I do a research :>

Options
aiyaninjou
aiyaninjou Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Off-Topic Discussion
HI all!
Not a lots of player know that I am working on my final thesis for my school. The theme what I have choosed is the ~marketing communication of MMORPG's~. I have now a lot of base work from internet, but I decided to make an own research, and I start it here (hope its not problem), and hope lot of you will answer... more answer better overview :>

So, I am interested on when did you started to play with your first MMORPG, and what motivated you to start playing. example, friend told about it, or did you found an interesting advertisement, or video on youtube...etc

Thank you for all the answers

b:cute
Post edited by aiyaninjou on

Comments

• SupaRoyalty - Lost City
    SupaRoyalty - Lost City Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Year 2000 maybe?[removed]! Free servers! I pwned with harm... and flame strike!
  • Vorsar - Heavens Tear
    Vorsar - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    2008 June[removed] b:victory, a friend told me about it.b:bye
    Proud to be a part of BaLTai b:cool
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Does [removed] count? If so, 2001. My brother was playing it so I did too. I think he got into it after surfing the web?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Silvychar - Sanctuary
    Silvychar - Sanctuary Posts: 3,576 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ~2005/2006[removed] , some guys from school asked me if I wanted to play with them... also WC 3 inspired me to play it^^
  • Catsnap - Heavens Tear
    Catsnap - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    2006 [removed]which I found through google -abandoned it cause of TOOOO high prices in cash items and the game kind of depended on that only -.- soo... I got to PWI :D b:victory
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Um guys? Mentioning other MMORPGs by name is against the rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Moved to Offtopic. Note that the OP did not ask WHAT MMO, just when.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aiyaninjou
    edited January 2010
    Options
    thanks for moving it to the right Topic :)
    and Yes, question is only when and why :)

And thank you for all the answers!!!
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    When? 2005.

Why? A cousin of mine, along with my brother-in-law, had gotten into another MMO. I gave in, they dropped later on, and I've been playing for 4 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    Ixiel - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Does [removed] even count as an MMORPG?

I mean, being stuck in 1996 graphics and audio for 13 years and having an entire zone dedicated to e-perversion in a game where virtually all you do is /afk in the middle of nowhere on 20 accounts named after anime characters with an avatar image and pixelated character you spent 80$ on is so much more BA than [removed]
    If it does count, then 2003, and because my friend told me to and I was just a confused child who didn't know the huge mistake I was making and how [removed] would ruin my future and turn me into an alcoholic deadbeat who sits alone in a fursuit on a crate of old newspapers while I play [removed] on my Windows 98 and listen to Prince's "When Doves Cry" on my Sony Walkman tape player with a bottle of old cheese whiz as my only companion.

Where was I going with this?

If Furc does not count, then I guess the first real MMO would be 2007, and because my ex told me to.
    A B and C, abandoned but controlled.
    M can't you see? Half of me was sold.
    X Y and Z, Xerox your zombies then
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • TurboWolf - Harshlands
    TurboWolf - Harshlands Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My first MMORPG was [removed], some years ago... but I just played on a new character sharing account with my brother... didn't get to understand the game, was too bad performance due to my poopy computer so I quit before really getting to play it b:surrender

Then I wanted ta spend some time playing videogames with two e-friends, which both had terrible computers, so I started downloading those which said they needed low specs. We tried like 5 different games and noone would work. They gave up, but I wanted to try out a MMORPG so I stick with this one.

Also, this was last summer.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Why are people still listing the other game they played? He/she never asked that......b:surrender

Anyways....

Started first one in January of 2009 and was recommended by a friend. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    about 2005 0.o...

for pwi i saw a add lol..

for others i just went there cuz of friends...

now im somewhere else ;O
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nehru - Heavens Tear
    Nehru - Heavens Tear Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    The first time I played an MMO was in 1999. A friend wanted me to play it and let me make a character on his account to try the game with.
    "It is said that whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. In fact, whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first hand the equivilant of a stick with a fizzing fuse and ACME Dynamite Company written on the side. It's more interesting, and doesn't take so long."
    - Terry Pratchett
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Discussion of other online games is not permitted here. I would have thought folks knew that by now.
  • aiyaninjou
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I just wanted to ask about motivations,
    I don't use anyway for my research (and I don't asked) what games.
    Hopefully a discussion about motivations is allowed and I can get more answers.
    Thank you, and thank you for players for these answers <3
    b:cute
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I think it was sometime is '05 or '06, forgot which one exactly. But it was just because I saw the box in the store and thought it looked interesting, so I picked up a copy when it came out. Stuck with said unmentioned game for a few years, but it just kinda petered out for me after awhile. Probably still have my chars on it, if I could remember the login info b:chuckle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • aiyaninjou
    edited January 2010
    Options
    nice :) thank you the answers :>
    guys, I will finish my research at end of January, so If you have a lil time write an answer pls :>
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    My first game ever online besides the apps on my iPhone or Facebook goes to...

b:cute Perfect World International Inc.!

