Civility in responding to New player posts

Options
Rue_Law - Lost City
Rue_Law - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
edited December 2009 in General Discussion
I am relatively new to this game and to the forums. I understand that there are rules and proper means of posting. sometimes, people miss a point or are forgetful due to the empassioned plea that they are expressing.

I am not excusing these episodes, however, the responses to improperly reasearched or "bad" posts which ranges from less than civil to downright condescending responses by "elitest" veterans of the forums is simply disgusting. Just because you, have expertise in these things in no way means that you have the right to post childishly punitive remarks directed at those who are less experienced. This only shows your own immaturity and denegrates the forum as a whole.

I would hope that we as a community of gamers can put the devisively condescending comments behind us and be more mature in our bringing understanding to those less schooled in forum etiquette.
Post edited by Rue_Law - Lost City on

Comments

• Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I am relatively new to this game and to the forums. I understand that there are rules and proper means of posting. sometimes, people miss a point or are forgetful due to the empassioned plea that they are expressing.

I am not excusing these episodes, however, the responses to improperly reasearched or "bad" posts which ranges from less than civil to downright condescending responses by "elitest" veterans of the forums is simply disgusting. Just because you, have expertise in these things in no way means that you have the right to post childishly punitive remarks directed at those who are less experienced. This only shows your own immaturity and denegrates the forum as a whole.

I would hope that we as a community of gamers can put the devisively condescending comments behind us and be more mature in our bringing understanding to those less schooled in forum etiquette.

LOL Also, you stole my color.

It has nothing to do with being 'elitist' in my case. I'm just a full-time jackass.b:cute

Anyone who mentions the fact that I bake cookies for the children at my friend's little brother's elementary school is lying.b:angry
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • Karst - Dreamweaver
    Karst - Dreamweaver Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

There are rules and stickies for a reason. If you are able to find the new thread button, you can also click on one of the stickies.
    And if you have a question, how can you think you're the only one who has ever had that question?

If you check out the main forum page for more than 5 seconds, you'll also see the forums are divided into sections. But no time for that, people would rather rush to the new thread button.

If you can't use just one little minute to think over what you're gonna post when you're new to a forum, you won't get any respect from me.
  • ChaoticTears - Harshlands
    ChaoticTears - Harshlands Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Its an MMO's forums on the Internet !!! Good luck getting people to be mature
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options

That's what I said (sort of)!b:victory
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
  • Kawakami - Dreamweaver
    Kawakami - Dreamweaver Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Human rights never existed, that's why mankind had to create them. But yeah, the new people should be treated with a warm shower instead of a cold one.

Originally Posted by ChaoticTears - Harshlands View Post

Being mature has nothing to do with being reasonable for quite a lot of people :\
    Few people make mistakes with fire after being once burned, of people who regard water lightly many have been drowned - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Human rights never existed, that's why mankind had to create them. But yeah, the new people should be treated with a warm shower instead of a cold one.

Being mature has nothing to do with being reasonable for quite a lot of people :\

^this
    they just made up "human rights"........which alot of humans don't even respect/follow....

also yea.....being mature and dumb (or at least posting dumb stuff) still doesn't change teh fact that.....it is still dumb. b:sweat
    the only difference being how they react to the situation....
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Meh...it's just a cultural norm on these boards to see who can troll the best and the loudest. There is relatively little decorum in the "General Discussion" area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

b:surrender No... What your saying is good. But there are exceptions to that.

I'm sure that your a good person who just wants to post right? When I first started posting, a ton of people ignored my posts too since I was "noob" or "newbie"

But after some time, people started to know me since I had lots of posts.

However the exceptions of treating new posters are:

They just want to be famous or known for something. So they spam/troll threads and make pointless threads for no apparent reason.

Those people comment negatively on everyone and use inappropriate language or say rude comments.

The list goes on. But yeah, I'm sorry if I personally made you feel that way but a ton of new posters are really immature just to get the fame they want so yeah.

