Bash vs Roar?

Options
Esuna - Raging Tide
Esuna - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Venomancer
Which one is better? And motivations if possible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gotta love the cash shop idiots.
Post edited by Esuna - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Rebutia - Harshlands
    Rebutia - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    They are both good skills, but they also have different uses.

Bash builds threat, to help your pet keep aggro.

Roar takes aggro from whoever has it.

I have not tested enough to know for sure, but I believe roar will reset all threat and then add some threat. So, if my theory about how roar works is correct, roar is probably not the best skill to hold aggro during a boss fight. Bash would be better for that purpose.

However, if someone steals aggro from your pet, bash will not get it back, but roar will. So roar would be better for that purpose.
  • Vixre - Harshlands
    Vixre - Harshlands Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Roar just steals aggro once, it doesn't have any effects to hold that aggro, so if you lost your aggro once already, it'll only be a brief moment before whoever else stole your aggro steals it again. Kinda useless in the long run.

I'd suggest Bash to be better. Bash has a much shorter cool down, so you can leave it on auto-cast and spam it. Also lv5 Bash (if you pet gets to 80) should hold aggro sufficiently well. And if you can't hold aggro with bash, roar isn't going to do much better. Ideally you'll want a pet with high attack to have Bash, such as a herc, scorpian, or magmite (or the new Walkers).

You can get both if you want, leave bash on auto-cast and if you lose aggro once in a while, roar it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rebutia - Harshlands
    Rebutia - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Roar just steals aggro once, it doesn't have any effects to hold that aggro, so if you lost your aggro once already, it'll only be a brief moment before whoever else stole your aggro steals it again. Kinda useless in the long run.

I'd suggest Bash to be better. Bash has a much shorter cool down, so you can leave it on auto-cast and spam it. Also lv5 Bash (if you pet gets to 80) should hold aggro sufficiently well. And if you can't hold aggro with bash, roar isn't going to do much better. Ideally you'll want a pet with high attack to have Bash, such as a herc, scorpian, or magmite (or the new Walkers).

You can get both if you want, leave bash on auto-cast and if you lose aggro once in a while, roar it.

Oh, yes, if your pet can not keep aggro then roar will not help you, since roar does not keep aggro.

But, for example, if you are sending your pet in to help someone (or another pet) that has aggro, or if they pulled aggro but are smart, then roar can be good.

Or, for example, if your party's tank dies during a boss fight, then all of your damage dealers will have built up lots of threat. In this kind of circumstance, a well timed roar can save you from a party wipe -- your pet does not have to hold aggro, here, (nor even survive very long, if you have an ok party -- you can distract that boss for the short time you all need until you get your tank back).
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Aye, roar very much seems to work as you describe - it's fantastic for resetting an emergency. But I'd not want it as my only aggro skill on a pet.
  • /NiKi - Lost City
    /NiKi - Lost City Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    what pet ur using?i use roar on herc and i didnt have any problems with it,
    few times i lose aggro to archer in party but its also on auto-cast and cooldown is always done on time.
    but way back when i was using shadou cub,roar wasnt so good solution.
    i stole aggro from pet fast after auto-cast b:surrender
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I like bash on herc over roar/flesh ream/pounce. If you have more than one skill slot, by all means go for both.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • EverDoom - Harshlands
    EverDoom - Harshlands Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hmm i have roar on my walker but it cant seem to hold aggro. most of the time a few seconds after i roar the monster just starts coming towards me which sucks b:sad i might wanna get bash on it but costs lots of money
    edited December 2009
    Options
    roar =/= hold aggro.
  • Chobsi - Heavens Tear
    Chobsi - Heavens Tear Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The only time I've gotten a good use out of roar is when I used a twin headed canus of the great divide, or whatever it is.
    BH came out when I was somewhere in my 40s and I used it sometimes in squad for when a cleric would get aggro from healing since the other squad members were new to doing BH and working as a squad, other then that I wouldnt use it Questing/Grinding or in most situations
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Chobsi the only thing your good at is making your character look good, otherwise your fail"
    "Did that 95 BM just kill himself to your Herc? Mmm..Yep"
    "Oh that thing I thought was a statue, it 1 shot me, switch to your cleric please"
    "So that Hercules guy from the disney movie really aged well.."
    ~Chobsi b:cute
  • Vixre - Harshlands
    Vixre - Harshlands Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hmm i have roar on my walker but it cant seem to hold aggro. most of the time a few seconds after i roar the monster just starts coming towards me which sucks b:sad i might wanna get bash on it but costs lots of money

Like everyone's mentioned above, roar is used to steal aggro, not to hold it :P use bash on auto-cast to hold aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hari - Heavens Tear
    Hari - Heavens Tear Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    On the magmite I used until like 93, I had bash, roar, shriek, and tough.

