On Rat Packs, Achievment & The Market

omph
omph Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
May I begin this thread by first acknowledging the genius of selling online products. It is, by all accounts, a very beautiful thing, for the marketers. However, as my own personal opinion, this is threatening the integrity of not only the game itself, but the players. I bring to the fore the old concept of 'cost and worth'.

There is ofcourse, in this realm of MMORPG, only one sort of value. And that is, ones satisfaction in reaching any self-set goal. This satisfaction is ultimately the feeling of achievment after having worked hard to accomplish something. This is, I suppose, an old argument, which will have, old responses. I acknowledge that people live real lives, they interact with other physical beings, instead of avatars, and their avatar lives suffer, or fall behind, in the Perfect World. What I mean is, I know that people will pay money to catch up to those that have more time to play, or who have time to play and spend money. It is their right, and I see no problem with it.

I believe there are two types of people who play this game. Essentially 2 different people can reach the same level of play, lets take an extreme example. [removed] (a player who payed around 20,000$'s) and myself (around 300$'s). Theoretically if I played this game for a very, very long time I could reach [removed] level of play. But lets be honest, it would take years, and that's no exageration. But ask yourself a question, who would you respect more? And I'm not talking about the respect that makes you Holy Path in the opposite direction in a TW cause he's bombing down lane B. I mean inside that cage of bone underneath your skin, you recognize something that money can't buy, you recognize achievment. This is not to say that [removed] is unworthy of some sort of praise, but really, 20,000$'s? (and thats just a low estimate)

You know, anytime you see a lvl 90+ free-playing character, that they've been all across the Perfect World and back, they've been in every event, they've participated in every dungeon, done every quest, know's their role in a squad and everyone elses to the nines. In this Perfect World, that is something to admire, because, it's an achievment. It earns ones respect.

The essential problem is the divestment of achievment. Developers made drop rates, they made different monsters to do so, but then they sell you the items those drops create, or better ones. Ofcourse, you're going to buy them, ofcourse you're going to be tempted, but then, will you ever see those mobs or monsters? Did you even want to? Or did you want it to be easier? That much easier?

Its like playing a game and cheating, although that is a somewhat strong example, I do not equate buying gold with cheating, I am merely using it as an example. When one plays a game, and they cheat, they quickly find that the game is boring, or at least, I do.

Did you want to have to gather the material to manufacture that 90+ gear? Did you want to scratch up all that 35,000 rep to get lvl 6 rep gear?

For those who answer yes, well there's good news, the game will cater to your needs, you will always have an instance to run, you will always have mobs to grind. But if you want to TW, and win, bad news, that's reserved for paying customers.

For those who answer no, well there's good news, the game will cater to your needs, you will always have an anniversary pack to open, another endgame item to reap. And there's no bad news, except perhaps, the fact that there will be another player who spends more then you, there will be a player who plays longer than you, and there will always be something you have to buy. Not to mention that the Territory Map will be dominated.

This game, even suggested by its name, is an escape. An escape from the real world into a perfect one. As gamers we escape to relax, to stimulate, but most importantly to escape. There is very little difference between drugs and mmorpgs, or rather, mmorpg sold items meant to increase character performance. There will be a burst of joy, followed by a grinding slow. Money invested into PWI does one thing, it turns on a sort of nitrus oxide, it blasts your character ahead of other players, but then it slows down as you put that money into your character and realize that you've got a new goal to achieve.

Essentially, one feels like they must escape the escape. Because it is no longer a relaxing experience, it does not provide a sense of achievment, and it is revealed for what it truely is, a market, and not a game. A market that defines its own demands by controlling its own supply and setting its own prices.

Feel free to have at me! I've got my fire extinguisher!
Post edited by omph on

Comments

• Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    i agree with this 100%

pwi isnt what it used to be.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    i agree with this 100%

pwi isnt what it used to be.

^ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    i Agree With This 100%

Pwi Isnt What It Used To Be.

+2 ............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    Xeian - Dreamweaver Posts: 720 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    pwi has become more of a camp and cashcow, more than an MMORPG, even in the short time I've been here, I've seen more lvl 90s than lower levels, and I know a good percentage of them were done via oricles, but I'm playing the game, I will EARN my levels. I have a 64 veno and a 29 (at the moment) wizard. and I don't oricle grind them, I grind out mobs like it was meant to be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morganna - Lost City
    Morganna - Lost City Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Agreed. It's a sad, sad truth. I have used 5 oracles in my whole pwi career. I might be higher level if I actually did BH like a good little cleric, though. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Your multi-tasking, Stephanie, is EPIC." --Aadi
    --DISCLAIMER--"the precceding post is only the opinion of Morganna and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything" THANK YOU Xeian <3
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    yea, I'm on the same basic level on oricles that you re, but mine just seem to drop for me lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morganna - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    yea, I'm on the same basic level on oricles that you re, but mine just seem to drop for me lol

Even if they dropped, I likely would sell them. I owe my mom a rather large sum of money b:cry

Now taking donations for the 'free Morganna from debt!!' fund!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    --DISCLAIMER--"the precceding post is only the opinion of Morganna and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything" THANK YOU Xeian <3
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    I bought all my stuff myself, I own a friend for a hammer though..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • argetlam5
    argetlam5 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    wise words omph.

While players keep falling for it pwi will keep getting excuses to sell anniv stuff during 3 months+ and black friday stuff during 1 month+

Christmas is coming. it will last till easter quite probably. and then easter.

i can already see the new Xmas packs giving some made-up stuff
    and easter...
    and independence-day-packs..
    and july-packs...
    and...
    and pwi-burying-itself packs.
  • Rusilka - Harshlands
    Rusilka - Harshlands Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Unfortunatelly U are pretty right ;/
    I would cry when I saw 700k for 1 gold today ;O!
    I remember when I was buying gold for 100k per one and thought it too expensive... PLZ COME BACK!
    Now I have less entertainment from PWi ;/
  • Collapse - Harshlands
    Collapse - Harshlands Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Altho you bring up very valid points, the truth of the matter is the company doesnt care about what you bring up. They monetize competition, peer pressure, and alot of other things. Competition is what we see being exploited thru the anniversary packs. If someone spends money and gets a rare item or even goes as far to buy 8jun, then other players feel that they need to do just as good, if not better (Putting a price tag on achievement) . The whole revenue model is genius, in my opinion. The sad part is people like you do not fit into the equation. From the business peoples point of view, they can stand to lose you, so as long as they have people buying their items, they are successful. If they should fail, well they have a whole slew of half assed games with a cash shop to throw into the market, hopefully attracting more big spenders ;|
    Currently playing : |||| Waiting for:
    Allods |||||| G.W.2
    GW
    Bloodline Champions
  • Morganna - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Watch out, Collapse! Even you are not immune to spoons banhammer. He pm'd me once about making such claims b:surrender Now I'll just have to keep it to MSN and email.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Collapse - Harshlands
    edited November 2009
    Watch out, Collapse! Even you are not immune to spoons banhammer. He pm'd me once about making such claims b:surrender Now I'll just have to keep it to MSN and email.

IS the forum not a free place to state opinions? Altho the game is made in China, most players live in the USA; we are not a censor'ing crazy communism
    Allods |||||| G.W.2
    GW
    Bloodline Champions
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    unfortunatly though, Collapse is right
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Raydoit - Sanctuary
    Raydoit - Sanctuary Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    THIS is exactly the reason hardcore people stay away from FTP mmos. Look at atlantica online (another ftp mmo). It got quite popular and got extremely cash shop oriented and went so far as to advertising products on their homepage. For some reason when a ftp mmo gets very popular it starts to get so money hungry that the hunger can never be filled. In the end ftp mmos cost a hell of a lot more than ptp. If you play for free the only way you can get half as good as a player who CS abuses is to obsess over the mmo and spend all your free time on it. It was just this summer when PW was normal since august it has just gotten so so......not good xD

I finally understand why there is so much prejudice against ftp mmos in the hardcore crowd. Before ya know it pw's homepage will have pop ups and advertisements on it. One such as myself would have to be insane to think pw will change back to what it used to be. If you think about it, it would be insane for pw to change back considering how much they are getting from this. It is growing extremely fast but the quality of the game has worsened so much to the point that its unrepairable. They are rushing people to level up and they are selling extremely rare items and gear. Wonder what their plans are for the future? I'm sure it will be a rinse and repeat process for years to come.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

See its black and white now. It means I quit! How poetic and stuff.
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    unless everyone leaves first, then we're all out what used to be a good game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morganna - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    IS the forum not a free place to state opinions? Altho the game is made in China, most players live in the USA; we are not a censor'ing crazy communism

If you say mean things, they'll ban you for 'blanket accusations' even if they're totally correct.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Pay2Win International ftw!!! b:victory
  • Collapse - Harshlands
    edited November 2009
    It is growing extremely fast but the quality of the game has worsened so much to the point that its unrepairable. They are rushing people to level up and they are selling extremely rare items and gear. Wonder what their plans are

For this refer to this
    If they should fail, well they have a whole slew of half assed games with a cash shop to throw into the market, hopefully attracting more big spenders
    If you say mean things, they'll ban you for 'blanket accusations' even if they're totally correct.

Im not accusing anyone tho lol. Im simply commenting on how the system works and how incredibly simple-yet-genius it is. Maybe i should start putting a disclaimer or something on my posts xD
    Allods |||||| G.W.2
    GW
    Bloodline Champions
  • Morganna - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    I'm not accusing anyone tho lol. Im simply commenting on how the system works and how incredibly simple-yet-genius it is. Maybe i should start putting a disclaimer or something on my posts xD

Yeah, just warning you. I was quite annoyed to find that, when I spoke the truth, I got a warning. Figured it'd be better coming from Morganna than from a GM. It's a little less aggravating that way b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    "the precceding post is only the opinion of <name> and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything"

sound about right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morganna - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    "the precceding post is only the opinion of <name> and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything"

sound about right?

Yes!! Can I steal it?? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xeian - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    Yes!! Can I steal it?? :D
    feel free, tis why I wrote it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Collapse - Harshlands
    edited November 2009
    feel free, tis why I wrote it

:D...........
    Allods |||||| G.W.2
    GW
    Bloodline Champions
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited November 2009

I know 2 players who where temporarily banned for writing something like you wrote up there.

This forum is a private space, and they can run it as they want... No freedom of speech apply here.

We have some leeway, but some lines we must not cross ^_^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    The following thread will be the main sale discussion thread, all duplicate threads will be locked and redirected.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=525202
This discussion has been closed.