Damage Mitigation questions

Options
dishboy
dishboy Posts: 3 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Psychic
What are the different methods of damage mitigation in this game and how do they work? And how do the damage mitigation abilities of psychics work?

How much total damage mitigation does a Barbarian have?

I'm asking this because I saw a wizard post something about psychics being a support class and if they put the stats right places, they wouldn't go down in PVP easily. And that gave me the idea that *MAYBE* if I put stats in the right places, this class could tank. but it's just a theory and I'm VERY new, so I would like more info so I could do my own research. To me, it would be awesome if this was possible because right now, the game only has one viable tanking class from what I can tell, and it may be underpopulated.

Please don't flame me for being a noob, it's just a crazy idea I had....
Post edited by dishboy on

Comments

• Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Psychics cannot tank, other than what wizards can, regardless of the build. You'd have to lose the damage output to hold aggro for the survivability and in no case will you have the hp+defense combo that a barb or a bm would.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • dishboy
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Okay thanks. Are BMs capable of tanking if specced properly or are barbarians the only ones with tanking capability?
  • Panthalassa - Dreamweaver
    Panthalassa - Dreamweaver Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    dishboy wrote: »
    Okay thanks. Are BMs capable of tanking if specced properly or are barbarians the only ones with tanking capability?

BMs are usually a back up tank until the Barb can get aggro back. This usually only happens if the Cleric fails and the Barb dies or an Archer or other DD steals aggro. Otherwise, BMs are DDs.
    Also Known As: Sora_Kaiyou

I got tired of my avatar not showing up. b:sad
  • PurpleBomber - Dreamweaver
    PurpleBomber - Dreamweaver Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Psychics cannot tank, other than what wizards can, regardless of the build. You'd have to lose the damage output to hold aggro for the survivability and in no case will you have the hp+defense combo that a barb or a bm would.

In a sense your correct and in a sense your not if white voodoo is lvl 7 or 8 thats more than enough for any psychic to tank. Yes you must think am crazy no im not NEITHER am not a LA build NEITHER a hybrid im pure.

Yes i know psy has VERY squishy hp but white voodoo makes up into bms for 30secs. A bm good def in some cases and hp, psychic on the other hand has a very low def and very low hp but with white voodoo changes all of that. I myself have proven this cause i tanked most of my bosses using this method yes u do hit low but psy has an array of skills just keep going through them for the 30sec variation.

While i was doing a fb29 for a friend we had no tank to take on qingzi but my lvl 50 psy was there so i tested it against him it worked really well in his first try which made me love psychics even more. I was dealing 1k.4 dmage on Qingzi with white voodoo buff, normally i hit like 4k and up with black voodoo. Qingzi was hitting 150-220 damage on me far reduced than wat he hit earlier without white voodoo, without white voodoo he hit like 400 with black voodoo on he hit like 500-600 and my hp at the time was 1.3k . SO i white voodoo and had the cleric healing me and i torrent and sand tomb and aqua spirit and sprint blast then repeat process, qingzi went down without much problems and we didn't need tank.

Now im not saying psychics could take over the duty of a barb, i'm just saying that there are some bosses psychics can handle without a barb.
    For 20-30 cadaver i personally soloed him, haggeist geezlot he may be a little too hard for u to solo alone so get a barb or a cleric and your set, Shade eido if you are able to reach him then you have no problem soloing him, charr the growling is cake i soloed him with a passion, farng i wouldnt recommend soloing unless you can find your self a cleric to heal u while your white voodoo then you have a shot, Flora feng PFFT! too easy, elder tortoise pfft! i soloed that yansheng has an aoe so i would not recommend it might be mising a few here

Well either way White voodoo is your friend when it comes to boss fights other than that it has no other use in pve( no i odnt use it when mobs gang cause they never reach me lol) so i would say level it it may come in handy one day
    Its like when you look into the eyes of a cute kitten or puppy it silently steals your soul.

