Hi, I'm new to this game, and can't figure out how to save my progress.

Options
waxdimension
waxdimension Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
It's just as the subject line states; I've been playing this game for a few short hours, and cannot figure out how to save my progress. I'm too afraid to exit the game and hope it saved my progress automatically. I don't generally play MMOs, so a little help would be much appreciated. :)
Post edited by waxdimension on

Comments

• FootStep - Sanctuary
    FootStep - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You don't have to save. Just exit and when you log back in, you're where you left off. :)
  • RedxDevil - Raging Tide
    RedxDevil - Raging Tide Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's just as the subject line states; I've been playing this game for a few short hours, and cannot figure out how to save my progress. I'm too afraid to exit the game and hope it saved my progress automatically. I don't generally play MMOs, so a little help would be much appreciated. :)

when u log out or exit the game it saves automatically. hope i helped
  • waxdimension
    waxdimension Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    when u log out or exit the game it saves automatically. hope i helped

Thanks *so* much! :)
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Better than that, since it's online all of your character info is tied to your account, so you can install the game anywhere and play your characters!

Welcome to the world of MMOs, I hope you enjoy yourself.

Allow me to offer a word of advice, if you choose to heed it:

-Remember to play in moderation, games that don't have a definite end can be very hard to walk away from.
    -Don't trust people in the game, unfortunately since you don't know them in real life some people get their kicks from trying to scam others. Think of it kinda like the wild west.
    -Find a friendly guild, and get some friends to run around with, good guildmates can help to guide you through any aspects of the game that you are not familiar with.

Welcome againb:victory
  • Iseria - Harshlands
    Iseria - Harshlands Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    yup, welcome to Online gaming.

as eatwithspoons said, play with moderation taking a break every hour or so cause its very easy to get viciated to itb:shocked

about saving, ill like to add that the progress is automatically saved in the server, so that if you get disconected or power goes out, you dont have to worry, when you relog youll be at the place where you disconected.

have a nice game =)
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Thanks for making my day. :D

As an online game, things continually happen, even when you're logged out. Nothing stops for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BIackTyphoon - Heavens Tear
    BIackTyphoon - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ahh i remember when i first played an MMO....had the same issue...damn was i shocked when i logged off and forgot to "save".....realized later that it was all for nothing....^^
  • Solartide - Sanctuary
    Solartide - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hit Ctrl+S everytime before you leave the game

Err on the side of caution
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This game is to a certain extent like how you progress in real life. When you do an action, its done, cant go back. You level (like aging) you can not rewind the clock, ever. There's no "**** i died on last boss" *hit reset*. No experimenting because you can go back without consequence (in other words if you die, you will need a rez or loss of Exp). Thats not to say you cant experiment, i just mean know your cost & take precautions. Every step you take is saved. This aspect was a bit worrying when i jumped from console RPGs to online MMORPGs, but you get completely used to it.

Oh and never listen to anyone who tells you that Alt+F4 = save game.
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This game is to a certain extent like how you progress in real life. When you do an action, its done, cant go back. You level (like aging) you can not rewind the clock, ever. There's no "**** i died on last boss" *hit reset*. No experimenting because you can go back without consequence (in other words if you die, you will need a rez or loss of Exp). Thats not to say you cant experiment, i just mean know your cost & take precautions. Every step you take is saved. This aspect was a bit worrying when i jumped from console RPGs to online MMORPGs, but you get completely used to it.

Addendum to that last point: Never believe someone that says alt+f4 does anything special. I haven't seen anyone trying to trick people with that one yet, but that doesn't mean it never happens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • Nolifepanda - Raging Tide
    Nolifepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Better than that, since it's online all of your character info is tied to your account, so you can install the game anywhere and play your characters!

Welcome to the world of MMOs, I hope you enjoy yourself.

Allow me to offer a word of advice, if you choose to heed it:

-Remember to play in moderation, games that don't have a definite end can be very hard to walk away from.
    -Don't trust people in the game, unfortunately since you don't know them in real life some people get their kicks from trying to scam others. Think of it kinda like the wild west.
    -Find a friendly guild, and get some friends to run around with, good guildmates can help to guide you through any aspects of the game that you are not familiar with.

Welcome againb:victory

Its true that this game is addicting, there is absolutely no doubt about that. I wish I had a life but living in the zoo is hard so I prefer to play games and just wait for food that is thrown to my small and lonely cageb:sad
  • Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lolwut b:shocked
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrazoThePsy - Dreamweaver
    DrazoThePsy - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Better yet: Should your client crash or you get disconnected, the server will still save your latest progress. Only in the very rare situations when the server crashes then it might have to 'roll back', but hardly more than several minutes before it did. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver
    Hemoglobin - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

ROFlMFAO!!!! b:chuckleb:chuckleb:laughb:laugh
  • Solartide - Sanctuary
    Solartide - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Actually not knowing it saves automatically isn't all that odd. I was babysitting some 10-12 year old boys during the holidays, (Hey, tell ---- to babysit, he doesn't drink alcohol anyway!) and they were playing this hella lame game. (Random musing: Wonder what the obscenity rules are on the forum, what words can't I say?) So I was like, hey guys, that game is like hella lame. I can show you way better mmos to play. They declined, but then like an hour later the computer froze, and the kid shouts, "****! I didn't save!"

So yeah, apparently some MMOS require you to save.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ROFlMFAO!!!! b:chuckleb:chuckleb:laughb:laugh

That's kinda.....sad. :/

A little easily amused, aren't we?
  • AlanWake - Harshlands
    AlanWake - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    blaaaaa. . . totally double posted
  • AlanWake - Harshlands
    AlanWake - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

so. . . what your saying is, if I die in real life I will re spawn in the nearest city b:shocked
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Addendum to that last point: Never believe someone that says alt+f4 does anything special. I haven't seen anyone trying to trick people with that one yet, but that doesn't mean it never happens.
    it does do something special, it closes your game lol
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    b:kiss Now I don't pretend to know what its like for a mac but at least on windows no matter what the version alt + f4 does not close your game instead it minimizes it into the taskbar's tray which is helpful at times pw sure made that part moron proof. However on such a occasion that you do decide to bring the game back up click it ONCE and only ONCE for the love of god don't double click it your game will freeze sometimes even your computer for some reason if you get frustrated and click it more then two times. However you can have that in the bottom tray all day and it will never crash. b:surrender at least it has never crashed down there for me. I don't know if it takes up less processing but alt f4 is pretty stupid on a game that only minimizes it. b:laugh I freaked out when I first did it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tasle
    tasle Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    really... have you tested your alt+f4 theory on multiple microsoft computers?

alt+tab minimizes and alt+f4 closes. this is microsoft hotkeys if you will, and any user should know them well.

also if your game is freezing or disconnecting when you try to bring it back up from the tray, then it is most likely a problem with either your computers processor, RAM, or video card, or a combination of the 3.... however it is most likely the RAM.
  • Satiah - Heavens Tear
    Satiah - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    tasle wrote: »

alt+tab minimizes and alt+f4 closes. this is microsoft hotkeys if you will, and any user should know them well.

alt+tab doesn't minimize, it switches between active programmes b:victory
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    OP's question has long since been answered. Closing this for being Off-Topic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.