Is this Bannable?

Options

Comments

• Psytrac - Raging Tide
    Psytrac - Raging Tide Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Eh, not defending this person... but morals depend entirely on the place you grew up in and your life experiences.... You can't expect everyone to share your same moral/ethic values.
    true to that point, what point out what morals this person has based on what you see presented here
  • Zhou_Yu - Heavens Tear
    Zhou_Yu - Heavens Tear Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    PK in the cube is simply a part of the cube. You accept that if you enter it.

With that being said; extortion is VERY bannable (see Section J of User Conduct in the ToS).

A simple screen shot (or FRAPs video) of the player actually saying it should result in some action taken. How harsh that punishment will be though, will be up to the GMs.
  • _bowser - Heavens Tear
    _bowser - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    lol i wonder what he's gonna do if someone just strolls in w/ a 9x char b:chuckle

"gime 100k or-" *dead*
    <----this made me b:laugh till i b:cry great comment jinxx
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    honestly to the OP dont be so silly it should be banable if it isnt cause its just scamming

and this reminded me off an other game i played this high lvl said pay me alot off coins to solo that dungeon for you or i kill you while you cross the pvp area which is just as silly as what the OP seems to want

and pking in the small area off the cubes entry room is banable had people try to kill me in there mostly when i was 7x(pretty funny that whoever tried to kil me never did enough damage to kill me if i didnt make them run for their lives)
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Foltern - Sanctuary
    Foltern - Sanctuary Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Hi. I would like to share my opinion. Then I will share the reality of it. I do not know why you posted this first of all, If it's something you do or plan to do or you just wanted to ask. You didn't say so I won't assume either way.

My Opinion:

If a student of a school does that kind of thing to another student. It's very likely it can be considered harassment and something can be done about it, If it was my decision I would consider it harassment in the game and provide warnnigs leading up to a ban if it continues. People might expect to be killed for no reason and without warning insde the cube and that is one thing, Making a threat to them and placing a condition on their progress to coherse them into surrendering items or money is something else entirely. Extortion is something nobody expects or should have to deal with. It is against the law in many places around the world and in my opinion it should considered unacceptable behavior in PWI. Nobody should have a to deal with a "Digital bully" ruining their fun and trying to take their money because they are too lazy or < Insert reason > to go out and make money some other way. Just because you are anonymous and safe does not make it okay to do.

I think the question you should be asking yourself is: What would you do and how would you feel if you came in the cube and someone 30 levels higher said that to you?

Most likely the reality:

PWI is a business and they protect people who spend real money on the game. If you invest thousands of dollars in the game heh either you won't be punished at all or you will get a simple warning and nothing will happen from there. I personally know of people doing far far worse things but well, they spend the money and money buys you a lot of things that's just how it is.

---

So, if it was up to me, I personally would consider that harassment and I would warn that player about it. Eventually it might get to a ban if the behavior continues but I seriously doubt that.

----

In reality that is up to the GM and nobody here in the forums who is not a PWI employee is qualified to answer your question on behalf of PWI. They can only post what they think or suspect same as me.

My advice is to submit a help desk ticket if you are serious and you want to get an official answer from them. Outside of doing that, disregard my opinion and everyone elses, get an official answer.
    People eventually get whats coming to them. When it happens they can't understand why it happened to them.

The contents of that quote is 100% true and priceless.

Have a good day, Regards
  • Nemesyk - Raging Tide
    Nemesyk - Raging Tide Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hate to play the devil's advocate here... (i've already made my own opinion clear)

to be perfectly honest, this game is a "Role Playing Game"... and as such, each player is technically expected to create a "personality profile" for their character.... so technically, doing this is within the boundaries of the genre the game is officially listed as, and as such would not be legitimately bannable (unless the player charging for safe passage is only targeting specific player or some other such blatantly obvious maliciousness)
    Retired Character

New main is Alexenokin of Lost City
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    hate to play the devil's advocate here... (i've already made my own opinion clear)

to be perfectly honest, this game is a "Role Playing Game"... and as such, each player is technically expected to create a "personality profile" for their character....

And if that character profile is that of an extortionist scumbag? That character is then banned :)
  • Nemesyk - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    Options
    And if that character profile is that of an extortionist scumbag? That character is then banned :)

however, as i said, due to the fact this game is officially listed as a "Role Playing Game", that ban would not be legitimate (a technicality, but factual nonetheless)... as per the rules/regulations/policies of the genre... i don't expect anyone here to understand what i'm talking about, but point is made for those who do understand
    Retired Character

• IDaun - Dreamweaver
    IDaun - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    however, as i said, due to the fact this game is officially listed as a "Role Playing Game", that ban would not be legitimate (a technicality, but factual nonetheless)... as per the rules/regulations/policies of the genre... i don't expect anyone here to understand what i'm talking about, but point is made for those who do understand

As someone already said, something like this would be considered harassment IRL. If we wanna get into the RPG aspect of the game... what are the laws of PWI? Do they mirror a lot of places IRL (even PK is punished-- red name & guards)? If they do... a ban would still be okay. If I went to my school and harassed another student like that, I would get suspended.
  • haybails
    haybails Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

to be perfectly honest, this game is a "Role Playing Game"... and as such, each player is technically expected to create a "personality profile" for their character.... so technically, doing this is within the boundaries of the genre the game is officially listed as, and as such would not be legitimately bannable (unless the player charging for safe passage is only targeting specific player or some other such blatantly obvious maliciousness)

Technically, yes, role play, create a character and behaviours but try as people might, to maintain that at all times, for years sometimes in a game such as this, generally means representing an extension of themselves in some way. Sometimes these views stick through life, sometimes the personal outlook and presentation changes, with experiences and learning.

