Roleplaying? ^^

eonall
eonall Posts: 41 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
I'd just like to know what this game's stance on roleplay will be as I'm quite an avid roleplayer myself and I'd like to know what this game has to offer in that way.

Will there be RP servers where you are forced to roleplay when speaking aloud or will I be constantly hounded by "ZOMFG RP SUX0Rz11111" if I try to RP?

What with all the character customisation and nice features this seems like a really good game for this sort of thing yet I haven't heard much about it. ='[
Post edited by eonall on

Comments

• ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Well, I've never really heard a roleplayer...
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • eonall
    edited July 2008
    Heard a roleplayer or heard of one?

That's a shame if you've never seen RP in this game, it'd be a really good game for it. =O
  • ark
    edited July 2008
    I've heard of Roleplayers... but I haven't heard one in PW... In fact, I've only heard a Roleplayer once. It's kinda weird talking to them.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • eonall
    edited July 2008
    Well generally in MMOs if you PM someone then it's fine to speak OOC (out of character) but you must stay IC (in character) in all the public channels (for instance /say in WoW or whatever other MMO you've played).

So of course if you don't like roleplay or are no good at it you can just say like "I'm sort of busy Human..." or similar and PM them with "sorry, don't like RP".

Some people find that a problem it's a shame to say, they prefer to shout "HAX!!!1111" in /say...

If you find it weird RPing with someone you don't have to is all I'm saying ^^
  • aer
    aer Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I doubt that there will be a RP-dedicated Server on PW, I just don't thing that the userbase is big enough for that. Even though, I have to say that the environment, storyline and stuff really gives a good background for roleplaying. Could try that when the servers open.
  • eonall
    edited July 2008
    I guess we could promote that as a general rule as far as we possibly could. I mean, it doesn't hurt anyone. =]

I suppose people that really had the gold could open RP guilds which would be an excellent idea. I've joined them on other MMOs and they've been great. It really helps you get to know the people better =D
  • ark
    edited July 2008
    eonall wrote: »
    Well generally in MMOs if you PM someone then it's fine to speak OOC (out of character) but you must stay IC (in character) in all the public channels (for instance /say in WoW or whatever other MMO you've played).

So of course if you don't like roleplay or are no good at it you can just say like "I'm sort of busy Human..." or similar and PM them with "sorry, don't like RP".

Some people find that a problem it's a shame to say, they prefer to shout "HAX!!!1111" in /say...

If you find it weird RPing with someone you don't have to is all I'm saying ^^

Yeah, I know. I wasn't making any more of a point than talking to one is kinda awkward. RP if ya want - but you might get a dozen funny looks when ya do...
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • eonall
    edited July 2008
    Awkward in what way? If you PM them I'm sure they'll respond in real life terms and you can speak to them properly. I think one of the reasons people "dislike" roleplayers is that they just find it a hard or awkward concept to understand (not you imparticular, just generally).

Ehh, I'll keep roleplaying and if anyone says anything in /say I'll just PM them with "I roleplay. Problem?" =P
  • king
    king Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    ark wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. I wasn't making any more of a point than talking to one is kinda awkward. RP if ya want - but you might get a dozen funny looks when ya do...

Yep, mby even a bakers dozen.:eek:

I dont think you'll find a huge RP community on here, but you're free to do what you want.
  • ark
    edited July 2008
    I dunno. It just sounds weird when someone says to you before you get PKd, "I shall banish you to the depths of Hell, pathetic Human!". Seriously.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • eonall
    edited July 2008
    The person who said that to you was probably five years old. PKing and RP shouldn't be mixed. They're both great things separately but it just takes away from your skills in the fight if you stop to type random stuff like that o.O