Sorry if I ever did anything but yeah. b:byeb:surrender
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The same lack of respect you see here is also to be seen in real life. The difference is that here people hide through their characters, allowing them to show themselves with no fear of a slap in the face. Those who led you to post this aren't only disrespecful to newcomers. They act like that with all unless they see a threat, like some possible PKing and so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

people forget expressing their opinion, or 'telling the truth' equates to being an ****. but really, as long as theyre within the confines of the rules, you really cant dictate how others post :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Those who led you to post this aren't only disrespecful to newcomers. They act like that with all unless they see a threat, like some possible PKing and so.

I'm almost always sarcastic. I don't start flaming until either someone does something incredibly stupid or they themselves start flaming.
    people forget expressing their opinion, or 'telling the truth' equates to being an ****. but really, as long as theyre within the confines of the rules, you really cant dictate how others post :P

^This. Hell, if I could dictate how others post then there would be bans handed out like candy corn on Halloween (I'd be among the banned).
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

b:sad Certainly a few rotten apples are present in and sour the taste of every online forum. I just forget about them, the best way to deal with jerk offs on user forums is the silent treatment lol.
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    *generalisations*
    b:angry

Its not because youre a new player, its because you didn't do it properly and it just annoys people. It really has nothing to do with level or how long youve played this game.
    Usually people dont realise that youre new unless you actually say that youre new. And when they make a thread that has been repeated half a billion times and they havent realised that its been posted half a billion times (ie suggestions box threads, etc) people get annoyed, they dont realise your new (because most of the time they have the ??? avatar that doesnt show class or level).
    Again its got nothing to do with being a new player.

Lol mcflugal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Foltern - Sanctuary
    Foltern - Sanctuary Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Hi. ^^

I understand completely. I made my first post here in the forum 09-06-2009.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=415222

I made the thread to just share with the community how I decided to play through the game in a unique way, which was nothing more than that. I was level 22. I have done what I said I would do in that post.~

I got a lot of bad things said about it, you can read it if you like. People said really horrible things in my opinion. I made the post altruistically and sincerely. The reactions I got from just trying to share something which I thought was cool were shocking and disgusted me so I said I Wasn't going to watch the thread and I wasn't returning to it. I never did. I do think that even if something is asked 100 times, there is no reason to launch a verbal assault against that person. Many times it's their first post and it may never have occurred to search for the answer because the the distress from the problem. A response which contains a link to the answer and a short quip stating, "Please search next time" is adequate.

I decided to leave the forums alone. My next post was 11-08-2009 when I wrote a thread about Preventing Account Hacking And Hijacking. Security is something I do have knowledge of and I knew if somebody tried make inferences on the information I could provide meaningful feedback and exchange intelligence. It's a topic that doesn't leave a lot of room for flaming or arguing. It's fairly black and white.

Since then I try to start threads when I post a video or just add my thoughts to other threads which I try to ensure are also logical and less open to interpretation. I try to avoid starting any because there are people who login just to flame you for any reason they can and try to start arguments for no reason. There are both kids and adults that do it to all people, try to deform what you say or meant to say and use it as a basis for starting an argument or an attempt humiliate you by insulting you or finding fault in what you say. I'm an adult, I am above that I contribute with good intentions only and I can exchange thoughts and ideas without arguing. I do not attack other users it's not necessary.

Unfortunately, anything posted anywhere in the forums is subject to strong criticism and unwarranted abuse and it cannot be avoided. In my opinion only, There are 2 things you can do about it really. You can continue to search the forum and faqs for the information you seek and refrain from using the forums to learn about the game Or just do your best to ignore it.

It's similar to what seems to be the far-reaching attitude in the game. "If you can, then do it." and many individuals use anonymity as a derogate from any shred of moral, polite or respectfulness to other people. It's also used as a safe weapon to depreciate other peoples feelings and rage on them just because they can or they think it's "Cool' to be thoughtless and uncaring to earnest people trying to have fun beneficially disremembering they wore similar shoes once.

I hope my thoughts can help motivate you to ignore the truly ugly and repulsive people here in the forums, search the forums before asking for help, empower you to seek help from other players in game or to try your best to learn on your own. There is no way to combat these types of people and it is not useful or productive to speak out about it, they emotionally and morally disabled. By the way there is a forum feature that allows you to block other players or hide their comments if you are sure that person will never say anything you would be interested in reading. It automatically hides all of their comments in all threads which you view but you can click to view it also. You need to click the persons forums name, click "User Lists" on the top left and then choose "Add to ignore list"

Best wishes and regards, Foltern
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Maturity on the internet? GTFO!!!

