Beastial Onslaught

Axelire - Heavens Tear
Axelire - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Barbarian
I was reading the Barbarian guide that is stickied. I noticed that Beastial Onslaught as one of the recommended skills for grinding in Humanoid form.

I'm wondering how necessary that skill is considering once Penetrate Armor hits (even after the reduced physical defence debuff wears off) every hit thereafter lands. At least this is my experience with normal mobs.

Does Beast Onslaught add additional damage, or it just means less misses?

I'm tight on spirits, so just working out a priority list.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Axelire - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• PandaXpresss - Harshlands
    PandaXpresss - Harshlands Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Penetrate armor doesn't make things easier to hit, that would just be your good luck.

Beastial onslaught is good because it reduces evasion and it is your only ranged attack till later levels. It's also one of your strongest single target hits. It does not, however, allow you to hit harder.

Beastial Onslaught is one of my more favorite moves right next to mighty swing. I don't really use penetrate armor a lot cept on bosses where I have ample time to get chi.
  • Bardolph - Harshlands
    Bardolph - Harshlands Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Theoretically it should add to you DPS; you miss less so you hit more obviously. The effect on mobs is probably very low, but it should definitely work when you're DDing on a boss (most likely in your own fb's) so the entire team benefits from it. Bread-and-butter for PvPing against dex-built classes.
  • Axelire - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Penetrate armor doesn't make things easier to hit, that would just be your good luck.

Beastial onslaught is good because it reduces evasion and it is your only ranged attack till later levels. It's also one of your strongest single target hits. It does not, however, allow you to hit harder.

Beastial Onslaught is one of my more favorite moves right next to mighty swing. I don't really use penetrate armor a lot cept on bosses where I have ample time to get chi.

I beg to differ, I watch 95% of my fights with normal mobs. Once Penetrate Armor hits, accuracy becomes 100% on the affected mob even after the physical defence debuff wears off.

I've always wondered if this was a glitch, as I've experienced the same phenomenon on my Venomancer when I use Ironwood Scarab followed by physical attacks in Fox Form.

Although I had no idea Beastial Onslaught is a ranged attacked, I guess that can be useful.

Theoretically it should add to you DPS; you miss less so you hit more obviously. The effect on mobs is probably very low, but it should definitely work when you're DDing on a boss (most likely in your own fb's) so the entire team benefits from it. Bread-and-butter for PvPing against dex-built classes.

What I was trying to ask is whether it increases overall DPS as apart from the effect of landing more hits. It just seems to me that Penetrate Armor does a better job on that front.

I think I'll put off getting it till I have some spare spirits laying around.

Thanks for all the input guys and girls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fenian_I - Dreamweaver
    Fenian_I - Dreamweaver Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Well, it's been a few months since I've played my barb, but... correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think penetrate armour is AoE (even if it IS glitched in the accuracy, which I have never noticed, personally). Onslaught is an AoE evasion debuff which helps with slam, swell, etc...

The best thing about it, though, is the uber dmg it does. There is no doubt about the fact that it is one of your hardest hitting skills available.

Also, I must agree with Bardolph. In pvp it is definately your bread and butter. 2 misty rings and lvl 10 beastial onslaught has been known to kill archers very quickly ;)
  • Axelire - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Well, it's been a few months since I've played my barb, but... correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think penetrate armour is AoE (even if it IS glitched in the accuracy, which I have never noticed, personally). Onslaught is an AoE evasion debuff which helps with slam, swell, etc...

The best thing about it, though, is the uber dmg it does. There is no doubt about the fact that it is one of your hardest hitting skills available.

Also, I must agree with Bardolph. In pvp it is definately your bread and butter. 2 misty rings and lvl 10 beastial onslaught has been known to kill archers very quickly ;)

I'm suprised no one has noticed it/experienced it. I'm sure I'm not seeing things.

So BO is good for AoE grind and PvP. Okay got it. Now I just need more spirits. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    defence reduction doesnt affect ur chances to hit (that is accuracy)

and i havent notice any difference in accuracy after Penetrate Armor lands

i have a lil low accuracy, but i dont miss much in PVE up till now

lucky u btw

for Bestial Onslaught:

the only thing that bothers me of this awesome skill is that the EVASION DEBUFF is not an AoE

i havent the opportunity to try it

but i think it was told by some old barb, that is NOT AoE debuff but just TARGET DEBUFF

b:worried
    b:irritated
    b:cry
    b:cold
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Fito - Lost City
    Fito - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    defence reduction doesnt affect ur chances to hit (that is accuracy)

and i havent notice any difference in accuracy after Penetrate Armor lands

i have a lil low accuracy, but i dont miss much in PVE up till now

lucky u btw

for Bestial Onslaught:

the only thing that bothers me of this awesome skill is that the EVASION DEBUFF is not an AoE

i havent the opportunity to try it

but i think it was told by some old barb, that is NOT AoE debuff but just TARGET DEBUFF

b:worried
    b:irritated
    b:cry
    b:cold

it is Aoe Debuff. range is very short thou
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    it is Aoe Debuff. range is very short thou

nice b:victory

thank you for the confirm b:thanks

to understand better the AoE debuff range:

is it around the target u hit with onslaught (rage not mention in description) ?

