fist:
    29: lol
    39: indifferent
    49: speed, dark
    59: more dmg, dark

passives = indifferent

all other skills except aeoline = dark

conclusion = dark is superior

Thankyou for your opinions but that isn't what this thread is about. :)
    I'm sorry for commenting on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Pole I also think sage is better because that ulti too can cast for one spark and piercing winds has a chance to cast for none. On top of that, farstrike deals insane amounts of damage if you go sage, to the point where it tops Atmos Strike from the sword tree.

As for ult goes, I'd take the crit for 5 seconds over the one spark saved any day, if I ever get there.

Piercing Winds could go either way, since the chance for saving spark is 25%. More range from the demon version would be nice in TW.

Meteor Rush is demon hands down. The chance of stun is 1/3, but which BM wouldn't like an extra AoE stun?

Farstrike goes to sage of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Arc - Harshlands
    Arc - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I really love this guide. It makes some excellent points. b:cute Good job man.
  • Athalon - Dreamweaver
    Athalon - Dreamweaver Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Great guide. This should be stickied. Kniraven you are starting to persuade me to make a Sword BM alt.
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    Kedth - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I didn't say mag marrow was bad, i said I didn't use it. I'll go play with it some more so I can make it a part of my guide. I won't add it until after I have experience it's usefulness first hand.

I don't use evasion ornaments. Pirate Kings Seal is an element resist belt. It just has an evasion bonus.

If you don't use your sword skills (the entire point of being a sword BM is the high dmg single target skills) then you might as well go fist. I have used the zerk sword and the HH90 dual swords. Dual swords do WAY more damage with normal attacks, so much so that their DPS is higher even if they are slower. the zerk doesnt make up for it. However, when you use skills, because we get s9o much dmg straight from our skills, the difference becomes negligible and that is when the zerk sword actually shines.

During the next part of my guide I am recommending Sage for Swords. Thusly I don't think Alter marrow mag should be maxed.

I said Phy marrow had limited uses and did say it was good for PvE. I don't know why people think I said it was useless.Perhaps my wording needs to be corrected.

Sorry but if i want damage from skills i switch to Axes, that's one of their purposes. Tha's why BMs have many weapons too. And no way TT90 green dual blades do more damage that the zerk TT90... i used them too and its not even close. I dont see the point either of having 2 skill based weapons with me >.< Not to mention that the single-blade eats dual-blades in terms of aggro management... of course fists do even better.

Btw, i didnt say i dont use Sword skills... you wont see me spamming them in PvP tho. Maybe atmos to send a nix to the underworld or as a finisher, or Myriad against a robe, and that's it.

b:bye
  • Arc - Harshlands
    Arc - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'm liking it so far :o
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Sorry but if i want damage from skills i switch to Axes, that's one of their purposes. Tha's why BMs have many weapons too. And no way TT90 green dual blades do more damage that the zerk TT90... i used them too and its not even close. I dont see the point either of having 2 skill based weapons with me >.< Not to mention that the single-blade eats dual-blades in terms of aggro management... of course fists do even better.

Btw, i didnt say i dont use Sword skills... you wont see me spamming them in PvP tho. Maybe atmos to send a nix to the underworld or as a finisher, or Myriad against a robe, and that's it.

dual blades do more base damage zerk is an add :p

dual blades hit a higher spike more consistantly than axes and atamos hits about as hard as drake bash (harder i beleive) and is semi spamable
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options

dual blades hit a higher spike more consistantly than axes and atamos hits about as hard as drake bash (harder i beleive) and is semi spamable

And again... for the 3rd time... if i want spike damage i switch to my axes. I don't need swords with spike damage and axes with spike damage too. So i use single-blade. And even tho the base damage is higher on dual-blades i deal more damage overall with singles... i checked it believe me. Even my wife, a cleric, the one with i spend a lot of the time beating the **** out of mobs, pointed out that fact.