Moving swiftly on, we will berate somebody when they are deserving of being berated - not before and not after.

If a person cannot spend the extra two minutes of their life to check the question they are about to ask, the QQ they are about to be obnoxious about or the information they want isn't already readily available on the first couple of pages, then I will damned well call them out on their laziness and you can be certain I will remind them that two minutes to make sure they aren't being blatantly obnoxious or plain stupid isn't too much to ask.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cervantia - Sanctuary
    Cervantia - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Riiiigh how do I explain this now...
    Ok so here you have what you can find in any forum of heavily populated MMOs: Many people ******** each other for no reason, no one listening to the other, the only replies relating to a quote is when someone thinks you made a mistake.

Also there are a lot of ppl bored enough to just violate the forum rules with an alt for the lulz. After the 10th "can we have male Venos" you start to lose patience (or at least I do). Prove to that is: On weekends, when GMs do not watch the forums, the number of bad topics increases by far.

However even if this is not a good place for exchanging opinions, it is still very entertaining and informative to visit the forums.
    Trista_Zel wrote:
    If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
    This.
    Foltern wrote:
    The reactions I got from just trying to share something which I thought was cool were shocking and disgusted me so I said I Wasn't going to watch the thread and I wasn't returning to it.
    In your case you just keep saying (or writing) too much... especially about your extraordinary attributes.
    b:quiet
    Cervantia BM 100 / Calivthel Cleric 101 / Davinella Archer 9x
    Kachengy Seeker 8x / Pianna Wizard 8x

I need neither goons nor powerleveling.
    Addicted to PW since Mai 09.
    Factionless.
  • Foltern - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    In your case you just keep saying (or writing) too much... especially about your extraordinary attributes.
    b:quiet

In my first and original post. It was an idea and people attacked me for just talking about the idea itself. I feel the times I reference my character it is valid to do so but can be replaced with any character of the same class. Sorry if it seems excessive or unnecessary to you, that's not my intention at all. If that that is the majority opinion, then sorry to everyone who thinks that. I did so without realizing it and only to help support what I mean to communicate. not for any other reason.

I do write a lot because I like to share my thoughts completely and wholly. I think the meaningful and polite exchange of ideas is a powerful fundamental element of society. My posts are also long because they aren't meant for all forum readers. Especially people who search and flame. They are for people interested in the topic, discussing it with heart and sharing the same community ideals as myself.

Regards

Edit: I did check my inbox and replied to an old message of yours. Have a good day.
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Maturity on the internet? GTFO!!!

Moving swiftly on, we will berate somebody when they are deserving of being berated - not before and not after.

If a person cannot spend the extra two minutes of their life to check the question they are about to ask, the QQ they are about to be obnoxious about or the information they want isn't already readily available on the first couple of pages, then I will damned well call them out on their laziness and you can be certain I will remind them that two minutes to make sure they aren't being blatantly obnoxious or plain stupid isn't too much to ask.
    Not always. There will always be that one ******* who flames for no reason. My policy (as I've already said) is to only flame when someone does something incredibly stupid or if they start to flame.

Moving on to the rest of your post, yeah, that's annoying. Bright side is that there aren't 50 threads a day whining about phoenixes anymore.
    In my first and original post. It was an idea and people attacked me for just talking about the idea itself. I feel the times I reference my character it is valid to do so but can be replaced with any character of the same class. Sorry if it seems excessive or unnecessary to you, that's not my intention at all. If that that is the majority opinion, then sorry to everyone who thinks that. I did so without realizing it and only to help support what I mean to communicate. not for any other reason.

I do write a lot because I like to share my thoughts completely and wholly. I think the meaningful and polite exchange of ideas is a powerful fundamental element of society. My posts are also long because they aren't meant for all forum readers. Especially people who search and flame. They are for people interested in the topic, discussing it with heart and sharing the same community ideals as myself.

