New Barb! Need Tips :D

Options
StudTank - Harshlands
StudTank - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Barbarian
Hey everyone!b:victory

I Like at this minute made a Bard Because My Guild Needs a Tank..
Lol I have absolutly no Exp. with a Barb or Tank..
I am willing to give this character 500k?
Will It Be Enough?
How Should I distribute my stats?
So anyone would awnser my questions I would be happy :D
Also If anyone left some tips it would be greatly appriciated :D

Thanks b:kiss
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ResolvePwi.mmoguildsites.com
IGN:StudTank
Fraction:Resolve
Server:HarshLands
Post edited by StudTank - Harshlands on

Comments

• Sralyn - Dreamweaver
    Sralyn - Dreamweaver Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    500k should be enough, combined with money from item drops, to let you not have to worry about costs for quite a while.

If you made it because your guild needs a tank, 6str, 1dex, 3vit every 2 levels.

As for the tips, my barb is only lvl 50. So I'm sure the people who main barbs could give you much better advice than I could.
    We are not your slaves,
    We are not your babysitters,
    We are not your personal med-pack,
    We are Clerics, god dammit,
    And if your death means the survival of the squad as a whole,
    Well...I'll see you in hell...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Basingeth - Lost City
    Basingeth - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    If you made it because your guild needs a tank, 6str, 1dex, 3vit every 2 levels.

Umm, no. If you are doing a tank build then put exactly the amount of str and dex needed for your equips. The rest goes into vit. There is no set amount to put in, as it varies. Check the barb guides, they will help you immensely.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Umm, no. If you are doing a tank build then put exactly the amount of str and dex needed for your equips. The rest goes into vit. There is no set amount to put in, as it varies. Check the barb guides, they will help you immensely.

Its basically the same thing, what he said is the same as what you said... Then again, I agree, "best" stat builds are myths.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • lilyuffie
    lilyuffie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

+1

Exactly what he said. There's no need to put in more strength than necessary.
    Also, 500k should be sufficient, as long as you don't fall into the temptation of buying expensive 3*/legendary armor/weapons.
  • Sralyn - Dreamweaver
    Sralyn - Dreamweaver Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    lilyuffie wrote: »
    +1

Exactly what he said. There's no need to put in more strength than necessary.
    Also, 500k should be sufficient, as long as you don't fall into the temptation of buying expensive 3*/legendary armor/weapons.

That isn't any more strength than necessary. In the higher levels, you need just that much strength to use your current level weapon, as well as just enough dexterity. You may be able to get away with putting less strength into him at the lower levels, but as you progress, you need more and more strength to use your equipment. My barb has followed this build since level 1, is currently level 50, and has just enough str for his hammers.
    We are not your slaves,
    We are not your babysitters,
    We are not your personal med-pack,
    We are Clerics, god dammit,
    And if your death means the survival of the squad as a whole,
    Well...I'll see you in hell...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    That isn't any more strength than necessary........... My barb has followed this build since level 1, is currently level 50, and has just enough str for his hammers.

Exactly. You are using hammers, which require more strength than axes. So in essence you are following the 'enough str/dex for weapons' rule. Once you switch to TT weps you will most likely be using dual axes, where you will need lesser str and a bit more dex than hammers.

My lvl90 axes require 272 str 49dex. Atm I have 262 str and 40 dex (so 19 more points in vit than I would following the fixed stat points rule).
    I have done this because my equips give me in total another +12str and +9dex.
    So, to squeeze the most HP you can out of your build, look at your gear and then adjust stats around that.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • howardroark
    howardroark Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Would it be better to pump strength and dex a bit very early game to speed up leveling? like maybe go 3/1/1 early game and switch to 2/0/3 for a while later, when it is time to start tanking?
  • ElMiedo - Heavens Tear
    ElMiedo - Heavens Tear Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

EDIT: You receive a heavy slap. You need to add 6 str and 1 dex every 2 levels to stay upgraded with your weapons. At least until you start getting to the TT axes, I think...
    Would it be better to pump strength and dex a bit very early game to speed up leveling? like maybe go 3/1/1 early game and switch to 2/0/3 for a while later, when it is time to start tanking?

