Sage DB in RB Delta

Options
Slobby - Sanctuary
Slobby - Sanctuary Posts: 46 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Wizard
I have been told by demon wizards (unfortunately I don't know any sage wizards...) that sage DB in rb delta with the stun chance will cause all the aggro to fall upon the wizard. None of them have first hand knowledge though, because their all demon. So should I just skip the sage DB until I'm done with RBD? Or is the aggro draw not as bad as they believe?

I'm hoping from definitive answers from sage wizards who have first hand knowledge. Thanks for reading.

This is not a discussion as to weather sage db or demon db is better.
Post edited by Slobby - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have been told by demon wizards (unfortunately I don't know any sage wizards...) that sage DB in rb delta with the stun chance will cause all the aggro to fall upon the wizard. None of them have first hand knowledge though, because their all demon. So should I just skip the sage DB until I'm done with RBD? Or is the aggro draw not as bad as they believe?

I'm hoping from definitive answers from sage wizards who have first hand knowledge. Thanks for reading.

This is not a discussion as to weather sage db or demon db is better.

skip sage DB until after delta.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Ussichu - Sanctuary
    Ussichu - Sanctuary Posts: 429 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    From my sage wiz sources, do not get sage DB until after you're done delta. ALL MOBS WILL COME ON YOU
    Navarre was your everyday veno, until she learned her true form. Now she's fox walloping and purging over and over again.. all for a deep stinging, head hunting, wind pushing Assassin. Will there be inner harmony and myriad rainbows? But of course! Yuri&Lemon Find it on Fanfiction XD "Discovering Sanctuary" Chapter 2 is up ^_^
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    1) go heavy wiz
    2) use sage db
    3) ????
    4) profit?
  • Slobby - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    So is sage DB basically only useful in TW?
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Umm, you get agro when you use DB level 10 or level 11.

DB is basically the highest damaging skill in GV and the reason why you don't use DB anymore in waves 3+ is because if you do you'll die because you'll gain all agro. Its only safe to use DB towards the end of a wave when some mobs are dead.

One of my videos I put in wave 9 sped up quite a bit. I have level 10 DB, and at one point I open my DB and slowly all the mobs start coming to me to where I have to close and start moving around. If anything, having a stun chance is a hell of a lot better because you'll get hit less.

Now if you mean DB resets agro from like a WB roar or alpha male, then thats different. Its basically inevitable though that you will pull agro if you use DB in GV, level 10 or 11.

I believe LLama has sage DB and he has done a GV recently, and yes he did pass.
  • Slobby - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I currently have DB level 10. And I definitely do pull aggro during Delta. But not all of it. The way it was explained to me is that if Sage DB stunned a mob it would reset the aggro. If this were true, at 25% chance to stun, I would have almost every mob on me after 4 hits of DB. I wasn't sure if this is how Sage DB works.

Edit: I think its 20% actually... My points still the same though
  • Haiz - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Well you may have all the mobs on you, but also a fourth of the mobs should be stunned. So in a way, you are never actually tanking everything because some of them should always be stunned.

I'm not saying that stun resets agro, I'm just saying even if you did have the mobs on you, there will always be some that are stunned.
  • Reminissions - Sanctuary
    Reminissions - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    If barb is good enough, DB level 10 or 11 does not matter much in GV.
    I'm using level 11 DB during full GV if I'm lazy, and I still do it uncharmed, because my barb friend is good at his works o.o
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    from what ive seen, the sages here get it after theyre done doing delta
    demon DB in my eyes is pretty win though in delta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Jiblet - Sanctuary
    Jiblet - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I currently have DB level 10. And I definitely do pull aggro during Delta. But not all of it. The way it was explained to me is that if Sage DB stunned a mob it would reset the aggro. If this were true, at 25% chance to stun, I would have almost every mob on me after 4 hits of DB. I wasn't sure if this is how Sage DB works.

Edit: I think its 20% actually... My points still the same though

This is how it works, I'm robe sage wizzy and I have kept DB at lvl 10, I could see how it would be nice to have lvl 11 in TW but I still delta so I've held off training it.