Edit: Btw... yes, zerk is an add... an add that hits near 1/3 of the times, at least me... and that is huge with an 11% crit added. You can say the same about GXs... an add... and yet every Axe BM wants them... i wonder why.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    zerk is a 20% proc

thats 1 in 5

33% would be added 27% or so assuming overlap wich is basicly one shot (basing this of crit rate of 10%)

i wasent telling you how to play your charecter i was simply pointing out the flaws in the arguement

but now i will damit hotkey weapons flip between em for combos

for example hers a fun little axe sword stunlock spike combo

RotP > atomos > drake ray > drake sweep flip to axes mid skill > drake bash > draw blood or fan of flames > highland cleave > tiger maw > (optional alter marrow) > aleion blade (if it hits go again)

notice no time is wased in aftercasts and all swaping happens mid skill with a metric ton of spike + stunlock + dps

this is assuming demonized skills of course sadly for you lazy people due to weapon changes its unmacroable but meh w/e
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Point? No one's making you using NPC weapons so why does it matter that the "base" damage is higher when zerk is available to the single blade?

Dual blade is just the spike version of the sword weapons...

With all the weapons for BM, at the 2 extremes you have axes and fists with spike (highest weapon damage possible) and DPS, respectively. Polearms and swords fall in between with poles closer to axes. Then each type of weapon also breaks down by spike to DSP in their own category in the same fashion as the axes/hammer, polearm, swords and calw/fists, changing from spike to DPS. For example polebades are the spike weapons within polearm type.

So duel blade does not "spike" more consistently, they do less damage aka lower spikes more consistently, just like fists do even lower damage but even more consistently...

Same idea applies to Atmos. It'll hit more consistently than Bash but Bash still have the higher possible damage because the high end of the 100% weapon damage of axes is more than that of sword.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    what's the point of having berserk on swords (single or dual) after all?

I'd rather have it on a polearm so there's a decent chance of killing a kiting squishy. very decent skill for axes also.

for fast weapons, like swords and fists I'd rather have soul shatter or darken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    zerk is a 20% proc

thats 1 in 5

33% would be added 27% or so assuming overlap wich is basicly one shot (basing this of crit rate of 10%)

i wasent telling you how to play your charecter i was simply pointing out the flaws in the arguement

but now i will damit hotkey weapons flip between em for combos

for example hers a fun little axe sword stunlock spike combo

RotP > atomos > drake ray > drake sweep flip to axes mid skill > drake bash > draw blood or fan of flames > highland cleave > tiger maw > (optional alter marrow) > aleion blade (if it hits go again)

notice no time is wased in aftercasts and all swaping happens mid skill with a metric ton of spike + stunlock + dps

this is assuming demonized skills of course sadly for you lazy people due to weapon changes its unmacroable but meh w/e

Aaaaaand its still all Spike damage (4th time)... if i want only spike ill use only Axes, their spike is better and i dont have to bother switching. Btw, lazy? I prefer not to answer that... lets leave it at that... w/e. Not going to explain the same 5 times... i think i've made my point. And its also my way of playing my char.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Sage is really only good for Farstrike and vit/tw (support-oriented) builds. Demon is the only decent option if you really want to kill something as a BM.

And lol, swords are pretty useless. I've played together with a sword BM since like 7x, he cash shopped, got HH90+8 swords, even lunar blades. And then... he got himself HH90 zerk fists and GX. He hasn't equipped his lunar blades since then. Endgame swords are so worthless, Fists have much better DPS and Axes are a lot better thanks to drake bash, heaven's flame and the zerk.

Btw, if you ever want to kill other BMs and Barbs 1v1, you're gonna need demon triple spark.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Sage is really only good for Farstrike and vit/tw (support-oriented) builds. Demon is the only decent option if you really want to kill something as a BM.

I stopped reading at that point.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I stopped reading at that point.
    I wouldn't expect a lv90 on a pve server to know, lol. My guild leader is pretty much the best BM on my server, and what he does along with the things I see in vids from other versions pretty much convinces me demon is the way to go.
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I wouldnt expect less from a player that thinks that just because he plays on a PvP server, he knows more than anybody else...

My leader is... blah blah... go play BM and find it by yourself.... give me an opinion you experienced... otherwise im just going to skip it.

Maybe i dont have the same opinion than some other BM, that doesnt mean i dont respect his/her opinion. Each BM has a point depending on his/her playing style and i respect that (Joshcja, Kniraven and the other BMs that posted). So play BM and give me an opinion based on your playing style, not just based on some other person... that is... childish to say the least.

