1680x1050 resolution

gus34
gus34 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Support Desk
the game only looks nice at a high res for me , yet when i tabbed out of game i got a black bar at top of my screen , can't seem to get rid of it. (looks as if it was caused by the widescreen check box in the options of PWI) I can put my computer resolution at any other resolution and beable to see my toolbar on my computer otherwise at my setting of 1680x1050 my screen is shoved down from this black bar. I know it was caused by this game because the computer was fine yesterday and this was the first game I installed and played today this morning.

(imagine my screen to look like this)

[========================================]
[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ Desktop screen "X" represents ]
[ my black bar ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
[========================================]

thing i have tried to fix , let me go through the list

1.I've gone through every setting of every resolution ingame and tabbed out to see if it got rid of it

2. I went to monitor settings and recentered my image on screen, works for a split second then black bar shoves everything down again.

3.I uninstalled game and rolled my computer back to earlier setting

4. lastly I even reformatted my computer and it returned.

so any input on fixing would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by gus34 on

Comments

• Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    What graphics card your computer has?

Did you format you computer and the black bar is still there ? Then it might be an issue on your monitor settings rather than Windows or Perfect World screen settings.

what's the brand & model of monitor you have ?
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gus34
    edited December 2009
    its a Gateway and to be exact this is the model GM5474 with HD Display LCD monitor, the problem happened after playing PWI messing with the resolutions so.... ya its PWI's fault. i've already gone through all the settings on my computer monitor, tried the screen auto center and it gets rid of it for split second then shoves it back down by this black widescreen bar at top and its only at the top.
  • gus34
    edited December 2009
    well i figured i should re install the game

I used the client downloader and the 2 patches "166-217" and 217-223-

yes my gateway is running on vista (but before we blame vista, my computer was running just perfect before i loaded into the game and messed around with the resolutions)

-FPD2275W TFT LCD Monitor- = thats my monitor model

so I probably did go to a resolution my computer couldn't handle and it was at 1400x1050 res with widescreen checked and thats as much of a black bar as i got at top of my LCD monitor, I can undo the wide yet still get the one black bar at top of screen (could this be a fluke in the game coding). and so when I tabbed out of game it stuck to my desktop allowing me not to see my tool bar.

I've used "Auto" function on my monitor to recenter the screen will shift upward then jump back down again being forced by the black bar (and sometimes it will stay fixed, until a reboot or i use the "Auto" again.

so once its fixed while in game its fixed aswell (note: If you get the extra black bar then it also happens ingame too) so i'll change to a different resolution ingame say 1680x1050 which is the max resolution for my monitor and the black bar will reappear, but when i try the Auto it won't get rid of it. I can only rid it with Auto at 1400x1050

I've sent DxDiag and Hijackthis to the Tech support of PWI and still no reply, I hope they too have ran into my problem cuz this is the weirdest thing a game has caused to happen
  • Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    you said you formatted your computer, do you mean reinstalled vista from scratch? was the black line present then after you booted vista? if so then its probably your gfx card or monitor
  • gus34
    edited December 2009
    yes i did reload vista from scratch checked my graphics card drivers aswell my monitor driver (they seem to be fine, no flaws i can see), and I still get the black bar at top of my monitor. I can re-position my screen and it stays until my screensaver goes on . then when it goes out of the screen saver it reappears

somehow maybe the game has messed up my computer permanently
  • Gryz - Lost City
    Gryz - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    This is an image to help people understand what my issue is. The game caused my monitor to do this, and has been like that since I alt+TAB out of game . still no matter what i've tried has fixed the issue (think my monitor is permanently damaged)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Gaberiel/PWIblackbar.jpg
  • Gryz - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I reset my BIOS on my computer and now my screen wants to stay correctly positioned, but now i got a border of i think maybe 2 pixel rows bordering/cropping my screen on all sides
  • Mcflugal - Lost City
    Mcflugal - Lost City Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    If you go to the settings in game of PWI YOU CAN CLICK THE DEFAULT BUTTON YOU IDIOT!!!

DONT TRY TO MANUALLY RESET JUST SPAM CLICK DEFAULT!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Call 'em "Sins"..."****" just sounds wrong.
    "Hey mom just 5 more minutes im playing with my ****"
  • bluesey
    bluesey Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You know, I wonder if it has something to do with the 16:9 button?

If it's happening to more than one person, clearly some code is getting messed up. Widescreen monitors are actually 16:10, not 16:9 (which is only widescreen TV resolution). You really should be just doing it via the resolution settings. On the other hand, if the 16:9 button is setting things in your monitor firmware or drivers or something, that could account for the black bar.
  • Gryz - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I actually did try the default settings and still didn't rid of the black bar on my desktop Mcflugal IT WAS THAT BAD

16:9 oh maybe thats the problem
  • Gryz - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    bluesey wrote: »
    You know, I wonder if it has something to do with the 16:9 button?

If it's happening to more than one person, clearly some code is getting messed up. Widescreen monitors are actually 16:10, not 16:9 (which is only widescreen TV resolution). You really should be just doing it via the resolution settings. On the other hand, if the 16:9 button is setting things in your monitor firmware or drivers or something, that could account for the black bar.