BTW, there is no reason at all why you can't DB all waves (apart from the resists) in delta, as long as you are not completely squishy. you may need to drop the DB at some points for a few seconds but it's still the best way to go imho
  • BIackMagic - Heavens Tear
    BIackMagic - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    im LA with lvl 10 DB and ive done plenty of RBD with just setting up DB and with a penny jam on my DB hotkey and then gone to take a shower. (penny jam in case i get stunned/slept w/e my DB will go back up again). Either way im going to take aggro, but with a good enough barb and bm, the amount of aggro i have will be tiny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Stuns draw aggro, that's why sage DB is dangerous
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Stuns draw aggro, that's why sage DB is dangerous

lvl 10 DB draws aggro anyways from what Haiz says, and Haiz's word is golden b:dirty

Also, you wont be using DB throughout the whole RB. Since im completely nooby about this, i will leave it to someone else to explain
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    my lvl 10 DB takes aggro already x.x I always end up getting tele'd back to 1k on my first death... so I guess imma start using ults now :P
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Haiz - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Like I said, would you rather use level 10 DB and have them all attacking you? Or would you rather be using level 11 DB and then have 3/4 of them hitting you? If I had the book I'd learn it and I'd probably use DB a lot more often then just for the stun, just open it then close it. Can consider it a mini mountain seize for only one spark.
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    lvl 10 DB draws aggro anyways from what Haiz says, and Haiz's word is golden b:dirty

Also, you wont be using DB throughout the whole RB. Since im completely nooby about this, i will leave it to someone else to explain

Well, I am even more a noob in RB. Got once to stage 5, and failed twice at wave 1 because I got kicked to 1k streams. (BM let me tank the whole wave b:angry)

But what I meant is that stuns draw extra aggro.
    Personaly, I was thinking about not getting it myself because of this, but now that I hear these things, I might work for it (even though it'll be a looooong time before I'm there)
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Slobby - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I wish I could just give it a try. If only there was a way to switch it on and off lol.
  • Reminissions - Sanctuary
    Reminissions - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Feel like repeating..
    I'm using level 11 DB, and can let it open during the whole delta, does not matter because the barb is simply good at keeping aggro. Then again it relies on the barb. With a bad barb I can't do that <.<

But the fact that it's level 10 does not explain aggro draw. Your barb just suck at group aggro imo.
  • Jiblet - Sanctuary
    Jiblet - Sanctuary Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Lolz, for some reason I thought you were demon Remi xD

Whether db10 draws aggro or not depends on your build and gears compared to other party members, and is also not always a bad thing. As an arcane wizzy with 500+ Mag and a decent weapon I expect to draw aggro, but a few factors come into play depending on squad....

1 - Aggro swap between archer and Wizzy. If you can balance aggro between you it's a great way to make a run far far easier, just like zhen.

2 - The way that you gain aggro is as important as whether you get it or not. I work on the assumption that I'm going to be getting mob aggro during the wave, but making that happen in a smooth and progressive manner means the BM/Barb can time their skills more effectively.

3 - Weapon /eq choice. If i'm with a less experienced squad or a lower archer I swap down to a tt80 weapon to reduce my damage output, meaning I draw aggro slower, and may swap rings / tome to reduce damage and add extra HP/def.

This is just my viewpoint on this, basically whatever works for you is good as well:)
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    b:sweat
    can a sage wizzy or two with sage DB try this out for me....
    please? b:beg

go open up DB WITHOUT A WEAPON. that way we can see if it be the damage or the stun itself thats making teh mobs all angryish?
    and see if it still draws aggro. um...a video would be nice too.

yesh?
    b:thanks
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    1) go heavy wiz
    2) use sage db
    3) ????
    4) profit?

Lmao this cracked me up! You has a fan!b:laugh

Edit to avoid double posting:

go open up DB WITHOUT A WEAPON. that way we can see if it be the damage or the stun itself thats making teh mobs all angryish?

yesh?

The skill being level 11 does more damage which is what causes aggro in the first place. However, sage version draws even moar aggro because of the stuns on top of dishing out some srs dmg.

