Blinking/Black Screen? TRY THIS!

Options
Highestelf - Heavens Tear
Highestelf - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Support Desk
I just updated DXDIAG on my wifes Windows Vista + ATI graphics PC and her Blinking/Blackout graphics prob is gone.

Click the folowing Microsoft web site link:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/aboutGFW/pages/directx.aspx
Or copy and paste it into your Internet browser address input section and hit the "Enter" OR "Return" key on keyboard.

On that web page select "Latest DirectX Download for gamers"

On the new web page choose the link "DirectX End-User Runtime"

On the new web page choose the "Download" button for:
File Name: dxwebsetup.exe
Version: 9.27.1734

PLEASE - respond here after the DXDIAG update is complete and you log game and test results?

1) Whether the DXDIAG update worked for you.
2) PC brand
3) Windows Version Vista or win7
4) Graphics adapter brand
5) Graphics adapter type (onboard or add on card)
6) Monitor type CRT(older tv type) or LCD (Flat panel)
7) Monitor settings for PC
8) Monitor settings for game
9) Game window setting Full screen or windowed

The information you provide may help others with similar features.

I could have given direct link to the file download - but this way you confirm you are on official Microsoft web site.
Post edited by Highestelf - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Eaglesw - Lost City
    Eaglesw - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    1) Update didn't worked because it was unnecessary that's what the setup said
    2) Is a custom made : Intel Pentium E5200
    3) Windows 7 later edit x86 sorry
    4) Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 512Mb DDR5 256bit
    5) look above
    6) Benq 20' LCD
    7) Rezolution 1680x1050
    8) 800x600 lowest graphic detalis that's what the tech support told me to put PWI tech support
    9) Game full screen
    In conculsion it didn't work for me , NNNNNEEEEEEEEXT !!
    You will never fly alone!
  • Highestelf - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Did you check and see if 64 bit needs a different version/ release of DXDIAG?
    Mat require search effort on your part lol
    1) Update didn't worked because it was unnecessary that's what the setup said
    2) Is a custom made : Intel Pentium E5200
    3) Windows 7 x64
    4) Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 512Mb DDR5 256bit
    5) look above
    6) Benq 20' LCD
    7) Rezolution 1680x1050
    8) 800x600 lowest graphic detalis that's what the tech support told me to put PWI tech support
    9) Game full screen
    In conculsion it didn't work for me , NNNNNEEEEEEEEXT !!
  • Eaglesw - Lost City
    Eaglesw - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Sorry its the normal version x86 I forgot I've changed it.
    You will never fly alone!
  • Yukkuri - Heavens Tear
    Yukkuri - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    2 words: No effect.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]LOVE
    Information: It is proven that the majority of the Perfect World International player base suffers from "Motorcylophobia".

-Every single patch to an MMO causes players to cry: "They Changed It, Now It Sucks". Every. Single. Patch. -Taken from TV Tropes.
  • chelseacrafter
    chelseacrafter Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Didn't work

Consider this:

If it was a graphic error on the user end then:

1. why does it happen only when u move camera to view certain buildings

2. why doesn't it happen on other characters when you go look at those same buildings in the Tideborn area?

If it's my graphic card having an error then the error would occur when I fly my veno to the same area. ONLY my new Tideborn character has this issue.

Blaming the user's graphic card in this case is illogical.
  • dtz
    dtz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    You're making a false assumption that whatever is causing the issue would cause it 100% of the time if it were the graphics card at fault. This is not necessarily true, as it could be a combination of several factors. i.e. the problem occurs only when a tideborn character is in a certain place, but also only when the user has a specific graphics card. Given that this problem is NOT universal across the board for everyone with a tideborn, it is logical therefore to assume that the problem must lie, at least in part, with the afflicted users' hardware.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild.
  • chelseacrafter
    chelseacrafter Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    dtz wrote: »
    You're making a false assumption that whatever is causing the issue would cause it 100% of the time if it were the graphics card at fault. This is not necessarily true, as it could be a combination of several factors. i.e. the problem occurs only when a tideborn character is in a certain place, but also only when the user has a specific graphics card. Given that this problem is NOT universal across the board for everyone with a tideborn, it is logical therefore to assume that the problem must lie, at least in part, with the afflicted users' hardware.

Ahhhh... there you have it... You've proven my point.

This is one of those "We knew ATI people were going to be screwed & we just didn't care" moments.

That proves it's a development/programming error.
    Failure to provide a functional user interface that is compatible across all the major platforms is not an end user error.