16:9 is exactly that extra blackbar, yet i've noticed one other thing ingame while messing with resolutions inside of the game rather than on the launcher I was messing with widescreen checkd box and going through all the resolutions and if you alt tab then go back into the game the games resolutions sometimes gets changed to whatever your desktops resolution was rather than being the ingames resolution.

"You really should be just doing it via the resolution settings."

do you mean through the games launcher, inside of game , or the settings on the actual computer? anyways in any case I did try all three of those and i'm still trying to figure out how i even got the blackbar in first case. I auto recenter my screen when I had it, and it wouldn't leave. The black bar it kept reappearing. but when I reset my BIOS, I then recenterd my screen then it permanently stayed. I was happy at this point until my fine eyes noticed that thier is actually pixels bordering my screen and its like

2 rows of black pixels on top and bottom and right side of my monitor
    3-4 on my Left side of my monitor. Its alot better to look at now but i'm still concerned with the game and my computer monitor firmware or drivers or even my BIOS at this point being toyd by the game. PWI's response was to take my computer to a repair shop and have stress diagnostics ran on it. My computer is only 2-3 years old and has heat sync and power savings that even if it overheated it would auto shut down. I believe at this point I am over my warranty on the computer, so at this point getting a replacement would be difficult.

Thanks Bluesey for figure where this extra black bar did come from
    edited December 2009
    This is an image to help people understand what my issue is. The game caused my monitor to do this, and has been like that since I alt+TAB out of game . still no matter what i've tried has fixed the issue (think my monitor is permanently damaged)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/Gaberiel/PWIblackbar.jpg

looking at that image that's your graphics card mate, not your monitor il put $10 it

if it was your monitor then your prnt screen wouldn't pick up the black border as this is just the screen displaying the output sent from the gfx card wrong, prnt screen picks up the output from the gfx card, not the monitor.

if you didn't understand that, then basically your gfx card is the problem, try a diff one
  • Gryz - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    looking at that image that's your graphics card mate, not your monitor il put $10 it

if it was your monitor then your prnt screen wouldn't pick up the black border as this is just the screen displaying the output sent from the gfx card wrong, prnt screen picks up the output from the gfx card, not the monitor.

if you didn't understand that, then basically your gfx card is the problem, try a diff one

It isn't print screen , the blackbar wouldn't show up on a print screen. When I did the prnt screen would just be my desktop looking normal. I just made the image by print screening and moving it down like it was on my monitor to give a picture to people what my issue looked like. so where is my $10???
    edited December 2009
    so where is my $10???

you don't get it
    It isn't print screen

that's why you don't, you didn't say that was a false image, you said
    This is an image to help people understand what my issue is

meaning, here is some support material, not i edited the image to show what the problem looks like.

im sorry to sound so rough, but if your posting for help i need to know the exact problem and details to be able to give support and feed back, if that was a print screen it means your gfx card is the problem, but as it wasn't then your monitor is the blame, you see what i mean?, every bit of detail can change the outcome.
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    It isn't print screen , the blackbar wouldn't show up on a print screen. When I did the prnt screen would just be my desktop looking normal. I just made the image by print screening and moving it down like it was on my monitor to give a picture to people what my issue looked like. so where is my $10???

So if you reinstalled windows Vista from Scratch and the black bar is still there, it's not a PW related problem. It was just a coincidence. Is either your monitor or your graphics card.

If every time you take a screenshot with PrntScrn and it shows what's behind the bar, even after you reinstalled windows, then it's highly probable not Windows related. Either your graphics card or your monitor is damaged or wrong configured.

If you have a notebook, plug your monitor to it and see if the black bar is still there. If you don't have one and have a friend near, plug your monitor on your friend's computer. If the black bar is still there, then is a monitor problem, either widescreen configuration or you got a lucky massive pixel burn.

Also get another monitor and plug it into your graphics card. If the black bar is there, then check the screen configuration or borrow a graphic card from a friend and try again to see if the black bar is still there.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gryz - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I do have a notebook let me find out if it is my monitor being stupid.
  • Gryz - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I hooked it up to a laptop that I have and the picture was fine, when I rehooked it up to my Tower, the black bar showed up again like in my image. Once again that image is not a print screen! A quarter of my left side was black too (being worse this time) I tried printscreen the black bar again , and still print screen did not pick it up and my desktop looked normal rather than being cut off by these black bars

I did my auto on my monitor which re alignes the picture and once again it went away, but in the back of my mind I know they are still thier because my picture is still not flush with my monitor and having a black border around every side. I've gone on Gateway and looked at past threads and found one on black border. They said to make sure my monitor was on widescreen setting , so i looked into it and my monitor is on that setting.
  • Sestian - Lost City
    Sestian - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Sorry at work and didn't read all the posts

Did you unplug the power from your monitor and wait 20 seconds then plug back in?
  • Gryz - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I unplugged and replugged in the monitor and got the black bar at top once again.

at this moment I want to thank everyone for the effort in helping me, any idea is greatly appreciated and will be tried.
  • Gryz - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    I found this guide to help me fix my monitor

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000315.htm

but since this error occurred after I alt+tab and closed the game. it has to be with the game nailing my computer with a coding for resolution. cuz even after I reformatted my picture isn't flush with the screen i got black borders.
This discussion has been closed.