or

is it like the hit range 12 meter at level 10 around you ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Fito - Lost City
    Fito - Lost City Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2010

is it around the target u hit with onslaught (rage not mention in description) ?

or

its affecting the players around the target u hit
  • Fenian_I - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010

or

Every AoE is always around the target. Even skills like slam. The reason it looks like it's around you is because you have to run right up to the target before you can use it.
  • Lulznotwar - Lost City
    Lulznotwar - Lost City Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The Evasion decrease is target only, its not an AoE, the old skill description was wrong and when they updated to the new expansion they changed the description

would be cool if it was an AoE debuff but meh its not so oh well
    RIP spoons
    RIP PWI
    The game is dead
  • Bardolph - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    Not being an AoE means it doesn't aggro other mobs (talking PvE here).
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The Evasion decrease is target only, its not an AoE, the old skill description was wrong and when they updated to the new expansion they changed the description

It's an AoE debuff.
    Belligero
  • Fenian_I - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010

unless they've also changed the skill, it is an AoE debuff. They could have changed the skill at the same time they changed the description, however. I haven't played in a few months now, but try this. Round up 3 melee mobs and run away so they all follow you. Their natural tendency is to run almost the exact same path, so this will bring all 3 of them really close together. Use onslaught on the middle mob, then click on one of the mobs right beside him. You'll see that he has the evasion debuff as well. That is, as I said, unless they also changed this skill in my absence.

Btw, please believe that I am not mistaken. About 90% of my grinding with my barb was AoE grinding and I have seen this debuff more times than I can count.
  • PandaXpresss - Harshlands
    PandaXpresss - Harshlands Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Ok I've been trying to work this out. Getting mobs to get right on top of each other then using beastial onslaught. And I still can't get the debuff to be aoe. Has anyone been able to get the aoe debuff recently? Or did they really take it out.
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Ok I've been trying to work this out. Getting mobs to get right on top of each other then using beastial onslaught. And I still can't get the debuff to be aoe. Has anyone been able to get the aoe debuff recently? Or did they really take it out.

Wait a second... I've been testing it too, and it's not working. b:cry
    Belligero
  • Lulznotwar - Lost City
    Lulznotwar - Lost City Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    unless they've also changed the skill, it is an AoE debuff. They could have changed the skill at the same time they changed the description, however. I haven't played in a few months now, but try this. Round up 3 melee mobs and run away so they all follow you. Their natural tendency is to run almost the exact same path, so this will bring all 3 of them really close together. Use onslaught on the middle mob, then click on one of the mobs right beside him. You'll see that he has the evasion debuff as well. That is, as I said, unless they also changed this skill in my absence.

Btw, please believe that I am not mistaken. About 90% of my grinding with my barb was AoE grinding and I have seen this debuff more times than I can count.

Uhm. since i have been playing my barb, before and after the Expansion (around 2 months total) i have not noticed the AoE effect working at all, the old description as i said was wrong, hence why they changed it in the expansion.

I made this thread before the expansion came out:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=542661
    RIP spoons
    RIP PWI
    The game is dead
  • Fenian_I - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    I have not played since October and I have not really done any really hardcore AoE grinding since prolly late august or early september. Back then, it was definately an AoE debuff. That thread that you made a link to was from december, but there's still a few months in that time where it could have been changed. I have not played other versions of pw, but it's possible that the change occured on another one first (PW-MY or something) and the code changed here at the same time, without the description changing. I do definately believe it is not currently AoE, though, since a few of you have tested and gotten bad results.
  • Feral_Wrath - Lost City
    Feral_Wrath - Lost City Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The Sage and Demon versions of this skill are INCREDIBLE.

Sage version has an extended channeling time, but NEVER misses. I am a pure vitality sage barb, and of course am plagued with low accuracy. But bloodbath combined with a guaranteed 50% reduction in evasion works wonders. Just as good as it sounds.

And the demon version...b:shocked...35% increase to critical hit...enough said.
  • Wolfgore - Heavens Tear
    Wolfgore - Heavens Tear Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The Sage and Demon versions of this skill are INCREDIBLE.

Sage version has an extended channeling time, but NEVER misses. I am a pure vitality sage barb, and of course am plagued with low accuracy. But bloodbath combined with a guaranteed 50% reduction in evasion works wonders. Just as good as it sounds.

And the demon version...b:shocked...35% increase to critical hit...enough said.

<----Demon Barb.

After Beastial i got more than 50% to land a critical Armageddon

Beastial Onslaught FTWWWWW b:infuriated
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feroxine - Lost City
    Feroxine - Lost City Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Beastial Onslaught is easily one of my favourite humanoid skills (I really must begin levelling it up more!). Primarily due to the fact it's ranged and hits relatively hard.
  • Bardolph - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    Lol I still got it at level 1 tbh. It costs 60k spirit to level it to lvl2. There are other skills that I could level up two to three times with that amount.