Regards
    On forums people generally prefer short and to the point rather than long and drawn out. I actually read your entire post in that thread. While I thought the idea was interesting but I still lost interest half way through.

Also, it may have been your intention that only those who share your opinion would read it but the forums are public. Anyone who saw the title 'Unique playthrough, Making the game fun again.' would obviously be interested and most would just see a long post, read a bit, then comment.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    thissssssss ^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Dosinn - Dreamweaver
    Dosinn - Dreamweaver Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Personally, I kinda agree with the OP. If somones new to the forums, they wont know to use the search function. Granted, this gets on my nerves a lot, but i dont leap into those topics and call the OP an ignorant jacka** or something like that. Ill hop in, and direct them to somewhere where their question has already been answered. And sometimes, the OP is askin for ppls opinions. So, that said, IF the OP is askin something that has been asked a million times before, then yah, we are gonna tell em to stfu and use the search function. But, if the OP is askin about sumthin that doesnt come up all that often, then there is no reason to be complete dooshbags. And asking for Maturity on an internet forum is like asking for a random person to give you a billion dollars. It aint gonna happen.
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Not always. There will always be that one ******* who flames for no reason. My policy (as I've already said) is to only flame when someone does something incredibly stupid or if they start to flame.

Point taken, there is the odd few trolls and flamers here and there. But, unless they're actually flaming something we don't agree with, we tend to berate those people too. Or at least, there's always those few who come out with the "Ladies, ladies please" sort of posts before we just give up and let the mods deal with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ..Eh
    Just define what a "troll" post is and what a "flame" post is. Those 2 words get thrown around so bloody much its not even funny anymore and its gotten blown out of proportion. 1 guy says trolling is a "blend of logic and cynicism", another person says trolling is "GTFO NUB. NO1 LYKS U" Or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Karst - Dreamweaver
    Karst - Dreamweaver Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ..Eh
    Just define what a "troll" post is and what a "flame" post is. Those 2 words get thrown around so bloody much its not even funny anymore and its gotten blown out of proportion. 1 guy says trolling is a "blend of logic and cynicism", another person says trolling is "GTFO NUB. NO1 LYKS U" Or something.

Agreed. Not to mention the ones that think "trolling" is "cool".
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ..Eh

Trolling is an artform which requires much dedication and practice on the part of the troll. Years can pass before a newly minted troll achieves the levels of trolling that the masters of the art have attained. It is a long and difficult road to take but the end result is well worth the time. In case anyone took that seriously, I'm full of ****.

From what I've seen, a troll is someone whose opinion differs from yours and instead of thinking of a sensible rebuttal to their arguments you just call them a troll.

To OP: This is why I flame.
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537182
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537231
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537211
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537221
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537202
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537192
    There's no way in hell that I can be mature and respectful to that perfect example of blatant stupidity.
  • Foltern - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Trolling is an artform which requires much dedication and practice on the part of the troll. Years can pass before a newly minted troll achieves the levels of trolling that the masters of the art have attained. It is a long and difficult road to take but the end result is well worth the time. In case anyone took that seriously, I'm full of ****.

From what I've seen, a troll is someone whose opinion differs from yours and instead of thinking of a sensible rebuttal to their arguments you just call them a troll.

To OP: This is why I flame.
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537182
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537231
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537211
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537221
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537202
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=537192
    There's no way in hell that I can be mature and respectful to that perfect example of blatant stupidity.

That user is confused or doesn't understand how the forum works, the rules or the best way to use it. That does not make them stupid. It makes them inexperienced. Unless you mean they are annoying and you aren't ridiculing their intelligence quotient at all.

Anyone over 16 years old can troll or flame. It takes more thought and intelligence to write something useful and meaningful and have the courage to subject it to the community critique.

In my opinion only, A troll is someone who watches forum threads and repeatedly makes posts specifically which discredit what a person says or aims to demean their intelligence, to break down civilized forum culture by making thread responses or threads crafted to make people upset or angry without posting an equal and opposite number of meaningful and intellectual posts in return. Usually the posts do contain cynicism and attack other players with glib remarks or condescending statements.