But cmon THEY'RE CUTE!!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cute punchy kitty. Please don't punch me with your cuteness. >_<
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Actually, every single class can tank a boss if you have the hp to survive 2-3 hits of the boss. If you can survive 2-3 hits, the cleric can heal you to keep you alive.

The only reason a barb and a BM is better to tank, is cause they have more hp and phys def.
    And a BM is perfectly capable in tanking just as a barb is. The only real reason a barb is sometimes a better tank, is because barb's have aggro skil, so can keep aggro even if the other person deals more dmg (normaly, the one that deals the most dmg has the aggro, but aggro skils make sure the person using the skils have more aggro).
    Also, a barb naturally has abit more hp than a BM, so they'll have a slight advantage in tanking over BM in that part to.

A psy can be a fine tank for magic bosses, just as I tank water magic bosses on my own quests. Basicly, I always laugh at the people wanting to search for a barb for the boss I tank all the time.

In short, every class can tank some targets, but barb is able to tank almost all targets, while other classes can only tank some targets.

Regarding white vodoo. As a tank, you need to be able to keep aggro. Withouit aggro skils, as a psy you'll need to get this aggro by doing more dmg than your squad members. How do you expect to out dmg the other DD's in your squad with a white vodoo lvl 8 on?.
    You may not gain alot of dmg, you hardly do any dmg.

EDIT: don't put your stats so you might have a better chance to tank stuff. Psy is a DD/suport debuf class, we DD'ers are not meant to tank (able to do some of them, but not meant to usually). Best put your stats for max DD, so you can do your job properly (don't want to become a DD barb, cause of barb not able to do alot of dmg and cause of DD built not able to tank much)
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
    edited January 2010
    Options

Regarding white vodoo. As a tank, you need to be able to keep aggro. Withouit aggro skils, as a psy you'll need to get this aggro by doing more dmg than your squad members. How do you expect to out dmg the other DD's in your squad with a white vodoo lvl 8 on?.
    You may not gain alot of dmg, you hardly do any dmg.

EDIT: don't put your stats so you might have a better chance to tank stuff. Psy is a DD/suport debuf class, we DD'ers are not meant to tank (able to do some of them, but not meant to usually). Best put your stats for max DD, so you can do your job properly (don't want to become a DD barb, cause of barb not able to do alot of dmg and cause of DD built not able to tank much)

1. I'm a pure build psy so my damage is through the roof
    2. even with white voodoo at lvl 7 i still hit 1.4k worth of damage and qingzii did not go after the cleric the whole time.
    3. if i calculate the damage i was doing per 10 secs it would far more than wat any other class would--->white voodoo>Torrent>sandTomb>aqua spirit>spirit blast>landslide>white voodoo. Torrent and sand tomb quickly aggros any boss away from a bm or a barb cause your doing alot more damage then they are plus as soon as torrent cools down it can be cast again. This is why i learned never to use those skills if a barb is tanking cause you will aggro it, am not sure LA build will or hybrid(seriously doubt it). Those two skills they do alot of damage in the form of miniature hits over some seconds, which i have learnt i will never use until the barb brings his life down to half.
    4. im thinking of raising white voodoo some more but it may reduce my attack to some very low output so i will keep it at lvl 7 until hear wat people have to say.
    5. Like i said in number 1 im pure not a hybrid neither LA. Pure to me is the best option for anyone to go monsters HARDLY reach you, deal alot more damage in 30secs interval. So what were squishy if you don't like being squishy play the hybrid.

Pure = Hard Hitting Mother.....
    LA Build = semi hard hitting Mother b:shutup
    Hybrid = flimsy power output with flimsy hp not even worth calling your self a hard hitter...thats right you can't hit hard
    NO jimmy choose the right one The pure will set you free b:pleased, NOOOOOO, poor...... jimmy we will miss u brave soul! b:sad b:cry
    Its like when you look into the eyes of a cute kitten or puppy it silently steals your soul.

edited January 2010
    Options
    LMAO

I take it you didn't have any proper archers or wizzys in your squad?