Ty for you time b:bye

Now lets get back into the topic and stop the flame, that is Kniraven's good sword BM guide, we pretty much needed one. Good job again.
  • ChaoticTears - Harshlands
    ChaoticTears - Harshlands Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    And lol, swords are pretty useless. I've played together with a sword BM since like 7x, he cash shopped, got HH90+8 swords, even lunar blades. And then... he got himself HH90 zerk fists and GX. He hasn't equipped his lunar blades since then. Endgame swords are so worthless, Fists have much better DPS and Axes are a lot better thanks to drake bash, heaven's flame and the zerk.

TT 90 Firelotus isnt the greatest sword out there no, but cant say "swords are usless" until you have fought someone with TT99 mirage scimitar (Accuracy +10%
    Berserk: Has a chance to make the character go berserk, during which physical attack doubles and the attack rate increases, but also increases damage taken.
    ).. they are seriously evil in the hands of a good BM
  • _Matrix_ - Dreamweaver
    _Matrix_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Clears some things up for me. Better be made a sticky, or it'll be hell trying to look things up as I level.

One thing I didn't find, is genie info. I used genies on my previous characters. I would like some info on that.
    ***** Cloud Sprint: Learned at Level 9. Get it. It's you're GTFO skill, your chase down them enemy skill, your hurry over and save the squishy skill, not to mention your God damn it sucks moving around the map; let's speed things up skill. Plus it is a prerequisite for one of the best BM skills you will get later.

That part I found kinda funny.
  • Foxymage - Harshlands
    Foxymage - Harshlands Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    this deserves a sticky
    -i was in the million dolla meetins he was cheatin. all up in the church, he was sneakin with the deacon. cats away while the mice will play lol smiley face have a nicer day. cuz pop pop po it goes my rubber band so stop stop stop sniffin that contraband. cuz you was penny pinchin my accounts laced attenion! about face.

~nicki minaj~
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    TT 90 Firelotus isnt the greatest sword out there no, but cant say "swords are usless" until you have fought someone with TT99 mirage scimitar (Accuracy +10%
    Berserk: Has a chance to make the character go berserk, during which physical attack doubles and the attack rate increases, but also increases damage taken.

So looking forward to try that mean sword... the increase of the damage taken kinda bugs me but i want to test it for sure. Zerk+increased attack rate sounds yummy... and that +10% in acc will definately help.
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Zerk Sword (90)
    Physical Attack 534-958
    Attack Rate: 1.11

Dual Swords (90)
    Physical Attack 863-1127
    Attack Rate: 0.91

They both give the same strength bonus. The Zerk Sword just has the added Zerk effect, which is a good thing because without it, it wouldn't even be an option. The dual swords have a +1% crit. The dual sword's minimum range is almost equal to the maximum of the single sword.
    The attack speed of the single sword simply isn't great enough to make up for the damage difference.

If you're going to normal attack, you may as well use fists. As for using axes when you want high damage skill, thats nice and all but your damage range is wider (which is why they are known for their spike damage bur inconsistent DPS) and the actual axe skills do less damage than the modifiers for the sword skills. Axes have AoE, which is great, but for a single target swords are the better choice.

As Josh said, they combo with each other pretty nicely too if you want really high damage.

And again... for the 3rd time... if i want spike damage i switch to my axes. I don't need swords with spike damage and axes with spike damage too. So i use single-blade. And even tho the base damage is higher on dual-blades i deal more damage overall with singles... i checked it believe me. Even my wife, a cleric, the one with i spend a lot of the time beating the **** out of mobs, pointed out that fact.

Edit: Btw... yes, zerk is an add... an add that hits near 1/3 of the times, at least me... and that is huge with an 11% crit added. You can say the same about GXs... an add... and yet every Axe BM wants them... i wonder why.

If you get zerk a lot then sure the single swords will do more damage and kill things faster, but only because you are zerking a lot, which is luck. >___> Also, Lol at ony 11% crit.
    Point? No one's making you using NPC weapons so why does it matter that the "base" damage is higher when zerk is available to the single blade?

Dual blade is just the spike version of the sword weapons...

With all the weapons for BM, at the 2 extremes you have axes and fists with spike (highest weapon damage possible) and DPS, respectively. Polearms and swords fall in between with poles closer to axes. Then each type of weapon also breaks down by spike to DSP in their own category in the same fashion as the axes/hammer, polearm, swords and calw/fists, changing from spike to DPS. For example polebades are the spike weapons within polearm type.

So duel blade does not "spike" more consistently, they do less damage aka lower spikes more consistently, just like fists do even lower damage but even more consistently...

