the assassin stuns either me or my nix one of us is stil free to do dmg. after assassin stuns and starts attacking he comes out of invisibility pretty fast and thats when they usually die in about 5-10 seconds after wards if they are charmed. oh and one more thing i fogot.....all those interesting buffs they have dont matter against a veno....pro-debuffer right hur pplb:laugh
  • /Groovy/ - Harshlands
    /Groovy/ - Harshlands Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    and how? we can stun, sleep, paralyse. so our first attack would be one of those to give us time to unleash a damn good attack which will not allow the wiz to react^^

You assume that wizard will fight 1vs1 b:surrender
    Packs World International
    edited January 2010
    You assume that wizard will fight 1vs1
    now that u mention it...yeah i assumed 1v1....guess i was wrong -.-
    what sin has in offence they severely lack in defense
    yeah our deffense is almost no existant -.-
    so pretty much it all boils down to that moment they sneak up on you
    assassin...we can't fight for long thats it....fast and deadly...thats why we have all the debuffs/buffs etc. not meant agaisnt bms/barbs. we're here to kill the clerics and archers and wizzis in the rear who support the bms in the main battle(kinda like that)
  • TurismoX - Lost City
    TurismoX - Lost City Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I'm not high level or anything, but I can safely say I've had no problems with any arcane classes and Archers are an easy kill as well.

That said, I always stealth and attack, I don't just rush into the enemy, so I always get first attack.

Blademasters and Barbarians are incredibly tough foes as an Assassin though, as we really don't have much that can penetrate their armour and HP.

I've actually made a Barbarian and am currently levelling it, just because it seems to me like they might actually be a better class for PVP at later levels, they seem to always be hard to take down.

Which is exactly what I'm after.
  • RATT_FINK - Harshlands
    RATT_FINK - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    yes heavy armors are a bit of a problem. but so far ive been takin down barbs and BMs my lvl and a bit higher with out all that much trouble. but i know near end game barbs get very tough skin. and if the BM isnt a complete tard, they will have balance. but there are ways around every obsticle b:victory
    edited January 2010
    didnt wanna read thru all the posts so my bad if someone already posted this. But i just use expel. I make sure i have nothing targetted when i know the assassin is around and once it unstealths and hits me, i expel it so it cant do anything...then pew pew magic damage

wait whut?
    expel works on enemy targets?
    b:puzzled
    me thought it only works on "friendly" targets.
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Inabikari - Raging Tide
    Inabikari - Raging Tide Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i wonder if there is an aoe genie skill that can be cast without a target knocking every **** around you out of stealth...b:shutup

Bramble rage is a genie skill. 7 earth and wood. If it crits at high levels, it kills EVERYTHING! :D
    RIP Resolve. You guys still owe me TW pay. XD

Varden- <3 you all!
  • DrkLordZ - Sanctuary
    DrkLordZ - Sanctuary Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    get on a mount, and tell them to go a f themselves. jk. fly cuz attacks are weaker, so when he finds you, he wont do much. once he attacks, stun. drop to the ground the finish him.
    Please donate money into my mailbox :)

I'm poor as heck.
  • alopex09
    alopex09 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    ok im a sin and ive played veno on the malaysian server for almost 2 years so i know pvp classes and sins arent THAT godly if you have your char equipped well that is a sin cant kill a skilled bm since against bm and barbs a sin relies on dps barbs arent hard if you equip the sin well and bms are almost impossibe to beat with a sin if they have a charm and know how to use their stuns right i still think a veno is number 1 in pvp class but im coming from a fox obsessed bias opinion ^^ still if i was you guys id be afraid of the psy class ive seen an decentequipped 8xpsy 2 shot a lvl 9x bm now thats scary