KS (kill steal) issue

Pchan - Dreamweaver
Pchan - Dreamweaver Posts: 134 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Suggestion Box
As far as I'm concerned, many people are annoyed by kill steal. For those of you wondering what it means, kill stealing is the practice of a player receiving credit for killing an enemy, when it should have clearly been another player's kill. b:surrender

I happen to run into a few on my alternatives (not exposing names), especially during the heavy traffic time of the day, and it's really difficult to complete quests and what not (lvl 20-30 monsters and sometimes higher lvls as well..)

I am proposing this solution for the KS issue that whomever "taps" or starts to hit the enemy first gets all the exp points, drops, and quest kills. Regardless who the second person is, even if it's helping, the second person does not have the opportunity to receiving credit for that kill.

Hopefully this is making any sense. I'd like to hear some opinions or cons about this solution. Thanks for hearing me out b:victory

edit: I'd like to make this clear that this is only for those who are not in a squad.
Post edited by Pchan - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Ainclandorn - Lost City
    Ainclandorn - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I've seen this on another game, I quite liked it. First to damage the mob gets the credit. Drives me nuts, specially when there are only a few of a certain mob and everyone is trying to get it.
  • Pchan - Dreamweaver
    Pchan - Dreamweaver Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    thanks for answering =) I'm glad someone agrees b:chuckle
  • khaleeji
    khaleeji Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Good suggestion b:victory
  • Rheic - Dreamweaver
    Rheic - Dreamweaver Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    No.

I can already imagine how some people would use that.

Example: Oracles. Your suggestion would mean that I wouldn't NEED to kill the nasty buggers. I only needed to wait until someone else was coming to do it and shoot it once before the other player gets to it.
    Who needs a sig anyways?
  • Magicgerbil - Harshlands
    Magicgerbil - Harshlands Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I would hate ranged classes then on my melee chars =( Just make it even easier for mag classes to ks then.... they don't even need to nuke the mob like they do now, they just tap it once =(
  • Valletta - Dreamweaver
    Valletta - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    How about just making a single combat way?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Red can be good, Blue can be bad. Never be confused by the two colours of rivalry" - General Summer.

"When I look out to see the movements of the wraiths, I usually see something... Something that is attacking the invaders... I think some wraiths are on our side as well... I shall call them, the rebel wraith." - Wraithhunter Hu.
  • LillyLane - Sanctuary
    LillyLane - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    how about people just squad up together instead of being selfish jerks on the field all the time... whining about how they need full xp. Blah.

getting that frustration out is all ^^
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    how about people just squad up together instead of being selfish jerks on the field all the time... whining about how they need full xp. Blah.

getting that frustration out is all ^^

At a low level, it's better NOT to squad. You get a good amount of your exp from the mob kills, and cutting that down by squadding hurts you a lot and requires you to grind for exp later in the level when you run out of quests because you partied to get your quests done faster. It's not "selfish", it's good sense.

On topic: This would make it very hard for melee classes. If the character is running towards the mobs, and a ranged class hits it first, the melee can always fight for the kill. I'm ranged, and if I see someone else hitting it that I realized after I cast my spell had been running towards it, I back off and let them have the kill. This would make it harder for them, not easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    bad idea, just like lots of others that simplify the game too much... however, just like other ideas that make the game easier and more kindergarden friendly, I have a feeling it will be in our future......

This will make "reserving" mobs a good business for people that need quick cash.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • ladyamen
    ladyamen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I really think that this is a serious subject that should be more exactly examined by the GMs!
    There are really many classes, who are in this reference point absolutely inferior: Barbs or Blademasters have in they defensive character construction absolutely no chance compared with Archern or Assasins. I THINK THAT IT MUST BE FINALLY, NEVERTHELESS CHANGED! The one, who has landed the first hit, should also belong the mob! THIS IS A DIRECT CALL TO A GM! Please, around answer!
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    ladyamen wrote: »
    I really think that this is a serious subject that should be more exactly examined by the GMs!
    There are really many classes, who are in this reference point, are absolutely inferior: Barbs or Blademasters have in they defensive character construction absolutely no chance compared with Archern or Assasins. I THINK THAT IT MUST BE FINALLY, NEVERTHELESS CHANGED! The one, who has landed the first hit, should also belong the mob! THIS IS A DIRECT CALL TO A GM! Please, around answer!

