does this happen to anyone else?

Options
rst777
rst777 Posts: 73 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Cleric
so i got used to the fact that some mobs often get one extra attack when they die, even if they had already attacked. i think its on purpose from programmers, but whatever.
lately though i am having an issue with healing. while in squad i notice that someone is taking damage, i click their icon in the squad box, their name and pic show up at the top of the screen, then i cast a heal... but it heals me and then casts a second time this time on them. its a waste of mp and more importantly- time.
i figure its lag because it only seems to do it when i go from targeting a mob to targeting a player, but it does it in places that i am not lagging and it only started about 3 weeks ago, it never did that to me before, even in 51 where i lag every time im there.
ive tried targeting a player and waiting a second or two before casting but it doesnt seem to help much.
am i the only one or is this common?
Post edited by rst777 on

Comments

• Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have not really had that problem. If I click their icon in squad list and try to heal them right away, the first heal is on me, but I don't complain. Sometimes I pull an agro with it and it helps a little. But no, after I've had them targetted for a little while I do not have that problem.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    its called heal lag. Its common and normal. You need to have the person needed to be healed, targeted for about 2-3sec on your screen if you do not already. This happens when either 1) You have another person/self targeted or 2) you have nothing targeted

Best way to avoid this is pretty much guess who will take the next aggro after tank, or who will ping pong aggro with tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Options

Best way to avoid this is pretty much guess who will take the next aggro after tank, or who will ping pong aggro with tank.

b:chuckle Ping pong... b:pleased b:surrender Sorry, I am one such problem player. My friends made a game out of who could steal agro from whom in dungeons when we were L40-60s.
  • Kawakami - Dreamweaver
    Kawakami - Dreamweaver Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes, but it's only when I actually cast before clicking on their name. As long as I have the person targeted before casting the heal always goes to them..
    Few people make mistakes with fire after being once burned, of people who regard water lightly many have been drowned - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • Alerean - Heavens Tear
    Alerean - Heavens Tear Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I've had this issue somewhat myself, but I doubt there is anything that can be done about it from the game side. From what I can tell its basically this. You select a player, your game sends a message to the server saying I've selected this person. The server then sends a response back to your machine saying, ok. If you attempt to heal that person before that ok message comes back you will heal your old target/yourself. Essentially its latency dependent which varies depending on the player and their internet connection. Those closer to the physical server and with better net connections will have less of an issue.
  • Gildorn - Dreamweaver
    Gildorn - Dreamweaver Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yeah it happens alot but u need to try to live with it. It's sure annoying but I find it characteristical for this game. How many freaking times I died together with mob that attacked me...
  • Keyne - Heavens Tear
    Keyne - Heavens Tear Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    b:chuckle Ping pong... b:pleased b:surrender Sorry, I am one such problem player. My friends made a game out of who could steal agro from whom in dungeons when we were L40-60s.

lol, Yeah, I remember those games. Trying to keep you guys healed was fun. b:victory Sev made me a better cleric for those insane "Oh ****!" moments
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    rst777 wrote: »
    so i got used to the fact that some mobs often get one extra attack when they die, even if they had already attacked. i think its on purpose from programmers, but whatever.
    lately though i am having an issue with healing. while in squad i notice that someone is taking damage, i click their icon in the squad box, their name and pic show up at the top of the screen, then i cast a heal... but it heals me and then casts a second time this time on them. its a waste of mp and more importantly- time.
    i figure its lag because it only seems to do it when i go from targeting a mob to targeting a player, but it does it in places that i am not lagging and it only started about 3 weeks ago, it never did that to me before, even in 51 where i lag every time im there.
    ive tried targeting a player and waiting a second or two before casting but it doesnt seem to help much.
    am i the only one or is this common?
    It is not you nor lag, both of these issues you brought up are implements of the game.

If you notice, for those last-strike mobs, they are usually melee or ranged physical dmg (not magic), because it takes no time to channel these attacks, whereas you can stop a magic strike in it's tracks when it's dead. It does happen with mag if the channeling has been allowed to progress too far before it's killed, but the biggest discrepancy is regarding melee/ranged physical attacks.

Secondly on heals, there is also a time delay on this. If you immediately click someone and heal them the split second you do so, you will heal yourself. You have to wait a good second before being allowed to heal someone else. While it may be annoying sometimes, one should be able to work around it. So click them, wait a full second, then heal. If it looks like their health may be going down too fast, throw a stream or WS before doing IH.
  • rst777
    rst777 Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    i can live with it, takes a little getting used to, but no big deal.
    i was just concerned because it wasnt happening a few weeks ago, and considering the other little glitches im encountering i wanted to make sure nothing serious was wrong.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    rst777 wrote: »
    i can live with it, takes a little getting used to, but no big deal.
    i was just concerned because it wasnt happening a few weeks ago, and considering the other little glitches im encountering i wanted to make sure nothing serious was wrong.
    Nah, it's happened ever since I made my cleric (the heal thing) and since I started this game (the last-strike attacks). I noticed this right away from the first nub mobs. b:victory
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    happens all the time! XD

You kind of have to learn to adjust your timing on skills for it. For example if you are healing someone and then you have to switch heals. What you normally do is cast heal then switch target then cast heal again. If you cast heal too quickly after switching it can go to the first target so as someone has already said you would maybe wait half a second or so before healing.

What I try to do to avoid the problem you're having is to switch target during the heal casting sequence on the first target. You will have the 2nd target in place even before your heal has cast- which will go to your first target as normal- and the next heal will be cast on the 2nd target with no delays.

Once you get used to doing it like this you should avoid heal lag problems and become pro party healer! b:thanks
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yeah, I hate it when that happens b:surrender

Especially if the person dies in the next couple seconds and then asked why I was healing myself instead of them. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Options
    lol, Yeah, I remember those games. Trying to keep you guys healed was fun. b:victory Sev made me a better cleric for those insane "Oh ****!" moments

b:thanks Aw! Thank you Keyne! (I still play this game too! b:chuckle Shows how much I've matured with my chara's level.) Sadly, my favorite partner in crime will not be playing much anymore. So I guess I'll be testing the abilities of the other BMs and Barbs in the faction (unless I'm in a full DD squad!).
  • LordRyukesen - Sanctuary
    LordRyukesen - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I soooo hate when they do that. Back when I was a newb, I had this happen to me A LOT and it was always the death of me.

b:angry BURN THE DEVELOPER WHO DID THIS!!!!
  • HauntedMoon - Heavens Tear
    HauntedMoon - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Yes, this has happened to me a lot lately. I was beginning to think it was me doing something wrong. However, I have found that if I click on the person to be healed instead of clicking their name in the squad list, it seems to work that way without healing myself first.
  • Keenan - Dreamweaver
    Keenan - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    For some reason, I find double clicking the target's name helps that heal lag. It also makes you run towards the person, but soon as you hit the heal hotkey, you stop, so it's become habit for me just to double click every time I switch targets.