EDIT: Also, please don't be one of those people that assumes everyone roleplayer talks in shakespearian english -.-
  • ark
    edited July 2008
    I wholeheartedly agree lol. :D
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    They're both great things separately but it just takes away from your skills in the fight if you stop to type random stuff like that o.O
    *starts typing: raises his sword to...* Oh, i'm dead. T_T
    :p
    EDIT: Also, please don't be one of those people that assumes everyone roleplayer talks in shakespearian english -.-
    LOL i was about to type that. xD I used to play on some german RP pservers but stopped it cause it's not my mother language and i couldn't adapt myself to the way they spoke - an archaic type of german. And since english is my 3rd language (xD) i was moreso afraid of trying to RP in english not wanting to make TeH Hardcore RPers angry :p
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eonall
    edited July 2008
    It's not bad, people just shouldn't assume every roleplayer will do it. Anyhow it's not bad language that makes us angry, it's "ZOMFG HAX" "BRB" and "LOL FUNNIEZ!1" than make us angry. Speaking OOC is bad, using abbreviations like that is just... almost a sin xD
  • aer
    aer Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Well, to be honest, I got my share of Roleplaying on a non-rp Server in Ragnarok Online and yeah... most people thought we'd be kinda strange. In the end nobody cared though =)
  • sphinx
    sphinx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    oh god i love to roleplay. if its done right with a good group of people it can be so fun:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I like the idea of having a role playing server. Unfortunately, the PW-MY version didn't have much role playing going on. Most people seemed to expect it to never happen. Based on that, I don't think there will be a RP server. However, I still really like the idea. It would be neat to see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I'd just like to know what this game's stance on roleplay will be as I'm quite an avid roleplayer myself and I'd like to know what this game has to offer in that way.

Will there be RP servers where you are forced to roleplay when speaking aloud or will I be constantly hounded by "ZOMFG RP SUX0Rz11111" if I try to RP?

What with all the character customisation and nice features this seems like a really good game for this sort of thing yet I haven't heard much about it. ='[

No.

I'm sorry.

No.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    At one point in time my friends and I used to role play Ewoks. Anytime someone said anything to us, our response would be, "EWOK!" as we were too lazy to come up with a real language of any kind.

Roleplaying can definitely be fun, however we currently have no plans to have an RP specific server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I can just imagine someone trying to use a bunch of premade taunt macros for RP-PK.
    And it sounds hilarious...

Don't think this game has macros though, I can't remember. Probably thinking of L2.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • tolan
    tolan Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I don't expect there to be a specific server since there's not a large enoguh rper base to make it reasonable, but I think people should be open to RP. I RP from time to time, and very rarely have I ever done so in Shakespearian/Olde English. RP is simply playing a character; I know avid RPers who function in regular MMOs quite well, and even stay in character while in raids, because they allow limited use of abbreviations to call out things like targets and heal requests.

My point is, really, that RP is not some snobish cult club of which there are strict rules and regulations. It starts at character creation and then goes beyond it; you don't just make the character, you play them. The only universal rule, really, is to not use 1337 and do use the shift key.

If you want a good example of RP, check out Earth Eternal; it's a graphical MMO being developed by Sparkplay Media, which just spun off from Iron Realms Entertainment, which runs the best text MUDs on the planet. The starting playerbase of Earth Eternal is almost expected to be largely RPer or at least RP-friendly, and they're pretty sure there'll be designated RP servers at least by release, if not in beta.

-Tolan
    I'm a Christian looking for a clean experience in a free MMO. No, I'm not crazy.
  • bunny
    bunny Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I think RPing would be fun on this game. ^_^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    Whenever I rp it mostly ends up me rping as myself. Weird and silly I know ToT.

I'm somewhat moody though and have..I'd say different sides to my extensive characteristic aspects ;3
  • ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    t0yo wrote: »
    Whenever I rp it mostly ends up me rping as myself. Weird and silly I know ToT.

I'm somewhat moody though and have..I'd say different sides to my extensive characteristic aspects ;3
    Ultimately, don't most role playing situations come from within ourselves, anyway? :) Some consider acting to be an exploration of ourselves. Okay, I got that from Picard of Star Trek. So sue me. LMAO! :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • junk
    junk Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited July 2008
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    ragingwind wrote: »
    Ultimately, don't most role playing situations come from within ourselves, anyway? :) Some consider acting to be an exploration of ourselves. Okay, I got that from Picard of Star Trek. So sue me. LMAO! :p

Thats pretty desu :3
  • fadedmind
    fadedmind Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    I love to rp..
    actually i just want to start playing this game because it looks like a good game to play rp in
    forming an rp guild would be so nice .. i hope everyone here who likes to rp will get together in the game
  • sphinx
    sphinx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2008
    i guess only time will tell...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sweet_Chai - Dreamweaver
    Sweet_Chai - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    At least a handful of people on this thread have given a reminiscent 'ahhhh role playing..' That's enough to start at least something with. There's events that can be made, quests built into the system, plenty of creatures.. Just add a little story. If anyone is interested drop me a line. We can come up with something imaginative.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    What a necro. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]