Same idea applies to Atmos. It'll hit more consistently than Bash but Bash still have the higher possible damage because the high end of the 100% weapon damage of axes is more than that of sword.

Not everyone is level 90, and I haven't even gotten to the level 90 part of my guide yet because I am still experimenting with the dual swords vs. the zerk sword. Until level 90 though, for PvP the dual swords outright win. It is no contest. The difference in speed is too small and the difference in damage is great.

Atmos will hit more consistently than bash but bash does more damage..? Skills (with the exception of those that say they always hit) do not hit more consistently than one another and Atmos just plain deals more damage than bash does.

Atmos Strike (Sword) [lvl 10]
    A strike of incredible force, dealing base physical damage plus 100% of weapon damage plus 3416.9 and knocking the
    target back 18.0 meters.

Drake Bash (Axe) [lvl 10]
    Brandish your weapon menacingly and smash the opponent
    dealing base physical damage plus 100% of weapon damage plus 3296.1. Stuns the target for 6.0 seconds

Those are the two hardest hitting skills aside from the ulti's on the actual Axe and Sword trees. Not only does Atmos deal more damage, it doesn't cost a spark like Bash does and the cooldown is only half as long.

Next off... "Dual blade is just the spike version of the sword weapons..."
    Dual Blades have almost as much minimum attack as Single Blades have maximum. They aren't the spike weapon. They're the just plain higher damage weapon.

Lastly, this guide is not meant to convince people not to use other weapons. Endgame you should be using all of them. What it is here for is to help people make the best use of the sword path.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I really love this guide. It makes some excellent points. b:cute Good job man.
    Great guide. This should be stickied. Kniraven you are starting to persuade me to make a Sword BM alt.
    Clears some things up for me. Better be made a sticky, or it'll be hell trying to look things up as I level.

One thing I didn't find, is genie info. I used genies on my previous characters. I would like some info on that.

That part I found kinda funny.
    this deserves a sticky
    it took me 2mins to write a response, hate ninjas .__. anyway great guideb:victory
    Nice work! Thank you for a sword guide b:thanks
    b:cute He's all growed up

On Topic --> Nice Guide...its bright....lol <3
    Great guide, I just had 2 thoughts really. Now that we have the new bounty hunter daily quest, I don't think spirit is as much of a problem as it used to be. So I think all bms should go ahead and max draw blood, cuz it's a GREAT skill before level 60.

Also 5 str 5 dex every 2 levels is the same build I'm doing, but I'm actually gonna restat to 272 str rest into dex, because I feel like such a noob doing RB Delta with calamities lol.
    great guide
    Nice guide, I do like the high dex builds as well, even tho I am more hybrid then a pure sword build.
    Firstly, good job!

Thankyou so much guys. I'm so happy you appreciate the work I put into this.

I am currently experimenting with the Draw Blood skill, as many of you have told me it has great uses in like against a clerics shell. I need to play with it though so I can make sure I agree before I put it in my guide.

I am also adding a * to Physical Marrow, because it IS very good in PvE and this is indeed supposed to be a PvP/PvE guide. You still should not ever use it in PvP though because of the addition of genies.

Some time within the week I will add my personal genie reccomendation, which i hope people will not flip out about because there are so very many genies skill and a great number of working and exceptional skill combinations.

Lastly, I am still experimenting with the various HH90 weapons in order to decide which I feel is best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    ok a few uses for alter phys in pvp that i've found

can be spamed with alter maq if your fast to boost chi

you NEED this skill maxed to take advantace of the rediculous brokeness that balance can reach

for pve...

this skill makes a 7x bm able to tank just about any pure phys boss within 20 levels of them is IMO the 2nd most important skil for aoe

draw blood is only "good" in combo with winds

sorry dragon seekers are dual swords not blades typo >.<

my point still stands Kedth whats the point of being multipath if you gimp yourself with 1 weapon only combos. not an insult to you...those are below but learn to weapon change and youll be able to acess all 4 paths at once thats a lot of possibilities and can alow for crazyness on a grand scale

and i never acused you of macroing...nice to know you dob:chuckle

but hey im a nub 71 so hell if i know anything (soon to be 80...gonna get off me lazy **** n lvl i suppose) and your a super mega hax 90...yes we KNOW you use axes for spike and swords for dps but i was pointing out that combining the 2 weapons can give crazy spike chains

tired of 9x bm's not reading skills or taking the time to do math and stubornly sticking to some silly idea that axes are just a godly weapon above all others

b:cute wanna guess how long i've been at this lvl working on combos and skill lvls? (hint how much exp does it take to make 7 lvl 70 genies?)

