edited January 2010 in Venomancer
Whats the best build for a melee veno?
Post edited by Ix - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You should have asked this in the veno section... where Spoons will doubtless move it once he gets to work and sees it.

I'm a caster veno, so I'm not sure, but probably vit-arcane or light armor.

Oh, and saying "I'm too lazy to read the guide" won't enamor you to anyone. So, if you want to see what a vit-arcane or light armor build is, read the guide(s).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Ix - Raging Tide
    Ix - Raging Tide Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You should have asked this in the veno section... where Spoons will doubtless move it once he gets to work and sees it.

I'm a caster veno, so I'm not sure, but probably vit-arcane or light armor.

Oh, and saying "I'm too lazy to read the guide" won't enamor you to anyone. So, if you want to see what a vit-arcane or light armor build is, read the guide(s).

oh. .sorry i didn't realize. .hehe
  • Super_Trout - Dreamweaver
    Super_Trout - Dreamweaver Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    By "melee veno" I assume you mean a Heavy fox veno.

5str, 1dex, 6mag every 2 levels...and yes, that is 6 points per level, when you only get 5.

Get gear with +str or +mag and good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Melee veno as in..?

Because I really see people thinking HA/AA (Magic Wep. Fox) is the same as HA (Melee) >.<

Maybe a HA Fox or a HA Melee Wep.?
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm a fist veno, and pure dex in later levels aside from base str I recommend.
    But from 1-90 Mostly dex, with the occasional stam point.
    If you don't want to restat later though stay dex.
    And for heavy armor I have no idea cause I haven't gone there. b:victory
  • LingBanamu - Sanctuary
    LingBanamu - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

This.

And this. If you don't want to read a guide when there are 3 venomancer build guides readily available, I'm going to tell you to go read them. They are located here, in case you didn't know where to find them. They all present more than enough information for you to decide on which armor to use and tons of other useful information pertaining from which skills to use to the best pet to pick for your build and play-style.

If the information wasn't available, I would say that it is okay to ask. But, the information is available; people have taken the time to write out detailed guides for people who want to know the information, so use that information.

-Ling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TrIstlan - Heavens Tear
    TrIstlan - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My veno alt is HA.

Here is what works for me:

Level: 76

Vit: 52 (10 from equip)
    Mag: 64 (0 from equip)
    Str: 257 (35 from equip)
    Dex: 77 (10 from equip)

(All #'s below are without buffs)

Those stats give me: 2957 HP and 2568 mana. This includes some citrine gems to up the HP.

My equip is a little under level not because I can't wear higher levels but because I've been resistant to losing 55 points of attributes...

My Phys Res in regular form is: 5635 and in fox form is: 10531

My Mag res's are: Metal 1909, Wood 1888, Water 2222, Fire 2508 and Earth, 1492 coming from my standard equip resistances as well as gems.

Currently my melee weapon is TT70 Thunderbolt Axes, +3, with two Flaweless Garnet shards (+25 each to Phys Atk) giving me a phys atk of 3886.

My current magic weapon is FB19 weapon with 2 common sapphire shards (+12 mag attake) giving me a mag atk of 776. This is the highest level magic weapon I can wield.

I hotkey my weapons so that i can switch between magic and melee quickly mostly to heal my pet when needed.

My pet is a magmite, level 76 and it takes about 5 heals to heal him from "HP running low" all the way up. I can attack most mobs and heal sufficiently with my pet but attacking most bosses my magic cannot keep up with the heals. Mostly I attack with my axes and let my pet tank switching to heal when necessary and then back to attacking.

My magic attack does around 1000 per hit on mobs my level... My melee does 1400 - 2100 per hit. Combined with my pet hits of around 1500-1700 per hit, I can do about 6-8k of non-crit damage in the same time it takes to case 1 spell. My crits are usually 4-5k.

My crit rate is currently 7% (was 8% until i gave up some dex in an equip change just today).