You cannot expect half your customers to go out & buy/install a new graphic card simply because you want to use a proprietary graphic format that fails on the most common graphic card in the whole world.
    edited December 2009
    Options
    WHO SAID IT WAS THE GRAPHICS CARD?
    At what point did I say "It's the graphics card!" ??? Seriously!

God, it never fails - you try to say something as clearly as possible and people just don't get it!

I only continue to persue this in the interest of those that have a brain and think before they speak.

I don't "assume" it is anything in particular. BUT my suspicion lies in a software related issue NOT hardware - so there!!! More specifically? ok - Coding in the RT expansion, related to graphics.

It seems an overwhelming fact that PC's running Win7/Vista OS's and ATI graphics are the ones experiencing the problem. This is not to suggest that it is "hardware based" - Is the OS "Hardware based? Not where I come from.

I'm certainly not suggesting "everyone" with these OS's and ATI graphics are suffering either. Read the forums and you will see posts that prove this:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=552651

Your complaint about me "blaming" the graphics card is as rediculous as if you had accused me of blaming the OS!

Have YOU viewed the official system recomendations for playing PWI games? I bet not - here's a link for you:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=87242

Why persue the PC/hardware questions? to provide a resource of information for "all" users to peruse and find similarities, or patterns.

Why offer suggestions for drivers and/or software updates? - to see if others (Maybe not YOU) can achieve "any" relief at all.

The worst that will happen is you will have updated drivers and software installed when the problem is resolved.

My suggestion is based on "my experience" having done what I am suggesting and found "some" benefit.

Honestly - my gut feeling tells me that the Game programers need to make changes in the coding related to RT - only then will "everyone" achief satisfaction.

Or should I say "those of us" that aren't quick to attack others on false pretenses.

BTW = WTH would the Camera angle have to do with anything? I haven't screwed with camera angle and my guess is few others have either! In fact my wifes PC, the one with the problem - doesn't have an F9 key on the keyboard - go figure - lmfao!

Hmmm... thinking.... maybe that IS THE PROBLEM, My wifes new keyboard has F1 thru F8, no F9 or F10! I better see if I can pull F9 key from an old keyboard and Cram it into the new keyboard since they neglected to put one in when they designed it, then I can **** with camera angle in game.
    Didn't work

Consider this:

If it was a graphic error on the user end then:

1. why does it happen only when u move camera to view certain buildings

2. why doesn't it happen on other characters when you go look at those same buildings in the Tideborn area?

If it's my graphic card having an error then the error would occur when I fly my veno to the same area. ONLY my new Tideborn character has this issue.

Blaming the user's graphic card in this case is illogical.
  • Sudndeath - Harshlands
    Sudndeath - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    im having same problem... it always happens with tideborn accounts, not with others.
    i have windows vista and intel graphics card... game has always worked correctly before tideborn update :/
    i play with fullscreen (800x600 resolution). i can play like 3mins and then i get black screen...
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Thank you for your input.

Your limited info, along with another players comments(accessed thru the link I provided earlier) is enough to put to rest any belief it is only ATI graphics related. But Vista and win7 are still implicated, and even more? perhaps 64bit?.

My wifes PC(the one we have issues with) is 64bit
    Your PC is 64bit

Another player, referenced via a link in previous post has a 64bit + win 7 + ATI said he is having no problems with the expansion.

Is this looking like a coding conflict between the Expansion and 64bit OS?
    Too soon to tell obviously, but my point is made. Perhaps we found another possible cause for the problem? It isn't unusual for 2 people to have Identical hardware/software and still have different reactions from a piece of software.

This is the purpose of posting detailed info - not to "Blame" any piece of hardware(as presumed by another poster) OR Software - it is to find a common thread amongst those having troubles.

I am 110% confident the programmers have already identified the problem and working on a fix as we speak. So all of this is more for benefit of the players. Perhaps we can all see how patience and a little detail can shed light on the causes of a problem. The more we learn and know, the better we will be.
    im having same problem... it always happens with tideborn accounts, not with others.
    i have windows vista and intel graphics card... game has always worked correctly before tideborn update :/
    i play with fullscreen (800x600 resolution). i can play like 3mins and then i get black screen...
  • ride0the0walrus1
    ride0the0walrus1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I don't think the problem is is just 64-bit OS and I am running 32-bit version of Vista, though I do have ATI Radeon 4870. For me I notice the blinking screen most often occurs when I use the right mouse button to rotate the camera around my Tideborn character. But the blinking screen does not happen all of the time I rotate around the character, though i do think, for me at least, it has something to do with rotating the camera. Sometimes the blinking will stop and as soon as I go to rotate the camera again it starts.
  • XRayWing - Dreamweaver
    XRayWing - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    It doesnt have anything to do with 32bit nor 64bits mate,dont take assumption just cuz the 64bits one works "less" ,take in fact that most of the users here actually need 64bits or they cant use their rig at max efficiency.