Someone who flames may post something like "NUB" or call someone names and similar things. These are usually drive-by insults where the user may be disconnected from the thread of the information in it. Often times they misread the information presented and just say something mean just to do it. There is little thought involved whereas someone who trolls makes a profession out of it and usually does process the information in some analytical way to locate faults and such. It's common for them to compare their number of posts to other users post count, perhaps it makes them more qualified to answer or better mentally equipped. Individuals who flame don't care.

Regards.
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    This thread is troll bait. The trolls are swarming like little kids around a Christmas tree.

b:sweat and people ask why we should be civilized towards new characters sometimes... They love to accuse us too b:surrender
    Some player named Katsuma said that he had a challenge to all players in exeption to his friends and faction members. HE said that he was gonna take on any one from any guild and that if they lose they have to join him. Could some one really do that? He also said that he wanted to Rule PWI 0_o like seriously could he be the real thing that none of us has gotten the courage to achieve??????? Well any way i hope he succeds i would like to meet such a brave player like him lmao any way he seems preety cool always helping all the noobs no matter any race or faction and giving free items and things, so i guess we could all give him a chance no? Maybe the challenge was ment for all those high level player who forgot thefundaments of what a fun game is and are always picking on noobs any who lets see if he gets famouse or something.He mentioned he would ike o appear in game informer mag lets see if he can make it. Lets root for him Noobs I for one support this nice stranger you should too!!!!!!!! ^_^

Are you kidding? There are people like him who do that for stupid reasons like fame. This is the kind of example I mean!
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options

Thats actually true. Maybe not "telling the truth" but "expressing your opinion" if its a bad thing does seem to "equate to being an ****". b:victory

Half the time its the "mature" people who troll/flame the "immature" people who are just posting their opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Options
    That user is confused or doesn't understand how the forum works, the rules or the best way to use it. That does not make them stupid. It makes them inexperienced. Unless you mean they are annoying and you aren't ridiculing their intelligence quotient at all.

Anyone over 10 years old can troll or flame. It takes more thought and intelligence to write something useful and meaningful and have the courage to subject it to the community critique.

In my opinion only, A troll is someone who watches forum threads and repeatedly makes posts specifically which discredit what a person says or aims to demean their intelligence, to break down civilized forum culture by making thread responses or threads crafted to make people upset or angry without posting an equal and opposite number of meaningful and intellectual posts in return. Usually the posts do contain cynicism and attack other players with glib remarks or condescending statements.

Someone who flames may post something like "NUB" or call someone names and similar things. These are usually drive-by insults where the user may be disconnected from the thread of the information in it. Often times they misread the information presented and just say something mean just to do it. There is little thought involved whereas someone who trolls makes a profession out of it and usually does process the information in some analytical way to locate faults and such. It's common for them to compare their number of posts to other users post count, perhaps it makes them more qualified to answer or better mentally equipped. Individuals who flame don't care.

Regards.

That has to be one of the most well thought out and reasonable explanations of what a troll is that I've heard. I'm not sure whether I'd fall under your category of troll (despite my many assertions that I am a troll) since your definition claims that trolls only act like trolls to get a reaction from others. Idon't go around being a jerk to **** people off, it's just how I am in real life and I see no reason to act differently online (and yes, I have gotten my **** kicked a couple times in reality).

As for the threads I linked to (which have apparently been merged into one giant thread), yes, it was a new member's mistake. Of course, if the person had spent a few minutes reading about each of the classes then he would have found his answer. Let's not forget that in order to make a thread in a sub-forum you need to first click into the sub-forum then click the 'New Thread' button which happens to be located just above the stickies (the threads with useful titles like 'newbies guide to ___'). Stupid? Maybe not. Lazy? Hell yes.
  • LOKl_ - Harshlands
    LOKl_ - Harshlands Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Its called 10 year olds on a power trip... MY TOON CAN BEAT UP YOUR TOON I'M BETTER THAN YOUb:angry

Or even better... My **** poor grammar and opinion matters and your a noob because my toon is better than you (I think I already covered the second part)

Makes me laugh in every game I playb:chuckle