GMs don't comment on suggestions b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • Taranta - Dreamweaver
    Taranta - Dreamweaver Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    ladyamen wrote: »
    There are really many classes, who are in this reference point, are absolutely inferior: Barbs or Blademasters have in they defensive character construction absolutely no chance compared with Archern or Assasins. I THINK THAT IT MUST BE FINALLY, NEVERTHELESS CHANGED! The one, who has landed the first hit, should also belong the mob! THIS IS A DIRECT CALL TO A GM! Please, around answer!

Umm...a Blademaster or Barb should easily be able to take aggro from an assassin. Those little squishy things can't hold aggro to save their lives. Heck, my weakest pet can still take aggro away from a similar level assassin, even one who's going full out with skills. Heck, a barb who can't keep people from stealing their kills isn't a barb I want to be around. Kill credit is based on aggro, which is what barbs are wonderful at keeping. Not overall damage, so a barb can avoid kill stealers unless they are MUCH higher leveled.

First hit getting the credit? Bad idea. A horrible one, actually, as mages and archers could potentially lock the melee classes down for the rest of the game. I could go grief the lowbies, just by spamming my AoEs until they all ragequit. Fight for the aggro, not get it handed to you. Either that or just go start a squad.
    I shall dominate the Dreamweaver server through the use of Baked goods...and only baked goods.^^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venomancers are Female. Barbarians are male. It will forever be this way. So suck it up and deal with it already.
  • ladyamen
    ladyamen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    i thought that the one who make more then 50% damage get allways the kill and not the one who have the aggro O_o am i wrong? b:shutup

and there are some ppl with very high leveled players in they sqad, who dont allow another players to join they squad and easely steal all kills, so couse of that i think they must be some change in that subject
  • PartyAnimal - Harshlands
    PartyAnimal - Harshlands Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Turn around, kill them. b:bye
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited December 2009

Umm...a Blademaster or Barb should easily be able to take aggro from an assassin. Those little squishy things can't hold aggro to save their lives. Heck, my weakest pet can still take aggro away from a similar level assassin, even one who's going full out with skills. Heck, a barb who can't keep people from stealing their kills isn't a barb I want to be around. Kill credit is based on aggro, which is what barbs are wonderful at keeping. Not overall damage, so a barb can avoid kill stealers unless they are MUCH higher leveled.

First hit getting the credit? Bad idea. A horrible one, actually, as mages and archers could potentially lock the melee classes down for the rest of the game. I could go grief the lowbies, just by spamming my AoEs until they all ragequit. Fight for the aggro, not get it handed to you. Either that or just go start a squad.

Actually wrong. It's based on damage. A barb might be able to hold aggro with their skills, but unless they do 50% of the damage they don't get the kill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Taranta - Dreamweaver
    Taranta - Dreamweaver Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Actually wrong. It's based on damage. A barb might be able to hold aggro with their skills, but unless they do 50% of the damage they don't get the kill.

Hm...Always thought it was determined by aggro. My mistake. I've never really come across somebody trying to steal my kills, so I didn't really know. Sorry if I mislead anyone.
    I shall dominate the Dreamweaver server through the use of Baked goods...and only baked goods.^^[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venomancers are Female. Barbarians are male. It will forever be this way. So suck it up and deal with it already.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited December 2009

Hm...Always thought it was determined by aggro. My mistake. I've never really come across somebody trying to steal my kills, so I didn't really know. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Makes it a lot easier to determine how to help someone that needs to solo something though. b:victory Just wait until they hit 50% of the health, then kill away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beyondtheskies
    beyondtheskies Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    What about this: The person who deals the highest amount of damage gets the exp and whatnot. If by some stroke of luck they both deal the same amount it will then be distributed to the first to attack it.

just a suggestion...
  • PartyAnimal - Harshlands
    PartyAnimal - Harshlands Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    What about this: The person who deals the highest amount of damage gets the exp and whatnot. If by some stroke of luck they both deal the same amount it will then be distributed to the first to attack it.

just a suggestion...
    DD's would win.
  • Outlaw_Sin - Heavens Tear
    Outlaw_Sin - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    ksing can be a tad annoying at times. expecally during mob killing events like the snowman event and wraith attacks. there are 2 ways i can think of to combat this.

1. once a mob is targeted it can't be targeted by another.