Ive got Win 7 64bits on my Desktop Rig with a Gigabyte GT 220 1GB DDR3 740/1620/840 and Perfect world works like a charm in Tideborn and everywhere else with no less than 29 FPS (Only in tideborn at max settings with forced 16X AA and 16X AF) , tho on my laptop i got Win 7 32bits and it doesnt work at all in Tideborn with an Ati Radeon Card X1100 and it flashes black,same goes for my Gf's Computer at win 7 32bits with an Intel x3100 also flashes black in T.Born.

Im not blaming ATI's nor Intel's, its the programming that interfear with those 2 GPU's causing them to constantly crash. The thing is it interfears with nVIDIA GPU's aswell but not so much,on nVIDIA's the only side effect is a slight decrease in FPS (I get around 40-50 FPS in archo full of ppl all settings maxed and in TB i only get 29 FPS with all settings max and there arent even 1/4 of the ppl from archo) so yeah,its the programming and the texturing that messes things up,All 3 GPU brands are suffering,but ATI and Intel more for beeing totally unplayable,but that has nothing to do with 32bits nor 64bits -_- ,its just a slight failure in programming which interfears with the 2 GPU brands where it needs a fix (Obviously or they would loose clients).

Edit : Also take in fact that the new zone and the new races are wayyy too detailed(imo)compared to the others,just have a look around and see the bunch of effects those zones have : The bubbles on house's textures,the blue aura around the houses themselfs,then you have water near(which if u got water on max and refraction to "Open" it also affects the fps)you've got the new chars,also many ppl atm testing the "New" things, it makes sence that it interfears,also (afaik) the texture overlapping aint exactly "well made" ><
  • Opalwind - Heavens Tear
    Opalwind - Heavens Tear Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

if you use window instead of fullscreen it will stop
  • tiniael
    tiniael Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    As i think this issue also connected to fps you have ingame, when its near 1, its blinking (i has AMD Turion 64TL58\ATI 2600HD laptop). Also when has all settings in minimum (**** was better running in my pc... it really optimization needed)
    Also Win Vista SP3
    DX 11, september 2009 update
    Ati catalyst drivers : 8.65

Some investigation: This issue i has only in tedeborn vilage. (starting location for tideborns)
    Will (no) wait for Phase with acceptance. (If i find game which catch my interest)
    Good LucK Diamond Phase OnePlayers of Forsaken World
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Ha ha ha - I am not even gona try to support or rebut any of this, it made my head flop. Just kidding.

If I understood you correctly, and I'm hoping I did - You are reinforcing the likelyhood that it is coding, which can be corrected in the graphics portion of the expansion game code?

Someone suggested here to switched to windowed from full screen and that will work.

NO, it does not work, nor does downgrading graphics settings. At the very best - it may allow you to log in and navigate a while longer before the issue kicks in. Eventually the issue does return and moving the character OR changing the view angle will seem to return the screen stability, again - only for a limited time.

I used a culmination of everything I and others suggested and the problem seemed cured just long enough for me to suggest it was, then it went straight to **** again.

I've resolved to wait for the fix - hopefully with the new patch today!!

It doesnt have anything to do with 32bit nor 64bits mate,dont take assumption just cuz the 64bits one works "less" ,take in fact that most of the users here actually need 64bits or they cant use their rig at max efficiency.

Ive got Win 7 64bits on my Desktop Rig with a Gigabyte GT 220 1GB DDR3 740/1620/840 and Perfect world works like a charm in Tideborn and everywhere else with no less than 29 FPS (Only in tideborn at max settings with forced 16X AA and 16X AF) , tho on my laptop i got Win 7 32bits and it doesnt work at all in Tideborn with an Ati Radeon Card X1100 and it flashes black,same goes for my Gf's Computer at win 7 32bits with an Intel x3100 also flashes black in T.Born.

