Are wizards control skills enough?

Options
Taarloor - Harshlands
Taarloor - Harshlands Posts: 472 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Wizard
Do you honestly think the wizard class has good enough control skills?

Yes or No vote, elaborate in text on why you think the way you do would be appreciated.
Post edited by Taarloor - Harshlands on

Comments

• MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Me suppose no.
    we only has two reliable CC in PvP, FoW and SW. (but they disappear rather quickly and have a pretty long cool down time....well at least the cooldown for SW be a bit too long)
    :<
    and knockback (WoTP) doesn't work in PvP.
    b:surrender

but although our slow be decent...but slow doesn't really help much in PvP.
    X_X'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Me suppose no.
    we only has two reliable CC in PvP, FoW and SW. (but they disappear rather quickly and have a pretty long cool down time....well at least the cooldown for SW be a bit too long)
    :<
    and knockback (WoTP) doesn't work in PvP.
    b:surrender

but although our slow be decent...but slow doesn't really help much in PvP.
    X_X'
    Well, it did before genies came out.

Now everyone just holy paths out of it.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magikrap - Lost City
    Magikrap - Lost City Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    wizards dont have many control skills
    but you have enough
    wiz has crazy damage coming down in one hit from big range
    wiz shouldnt QQ
    you guys are OP
    wiz is the best pvp class in the game (not considering tborns yet (too early))
    the whole we are weak early game argument is dead
    triple BH and CS = fast leveling so early game kinda doesnt last long
    and honestly leveling a wiz aint hard at all
  • ShadowDrag - Lost City
    ShadowDrag - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    No, it used to be enough because before, gush slow works amazing, now with genis i'd say its not really enough anymore, only 2 that work well in pvp are seal and sleep. (and hell hailstorm if you have it). seal, i have no complaints about, but really? sleep with a 2 minute cool down?b:surrender
    wizards dont have many control skills
    but you have enough
    wiz has crazy damage coming down in one hit from big range
    wiz shouldnt QQ
    you guys are OP
    wiz is the best pvp class in the game (not considering tborns yet (too early))
    the whole we are weak early game argument is dead
    triple BH and CS = fast leveling so early game kinda doesnt last long
    and honestly leveling a wiz aint hard at all

Do you have a wiz, and what lv, endgame wizards still are not that OPed unless you cashshop, which not all of us do
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I say yes, I have hell hailstorm and hell stone rain (obviously), stone rain is nice in pve and hailstorm becomes really reliable, very fun to use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Seal was already enough control for me. Once I got sleep I felt really OP in 1v1's.

I honestly would love to have a more reliable skill to stop movement though, sleep range is too short. If I had one though I don't think it'd be fair at all and people would massive QQ and me pwning them.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Yes and no... depends what you're trying to do. As a wizard you can't really kill anyone that isn't below your level if they're trying to run, they'll generally make it to safezone unless you accelerate after them and pray you can oneshot them.

But yeah in 1v1's, Sleep and seal are enough really... if you know how to kite and have a good feel of how much damage you can take and you can respond FAST if they crit/zerk/etc you shouldn't have that much problems taking people out alone.

But ya the second you get ganked as a wizard you're useless without pvp pots, won't be able to get a decent hit off. You get interrupted so easily by seals, stuns, anything. Classes like veno's, barbs, BMs, clerics can all take 2+ targets more easily than you because of a pet, stuns, sleep, etc.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    Miss_Tika - Lost City Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Seal was already enough control for me. Once I got sleep I felt really OP in 1v1's.

I honestly would love to have a more reliable skill to stop movement though, sleep range is too short. If I had one though I don't think it'd be fair at all and people would massive QQ and me pwning them.

Exactly

~

The only real "movement control" Mages have though is Hell Hailstorm, which has a 50% chance of Freeze for 3 seconds. Hell Pitfall doesn't work in the air... I think? I don't know. If it does someone correct me!

Anyway I hate playing mage sometimes because its hard to kill a moving target. Whenever i play my veno im like... omg, I can stun, every 12 seconds, freeze, and stun again....

QQ Mage needs a more reliable stun/freezeb:sad
  • Reminissions - Sanctuary
    Reminissions - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Pitfall works in the air, tested and approved. Hell Pitfall too, since it's what I use;
    I do love Pitfall/Hailstorm in TW. When those bigs cats with wooden thingies run to keep, it's useful to slow them down while your friend come to help. (That if you survive.)
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I say yes, I have hell hailstorm and hell stone rain (obviously), stone rain is nice in pve and hailstorm becomes really reliable, very fun to use.

grats on demon. is hailstorm 89? i thought it was 92? hmmm i might have to get the sage version.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    grats on demon. is hailstorm 89? i thought it was 92? hmmm i might have to get the sage version.