As a game for the masses, for a cross section of ages, thus we have TOS. Away from games, extortion, blackmail, bribery, protection money... all closely related and all not keeping with laws. The TOS are written to protect the end user and (more so) the company within the laws.

This is a game where it is meant that decency prevails, there are a good number of quests which have lessons of decency and respect, for people and their hard earned property.

Just to note with reference to the OP, I'm not sure either way if this idea was his or if he has witnessed others attempting this scam and is as a result, claiming opinion from the playing public and an official GM response via this forum.

In summary, we can look back to a previous post:
    PK in the cube is simply a part of the cube. You accept that if you enter it.

With that being said; extortion is VERY bannable (see Section J of User Conduct in the ToS).

A simple screen shot (or FRAPs video) of the player actually saying it should result in some action taken. How harsh that punishment will be though, will be up to the GMs.
  • Jibreel - Harshlands
    Jibreel - Harshlands Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    i support whoever did it :) if your in a PK server/area, there will be bullying :D
  • haybails
    haybails Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    This is off-topic really...
    if your in a PK server/area, there will be bullying :D

I can't believe I'm replying to such a (troll of a) post... b:shocked However, it does warrant a response.

So your ambition is... to be a bully? Congrats! What a fine being you make!

To put a finer point on it, yes, PK takes place and is expected on a PK server but continuous (no longer random) PK to the point of it being bullying is harassment. Player A may think it to be ok to PK player B x times while player B may deem y number of PK's from an individual to be intentional (harassment) against them.

Is there a fixed number of sequential PK's (in a place) from one person before perceived harassment becomes a legit case of bullying? I don't know and I'm not on a PK server so actual figures here are of less relevance to me.

Back to the original subject...

TOS cover these matters but for official determination of meanings, if a GM doesn't reply to this, a ticket may be the path, being careful not to stitch yourself up with the wording, especially if you have not acted this deed out!
  • PartyAnimal - Harshlands
    PartyAnimal - Harshlands Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    haybails wrote: »
    This is off-topic really...

I can't believe I'm replying to such a (troll of a) post... b:shocked However, it does warrant a response.

So your ambition is... to be a bully? Congrats! What a fine being you make!

To put a finer point on it, yes, PK takes place and is expected on a PK server but continuous (no longer random) PK to the point of it being bullying is harassment. Player A may think it to be ok to PK player B x times while player B may deem y number of PK's from an individual to be intentional (harassment) against them.

Is there a fixed number of sequential PK's (in a place) from one person before perceived harassment becomes a legit case of bullying? I don't know and I'm not on a PK server so actual figures here are of less relevance to me.

Back to the original subject...

TOS cover these matters but for official determination of meanings, if a GM doesn't reply to this, a ticket may be the path, being careful not to stitch yourself up with the wording, especially if you have not acted this deed out!
    When we have to kill mobs we will call you k?
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    When we have to kill mobs we will call you k?

Just if it's a PK server doesn't mean you can intentionally target the same person over and over again or do what the OP was saying-- charge a 'passing' fee. I'm sorry that you can't see what's wrong with that. PvP doesn't mean "free for all bullying" and quite frankly anyone who thinks that and is proud of it needs some help.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Just if it's a PK server doesn't mean you can intentionally target the same person over and over again or do what the OP was saying-- charge a 'passing' fee. I'm sorry that you can't see what's wrong with that. PvP doesn't mean "free for all bullying" and quite frankly anyone who thinks that and is proud of it needs some help.

Yes he can. It's called camping look it up.
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Yes he can. It's called camping look it up.

And camping is banned where? In SP, from what I've seen on the forums. Therefor, it's not allowed everywhere. And there's a fine line between camping and harassment. If you can get reported on a PvE server for constantly KSing someone (harassment), then you can get reported on a PvP server for constantly killing a single person (le gasp-- harassment).

Either way, who would want to do that? Wow, fun. Killing the same person over and over and over and over again. This goes back to my 'you need help' comment.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    And camping is banned where? In SP, from what I've seen on the forums. Therefor, it's not allowed everywhere. And there's a fine line between camping and harassment. If you can get reported on a PvE server for constantly KSing someone (harassment), then you can get reported on a PvP server for constantly killing a single person (le gasp-- harassment).