Bash held agro, roar took agro from me when I out-DDed it (as long as you bash after roar you're fine agro-wise), shriek interrupted casting and served as a third agro skill, and tough helped it survive.

For my herc, I use roar. Why? It's simple.

My herc doesn't hold agro with roar, it holds agro with reflect. Obviously, this only works on [?] mobs, meaning TTs mainly. However, if I was tanking a boss that wasn't a [?] level somewhere else with my herc, reflect wouldn't be enough to keep agro.

So why is roar better than bash? Simple - even with roar my herc still wouldn't keep agro. Roar is to take agro - say my pet dies because I forgot to heal or something in a TT, a bash herc - even if revived - would not be able to re-take agro on the boss before it killed me. All I have to do is click roar and my herc will do that. If a barb dies, I can instantly take agro off the archer or whoever has it. It's just that easy.

It basically comes down to what you're using it for. If you want pure damage, bash wins hands down (outside of PvP). If you want to use it for tanking, roar wins because it allows you to re-take agro to save your butt. Bash - in my experience - will never actually add enough hate to keep a mob or boss from coming after you, because your attacks will always out-hit a pet's. If your attacks for some reason don't out-hit a pet's, then you don't need bash to keep agro anyways.
    HT clerics at their finest:

hari: can you do mdef debuffs? makes the fight go faster
    naughty_x: waste, I do more damage without them
    hari: ...you do more damage in 2 seconds than reducing mdef by 35% for 4 casters does in 20 seconds?
    naughty_x: is waste, i do more damage

hari: 3-3 BH goes a lot faster with a sin
    naughty_x: no, only a difference of like 3 minutes
    hari: ...we've been in here a lot longer than 3 minutes already
    naughty_x: your opinion
  • EverDoom - Harshlands
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hmm so would it be a wise investment to get bash on my walker? im lvl 55 and prob no way close to getting enough for a herc
  • Ketki - Sanctuary
    Ketki - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hmm so would it be a wise investment to get bash on my walker? im lvl 55 and prob no way close to getting enough for a herc

Save for herc. It worths the money :P
    Ketki - Sanctuary
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Save for herc. It worths the money :P

People always say this, but I'm not convinced 50-60 mil for a pet is worth it. I won't argue that the Hercules isn't useful, but it may not be worth the high price tag anymore.

On topic, I use my Glacial Walker's roar to great effect on TT runs.

My last 3-1, our tank was killed by Deathflow, so I immediately hit roar, followed by tough, allowing the rock to tank Deathflow long enough for the squad to recover.

(I'm aware a Hercules with roar would have fared better in the same situation, but, a Hercules can tank all of 3-1 anyways...making an actual tank unnecessary)
  • EverDoom - Harshlands
    edited January 2010
    Options
    People always say this, but I'm not convinced 50-60 mil for a pet is worth it. I won't argue that the Hercules isn't useful, but it may not be worth the high price tag anymore.

On topic, I use my Glacial Walker's roar to great effect on TT runs.

My last 3-1, our tank was killed by Deathflow, so I immediately hit roar, followed by tough, allowing the rock to tank Deathflow long enough for the squad to recover.

(I'm aware a Hercules with roar would have fared better in the same situation, but, a Hercules can tank all of 3-1 anyways...making an actual tank unnecessary)

hmm did u teach ur rock any new skills? or upgrade any?
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    hmm did u teach ur rock any new skills? or upgrade any?

Nope, and I have no plans to. Icicle 2 and Roar 2 aren't enough to keep aggro in normal grinding, but, I don't intend to keep the walker for too much longer. Unless I change my mind about getting a Hercules.
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    i have a question, so is leveling roar worth it, does it have an aoe thing that will attract all mobs ariond it, or should it just be left alone?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Roar on a pet is never an AOE.

Levelling it up increases the amount of aggro it draws - thus giving you more time after a roar before you pull aggro again.
  • Nyxya - Harshlands
    Nyxya - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    On the magmite I used until like 93, I had bash, roar, shriek, and tough.