If you mean pump 2 str 0 dex 1 vit, I wouldn't suggest it. Axes/hammers are pretty strict about having at least 3 str per level. Though you can do 3/1/1 early and 3/0/2 later. I don't see how it will speed up leveling tho.
  • Basingeth - Lost City
    Basingeth - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    EDIT: You receive a heavy slap. You need to add 6 str and 1 dex every 2 levels to stay upgraded with your weapons. At least until you start getting to the TT axes, I think...

I receive a heavy slap? You may be able to get away with throwing out numbers like that in the beginning, but when you get to level 60+ that no longer applies. You keep following that and you will have one messed up barb. It is better overall to keep track of your gear and build based on that. This will give you the maximum capability.
  • lilyuffie
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I love it when people read one thing, and think it applies throughout the whole entire game. Let's say you're level 90 and your end game weapon is TT90 Gold, do you keep pumping str./dex. even though you have the set requirement? No, unless you plan on upping your DPS/Accuracy, but that's what refines/apoth powders, shards, etc. are for. There's always room to improvise; don't stick to the same thing if it's not necessary.

If you mean pump 2 str 0 dex 1 vit, I wouldn't suggest it. Axes/hammers are pretty strict about having at least 3 str per level. Though you can do 3/1/1 early and 3/0/2 later. I don't see how it will speed up leveling tho.

That's what he was saying. It speeds up the leveling process because your DPS is higher.
    Higher DPS = Faster questing. Faster questing = receives exp at a faster rate. Also it allows you to access new quests as you level. The more quests available, and the faster you finish your quests (due to higher DPS than other WB), the faster you level.
  • ElMiedo - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Nvm to the post to Basingeth. Don't know wtf I was thinking.
    That's what he was saying. It speeds up the leveling process because your DPS is higher.
    Higher DPS = Faster questing. Faster questing = receives exp at a faster rate. Also it allows you to access new quests as you level. The more quests available, and the faster you finish your quests (due to higher DPS than other WB), the faster you level.

?

First off that's not what he said. Second, the DPS from what I suggested isn't significantly different than the min str and dex build, so you're not going level much faster.
  • Hired_Hero - Sanctuary
    Hired_Hero - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    So, to squeeze the most HP you can out of your build, look at your gear and then adjust stats around that.

I believe this is the sanest approach to playing the Barbarian or any character instead of some robotic method. I advise to make a lineup of your future levels and the equip you will be using then chart out the stat points according to your lineup.
  • Joandra - Heavens Tear
    Joandra - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Dont go by the complex procedures all these barbs r confusing u with...follow this:
    Go to any Uncle Blacksmith, convince him that u wanna buy a weapon, look at a lvl 10 Dual Axe, then run away.

Now, what u do is..just make sure u put points in Str & Dex as per what the lvl 10 Dual Axes need. Dont have to worry about how u put them per lvl..just make sure u get them right & enough to equip lvl 10 Dual Axes.

NOW, follow that every 10 lvls. once u r lvl 10, go fool an Unccle Blacksmith & check how many str & dex a lvl 20 Dual Axes need & put those points accordingly. Rest goes into vit.

P.S. sum will argue that there's the fb19 reward wep & it needs more str than Dual Axes. But there's also a wep u can get from lvl 20 Supply Stash, u can use that one.
    SO, its upto u..whether to follow the Dual Axes way from lvl 1...OR get the fb19 wep & then fix the points so u can use Dual Axes since lvl 30.
  • Kwandelan - Heavens Tear
    Kwandelan - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Dont go by the complex procedures all these barbs r confusing u with...follow this:
    Go to any Uncle Blacksmith, convince him that u wanna buy a weapon, look at a lvl 10 Dual Axe, then run away.