Im not blaming ATI's nor Intel's, its the programming that interfear with those 2 GPU's causing them to constantly crash. The thing is it interfears with nVIDIA GPU's aswell but not so much,on nVIDIA's the only side effect is a slight decrease in FPS (I get around 40-50 FPS in archo full of ppl all settings maxed and in TB i only get 29 FPS with all settings max and there arent even 1/4 of the ppl from archo) so yeah,its the programming and the texturing that messes things up,All 3 GPU brands are suffering,but ATI and Intel more for beeing totally unplayable,but that has nothing to do with 32bits nor 64bits -_- ,its just a slight failure in programming which interfears with the 2 GPU brands where it needs a fix (Obviously or they would loose clients).

Edit : Also take in fact that the new zone and the new races are wayyy too detailed(imo)compared to the others,just have a look around and see the bunch of effects those zones have : The bubbles on house's textures,the blue aura around the houses themselfs,then you have water near(which if u got water on max and refraction to "Open" it also affects the fps)you've got the new chars,also many ppl atm testing the "New" things, it makes sence that it interfears,also (afaik) the texture overlapping aint exactly "well made" ><
  • satch
    satch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    WoW and how long has this been going on :( i spent god knows how long patching to come back and try the new classes only to be denied with this stupid Coding issue, i do hope they fix this soon.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET YA BUTTS MOVING AND FIX THE ISSUES ALOT OF US ARE HAVING so we can enjoy the new classes like all of those who can still actually play..
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Black screen glitches were present long before this expansion - they're just more common now. When I first created my tideborn, I was getting constant black-screen, to the point where I had to forcibly close PW.

Switching to window mode helps. Turning on performance mode helps A LOT (just turn on Customizations afterward, or everyone's face will look the same). Restarting your machine occasionally helps. Nothing solves the problem completely. Again, I had issues like this before Rising Tide came out, and they usually happened after my lappy had been on for a few days straight (not always playing PW, just... on).

All that suggests to me is that it's a memory issue. It could be that, as the PW app keeps growing and demanding more from your hardware, the average video card is just finding it harder and harder to keep up. What video RAM do we all have, here? Also, how many of us are having the issue on laptops versus desktops?

That doesn't answer why only certain people are having the problem, of course... but that's just the two cents I'm chipping in to hopefully figuring it all out. Quite frankly, I'm tired of playing in Windowed + Performance Mode. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • shinratengiga
    shinratengiga Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have an HP dv6000 with some nonsense integrated graphics card from Intel, I have XP, Vista & Linux(the only one without pwi installed, just to be clear) on my laptop. The only time I get the black screen flickering is in vista. My laptop came with vista and is only recommend for use with vista. I haven't updated the drivers on XP for a very long time. I will however try to get the newest drivers for Vista a little later tonight and see what happens though. So while I have no idea whats causing the issue it affects my veno and my wizard so its not just the tide-born classes that have the problem. Infact it seems to have to do with my bandwidth and lag caused by it as my ISP goes up to 8mbps however thats only late at nights or early mornings when nobody else is on. But by mid-day I have to switch to xp to keep playing. b:surrender

Just thought I'd put this out there.
  • IDoomblade - Heavens Tear
    IDoomblade - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hi everyone, sorry your having troubles...

Here's something that has allowed me to play my Tide Born's unaffected by the "Flashing Black Screen"... It may not work for a lot of you, but it's worth a try and takes only a couple of seconds:

What I've done is when the screen starts flashing, I stop moving, and use the Right Mouse button to aim the camera straight at the ground (so your pc doesn't have to load all of your surroundings). If your not sure exactly how, it's easily done by clicking and holding the right mouse button, and then dragging the mouse downwards, and release.

This has always made the black screen go away for me, and allows me to play a long time. The flashing screen appears periodically though, but again, only takes a few seconds to make it go away...

Okay, hope that works for some of you as well... Cheers!

Think for yourself - Question authority

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • samjagstang
    samjagstang Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hey all i was having this problem on my assassin character and im new to this game and it was my first character but i made a human blademaster and the game is running perfect all settings are at full (graphics/textures) but heres my info anyway

1) Nope it did not work
    2) HP - Hewlett Packard (Think thats how its spelt)
    3) Windows 7, might be 64-bit im not sure
    4) ATI
    5) ATI Radeon HD 4350
    6) HP 2159 Series Wide LCD Monitor (21.5 inches)
    7) 1920x1080
    8) i think its 1920x1080 aswell
    9) Full Screen

If any of this stuff helps aswell maybe?

Processor - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor 2.60GHz
    RAM - 4.00GB

Hope this helps anyone and stuff cool but yeah i think its a glitch in that area that affects some people but my human is workin fine so far :)
This discussion has been closed.