Clerics get asked instead of Barbarian

Danikovich - Heavens Tear
Danikovich - Heavens Tear Posts: 125 Arc User
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
Very curious thing I have been noticing, when particularly asked if the cleric will be alright solo healing a boss, everybody asks the Cleric not the Barbarian. That's very curious in my humble opinion. Maybe I'm tripping or maybe I have a point, what do you guys think?
Like they say in my country:
When you are too smart, smartness eats you up.
Post edited by Danikovich - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Morganna - Lost City
    Morganna - Lost City Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    The cleric has to know how to solo heal a boss. Usually, clerics also know what levels can tank that boss. I'll usually check the level and HP of the barb before I agree. Certain tough bosses require group heals, purifies, and ironhearting. Solo healing those is a matter of having a cleric that is on their feet. Some clerics will openly admit that they are not.

EDIT: oops, you'd know those bosses. Sorry, I went into newbie support mode. It's default mode by now!! :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Your multi-tasking, Stephanie, is EPIC." --Aadi
    --DISCLAIMER--"the precceding post is only the opinion of Morganna and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything" THANK YOU Xeian <3
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Morg's right, there's more to a boss than just the "Can the IHing cover it". I know some clerics who don't have a fast reaction time, so they're better off saying they can't handle BH69 alone and bringing another cleric to purify. Plus, if someone asks the barb "Can you tank 69 with one cleric?" and the barb says yes and the cleric has level 1 purify, what happens...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Morg's right, there's more to a boss than just the "Can the IHing cover it". I know some clerics who don't have a fast reaction time, so they're better off saying they can't handle BH69 alone and bringing another cleric to purify. Plus, if someone asks the barb "Can you tank 69 with one cleric?" and the barb says yes and the cleric has level 1 purify, what happens...?

nothing if the barb is 90+ D:
    no need for purify xD

-- i get your point
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Umm no matter how good the tank and others I always ask the cleric if theyre upto it. If for some reason, they are not upto the task (maybe sluggish that day/bad internet connection/some other reason) the rest of us need to adapt accordingly or get another cleric to support should the current one be unable to do it at that time.

I have played the tank in all other games before PW (here I wanted a change :P), and no matter our skill/equips we are only as good as the support we receive from the cleric. Even if we could tank the boss, without the heals its gonna be troublesome (charms, pots, etc)

I rather have the reason sooner than after everyone dies <.<

Atleast this is how/why I do. I usually trust the tanks to do their job well since thats what theyve been doing all this time. However a cleric's role is more complex and they need to use different strats with different people.
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    It goes both ways. A squad can fail without a good cleric but it can also fail without a good barb. I solo healed a fb69 when i was 69-70 but we had a really good barb. I was also in a fb69 squad wipe when we had a 8x cleric besides me.
    Some of it goes back to bh/oracle lvlers that dont understand the game dynamics anymore or don't quite get how to play their own class and look at a cleric as the guardian angel of the squad that makes them invincible (if the cleric is good enough nothing else matters...which just isnt true). I would hope given your lvl that the squads you would want to be in would understand the game but i've been proven wrong on that before. As a cleric I know about what lvl barb I need to do a given boss. I also have a 60 barb and I know what he can take with what lvl cleric. In a fb/bh squad you cant have 1 without the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    nothing if the barb is 90+ D:
    no need for purify xD

-- i get your point

Come to LC and tank my BHs then b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    It is... usually up to whether the cleric can outheal. But not always. I've had a couple of times where I've been surprised by the barb's low defence and even when we got a second really high level cleric, the barb kept dying (which was when we figured out it wasn't the cleric's fault)

So yeah, check your barb too.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Very curious thing I have been noticing, when particularly asked if the cleric will be alright solo healing a boss, everybody asks the Cleric not the Barbarian. That's very curious in my humble opinion. Maybe I'm tripping or maybe I have a point, what do you guys think?

Your jobs it to take hits, our job is to heal. If you are sure that you can take hits on a boss and say "i can tank", then cleric can also say " i can solo heal".

And tbh, only reason why there is a need for the 2nd cleric, is to save up on charms/pots and so that you can afk from time to time.
    b:dirty
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I know some clerics who don't have a fast reaction time, so they're better off saying they can't handle BH69 alone and bringing another cleric to purify.

Imo its always safer to bring two clerics for 69. Just cause I prefer having one cleric spam IH and the others doing purify and chromatic. Thats pretty safe, I dont like risks lol

And I count myself to those clerics mentioned above. Theres days I just cant concentrate and and even then I *can* solo heal 69 but.. its a pain and it costs nerves. Cause then I really suck at timing purify.
    So if I got a bad day Id rather ask for a second cleric.

As for barbs..
    Ive had an 80ish barb nearly dying at pyrostesis already. I spammed iron on him, normally I dont need to, I can attack a lot there. At the other two the two wizzies had to help me healing cause the barb had like no defense at all b:shocked
    So yeah, it depends a lot on barbs too. Thats why I say, insist on killing pyro. Youll get a feeling for that special barbs def.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Come to LC and tank my BHs then b:cute

Heartstone is 500% carebear but I can come and DD. I don't think i get BH69's anymore though =(
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Kawakami - Dreamweaver
    Kawakami - Dreamweaver Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2009

I only experienced your situation the other way around, I never saw anyone asking if the Cleric can do something alone.. So far I think most people I met expect that I can handle it, or they already know a Cleric CAN do something alone, but this is completely disregarding the Cleric's abilities and the tanking capabilities of a tank.
    Few people make mistakes with fire after being once burned, of people who regard water lightly many have been drowned - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    i dun see problem- it s actualy ok that ppz ask bout stuff like that :3
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282