Either way, who would want to do that? Wow, fun. Killing the same person over and over and over and over again. This goes back to my 'you need help' comment.
    Harshland is the only server that happened and tbh they kinda did over do it. Guilds camp enemy guidlies all the time b:bye.
    "I don't know and I'm not on a PK server". Yes it is sort of.
  • whatwhowherewhen
    whatwhowherewhen Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    lol @ QQing carebears. You should totally do this ( if it isn't bannable) Heck I may log in and do this myself just to see the reaction.

"OMG HAVE YOU NO MORALS"

"No, I don't."
    edited December 2009
    Options
    lol @ QQing carebears. You should totally do this ( if it isn't bannable) Heck I may log in and do this myself just to see the reaction.

"OMG HAVE YOU NO MORALS"

"No, I don't."
    Think I love you b:laugh
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If these things happen, people tend to tell these things in their faction...

And surely, bad karma is gonna get you...

Sooner or later, you won't wanna play this game anymore b:laugh
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If these things happen, people tend to tell these things in their faction...

And surely, bad karma is gonna get you...

Sooner or later, you won't wanna play this game anymore b:laugh

I agree. Every1 who will do that to me. I put on my waiting killing list. He will be very surprised, when I will kill him after 1/2 year. He will not have idea what's going on. I will gladly refresh his memory.b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Personal opinions aside...I'd be more inclined to see this actually work.

You're in a PK room, openly announcing an intent to kill someone if they don't comply. Seeing as 9/10 people wouldn't trust you as far as they could throw you if they had half a brain, they'd either just kill you (if applicable obviously...) or be killed themselves.

Even if it ISN'T ban worthy...sounds like a complete and utter waste of time, IMHO.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I agree, complete waste of time. All doing that shows is that person is immature and full of themselves, and needs to be put in their place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • storehammy
    storehammy Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    lol would be sooo funny if they tried to threaten a level 100+ fully armed, charmed, full chi, person.
    b:chuckle
    hemoglobin: idk how the hell you can turn the word burrito into something sexual. perversion at its finest
    b:shocked
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary
    A clone of MagicHamsta... wow. He's original but you're not.

Me are hibernating. *poof*
  • FranzKafka - Dreamweaver
    FranzKafka - Dreamweaver Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I agree is a low life move and mostly I play in a carebear server to stay away from such scums.
    This said I'd hate a game that bans everything out of "morale" or what not.If they aren't cheating they should have the freedom of doing it.If he harasses you just get 3-4 people from your guild and gank on him till he quits playing.I'm not sure if karma hits back but boy the taste of revenge is so sweet.
  • storehammy
    storehammy Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    PvP server FTW~
    find him outside....even though he be stronger then you, he's probably charmed so....b:sin
    charm eating time!
    b:chuckle
    hemoglobin: idk how the hell you can turn the word burrito into something sexual. perversion at its finest
    b:shocked
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary
    A clone of MagicHamsta... wow. He's original but you're not.

Me are hibernating. *poof*
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    While I agree with most of ppl here and you really are jerk. That does not mean it's not legit, its Pk enabled room, so if he wanted he could just kill them any way, but he gave them a choice no matter how much lame it is...
    b:dirty
  • Nastassiya - Sanctuary
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Honestly, my friend plays a space MMO and that's common place in the low sector space. The company permits it because well, it's realism. Back in the "dark ages" people charged a toll if you wanted by in your caravan. Now days you pay a man or woman at a booth if you want by in your vehicle. I don't find it "low" to use a path. :p

If I was trying to pass the cube I'd rather pay 100k and live to complete it than to die, loose some fashion because it's the only item not bound yet.. exp, and start over mad =P To me... 100k is worth far less than the time it took to get the exp back because I didn't have a GA.

Personally... while I don't care for people who camp the rooms I would still rather not charge a fee to pass :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nemesyk - Raging Tide
    edited December 2009
    Options
    As someone already said, something like this would be considered harassment IRL. If we wanna get into the RPG aspect of the game... what are the laws of PWI? Do they mirror a lot of places IRL (even PK is punished-- red name & guards)? If they do... a ban would still be okay. If I went to my school and harassed another student like that, I would get suspended.

you obviously can't wrap your mind around the concept i have explained. so please, stop trying to win a debate you have already failed, its a waste of time
    Retired Character

• _azure_ - Sanctuary
    _azure_ - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    In my case, ive been doin the cube since lvl 70 as a friend recommended to start at that lvl back in the day. I've gone into room 11 more times then I count and TBH when I enter not a single person touches me, ironically it's the other way around when I just stand there and lower lvls say 'pls don't kill me'

On the other hand there was a lower lvl who challenged me to a duel once and I beat him with one hit, was a wiz, straight after he taunted by saying, 'can't you try harder?' So I sent him back to room 1. The moral of that story is really not to get too big for your own boots in any situation, lvl isn't everything but then again takin the **** or tryin to start something when you can't clearly win isn't too smart either.

If it was me being threatened to pay a ransom, I wouldnt even answer them I'd either fight or die. It's kill or be killed if they leave you no choice in a pk enabled room
This discussion has been closed.