I am almost always DD and not tank in instances though I can tank most phys mobs up to my level. I can take a lot of PHYS bosses with a good cleric. Mag bosses are still troublesome even though I have quite a few flawless sapphires in my armor.

To compliment my build... My pet has: Bash, Sandblow, Tough and Pierce..

My genie is level 76 with the following skills:

Holy Path level 10 (speed to max for 6 seconds)
    Relentless Courage level 6 (Increase my attack and movement speed by 5% +1% per genie str for 6 seconds)
    Hollow Fist level 7 (Phys and metal damage + bleed + reduce target phys def by 20% equip value)
    Leaf Dance (increase crit rate 2% for 60 seconds + 1 second for every strength)

My genie has 76 strength, I'll let you do the math on the genie skills...

Overall my build seems to work well as a DD... works ok as tank.

I can do the public quest very well. I can attack and kill all the mobs and elite mobs... When at the 2 bosses, i send my pet to attack and i assist with ranged shots. Typically I use a bow. My dex allows me to wield a level 22 bow... but it's a fire and forget weapon. Just keeps firing while my pet does most of the damage... Rarely do I take aggro because there are usually archers and hercs to hold it away from my pet.

That being said... I almost always finish in the top 5, regularly in the top 3, frequently in the top 2 and finishing first isn't impossible.

I have talked to HA venos that no longer use a pet. I don't know why not... If they are going to tank or DD ... letting someone else hold aggro... your pet can DD too.

This is my build. Feel free to tear it apart or use it or some derivative.

***EDIT***

Some notes I forgot:

Keep in mind that being buffed does wonders for this build.

I double spark at all possible moments along with my pet skills pierce (reduce phys def of target) and my genie's relentless courage. Buffed along with this combination, it is VERY easy to steal aggro on mobs and bosses.

A crit rate of 9-10% makes up quite a bit on damage giving the lower damage amounts.

Keep in mind there are no melee skill in veno form... only in fox form...

I rarely have to level magic skills because i really don't use them.

Fox form is nearly useless except on AOE mobs. The damage is based on mag atk and i dont have much of that... Fox form works well because I can use skills such as Leech which "steals" HP from the target and heals you. 20 levels ago I could attack Farren, Rankor and Wyvern in fox form and not require pots or heals for HP thanks to leech.
  • Plicid - Heavens Tear
    Plicid - Heavens Tear Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I myself am not a Melee Veno, but I know alot about the Veno class in general. First off I am going to be a little harsh in 2 ways.

One Melee Veno will not be easy, and will not be the most efficent way to play a Veno. So be prepaired for a challenge. You get less HP per Vit than a BM or Barb. Though it is not without Merit. You can get much more Pdef Via Fox form.

Two Ignore anyone who tells you to use Axes, Fists, or anything that is not a magic weapon. if you are using anything that is not a magic weapon you cant use fox form or any skills. This will make you strictly worse than a BM or Barb aka a failure, and you should delete your char to re-roll a BM or Barb. without skills there is only point and click. Please don't be that Veno.

now for the fun part. For a melee Veno you will want to wear heavy armor. You will also want to use a magic weapon. you get 5 stat points per lvl and need more than that to do both...This means you will need to either wear armor/weapons with -%req or get equip that raises your stats, or some combination there of. You will have 0 points to put into Vitality for your first 90 lvls. This means refining equip and using Citrine shards to boost your HP. Your rings Neck, belt should have + to STR Dex or Magic(best if more than one) Also investing in a Tome to boost your stats will be well worth it.

and depending on what you need for your equip that is where you put your stats. Pet skills that are helpful are Pierce, and Roar. the 1st is to assist you in dealing damage, the 2nd is incase things get bad the pet can instantly pull agro while you recover.

