Screen Resolution

Sycorx - Harshlands
Sycorx - Harshlands Posts: 45 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Support Desk
Hey,

I have recentaly installed the client on my Windows 7 computer. There is only one resolution that I can have in full screen mode (1366 x 768, same as my computer resolution) all the others have black around the edges. I don't like this resolution because it makes everything look small like the shortcut bars ect. On my other computer it is set to a different resolution and everything is much bigger AND it fills the whole screen instead of putting black around the edges. I wan't my Windows 7 to do the same but it shows up with a black border. Here are some screenshots of both computers. #1 is my Windows 7 set to 1366 x 768, #2 is my other computer which I like the look of a lot more. Can you please help me?

#120091228083337.png
#220091228083650.png
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Post edited by Sycorx - Harshlands on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You see... this isnt an issue with windows 7, nor the computer. Its with the monitor, one is widescreen, the other is not.

Play in windowed mode. Oh wait, that doesnt help either because theres no UI scale... Either buy a new monitor with 4:3 resolution or live with it.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Sycorx - Harshlands
    edited December 2009
    Actually both are widescreen :)
    (\__/)
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I dont see how the second one is widescreen... Its fullscreen with resolution at 800 x 600. Thats 4:3, which is not widescreen.

I dont see how the second image can be produced on a widescreen monitor without setting it to windowed mode or without the fugly space at the sides.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • bluesey
    bluesey Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    In addition to the above, the UI components are literally the exact same size. They just look a bit smaller on a widescreen monitor because you have more space to spread them out in.

If you prefer things condensed, just play in windowed mode in a 4:3 resolution you like. Heck, it's the only way you can get anywhere with the Tideborn, anyway. ;)
  • Sycorx - Harshlands
    edited December 2009
    I dont see how the second one is widescreen... Its fullscreen with resolution at 800 x 600. Thats 4:3, which is not widescreen.

I dont see how the second image can be produced on a widescreen monitor without setting it to windowed mode or without the fugly space at the sides.

I have no idea why the image is like that but both are DEFINITELY widescreen. The resolution on the second computer is not 800 x 600 it is only on PWI that the resolution is this. The actual resolution on the second computer is 1920 x 1200. I don't know why is doesn't have black at the edges. If computer 1 didn't have black at the edges it would be sweet but...
    (\__/)
  • bluesey
    edited December 2009
    I have no idea why the image is like that but both are DEFINITELY widescreen. The resolution on the second computer is not 800 x 600 it is only on PWI that the resolution is this. The actual resolution on the second computer is 1920 x 1200. I don't know why is doesn't have black at the edges. If computer 1 didn't have black at the edges it would be sweet but...

Did you use PW's screencap function or the PrntScrn key? PrntScrn takes a literal screen print of what's displayed on the monitor and would have been the better choice for this, as PW's function seems to print it at the selected resolution based on what I can gather from this.

What I have to offer is that Win7 likely is forcing the resolution to remain constant. You'll probably have to go into the right-click menu on the actual PW EXE file and find whatever 7 has for a compatibility tab to force PW to run at a lower resolution and change your PW settings to match.
  • Sycorx - Harshlands
    edited December 2009
    I used print screen for both but with second image I emailed it, maybe this has something to do with it? The thing that you suggested, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks
    (\__/)
  • bluesey
    edited December 2009
    Well, I don't personally have Win7, but I'd imagine it's not too different.

What you need to do is go into Program Files (or wherever PW is installed), find the "element" folder, right-click "elementclient.exe" and go to the Compatibility tab, and hope it has something a bit better than Vista's measly single option of running it at 640x480.

Either that, or if you're not afraid to launch it through outside software, there's a program called Advanced Game Loader I found for free on a Google search. You can use that to add elementclient.exe to a list and change the screen resolution to a lower one individually and launch the game from there, but I can't guarantee how stable it will be, as I've done minimal testing with it and ended up not even using it for the game I got it for because it turned out to be a game settings issue, rather than a speed one like I originally thought.

A safer bet, although really annoying, would be to just change your display resolution for your computer every time you want to play, or maybe just change it to a lower one and leave it that way. You can probably do that by right-clicking your desktop, but things are so different from that point on between XP and Vista that I'm afraid I have no guess as to where to go from there using 7.
  • aeonhack
    aeonhack Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Did you try unchecking "wide screen" and setting the resolution to 800x600 in game?
  • Sycorx - Harshlands
    edited December 2009
    Thanks i'll try that and yes I have tried it widescreen and not widescreen.
    (\__/)
This discussion has been closed.