Bash held agro, roar took agro from me when I out-DDed it (as long as you bash after roar you're fine agro-wise), shriek interrupted casting and served as a third agro skill, and tough helped it survive.

For my herc, I use roar. Why? It's simple.

My herc doesn't hold agro with roar, it holds agro with reflect. Obviously, this only works on [?] mobs, meaning TTs mainly. However, if I was tanking a boss that wasn't a [?] level somewhere else with my herc, reflect wouldn't be enough to keep agro.

So why is roar better than bash? Simple - even with roar my herc still wouldn't keep agro. Roar is to take agro - say my pet dies because I forgot to heal or something in a TT, a bash herc - even if revived - would not be able to re-take agro on the boss before it killed me. All I have to do is click roar and my herc will do that. If a barb dies, I can instantly take agro off the archer or whoever has it. It's just that easy.

It basically comes down to what you're using it for. If you want pure damage, bash wins hands down (outside of PvP). If you want to use it for tanking, roar wins because it allows you to re-take agro to save your butt. Bash - in my experience - will never actually add enough hate to keep a mob or boss from coming after you, because your attacks will always out-hit a pet's. If your attacks for some reason don't out-hit a pet's, then you don't need bash to keep agro anyways.

ya this is perfect my reason too ..i try ream bash but for a solo tt roar save ur **** ..also if i go fb 79 lets say and is first boss that one reflect dont' work i tell to dd to hold back or ..or dieb:chuckle was so funny last time a wizzy sit down and reply "i am not even gonna hit" ..my guess is that that reflect not enough to hold agro bash won't save archer or wizzy **** much more..but i saved lots of tt party wipes by getting agro from barbar when he was 10% hp left..including saved my own **** in those so long tt team solo b:cry
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ya this is perfect my reason too ..i try ream bash but for a solo tt roar save ur **** ..also if i go fb 79 lets say and is first boss that one reflect dont' work i tell to dd to hold back or ..or dieb:chuckle was so funny last time a wizzy sit down and reply "i am not even gonna hit" ..my guess is that that reflect not enough to hold agro bash won't save archer or wizzy **** much more..but i saved lots of tt party wipes by getting agro from barbar when he was 10% hp left..including saved my own **** in those so long tt team solo b:cry
    what are you talking about? herc selfbuffed has zero evasion, reflect always works
    i go in squads with ppl i know, a properly debuffed boss is what herc need.
    in 3-1 for example i see bash doing 16k damage, reflect around 10k when boss is debuffed. of course its less that what a real DD can do but i never lost agro to DD's while herc was tanking this way. i found that if a barb stop getting agro my pet can grab agro easy. of course its basically reflect that hold agro for long run. if pet ever die you are probably the last person tageted by boss, barb should easy get agro in this case then you get it from him.
    imagine going solo aoe grinding with just herc with roar, that would be the wort choise ever
  • MagicVos - Heavens Tear
    MagicVos - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    roar saves alot of people's ****. bash wont save them. and when if you steal aggro from your pet you wont get it back that easy with bash, with roar alot faster. but i like to use them both. bash has a short cooldown and hits alot.
  • __Shade__ - Raging Tide
    __Shade__ - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Roar = Take aggro once, and has too long cooldown time.

Bash = Build up aggro and hold it, has rather good cooldown time.

Herc can keep aggro with Roar too if mob/boss hits melee coz of reflect buff. Reflect buff also builds aggro, but if its a pure mag or ranged mob/boss that does not do melee dmg Herc will loose aggro to DDs. Roar is rather bad choice especialy for solo HH. In solo HH you need kill power since you'll mostly be healing, so bash is a better choice, and also Herc does not loose aggro to DDs with bash.
    edited January 2010
    Options

Herc can keep aggro with Roar too if mob/boss hits melee coz of reflect buff. Reflect buff also builds aggro, but if its a pure mag or ranged mob/boss that does not do melee dmg Herc will loose aggro to DDs. Roar is rather bad choice especialy for solo HH. In solo HH you need kill power since you'll mostly be healing, so bash is a better choice, and also Herc does not loose aggro to DDs with bash.