A cleric using IH does never steal aggro, not even from a DDing barb.
    And there is no way in hell your ganna out DPS an archer, or even a wiz or BM with white vodoo, considering that 1,4k dmg is about what an archer deals per shot, and he shoots 2 times in the time you channel 1 skil.

Don't talk to a wizzy about high numbers, really. Hit a 26k hit without HF, and we'll continue that conversation.

Btw, just to tell you about white vodoo, at lvl 10 it recuses your attack lvl by 99. That's right, that means you only deal 1% of your normal dmg. Try to do your job as a DD with that
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    white voodoo is **** and does not = psy tank.

+90% of squat = squat.

that and the fact that your damage will be virtually nothing.

the only purpose white voodoo serves would be to allow you to take the hits that you cannot avoid while you run away from something.
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    white voodoo is **** and does not = psy tank.

+90% of squat = squat.

that and the fact that your damage will be virtually nothing.

the only purpose white voodoo serves would be to allow you to take the hits that you cannot avoid while you run away from something.

It also serves the purpose of reducing damage to leave aggro on the tank (I accidentally leveled it up to 2).

If you want White Voodoo to function for something other than running scared. DO NOT LEVEL IT!
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • Lusca - Sanctuary
    Lusca - Sanctuary Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    While i was doing a fb29 for a friend we had no tank to take on qingzi but my lvl 50 psy was there so i tested it against him it worked really well in his first try which made me love psychics even more. I was dealing 1k.4 dmage on Qingzi with white voodoo buff, normally i hit like 4k and up with black voodoo. Qingzi was hitting 150-220 damage on me far reduced than wat he hit earlier without white voodoo, without white voodoo he hit like 400 with black voodoo on he hit like 500-600 and my hp at the time was 1.3k . SO i white voodoo and had the cleric healing me and i torrent and sand tomb and aqua spirit and sprint blast then repeat process, qingzi went down without much problems and we didn't need tank.

qingzi uses magic attacks at range, so basically any arcane class can tank him with a cleric
    edited January 2010
    Options
    qingzi uses magic attacks at range, so basically any arcane class can tank him with a cleric

You call throwing a rock at you magic? one weird spell for it to be magic

• Lusca - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    You call throwing a rock at you magic? one weird spell for it to be magic

some mobs do it too, i thought it was physical too but when i use m def orns on my wizzie i take less damage than when i use physical ones lol
  • Swdgy - Heavens Tear
    Swdgy - Heavens Tear Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    1) Yes you can tank
    2) No you can't hold aggro with a tanking build
    3) White voodoo is for TW if DDing isn't a priority for you
    4) Any attack that requires casting is magic. (rocks floating in circles around qingzi = magic attack) Though I think there might be exeptions... some bosses cast things that do physical damage (drummer aoe?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] yay :) ^.^
    stuffed a bunch of my favorite animes into 1 signature lolz
  • dishboy
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone! I'm still thinking about which class to play.
  • zayonx
    zayonx Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    4) Any attack that requires casting is magic. (rocks floating in circles around qingzi = magic attack) Though I think there might be exeptions... some bosses cast things that do physical damage (drummer aoe?)

You are wrong, assassin has a lot of casting skills, and no one of them are magical attacks.
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    For 20-30 cadaver i personally soloed him, haggeist geezlot he may be a little too hard for u to solo alone so get a barb or a cleric and your set, Shade eido if you are able to reach him then you have no problem soloing him, charr the growling is cake i soloed him with a passion, farng i wouldnt recommend soloing unless you can find your self a cleric to heal u while your white voodoo then you have a shot, Flora feng PFFT! too easy, elder tortoise pfft! i soloed that yansheng has an aoe so i would not recommend it might be mising a few here

cadaver, haggish,Shade eido solo with every class with a bit kiteing : ) already done with cleric/wizz/archer (i dont listen the veno because its obvisoly until lv35 he solo every boss).

they are slow just need kiting.

yes charm is very easy with every class, fang for veno soloable and maybe bm/barb with pot.
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    In a sense your correct and in a sense your not if white voodoo is lvl 7 or 8 thats more than enough for any psychic to tank. Yes you must think am crazy no im not NEITHER am not a LA build NEITHER a hybrid im pure.