Oh and in your case, you would be generating minimal amounts of hate from the damage, but the stun would add its own fixed amount to the mobs hate-list. Whether it would be enough to actually cause you to get aggro depends on how high the rest of the squad is on its hate-o-meter (namely the barb).

Hope that made sense xD

Nao gimmi a hamstah pic <3
    b:dirty
  • VILKASS - Sanctuary
    VILKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'm using level 11 DB, and can let it open during the whole delta, does not matter because the barb is simply good at keeping aggro. Then again it relies on the barb. With a bad barb I can't do that <.<

No more buffs for Remi b:scorn
    Last edited by Ninnuam - Sanctuary; Today at 08:52 AM.
    Ninnin b:kiss found ya
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The skill being level 11 does more damage which is what causes aggro in the first place. However, sage version draws even moar aggro because of the stuns on top of dishing out some srs dmg.

Oh and in your case, you would be generating minimal amounts of hate from the damage, but the stun would add its own fixed amount to the mobs hate-list. Whether it would be enough to actually cause you to get aggro depends on how high the rest of the squad is on its hate-o-meter (namely the barb).

Hope that made sense xD

Nao gimmi a hamstah pic <3

it made sense! ish! (^.^)
    now
    yesh suh rawr~

so....it be safe to get DB level 11 sage? b:victory
    all me has to do is unequip me weapon like me already do when me sense danger?
    b:avoid
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Satchiko - Dreamweaver
    Satchiko - Dreamweaver Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

yesh?
    I have sage DB and admittedly I haven't tried it unarmed. What I have done is used a +0 general summer's sword (supply box level 50 weapon) and as a bonus I took my rings off. I still pulled all the aggro over a level 101 archer with a +8 TT99 bow who was using demon barrage. Trust me, the problem with the skill isn't the damage increase it's the fact that it causes mass stuns every time it does damage. To add further insult the stuns only last two seconds and since DB ticks every three seconds the skill will not cause melee monsters to attack slower. All sage DB does is cause the user to become a giant aggro magnet and dissuade anybody from ever wanting to delta with you.

EDIT: Attempted a delta run for that one Wraith's Ploy quest and thought I'd give being weaponless a shot:
    SageDB.jpg
    As you can see all the monsters still attack me instead of the archer. Which says a lot when the archer is rolling with this:
    SageDB2.jpg
  • VILKASS - Sanctuary
    VILKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I have sage DB and admittedly I haven't tried it unarmed. What I have done is used a +0 general summer's sword (supply box level 50 weapon) and as a bonus I took my rings off. I still pulled all the aggro over a level 101 archer with a +8 TT99 bow who was using demon barrage. Trust me, the problem with the skill isn't the damage increase it's the fact that it causes mass stuns every time it does damage. To add further insult the stuns only last two seconds and since DB ticks every three seconds the skill will not cause melee monsters to attack slower. All sage DB does is cause the user to become a giant aggro magnet and dissuade anybody from ever wanting to delta with you.

EDIT: Attempted a delta run for that one Wraith's Ploy quest and thought I'd give being weaponless a shot:
    SageDB.jpg
    As you can see all the monsters still attack me instead of the archer. Which says a lot when the archer is rolling with this:
    SageDB2.jpg

b:embarrass ouch... I heard about this problem before... but never actually had a wizy with sage db yet to see how bad it is... rarely take wizes.

=.= really sorry for you.
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

Ninnin b:kiss found ya

Omg LOL b:surrender

*puts on a tinfoil hat*
    b:dirty
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Thank for give us your example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options

SageDB.jpg
    SageDB2.jpg

I'll have to remember to wait on my Sage DB b:shocked

P.S. ~ Just curious.. .but why is that barb in humanoid form? b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tutty - Lost City
    Tutty - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Stuns pull abnormal amounts of aggro. With any decently refined weapon if you keep sage DB up at all times you will die. Even in full +8 armor/adorns, it will happen.
  • Slobby - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Options
    So much great information in this thread. Thank you all for your answers. You've made my descision easy.