Herc cant hold aggro well at all when grinding. 60 seconds in between mobs? No thank you. Also, if bash loses aggro on bosses/regular mobs, Im sure roar will as well. Reflect does not generate nearly that much aggro. Also wanted to correct, that Herc will indeed lose aggro to DDs with or without bash. Herc sucks at aggro outside of [?] mobs, end of story,
  • SeaStorm - Heavens Tear
    SeaStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I started with Roar (lvl 5) on my main tank and later switched to Bash (lvl 5). Main reason as several have stated:

Roar resets the aggro and has long cool down time. It does not build aggro.

Bash builds aggro and has shorter cooldown time.

With either skill I have to let my pet get a few hits in before I start hitting with my skills. I stole aggro more often when I was using Roar, my squad stole aggro more often when I was using ROAR. Worked find at lower lvl but not at higher lvls. Pet's damage was also less.

Bash wise I rarely steal aggro off, my squads rarely steal aggro off (well there's this one BM but she can steal aggro off barbs higher lvl than her - these are not fail barbs she's just that freakingly good built). If my squad steals aggro I'm on a non-? boss and I'm one of the lower lvls in squad. Pet's damage over all is greater.

Also with good barb tanks (or that BM) I leave my bash on for extra damage, if for some reason the tank loses aggro the pet (next highest damage) gets the aggro and I go into heal mode. Squad never gets hit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BattleFairy - Lost City
    BattleFairy - Lost City Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    lets be honest here.

endgame, nobody tanks with hercs because it takes bleeping forever (unless its s ? mob/boss)

herc will *almost* (stupid archers) always be able to keep aggro on a ? mob if the deflect is of any significance.

I just see no purpose to avoid "disasters" when most people never have disasters anymore. Or at least I dont in most any situation...
    The Swarm is imminent...
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have actually stuck with pounce.

It has an even better "Save me" action (since roar lets the monster finish its casting) and also adds a fair chunk of damage/aggro on bosses (what with the increased hitrate)

It's not a perfect solution, but I like it so far.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I went for bash on my herc.
    I thought Roar to my golem before as addition to Bash. I used to help friend wizzy to farm apoc.pages in eden. He used to steal aggro from golem even with watching his damage. Roar helped to get it back, but not always, so it made me see Roar as nice saving skill but not reable one. If someone in squad can steal aggro from you, then Roar wont save him for long.
    On other hand, Bash is good for building threat level and keeping aggro, but if you lose aggro then dont really hope that you will get it back fast with it. When my herc was only lvl83, he lost aggro to higher level archer .in 3-1.. archer died and boss killed half of squad before herc got aggro back. Reason why it got aggro back was that barb tanked it for a bit and herc smashed it till his threat level was higher.

On other than [?] mobs/bosses pet wont be able to keep aggro with Bash or Roar. Even if squad is holding back. My husband in game is bm (my level). He gets aggro no matter what weapon he uses and even if he is holding back, and even he was lower level than me and herc. If you are soloing, then on mobs/bosses with lot of hp you might not have too much time to cast spells, so chances to steal aggro is small.

Both are bad at keeping aggro in long term, but I would advice to go for Bash, cause it at least gives additional damage. More damage, faster enemy goes down.
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

getting bash is expensive, then lvling it is a pain, but on my glacial i love it, roar, followed by bash and icicle keeps decent aggro, have to be careful when grinding with my wiz friend, so i find that combo nice to keep us both alive
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt
  • Nyxya - Harshlands
    Nyxya - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    kenlee wrote: »
    what are you talking about? herc selfbuffed has zero evasion, reflect always works
    i go in squads with ppl i know, a properly debuffed boss is what herc need.
    in 3-1 for example i see bash doing 16k damage, reflect around 10k when boss is debuffed. of course its less that what a real DD can do but i never lost agro to DD's while herc was tanking this way. i found that if a barb stop getting agro my pet can grab agro easy. of course its basically reflect that hold agro for long run. if pet ever die you are probably the last person tageted by boss, barb should easy get agro in this case then you get it from him.
    imagine going solo aoe grinding with just herc with roar, that would be the wort choise ever

dude..reflect works on melee attacks... not on archers and pure magic attack mobs....like first boss fb 79...in tt at boss reflect holds agro alone i dont even have active roar ..is a back up skill..in tt 3-1 that rino boss sometime hit magic and phys over 4k and kill hercule..with bash i would just die or run and waste 20-30 min of my time...with roar i shield, make hercule again(bit hard couse boss mag atack break cast) buf def and roar..and can go again..with bash what u do? pray works?b:chuckle