Security

Options
Lilxifire - Harshlands
Lilxifire - Harshlands Posts: 32 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Suggestion Box
Ok so my email got **** yesterday, I tried to recover it like 3 times in a row and failed, It holds my pw details etc.
Luckily I managed to get it back.
Unfortunately after contacting a GM I got told they are not accepting email changes.

My idea is to impliment an email change via pw security answer to add the ultimate security.
Not everyone is 100% safe on the internet, but with this idea it would be really beneficial.

Please post feedback on how this will NOT be beneficial, otherwise I hope this will be approved.
Post edited by Lilxifire - Harshlands on

Comments

• Lilxifire - Harshlands
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Anyone wanna comment? lol :P
  • bubbles911
    bubbles911 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Your email account probably wasn't "****" that really doesnt happen alot...you probably just told someone how to access your email account and they changed your password, it's your own fault.
  • Hagrid - Dreamweaver
    Hagrid - Dreamweaver Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    bubbles911 wrote: »
    Your email account probably wasn't "****" that really doesnt happen alot...you probably just told someone how to access your email account and they changed your password, it's your own fault.

Unfortunately emails can and do get "****." As a Computer Tech I have had to deal with quite a few email accounts that have been "****." It could be possible that the user has a "keylogger" on his/her computer as well as "spyware" and someone was able to detect his/her password.

I agree that PWI needs to come up with stronger security measures to prevent accounts from being ****. I play another RPG and in order to change your password on that game you MUST send in an email from the original email used to register the account. When the other game initiated that, their support tickets for "****" accounts dropped considerably. They also initiated a security question on the account in order for the user to change any details on the account. Again something PWI needs to do.
  • Foxgrit - Lost City
    Foxgrit - Lost City Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Unfortunately emails can and do get "****." As a Computer Tech I have had to deal with quite a few email accounts that have been "****." It could be possible that the user has a "keylogger" on his/her computer as well as "spyware" and someone was able to detect his/her password.

I agree that PWI needs to come up with stronger security measures to prevent accounts from being ****. I play another RPG and in order to change your password on that game you MUST send in an email from the original email used to register the account. When the other game initiated that, their support tickets for "****" accounts dropped considerably. They also initiated a security question on the account in order for the user to change any details on the account. Again something PWI needs to do.

there is a security question feature on PWI. you need it to change the password. doesnt matter if someone has your email. without the security question they cant change the pass. also the security question cant be changed.

using your method if someone "****" your email they would be able to change all info on the game. the way it is currently having someones email is useless.

think before you respond next time please.
  • Hagrid - Dreamweaver
    Hagrid - Dreamweaver Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    there is a security question feature on PWI. you need it to change the password. doesnt matter if someone has your email. without the security question they cant change the pass. also the security question cant be changed.

using your method if someone "****" your email they would be able to change all info on the game. the way it is currently having someones email is useless.

think before you respond next time please.

I see that now. Was trying to make a point to the other user that an email account can be ****
  • Lilxifire - Harshlands
    edited November 2009
    Options
    bubbles911 wrote: »

If I was that stupid then maybe.
    If you actually looked at how many "****" reports there is for emails then maybe you'd think again.
    Fox, if you think a keylogger took all information "including" your PW security answer then you are pretty screwed wouldn't you think?

I think it would be pretty bad if you played and didn't have an email to confirm anything lol, could you imagine it?
    You can't confirm anything to buy Zen, you can't send a ticket because your email is **** etc.

There is nothing wrong as a paying member we want "worry-free security" ofcourse I don't get this with PW.

How about to recover password you'd need the following info-

ID:
    Secret Question "ofcourse this will be filled out already"
    Secret Answer:
    E-mail:

For finding lost user account-

First Name:
    Last Name:
    E-mail:

Allow us to make personal profiles "can be edited at any time", email changes "can be edited with PW security answer" , and add a one-off email verification "once email is verified it cannot be undone'.
  • Sandaili - Dreamweaver
    Sandaili - Dreamweaver Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Here's a problem: you have your own email at your own domain name. You have a problem with the transfer, or you get sick and don't get it renewed.

There goes your email address. FOREVER.

I was sick and my domain name I used for years was up for grabs. Like the millions of other domain names that get grabbed, mine was taken, and held for "ransom" for the discounted price of $7,000. Gee, that's nice.

For people like me who use their own personal email, we need to have a way to change our email addresses in case things like this happen. It should be enough to just verify that you hold the credit card that has paid through Paypal or the cash shop, or copy of drivers license, ID, etc.

On the issue of "hacking" - Hotmail is one of the most **** email services along with AIM. True, it is completely random most times and not widespread, really, but it can happen, esp. if a friend knows how (won't go into that crud here, and it's not "hacking") and wants your account or wants to try to check your email or get back at you for something. Weak passwords are the only reason someone is going to be able to "****" your account, which again, is not hacking.
  • Lilxifire - Harshlands
    edited November 2009
    Options
    jeez sounds like you got it worse than I do lol
    yea my hotmail account was '****' think my ex-girlfriend done it out of spite lol
    the idea is to make a completely random email like "abc12333333@hotmail.com etc and use it for pw purposes only'
    that way it would be much secure, unfortunately I didn't think of this b:angry lol

anyways im glad you posted b:victory
  • hajipe
    hajipe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Options
    just start new account
  • DraGon__ - Raging Tide
    DraGon__ - Raging Tide Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    hey guys i am feeling really bad these days ...my account got **** and my gears and stuff were stolen ,,,, i still cnt change my pass ... becox i forgot my answer .... i been sending soo many tickets still i dnt have the answer ,, i keep losing stuff ... GM is nt givin me the answer.. wot should i do nw ...wait ...or leave the game :(
  • Grippieluver - Lost City
    Grippieluver - Lost City Posts: 9,807 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    necro... plz check the post dates
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thankiez to Dorset for the sig!

MagicHamsta will remain in our hearts forever

P.S. I am a female venomancer ^^ I know it's rare, isn't it?