2. in area where there are high concentrations of players and too few mob, add more mobs! in my time at pw i find that only 2 places fit this idea. that's broken row bluff, for the wolfkins and and what not. and tusk town, where the mobs are few and worst yet, are scattered over a wide area. (this does NOT include oricale mobs lord knows the hell that would ensure if that was the case)

but hey be thankful, i've played mmos where the one who gets te last hit in gets the kill. THAT would be a pain.

it should be noted that most people don't ks intentionally. ranged damage dealers, due to there charging or them just being out of sight, tend to be called ksers when in reality they most likely had the mob targeted and setting up to attack it before you even noticed it. it's happened to me several times on my archer. i'm about to kill a mob and some barb or bm starts attacking it. when my skill is released it crit hits and does over 50% damage. which sometimes results in said melee character whispering me ranting about me ksing them.

ksing is indeed annoying especially during wraith attacks. sure it's a free for all event, but still it's just not right for a level 70+ character to pop up in a level 40 wraith attack and take all the kills. the lower level players, who if they are anything like me when i first came here, would be lookinf forward to the drops so they can make some cash. even when given event for them the high levels still go to the lower level areas like during a wratih attack on archo. high levels flooded the low level area while the high level areas had very few people there. THAT in my eyes is true ksing the free for all rule on that event be damned. lol altho most of you would disagree with me on that one b:laugh
  • trunksx
    trunksx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    There is no way to completely combat KSing. If you use that targeting thing you mentioned, someone will target Yangsheng, and make you pay him to get the kill. Any way to combat KSing comes with consequences, unfortunate but true.
  • Soltarr - Sanctuary
    Soltarr - Sanctuary Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    How about this: As soon as you start channeling an attack on an untouched mob, it becomes unselectable to anyone outside your squad. As soon as that attack is either cast or cancelled, the mob becomes selectable again.

So if two players both target a mob and try to attack it, first to start channeling (or start a normal attack) will succeed, other will automatically unselect the mob (which would stop any attack they had queue up). Nothing would stop them from reselecting it (after the first players initial attack) and intentionally trying to KS, but it should eliminate accidental KS'ing. At the same time, you can't tag a mob and hold it 'ransom', since it's only unselectable while you're making your first attack.
  • SouthPaw - Dreamweaver
    SouthPaw - Dreamweaver Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    No.

I can already imagine how some people would use that.

Example: Oracles. Your suggestion would mean that I wouldn't NEED to kill the nasty buggers. I only needed to wait until someone else was coming to do it and shoot it once before the other player gets to it.

Totally agree.
    Bad idea.
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    IMO the system in place is the most fair honestly, whoever does the most damage gets the credit. That way basically whoever "killed" the monster the most gets the credit for killing, the exp is already somewhat divided when two people hit outside of squad.

Only during events is ksing even a problem, and isn't too bad as long as you just pay attention to your surroundings while selecting mobs.

As a wizard I always look to see if someone is running toward the mob I'm about to attack, if so I select a different one. The few times i have ks'd someone i just say "Sorry for ks" and move on. If they still have a problem after that, just blacklist them. Most people don't mind if you just say "Sorry."

The current system is the most fair and sensible option imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Agreed the ks as is, is probably the best one can get. Though I think it would be nice in cases of boss's which may take a long time (like WB). To implement something else. Like if a squad has been attacking the boss for 1 min, or dmg'd the boss to 95% it becomes unksable.
  • XEnchantorX - Sanctuary
    XEnchantorX - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Ksing u can never stop most people are annoyed by this but u cant change the characteristic of the player just cause hes supposely ks'ing just something iv learned not 2 go near groups of peeps when doing quest.
  • HiddenBIade - Heavens Tear
    HiddenBIade - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Less QQ more KSing.

anyone who complains about being KSed need to grow up and have some fun, you cant expect the entire game to be easy. as i have said before in another post, if you kill steal someone you have proved you had earned the kill and you should get the credits for it. if you have been Ks then you do not deserve the kill and should try and KS back or log off, uninstall the game and cry to your mothers

~ /\res 86 Archer, looking forward to Ksing all you QQers b:kiss
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    anyone who thinks that the one who did most damage earns the kil even if someone else hitted it earlier
    never played a low damage class and only cares for him/herself

i like the first hit deserves the kill if you can actually solo kill it
    its different when someone mass aoes a rare quest mobs with very low damage though

and that system i described is stil giving the upper hand to ranged classes
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts