How to make a infinite-loop macro!

Options
Alexeno - Sanctuary
Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Disclaimer: I already performed a quick search, everything is outdated. So I'm making this short post in the hopes to keep the knowledge of this function available.

It's actually quite simple, once you get past the mistranslated loop function. The button that has the curved arrow and says "Walk behind target" is actually the "Loop Macro" function. To use it properly to allow for an infinitely looping macro, you place the loop function in the first macro slot, then place the skill chain after that.

Sidenote- the sword icon "Attack" performs a single normal melee weapon attack. If you use it as the last part of the macro, it will initiate standard melee auto-attacking on the target.

Here's a couple examples of loop macros:

LoopFunc -> Skill 1 -> Skill 2 -> Skill 3
When you use the macro, will perform Skill 1, followed by Skill 2, followed by Skill 3. It will then repeat itself.

LoopFunc -> Skill 1 -> Skill 2 -> Attack
When you use the macro, will perform Skill 1, followed by Skill 2, followed by a single normal melee attack. It will then repeat itself.

Hope this helps everyone b:pleased
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
Post edited by Alexeno - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    lol at least this will help on bosses b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    lol at least this will help on bosses b:victory

LoopFunc -> Heal Pet -> Venomous Scarab

infinite heal loop for venos b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I could never get a heal macro right...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I could never get a heal macro right...

LoopFunc -> Ironheart -> Ironheart -> Ironheart

-or-

LoopFunc -> Ironheart -> PlumeShot

....or you could use my personal auto-heal macro that makes [good] barbs invulnerable b:embarrass

LoopFunc -> Stream of Rejuv -> Ironheart -> Ironheart -> Ironheart -> Ironheart -> Ironheart

b:sweat

on the ironheart strings, it will use the first one, skip the second, use the third, skip the fourth, etc....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Hm...My macro is:

Loop > IH > IH > IH

First time I tried -- One heal, stopped.

Second time I tried -- Two heals, stopped.

Third time I tried -- One heal, stopped.

Am I missing something here...?

Got it to work for maybe 15 seconds with fours IHs...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • Falcondance - Heavens Tear
    Falcondance - Heavens Tear Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Maybe the macro's moving too fast for the cooldown?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I always thought I'd be the only one doing crazy things for people who would never care enough to do it back or to act like idiots or be entirely vulnerable, and making someone fall in love with you is easy, and flying 3000 miles on four days notice because you can't just sit there and do nothing and breathe into telephones is not everyone's idea of love, but it is the way I can recognize it because that is what I do."
    Sig pic by Nowitsawn
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Hm...My macro is:

Loop > IH > IH > IH

First time I tried -- One heal, stopped.

Second time I tried -- Two heals, stopped.

Third time I tried -- One heal, stopped.

Am I missing something here...?

Got it to work for maybe 15 seconds with fours IHs...

what is your combined -%chan?

all my cleric-based loops were based on -42%chan. i can simulate anything under that if necessary :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Maybe the macro's moving too fast for the cooldown?

According to Alexeno the idea was just to skip every other heal, and move on, and by then the cooldown was over. But for some reason that doesn't work...I really don't understand how it decides when to cast and when not to, because it cast different amounts of times for the same macro when I tried to replicate my results.

Edit: @Alexeno: 3%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    According to Alexeno the idea was just to skip every other heal, and move on, and by then the cooldown was over. But for some reason that doesn't work...I really don't understand how it decides when to cast and when not to, because it cast different amounts of times for the same macro when I tried to replicate my results.

Edit: @Alexeno: 3%.

macros work like this:

cast skill 1, cast skill 2, cast skill 3, etc... there is no cooldown check between casts. it will cast the first ironheart, then immediately cast the second. the first will not have had a chance to cooldown, so it skips the second cast, and goes to the third

with only -3%chan, your cooldowns basically aren't reduced at all, so you will need to socket more than just 3 ironhearts in a row (you should also test putting a "placeholder" in the first slot after the loop command, like stream of rejuv or wellspring surge)

one other thing, the macro is based client-side. so your personal lag affects the macro. hence, if you get a lag-spike, it could compromise your formerly perfect macro by causing the next skill in the macro chain to cast later than intended (BM stunlock marco's suffer the most from this)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    macros work like this:

cast skill 1, cast skill 2, cast skill 3, etc... there is no cooldown check between casts. it will cast the first ironheart, then immediately cast the second. the first will not have had a chance to cooldown, so it skips the second cast, and goes to the third

with only -3%chan, your cooldowns basically aren't reduced at all, so you will need to socket more than just 3 ironhearts in a row (you should also test putting a "placeholder" in the first slot after the loop command, like stream of rejuv or wellspring surge)

one other thing, the macro is based client-side. so your personal lag affects the macro. hence, if you get a lag-spike, it could compromise your formerly perfect macro by causing the next skill in the macro chain to cast later than intended (BM stunlock marco's suffer the most from this)

1.) If a skill is not cooled down when it reaches that point of the macro, the entire macro stops. It wont 'skip' to the next skill.

2.) Channeling does not affect cooldowns at all. Also, if we apply your logic (of it skipping) then faster channeling would be worse because there is even less time for skills to become 'cooled down'.

3.) Actually, if you lag a bit, it might be better for a chain macro consisting of the same skills. If you have minimum lag, the skills would automatically be casted (because of the macro) once the previous skill is used, but the CD denies casting the particular skill. If there is a bit of lag, the skill MIGHT just have a longer delay of casting, allowing the skill to cool down.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    1.) If a skill is not cooled down when it reaches that point of the macro, the entire macro stops. It wont 'skip' to the next skill.
    then why does my healing macro work? stream>iron>iron>iron>iron>iron
    2.) Channeling does not affect cooldowns at all. Also, if we apply your logic (of it skipping) then faster channeling would be worse because there is even less time for skills to become 'cooled down'.
    with my -42%chan, that would mean that it would need to skip 3-4 ironhearts (at least) before the cooldown ends, however it only skips 1-2 (depending on lag)
    3.) Actually, if you lag a bit, it might be better for a chain macro consisting of the same skills. If you have minimum lag, the skills would automatically be casted (because of the macro) once the previous skill is used, but the CD denies casting the particular skill. If there is a bit of lag, the skill MIGHT just have a longer delay of casting, allowing the skill to cool down.
    a person should NEVER make a chain that depends on this however, because lag is extremely unreliable factor

answers above in red
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• _Baalbak_ - Dreamweaver
    _Baalbak_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure why it works for you and not for others. Regardless of -channeling %, you still have to wait for the cool down before casting again. all that the -% channeling does is allow the skill to reach the "cast" stage quicker.

from what I've noticed it goes:
    press button: channel begins
    channel ends: cast and cool down begin simultaneously.

IHB has a cast AND cool down time of 1 second. theoretically it should work since your cast stage is finished at the exact moment it supposedly cools down, thus you should be able to immediately begin channeling the next IHB.

Lloyd is correct in saying that when a macro hits a skill that is still on cool down (or does not have enough chi or mana to perform) it simply stops and does not continue, does not skip skills at all. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that this is accurate information, as I've had it happen to me several times on my veno and barb while testing different macro strings.

I've tested IHB on loop macro with just one IHB, it stops after the first. I've tested with two IHB icons sometimes it does 1, sometimes it does two, and once it did 3 (successfully doing the first loop and beginning again). But never went beyond that. If we assume it "skips" the second one - it should be restarting from the first IHB every time if you only have two icons there. Two is all you should need if the skills really did skip (which they do not). What you're saying is:

Perform First - Skip Second - Perform Third - Skip Fourth - Perform First etc etc etc.
    Should be the same as:
    Perform First - Skip Second - Perform First - etc etc etc.

but that's not the way it works

Venomancers have much the same issue when trying to macro (even without a loop) venomous scarab. I've once put the whole macro to do venomous scarbs. It would do 3 or 4 sometimes, other times it would just do one or 2. This skill is the same as IHB (timing wise) - has both 1 second cooldown, and one second cast. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I wouldn't bet my life (or a barbs life) on an IHB macro that may decide to quit working at any moment while I'm off in the bathroom.b:surrender
  • SpitBlood - Dreamweaver
    SpitBlood - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    wait? this game has macros???
    b:angry
  • Lady - Harshlands
    Lady - Harshlands Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

then why does my healing macro work? stream>iron>iron>iron>iron>iron...oh right, it doesn't.

with my -42%chan, that would mean that it would need to skip 3-4 ironhearts (at least) before the cooldown ends, however it only skips 1-2 (depending on lag). I made this up because channeling has no effect on cooldowns, end of story.

a person should NEVER make a chain that depends on this however, because lag is extremely unreliable factor, but I am still a troll that's full of ****.

fixed it for you.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options

Teehee level 49 centetric b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

b:chuckle I know....lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    ill have to try the iron heart out.
    altho 42% channeling would

1) make me uber squishy cause id have to swap it with my pdef gears.
    2) channeling over 35% will make ironheart 'glitch' in which there are times that cast>heal>cast>pauselock>recast>heal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Macros seem inconsistent for me.

This macro works, for archers:

Repeat -> Normal -> Spark (any)

With this, an archer can afk auto-spark against a boss.

This macro does not work, for me:

Repeat -> Quickshot -> Normal -> Normal -> Normal -> Normal -> Spark

The intention here is to hope Demon Quickshot procs, and get at least 4 attacks off on the proc. Anyways, it doesn't work. It goes through once, but on the 2nd run through, it just does normal attacks. Quickshot has cooled down by the time it starts over, so it's not an issue with that.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Methinks I'll stick to pressing f3 when the cooldown ends and only using macros for my buffs b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Ill stick with pet heal -> venom scarab, repeat. Then the occasional spark to heal mp. Works on most mini bosses/lotsa hp bosses. Worked pretty nice when I was DDing on sword tamer too.

I still dont see how channeling makes a difference at all to macros. Other than the fact that the skills are CASTED faster.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I was always wondering how to do this...XD...

I actually thought the 'walk behind' thing actually made you walk behind someone...and when I tried and it didn't work, I wondered why. XD...so, thanks for this simple, but valuable info!
  • Jetue - Harshlands
    Jetue - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Things I use macros for:

1) squad buffs, 'cus I'm far to lazy to press all 4 buttons.
    2) bosses:solo IH>cyclone>WT>cyclone>repeat, or some variation of this
    dd-mag debuf>phys debuf>cyclone>WT>cyclone>repeat, again, with variations
    3)grind: cyclone>WT>cyclone>plume> whatever till dead (again, 'cus I'm lazy)

I have never been able to get a single skill to repeat reliably. IH will go 1 to 3 times, then stop. I fix this problem by using a physical "macro" (small heavy object on the 1 key).
    If you need to tell someone you how pro you are, you are not pro. Your reputation and skills should speak for you.
    -adaptation of one of the many quotes I love

Favorite opening line when entering a squad:
    "Hi. So, am I the tank?"

BMs are probably my favorite dds around. They aren't squishy, usually respect and protect the cleric, and in spite of the seemingly constant suicidal impulses, don't get me killed very often.

Jetue - Squad based Cleric
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yeah, if a skill can't fire off (because it's in cooldown, or doesn't have a target) then the whole macro ends.
    Oddly, using macro's across transformations also seems to fail.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    so, i had a big long post i had written out explaining how after re-downloading the client i found my cleric deleted, and how i'm going to have to rebuild it (will take about 48 hours tops).... but my internet connection cut out and so here's the summary/recap b:laugh

good news is, that all i lost when the cleric deletion went thru is the cleric itself. i have all the uber-equips on my mage b:sin

anyways, reason i bring this up is that i intend to double-check my info. i'll post the results of the testing here

in the meantime, if you have requests for infinite-loop macros, post what you'd like to accomplish here. i'll whip up a macro for ya and test it out, then post the [working] macro here once i get it figured

Current to-do list for macros:
    1) heal macro for miss aadi (-3%chan restriction)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Alerean - Heavens Tear
    Alerean - Heavens Tear Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Ill stick with pet heal -> venom scarab, repeat. Then the occasional spark to heal mp. Works on most mini bosses/lotsa hp bosses. Worked pretty nice when I was DDing on sword tamer too.

I still dont see how channeling makes a difference at all to macros. Other than the fact that the skills are CASTED faster.

Cooldown can sometimes have an effect. Here is an example,

Going off the fact that if a skill hasn't cooled down the macro stops (Dunno what some other people are talking about with it skipping, but it doesn't work that way for me or anyone I know.)

As for the example, for a cleric an attack macro might be;
    Loop, Plume Shot, Cyclone, Plume Shot, Wield Thunder

Wield Thunder has a cooldown of 6 seconds.

For a Demon Cleric without any -chan gear the Chan+Cast time of Plume, Cyclone, Plume is 6.4 seconds. However with even a modest 12% -chan, the Chan+Cast time of Plume, Cyclone, Plume drops to almost exactly 6 seconds. Add a bit more -chan gear and your macro would no longer work due to Wield Thunder not having cooled down in time.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    update:

aadi, here's your healing loop
    LoopFunc -> Ironheart -> Vanguard
    -or-
    LoopFunc -> Ironheart -> Wellspring

if mana isnt a concern, then here's a stronger heal
    LoopFunc -> Stream of Rejuv -> Ironheart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Options
    update:

aadi, here's your healing loop
    LoopFunc -> Ironheart -> Vanguard
    -or-
    LoopFunc -> Ironheart -> Wellspring

if mana isnt a concern, then here's a stronger heal
    LoopFunc -> Stream of Rejuv -> Ironheart

I like the IH/Wellspring, but I think in the end I'll just stick to f3, f3, f3, f3...saves mana as well b:chuckle

Macros make me nervous because they can't adapt to a situation...same reason I hate BB b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    b:chuckle I know....lol

b:boredb:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I like the IH/Wellspring, but I think in the end I'll just stick to f3, f3, f3, f3...saves mana as well b:chuckle

Macros make me nervous because they can't adapt to a situation...same reason I hate BB b:surrender

for support classes, adaptability to the situation at hand isn't really so much an important thing... but yea, i get where you're coming from :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]