Now, what u do is..just make sure u put points in Str & Dex as per what the lvl 10 Dual Axes need. Dont have to worry about how u put them per lvl..just make sure u get them right & enough to equip lvl 10 Dual Axes.

NOW, follow that every 10 lvls. once u r lvl 10, go fool an Unccle Blacksmith & check how many str & dex a lvl 20 Dual Axes need & put those points accordingly. Rest goes into vit.

P.S. sum will argue that there's the fb19 reward wep & it needs more str than Dual Axes. But there's also a wep u can get from lvl 20 Supply Stash, u can use that one.
    SO, its upto u..whether to follow the Dual Axes way from lvl 1...OR get the fb19 wep & then fix the points so u can use Dual Axes since lvl 30.

Approved b:victory

Btw, GL lvling a Barb. its easy from lvl 1-50..then it sucks till u get till 85, then it gets better again. Barbs FTW b:pleased (Exception: Whoracle barbs, they suck. Dont be one!)
  • lilyuffie
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Nvm to the post to Basingeth.
    First off that's not what he said. Second, the DPS from what I suggested isn't significantly different than the min str and dex build, so you're not going level much faster.
    EDIT: Though you can do 3/1/1 early and 3/0/2 later.

That's what he said, aside from your tactic of 3/0/2 later on. Learn to read. Ffs.
    Have you even ever tried pumping str/dex in the beginning? I doubt it.
    How do you not understand that the early str/dex build will help you level quicker? It's a simple explanation. Even with a 'small dps increase', you'll still be killing faster.
    Also when you said you should stick to 3 str per level, I find that to be completely BS. You don't need to constantly push str. unless you wanna be a DD barbarian. There's relatively no point in DD, as I've stated earlier, refines/shards/buffs take care of that.
  • ElMiedo - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Options
    That's what he said, aside from your tactic of 3/0/2 later on. Learn to read. Ffs.

Can you read? You even said it yourself, I said 3/1/1-3/0/2, he said 3/1/1-2/0/3. Don't know what you're talking about.

Then:
    Have you even ever tried pumping str/dex in the beginning? I doubt it.

EDIT: Well I haven't pumped dex. But I have been doing 3 str per level, and I'm hitting requirements.

Next:
    How do you not understand that the early str/dex build will help you level quicker? It's a simple explanation. Even with a 'small dps increase', you'll still be killing faster.

So much faster to the point it's not even worth mentioning.

Last:
    Also when you said you should stick to 3 str per level, I find that to be completely BS. You don't need to constantly push str. unless you wanna be a DD barbarian. There's relatively no point in DD, as I've stated earlier, refines/shards/buffs take care of that.

EDIT: **** what I put earlier, I've just realized that you do in fact need about 3 str per level for using weapons on your level. The ONLY time you don't need to is if you have gears which add str, like Hazardus said. I can provide an example if you'd like.

Though overall, really you should just focus on your stats around your gear. But I don't believe that 6/1/3 is a fail barb.
  • lilyuffie
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Can you read? You even said it yourself, I said 3/1/1-3/0/2, he said 3/1/1-2/0/3. Don't know what you're talking about.
    I can read. I've stated what you've advised differently from what the other person had mentioned. That's why I said 'can you read?' because you've improvised his build, which led me to the conclusion that you couldn't follow details. Don't ever say I can't read, because obviously I can.
    Then:
    EDIT: Well I haven't pumped dex. But I have been doing 3 str per level, and I'm hitting requirements.
    I don't even see the point of adding str. every single level when you've already got the required amount of str. to equip your gear. Sure you get an early start on the next set of gear, but honestly, I'd prefer to stack the Vit. while I still can before I have to start adding str./dex. again.
    Next:
    So much faster to the point it's not even worth mentioning.
    But you do admit, it's faster. When you get Zerk axes, the differences between a DD barb and a Tank barb are definitely noticeable. If you don't think the difference in DPS as a DD barb and a Tank Build Barb is even worth mentioning, then you've got another thing coming. I understand that a DD Barb might be considered as a 'fail', but the difference in DD is definitely worth mentioning, especially with the Demon Cultivation. I understand that I've might have extended his idea a long ways, but I'm saying that if he continued with just his first stat allocation method, the DPS is worth mentioning.
    Last:
    EDIT: **** what I put earlier, I've just realized that you do in fact need about 3 str per level for using weapons on your level. The ONLY time you don't need to is if you have gears which add str, like Hazardus said. I can provide an example if you'd like.
    You don't need 3 str. every level rolling a Tank Build Barb. You could always stack Vit. for the first few levels, then procrastinate on the Vit. later and pump Str./Dex. As I've said, you're allowed to improvise.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with you. Your too focused and closed-minded on following the guide to even experiment with anything else.
  • silber
    silber Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Pro tip from a 100 wb:

For the first 30 or so levels it does not matter what you put as your stats, so long as its in vit, str and dex, and that the dex does not pass 40.

After 30, depending on your build, im willing to be that you will have a good image on what you want to do with your build, as by then you will see how your stat points affect your damage and health.

by level 60 (when you start planning your armor/build for HH) you will have pretty much got a preference and a good idea of the selection of armor available to you (though personally i did not use HH armor till 90, rather i used moulders)

So mostly all these xx vit xx str xx dex per level things are useless.

do what you think will make it the most fun for you.

worse comes to worse, there are restat scrolls for when you want to change builds.
  • ElMiedo - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Options
    You don't need 3 str. every level rolling a Tank Build Barb. You could always stack Vit. for the first few levels, then procrastinate on the Vit. later and pump Str./Dex. As I've said, you're allowed to improvise.

I've tried doing less than 6 str per 2 levels before. Started missing requirements at around 14 I think. You can pump, but then you'll have to actually wait for your stats to catch up to the requirements. Which results in the same stats as min str and dex eventually...with more headache. I guess if you time things right it won't happen, but w/e.
    I don't even see the point of adding str. every single level when you've already got the required amount of str. to equip your gear. Sure you get an early start on the next set of gear, but honestly, I'd prefer to stack the Vit. while I still can before I have to start adding str./dex. again.

The result is the SAME. I think that's where you're not understanding me. I'd say, once you've acquired your endgame gear (whatever you consider yours) then that is a good idea. But before then it really doesn't matter much. So there's nothing wrong with what you're talking about, and nothing wrong with the 6/1/3.
    lilyuffie wrote: »
    Anyways, I'm done arguing with you. Your too focused and closed-minded on following the guide to even experiment with anything else.

You can say whatever you want, but the numbers prove what I'm saying.

Example: 212 str needed for lvl 70 axes. 3 str per level from level 1. 69 x 3= 207. Add base str, which is 5, and you get 212. It continues like that pretty much the whole game.

Plus, I said that you should focus around your gear.
    Though overall, really you should just focus on your stats around your gear.

My point is not that "ALL OTHER BUILDS FAIL", you're just making it sound like the 6/1/3 is not a tank build when in fact it is. It's a perfectly viable option.
  • Sonis - Lost City
    Sonis - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Options
    This May be a Bit late and Appearently i don't know much. But for PVP severs what i have found that works Very well stat wise is that you do this Formula for your stats Every Even Level you do 3str 2 vit and every odd level you do 3 str 1 vit and 1 dex you will have a very well faced char long as you don't face any BMs or archers but i guess you might have guessed that.. Anywho another tip is to start rasing about 3 or 4 mil or for your level 50 stash which requires you to use a perfect Hammer on the stash and thereby costing you (Lost City Reference) 2-3.4m and thats not fun for anyone let me tell ya. Well thats all i got to say. if your all gonna bad mouth me now go ahead could care less what the hell you all have to say, so in short PVP Barbs Rule as do Vit barbs and have fun at this game let no one tell u how to play it (but keep stat builds in mind.)