Yes i know psy has VERY squishy hp but white voodoo makes up into bms for 30secs. A bm good def in some cases and hp, psychic on the other hand has a very low def and very low hp but with white voodoo changes all of that. I myself have proven this cause i tanked most of my bosses using this method yes u do hit low but psy has an array of skills just keep going through them for the 30sec variation.

Now im not saying psychics could take over the duty of a barb, i'm just saying that there are some bosses psychics can handle without a barb.

Well either way White voodoo is your friend when it comes to boss fights other than that it has no other use in pve( no i odnt use it when mobs gang cause they never reach me lol) so i would say level it it may come in handy one day

You tanked Qingzi..grates...

But that's the same boss that Mages can tank with Stone Barrier.

Why don't you tank other Bosses like Kimsa, or Krimson?

I'm pretty sure you will die within a hit, with Maxed White voodoo onb:bye
  • Swdgy - Heavens Tear
    Swdgy - Heavens Tear Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    zayonx wrote: »
    You are wrong, assassin has a lot of casting skills, and no one of them are magical attacks.

lol no I was talking about mobs not players

btw my psychic soloed gouf the wolf thingy at level 51 so beat that you stupid quingzi tanker :O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] yay :) ^.^
    stuffed a bunch of my favorite animes into 1 signature lolz
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lol no I was talking about mobs not players

btw my psychic soloed gouf the wolf thingy at level 51 so beat that you stupid quingzi tanker :O

Want a cookie now for that glorious achievement?

I use qingzi as an example not to show off. People now a days shesh......anyways it was used an example that white voodoo is not ****, it maybe used for certain situations not pvp thats for sure.

• Lusca - Sanctuary
    edited January 2010
    Options
    what about a vit build psy with max white voodoo as a catapult puller

what you think?
  • Shadowvzs - Lost City
    Shadowvzs - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    what about a vit build psy with max white voodoo as a catapult puller

what you think?

weird ideea but idk if could be better than barb, barb got better speed too in tigerform.

i am curios how much dmg u got from a same lv archer/bm with maxed white voodoo at 90.

1 vit=10hp, right?

maybe u can earn 8k+ at ~90 with eq's and +hp stuffs.

(something sure, in pw my no since there have lv103 ea with 55 attack lv XD)
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's 15hp. If I unequip my +2vit gear, I lose 30hp.

SO yea it might help, but you'd have to build the psy specially for TW, and it'd be useless for normal play (same like heavy vitybuild wizzy's made to suicide with emberstorm)

I think a stealth assasin infront of a cata would be much more likely. I'd wonder how that would end up actually, not even being able to target the catapuller b:laugh
  • Fishtaco - Lost City
    Fishtaco - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's 15hp. If I unequip my +2vit gear, I lose 30hp.

SO yea it might help, but you'd have to build the psy specially for TW, and it'd be useless for normal play (same like heavy vitybuild wizzy's made to suicide with emberstorm)

I think a stealth assasin infront of a cata would be much more likely. I'd wonder how that would end up actually, not even being able to target the catapuller b:laugh

other assassins will see the catapulling assassins
    and they will break invis using shiruken and someone will proceed to oneshot the assassin
    OR
    psy aqua cannon does aoe damage and it doesnt need a target
    i reckon if assassin catapullers are there there will be psys at the gates waiting to use aqua cannon to break invis