LOL been playing it since June because I was so annoyed by the advertisements that I just had to see if it was bad.... Or good b:chuckle

b:laugh Been totally obsessed since! Its literally part of my routine now rofl, serious. I'll be doing homework while flying on auto-path, I'll be running on a treadmill while listening to music and playing.. (I heard thats illegal in California omg >.<), and other stuff! :D

Rofl hahahaha, just worried about what will happen when sport season comes for me.... >___> Less time, more forums I bet LOL.
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I started in 2005 mainly. IT was a free MMO with very bad graphics but at the time it was really popular and it was really fun until you finished all the quests (you had to pay to have access to the other half of the world, but it wasnt totally imbalanced because the p2p people had their own servers).

I started to play because alot of my friends were playing it. At first I was like nah cbb but then I actually started to play lol.

From 2005-2010 Ive played something like 6 different MMORPGs. Perfect world is the only MMORPG that ive stuck with for over a year. (except for cod4)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • aiyaninjou
    edited January 2010
    Options
    thy your answer too b:thanks
  • Sheeeba - Dreamweaver
    Sheeeba - Dreamweaver Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    um...let's see...i guess it's been about 3 years since i started playing MMO's. my college buddies and i started playing one which was also free like PWI, but it had kinda childish looking graphics and we got bored with it pretty fast. so we tried some of the other games by the same developers, then about a year ago, we finally found PWI, and we've been here ever since. i absolutely love this game, and after a year, i'm still not bored with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

::venos kick tail::

Sheeeba: 8x Venomancer, Hate2Love
    ClericNico: 7x Cleric(Mainly Support), Hate2Love Executor
    _Poe_: 6x Barbarian, Einherjar

"You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    early 1980's shortly after I got my first computer and logged onto my first BBS.

~S
  • VashtaNerada - Dreamweaver
    VashtaNerada - Dreamweaver Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    If you mean 3d graphics MMOs, then it's been since September of last year. If apps on Myspace count as MMOs in your eyes then it's been approximately 3 years. Apps I got into out of curiosity, but the 3d MMO I got into thanks to the influence of a friend.
    - The Gaming Gearhead

My hero:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sheeeba - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Vashta, ur sig makes me wanna hop on ninjavideo and watch some top gear.

The Stig FTW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."
  • VashtaNerada - Dreamweaver
    VashtaNerada - Dreamweaver Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Vashta, ur sig makes me wanna hop on ninjavideo and watch some top gear.

The Stig FTW!

~S

Nothing like a tame racing driver to brighten up your day, huh?

"Some say he could annihilate the Daleks, Dr Who and the Cyberman, if he could be bothered. And that his tongue can strip the paint off a Porsche in 30 seconds." -source Wikipedia

To the OP: How many responses are you looking to get for enough data?
    - The Gaming Gearhead

My hero:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    First game...I played a browser based MMO that no longer exists in about 2003, but first REAL MMO was in 2007. My friend made me play it, and the rest, as they say, is history b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Sheeeba - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Nothing like a tame racing driver to brighten up your day, huh?

"Some say he could annihilate the Daleks, Dr Who and the Cyberman, if he could be bothered. And that his tongue can strip the paint off a Porsche in 30 seconds." -source Wikipedia

Some say he can solo Sword Tamer...with his pinky. And that a TT 3-3 takes him 30 seconds.

~source: me b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• TsukiTenshi - Sanctuary
    TsukiTenshi - Sanctuary Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I started in 2005 mainly. IT was a free MMO with very bad graphics but at the time it was really popular and it was really fun until you finished all the quests (you had to pay to have access to the other half of the world, but it wasnt totally imbalanced because the p2p people had their own servers).

I'm pretty sure my 1st mmo was the same as this persons :D
    From the description it sure sounds like it

Why I played?
    Well When I was in 5th grade I was in an advanced math class and then a lot of people in that class started playing and was talking about. Stuff like killing dragons and stuff~

When I asked what it was they were like -BLANK- but is too violent for you.. and that I should just stick to -BLANK-.

My curiosity made me go look it up
    Spoons is a very nice GM b:cute