Skills to level Leech, Befuddeling Mist, Stunning Blow(for archer mobs). Once again I reiterate. Use a magic weapon(swords and Patakas are generally best for melee dmg) because without it you can't go fox form, so that is 120% Pdef you lose out on in the end(150% if you go Sage) also Melee master will help make up for the damage you lose out on by putting points into magic(at lvl 92 if you go sage Melee master gives 200% bonus to Physical Damage.)
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My veno alt is HA.

Here is what works for me:

(All #'s below are without buffs)

Those stats give me: 2957 HP and 2568 mana. This includes some citrine gems to up the HP.

My equip is a little under level not because I can't wear higher levels but because I've been resistant to losing 55 points of attributes...

My Mag res's are: Metal 1909, Wood 1888, Water 2222, Fire 2508 and Earth, 1492 coming from my standard equip resistances as well as gems.

Currently my melee weapon is TT70 Thunderbolt Axes, +3, with two Flaweless Garnet shards (+25 each to Phys Atk) giving me a phys atk of 3886.

My current magic weapon is FB19 weapon with 2 common sapphire shards (+12 mag attake) giving me a mag atk of 776. This is the highest level magic weapon I can wield.

I hotkey my weapons so that i can switch between magic and melee quickly mostly to heal my pet when needed.

My pet is a magmite, level 76 and it takes about 5 heals to heal him from "HP running low" all the way up. I can attack most mobs and heal sufficiently with my pet but attacking most bosses my magic cannot keep up with the heals. Mostly I attack with my axes and let my pet tank switching to heal when necessary and then back to attacking.

My magic attack does around 1000 per hit on mobs my level... My melee does 1400 - 2100 per hit. Combined with my pet hits of around 1500-1700 per hit, I can do about 6-8k of non-crit damage in the same time it takes to case 1 spell. My crits are usually 4-5k.

My crit rate is currently 7% (was 8% until i gave up some dex in an equip change just today).

I am almost always DD and not tank in instances though I can tank most phys mobs up to my level. I can take a lot of PHYS bosses with a good cleric. Mag bosses are still troublesome even though I have quite a few flawless sapphires in my armor.

To compliment my build... My pet has: Bash, Sandblow, Tough and Pierce..

My genie is level 76 with the following skills:

Holy Path level 10 (speed to max for 6 seconds)
    Relentless Courage level 6 (Increase my attack and movement speed by 5% +1% per genie str for 6 seconds)
    Hollow Fist level 7 (Phys and metal damage + bleed + reduce target phys def by 20% equip value)
    Leaf Dance (increase crit rate 2% for 60 seconds + 1 second for every strength)

My genie has 76 strength, I'll let you do the math on the genie skills...

Overall my build seems to work well as a DD... works ok as tank.

I can do the public quest very well. I can attack and kill all the mobs and elite mobs... When at the 2 bosses, i send my pet to attack and i assist with ranged shots. Typically I use a bow. My dex allows me to wield a level 22 bow... but it's a fire and forget weapon. Just keeps firing while my pet does most of the damage... Rarely do I take aggro because there are usually archers and hercs to hold it away from my pet.

That being said... I almost always finish in the top 5, regularly in the top 3, frequently in the top 2 and finishing first isn't impossible.

I have talked to HA venos that no longer use a pet. I don't know why not... If they are going to tank or DD ... letting someone else hold aggro... your pet can DD too.

This is my build. Feel free to tear it apart or use it or some derivative.

***EDIT***

Some notes I forgot:

Keep in mind that being buffed does wonders for this build.

I double spark at all possible moments along with my pet skills pierce (reduce phys def of target) and my genie's relentless courage. Buffed along with this combination, it is VERY easy to steal aggro on mobs and bosses.

A crit rate of 9-10% makes up quite a bit on damage giving the lower damage amounts.

Keep in mind there are no melee skill in veno form... only in fox form...

I rarely have to level magic skills because i really don't use them.

Fox form is nearly useless except on AOE mobs. The damage is based on mag atk and i dont have much of that... Fox form works well because I can use skills such as Leech which "steals" HP from the target and heals you. 20 levels ago I could attack Farren, Rankor and Wyvern in fox form and not require pots or heals for HP thanks to leech.