Thank you very much:) Its 89 indeed, but the extra damage is meh.. so I dont know how much the sage version adds to your game play for those few million coins and 1 million spirit...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Paimage - Harshlands
    Paimage - Harshlands Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Even though Im not 9x yet I feel like if wizards had more control skills then they do ppl would call em OP cuz of the massive dmg we have already, but sometimes I do feel like wizards should have at least one reliable control skill. Prob not a new skill would do it but if the chances of pitafall nd hailstorm to freeze were higher it would b great :D
  • BrownflameZ - Lost City
    BrownflameZ - Lost City Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Genie control skills ftw?
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Genie control skills ftw?

So? That's totally irrelevant to the thread. Every class can use genie skills, that has nothing to do with if wizards have enough controll skills compared to other classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Of course not. Try to use these skills against 99+ BM. Except FoW are useless. Even shrink is nothing against the BM sprint. And If you are locked you are death. And you will be locked for sure.
    I really don't know how to fight against high lv. BM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Of course not. Try to use these skills against 99+ BM. Except FoW are useless. Even shrink is nothing against the BM sprint. And If you are locked you are death. And you will be locked for sure.

Anti stun pots/genie skills?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Options

kill the BM while he be busy with another target? (preferably a physical attacking class so that his physical marrow is on.)
    =p
    b:laugh
    loool
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Anti stun pots/genie skills?

Anti stuns pot last just 20s maximum and then 2 min. nothing And you have no chance to kill him in 20s for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Options
    kill the BM while he be busy with another target? (preferably a physical attacking class so that his physical marrow is on.)
    =p
    b:laugh
    loool

And if you are his target.b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Options
    And if you are his target.b:laugh

Run!
    Run NOW!
    b:shocked
    holy path, shrink, sutra teleport!
    b:chuckle
    loooool~
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Run!
    Run NOW!
    b:shocked
    holy path, shrink, sutra teleport!
    b:chuckle
    loooool~

But I want win not run away. Example. Cube. There is 1 totally high moron BM which killed me 5x time in cube. But with my new gear, he had it a lot harder yesterday. First time I tick his charm. I'm going better and better.b:laugh At lv. 100 I kick his ****. He forced me spend huge real money to the game, just because I WANT and I WILL kill him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BMs don't scare me a lot... I kited one of the biggest cash shopping BMs in my server around in the water near village of naught for over half an hour, I was 98 so couldn't kill him with my lv10 dragon and +6 hh90, but he couldn't kill me either with +12 gx... I did have BM buffs but still.

BMs aren't that hard to take out at 99+ as long as you can:
    - Avoid being stunlocked to death completely, IE you need to be able to take a few hits
    - Don't get caught while in the air by Heaven's flame -> True Emptiness, 'cause you will probably die if it zerks/crits

And hell now that I'm 99+, if all else fails, 51-65% HP -> Sleep -> Ice Dragon. If they let marrow run out they're screwed regardless if sleep isn't on cooldown.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BMs don't scare me a lot... I kited one of the biggest cash shopping BMs in my server around in the water near village of naught for over half an hour, I was 98 so couldn't kill him with my lv10 dragon and +6 hh90, but he couldn't kill me either with +12 gx... I did have BM buffs but still.

BMs aren't that hard to take out at 99+ as long as you can:
    - Avoid being stunlocked to death completely, IE you need to be able to take a few hits
    - Don't get caught while in the air by Heaven's flame -> True Emptiness, 'cause you will probably die if it zerks/crits

And hell now that I'm 99+, if all else fails, 51-65% HP -> Sleep -> Ice Dragon. If they let marrow run out they're screwed regardless if sleep isn't on cooldown.

Ty much. I have to train against them. Good advices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Wizards have a little amount of control skills because if they did they would be unstoppable. That's why demon is so tempting.. nice amount of control but it's all chance, so I wouldn't even consider it control - more like a bonus. If that 20% stun procs tho.. GG. But with the chi generation you get with sage a sutra or ulti doesn't need control, just proper timing. I think I'll be fairyless for a bit till I experience more 9x pvp to see what I think I need :x
  • BrownflameZ - Lost City
    BrownflameZ - Lost City Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    So? That's totally irrelevant to the thread. Every class can use genie skills, that has nothing to do with if wizards have enough controll skills compared to other classes.

It's a viable substitude for our lacking in control skill, expecially for sage mages. If effects procs, you get enough time to take the kill, or run. So, it's not the end of the world if other classes have more innate control skills, we still hit harder then them.