Ask first, grasshopper.

gyphon
gyphon Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
My nomination for strangest word to censor: 'grasshopper'.

You can break it into any parts you like, even '****' misses censorship, but the full word only comes out in asterisks.

2009-12-2922-05-03.jpg
Post edited by gyphon on

Comments

• Psytrac - Raging Tide
    Psytrac - Raging Tide Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I'd have to second that, that's wierd..
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    It's not grashopper that is filtered, it's asshopper. But yeah, that's a strange word to filter. Like that's used commonly to insult or degrade someone.

You know, at some point, someone had to send in a ticket... "someone called me asshopper and I'm deeply offended"
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Panthalassa - Dreamweaver
    Panthalassa - Dreamweaver Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I played a game that edited the word "clam" even though it was an in-game item.
    Also Known As: Sora_Kaiyou

I got tired of my avatar not showing up. b:sad
  • FranzKafka - Dreamweaver
    FranzKafka - Dreamweaver Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Well we all remeber the Cockatrice before they changed the name to Flametalon.b:laugh
  • gyphon
    gyphon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    No, you can type 'asshopper' all day long. XD
  • Psytrac - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    asshopper = ****

yea, it's a wierd thing to filter, as even I didn't know till now. but they did their homework

(I can't even post the source, cause it's impossible to clean the rest of the definitions, since it's slang and not an official word of the english language)
  • hawk
    hawk Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    The swear filter in most games is kind of wonky. Swear words that are part of otherwise perfectly normal words winds up with random censorship.

Submit a ticket about it I guess b:avoid
  • Psytrac - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    hawk wrote: »
    The swear filter in most games is kind of wonky. Swear words that are part of otherwise perfectly normal words winds up with random censorship.
    yea, this is actually one place I can't see bypassing the filter to be an inherently bad thing. haven't run into any filetered normal words for myself yet, but if it's normal and not harmful I'd say passable.
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I played a game that edited the word "clam" even though it was an in-game item.

I played a game where an item was called "Slag Pads", yet if you tried to type the word "Slag", it was censored out.
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    A friend of mine told me about that not too long ago. I was reading thru the faction chat you left up.. and I LOL'd@ the comment about it must be some asian slang u didn't know about!

I don't get it either.. tbh.
  • Psytrac - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    I played a game where an item was called "Slag Pads", yet if you tried to type the word "Slag", it was censored out.
    slag? filtered? *blinks* now that might be going a bit far..

*does research*

or not..

3. slag
    slang

1. NOUN (British and Aussie) A promiscuous woman
    2. NOUN & VERB(Aussie) spit
    3. VERB (British and Aussie) to put down, mainly used as the phrasal verb to "slag off" something
    4. NOUN When manufacturing iron ore, the scum on the surface

(funny in fps I use this word alot to mean dead things/people)
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    what really bugs me is when i mention my electric scooter. for some insane reason, the filter objects to 'cooter', which is, so far as i remember, a pet name for little kids. so i have to write it sc ooter whenever i mention it. really annoying to have my 'car' bleeped!

It's not grashopper that is filtered, it's asshopper. But yeah, that's a strange word to filter. Like that's used commonly to insult or degrade someone.

You know, at some point, someone had to send in a ticket... "someone called me asshopper and I'm deeply offended"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Psytrac - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    it's a deragotory term toward women. slang ftl?
  • Mirabeth - Sanctuary
    Mirabeth - Sanctuary Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Haha, when I first discovered this I laughed so hard. The weird censors that randomly appear and disappear in this game never cease to amuse.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Skybelle for the wonderful sig

Where did you go, where did you go? How did you know to get out of a world gone mad? Help me let go of the chaos around me, the devil that hounds me. I need you to tell me "Child be still". If the darkest hour comes before the light, where is the light?
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Last time I tried to type out circumstance it came out cir****tance.

There are other odd ones... '****' is ok but '****' is censored. I guess when you have more than one it becomes obscene.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Last time I tried to type out circumstance it came out cir****tance.

There are other odd ones... '****' is ok but '****' is censored. I guess when you have more than one it becomes obscene.

I love that one. Back when the game first started you couldn't say japanese, it came out ***apanese. You still can't say sophomore. Seems like they could make exceptions for words with censored words in the middle of them. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    b:beatenupb:chuckle

quit fantasizing about multiple **** Astypoo!
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • hemoglobin
    hemoglobin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    lol at the faction chat
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Anyone else remember trying to explain the firecrackers during the Nien beast event?

How about talking about spoons before spoons became our community manager here?
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I think scooter was censored too here.
    Belligero
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    gyphon wrote: »
    No, you can type 'asshopper' all day long. XD

No, you can't. Notice in your screen, you spelled it with only one P. :P
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Bebisito - Dreamweaver
    Bebisito - Dreamweaver Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I used to play on this little flash site once in awhile.. and the word "shoes" was censored as "Sblahs." Good times...

I think grasshopper is censored because it looks similar to "***hole" but that's my take on it.
  • Gyphon - Raging Tide
    Gyphon - Raging Tide Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    No, you can't. Notice in your screen, you spelled it with only one P. :P

I didn't want to post ALL of the chats, but the type was later corrected. And lmfao@ 'spoon'. They really just need to run most of the dictionary through the exceptions list. All the dirty words are short and fit most anywhere. b:chuckle
  • Ryoku_ - Dreamweaver
    Ryoku_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I didn't want to post ALL of the chats, but the type was later corrected. And lmfao@ 'spoon'. They really just need to run most of the dictionary through the exceptions list. All the dirty words are short and fit most anywhere. b:chuckle

no you chose not to post it cause it is censored and we all know it and anyone could simply know it by typing it. also the word Grasshopper isnt completely censored but the "asshopper" part is so it looks like this gr*********
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    haha yah grasshopper was uncensored for awhile but then was censored again.

My favorite and how I refer to the word filter on this game is eating japanese crackers with a spoon. ( @_@ now I don't know if there is such thing as japanese crackers much less if you can eat them with a spoon but those words used to be filtered.) Would always come out as eating ***anese ******** with a s***. b:laugh Seems they have other words they filter now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pegasi - Lost City
    Pegasi - Lost City Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    This reminds me of how awkward it would get when I typed Cracker Jacks.... considering cracker was censored out....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When Saukey decides she can swim, I know I didn't get the DC pop-up again. Wish she swam when it matters.
  • Narore - Lost City
    Narore - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    what really bugs me is when i mention my electric scooter. for some insane reason, the filter objects to 'cooter', which is, so far as i remember, a pet name for little kids. so i have to write it sc ooter whenever i mention it. really annoying to have my 'car' bleeped!

Pretty sure "cooter" is slang for female genitalia lolz.
  • Panthalassa - Dreamweaver
    Panthalassa - Dreamweaver Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Pretty sure "cooter" is slang for female genitalia lolz.

As far as I know, it hasn't been used in a long time. But yes, you are correct.
    Also Known As: Sora_Kaiyou

I got tired of my avatar not showing up. b:sad
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    truekossy wrote: »
    Anyone else remember trying to explain the firecrackers during the Nien beast event?

How about talking about spoons before spoons became our community manager here?

That's a huge rumor! I was mad because not even I can make a character named spoons! b:cry
  • Psytrac - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    That's a huge rumor! I was mad because not even I can make a character named spoons! b:cry
    admin override ftw? lol