If melee wep. is what you are going for then this is right on.b:victory

But if you mean mag wep. with heavy armor look in Rei's guide.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lol.. a melee veno.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

I take it this is close to your build for the purposes of gauging melee damage?

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=7d543b5a8a30b505

Phys attack is not 3886. It's 1952-3884, which is an average of 2918. Round it up to 2920 since yours was 2 points higher. Axes have an attack rate of 0.83/sec, so this works out to 2433 DPS.

I happened to take a screenshot of my heavy veno's stats at 77. I've reconstructed the build here, in fox form:

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=5d51afc175bbba65

I left out the citrine shards on the armor; suffice it to say I had about the same hp as you.

Weapon was a magic sword, Sakyamuni's Light, refined to +3 with two flawless garnets (same as your axes). In fox form, phys attack is 2077-2661, which is an average of 2369. However, the attack rate for a magic sword is 1.25/sec, so this translates into 2961 DPS, which is 21.7% higher than your DPS with axes.

I actually had -0.05 interval sleeves, which I didn't factor into the above. Faster weapons benefit more from -attack interval. With the sleeves, your build would go to 2539 DPS. My build would go to 3159 DPS, 24.4% higher.

Venos in fox form get a huge bonus to physical attack. So they can achieve all this without having to swap weapons or gimping magic attack. Just use a magic sword (you cannot go into fox form with axes equipped). True, having to gather the +stat gear was a pain. But if you look at my build, I think you'll see that none of the +stat gear is outlandishly rare, and there's plenty of room for improvement on the hat and armor. You just have to check AH every day for a few weeks.

The only way it makes sense for a veno to use axes (instead of a magic weapon) is if you do what Kittennice does - leave your mag and vit at near minimum, dex at minimum for weapon, and crank your str up as high as you can. The str multiplier on weapon damage then makes axe melee damage superior to a heavy fox veno using a magic sword.

If you don't do that, your heavy axe veno ends up doing less damage than a heavy fox veno using a magic sword. I'm sorry if this comes across a little harsh, but I really want to steer people away from making the mistake you did. Either go with a heavy veno using a magic weapon like Reikara and I did. Or forget about mag and vit and pump up your str as much as you can, and use axes like Kittennice did. Here's your build again with mag and vit reduced to 5, and dex reduced to 43 (requirement for L77 heavy armor), and all those extra stat points put into str:

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=b6c9f8372a7652bc

Phys attack is now 2433-4840, or an average 3636.5. At 0.83 atk/sec, that works out to 3030 DPS, which is 2.3% better than my heavy fox veno. Get more +str stat gear and you can increase that even more.
    edited January 2010
    Options

Phys attack is not 3886. It's 1952-3884, which is an average of 2918. Round it up to 2920 since yours was 2 points higher. Axes have an attack rate of 0.83/sec, so this works out to 2433 DPS.

I happened to take a screenshot of my heavy veno's stats at 77. I've reconstructed the build here, in fox form:

I left out the citrine shards on the armor; suffice it to say I had about the same hp as you.

Weapon was a magic sword, Sakyamuni's Light, refined to +3 with two flawless garnets (same as your axes). In fox form, phys attack is 2077-2661, which is an average of 2369. However, the attack rate for a magic sword is 1.25/sec, so this translates into 2961 DPS, which is 21.7% higher than your DPS with axes.

I actually had -0.05 interval sleeves, which I didn't factor into the above. Faster weapons benefit more from -attack interval. With the sleeves, your build would go to 2539 DPS. My build would go to 3159 DPS, 24.4% higher.

Venos in fox form get a huge bonus to physical attack. So they can achieve all this without having to swap weapons or gimping magic attack. Just use a magic sword (you cannot go into fox form with axes equipped). True, having to gather the +stat gear was a pain. But if you look at my build, I think you'll see that none of the +stat gear is outlandishly rare, and there's plenty of room for improvement on the hat and armor. You just have to check AH every day for a few weeks.