stickie this guide and drunken chu's as well please (despite my initiall issues its turned out quite well nice work man)
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options

you NEED this skill maxed to take advantace of the rediculous brokeness that balance can reach

for pve...

this skill makes a 7x bm able to tank just about any pure phys boss within 20 levels of them is IMO the 2nd most important skil for aoe

my point still stands Kedth whats the point of being multipath if you gimp yourself with 1 weapon only combos. not an insult to you...those are below but learn to weapon change and youll be able to acess all 4 paths at once thats a lot of possibilities and can alow for crazyness on a grand scale

but hey im a nub 71 so hell if i know anything (soon to be 80...gonna get off me lazy **** n lvl i suppose) and your a super mega hax 90...yes we KNOW you use axes for spike and swords for dps but i was pointing out that combining the 2 weapons can give crazy spike chains

tired of 9x bm's not reading skills or taking the time to do math and stubornly sticking to some silly idea that axes are just a godly weapon above all others

b:cute wanna guess how long i've been at this lvl working on combos and skill lvls? (hint how much exp does it take to make 7 lvl 70 genies?)

stickie this guide and drunken chu's as well please (despite my initiall issues its turned out quite well nice work man)

Yes, using phy marrow then mag marrow for chi is something i do very often.
    I agree. I suppose I should add that tactic somewhere. You're also right that using phy before the genie skill balance does maximize it's effect. Though, tbh I can make a Triple Spark Demon Bids hit me for only 200 dmg with phy marrow at 4 and balance on a pure str genie. So I don't think maxing it is necessary. That's personal opinion though. I'd rather not have it on while grinding then be unexpectedly 1 shot by someone 10 levels lower than me.

And yeah. :/ Draw Blood doesn't seem to do much even at level 11 through a cleric's plume shell. I'm not too impressed. It does some slow damage that could easily be cured with a single ironheart or a HP pot. Maybe combined with winds as you said.

Thankyou for your support man. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    the draw blood + wind combo is at its best when 2+ bms are using it

can be usefull as hell in tw on a groups of robes

also just tested AMP from veno/dragons affects bleeds to its a metric ton of chi to burn but can knock off about 1/2 an archers hp

bm's unlike the other classes dont really have and "useless" skill just exedingly narrow ones the sole exeption i've found is fist 1 spark vacatious palm

even mage bane can be useful for its 100% hit rate as a finisher on condored archers or helping a bad barb cancle when myriad and shadow are in CD with a little extra chi
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Again, I've 1v1'd with two 99+ BMs very often and they agree swords suck for PvP, and Fists are obviously better than swords in PvE. Also, that sword you mentioned doesnt double your damage. It doubles your physical attack, and where have we heard that before? Dragon Bane. Your damage doesn't drop my half, just like this weapon effect proccing will not double damage. And have fun meleeing in pvp with your increased attackrate, you're pretty much just a cheap copy of a Fist BM using cyclone heel and zerk fists.

Also, I have played a BM, I've used a friend's Lv99 BM. He has all the demon sword skills along with most of the axe/fist skills. Killing someone with swords is so much more of a hassle it's not worth it.

Also, one thing about Draw blood; try using it on phoenixes/pets. DoT skills do decent damage to them, you might like it.
  • Sewagerat - Lost City
    Sewagerat - Lost City Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Kristoph.....................your sig is outdated :P

BTW, +10% accuracy is laughable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:shocked OMG HERB!!!!!!
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options

for pve...

Last post here, i DO switch weapons, i DO use sword skills mixed with Axe ones (i dont spam them tho), they have uses. As i said, atmos is a good finisher. I DO read the skills and DO NOT think Axes are a godly weapon... after all i played as a sword BM around 7x lvls.

I didn't mention your lvl either calling you nub or whatever... you won't see me doing that ever. And for the record.. you said you've spent a lot of time in your 7x's... well, i've spent a lot of time in my 8x's when i switched to multi-weapon. And tried and lvled everything that i found useful. You are not the only BM that does that ty... i know many.

@Kristoph... yeah, i can play a friend's 9x barb too, that doesnt mean im as good as him playing it... not even close.
This discussion has been closed.