The only way it makes sense for a veno to use axes (instead of a magic weapon) is if you do what Kittennice does - leave your mag and vit at near minimum, dex at minimum for weapon, and crank your str up as high as you can. The str multiplier on weapon damage then makes axe melee damage superior to a heavy fox veno using a magic sword.

If you don't do that, your heavy axe veno ends up doing less damage than a heavy fox veno using a magic sword. I'm sorry if this comes across a little harsh, but I really want to steer people away from making the mistake you did. Either go with a heavy veno using a magic weapon like Reikara and I did. Or forget about mag and vit and pump up your str as much as you can, and use axes like Kittennice did. Here's your build again with mag and vit reduced to 5, and dex reduced to 43 (requirement for L77 heavy armor), and all those extra stat points put into str:

Phys attack is now 2433-4840, or an average 3636.5. At 0.83 atk/sec, that works out to 3030 DPS, which is 2.3% better than my heavy fox veno. Get more +str stat gear and you can increase that even more.

No no no no no. It's stupid to leave vit low if you're tanking. I do have high-dex, high vit, and high str. The high dex gives me extra crits and I have interval gear on to help the attk speed =^^=

Without my gear on I'm sitting at 3k+ health which isn't bad if it wants to shatter on me. Vit helps in the long run.
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Due to the influx of misplaced threads, all threads will be moved to their correct section or locked. We appreciate your understanding b:victory
  • TrIstlan - Heavens Tear
    TrIstlan - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

Agreed but i think you've left out consideration of my pet doing damage. In strict DD mode, my pet does 1/4 more damage equalling it out a bit... I have considered redoing my stats... but unsure where I would want to go... mag, heavy with mag... we'll see.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Agreed but i think you've left out consideration of my pet doing damage. In strict DD mode, my pet does 1/4 more damage equalling it out a bit... I have considered redoing my stats... but unsure where I would want to go... mag, heavy with mag... we'll see.
    But they're both venos, so they'll both have pets.

I haven't hit 89 yet so I haven't run the numbers yet with Sage melee mastery. But looking at how close they are with level 10 melee mastery, I'm doubtful an axe veno can ever do the melee damage of a sage heavy fox veno. The melee mastery bonus goes from 120% at level 10 to 200% with Sage. That's a huge jump.

Your build makes more sense at lower levels, when melee mastery doesn't add as much bonus damage. So I wouldn't classify it as a "fail" build - there is a level range when it will do more melee damage than a heavy fox veno. But melee mastery ramps up pretty quickly with level.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    well melee mastery doesnt do anything if you are not fox form. having axes, doesnt matter if you are sage or demon. btw, demon also get a little boost... from 120% to 150%
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    kenlee wrote: »
    well melee mastery doesnt do anything if you are not fox form. having axes, doesnt matter if you are sage or demon. btw, demon also get a little boost... from 120% to 150%
    melee mastery only applies to fox form and to switch to fox you must either be unarmed or use a magic weapon.

another thing to consider is that fox form boosts phys resistances and accuracy. you'll need accuracy to hit melee, like any barb, bm, archer or sin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm a fist veno, and pure dex in later levels aside from base str I recommend.
    But from 1-90 Mostly dex, with the occasional stam point.
    If you don't want to restat later though stay dex.
    And for heavy armor I have no idea cause I haven't gone there. b:victory

LOLWUT?

i think kittennice should write a sperate guide for pure melee venos, cause for the most part i seen it as a BM with a tail, and a wider selection of non-attacking pets (because of the lack of heals). If you want to be a pure melee class, roll a BM and just be sad that you don't have a tail.

pure dex veno with minimum str (not heavy) makes me lawl harder than "heavy fist wizard" well, not really, but its close.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]