Wizard Buff - Fact or Fiction?

Options
ungodlike
ungodlike Posts: 2 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Wizard
I have been playing a wizard as my main and have reached level 77. It is my observance that the wizard buff, Frostblade, does NOTHING except to appease women characters with a bit of flair in the effect of a glowing hand.

Firstly, casting this buff onto anyone of any class appears to add nothing to their attacks either magic or physical. At level 8 the spell states "Breathe an icy breath onto a squad member's weapon allowing giving their normal attacks extra Water damage equal to 26% of your base magic attack. Lasts 15 minutes"

Aside from the obvious grammatical error in the description, it also states "onto a squad member..." when clearly any wizard can attest that being in or out of squad has no effect on who you can cast it upon.

I have buffed every class of character and asked if they noticed any affect at all in their damage to mobs and all have reported the same thing. They see no obvious increase in damage. The type of mob doesn't seem to have any effect either.

My base magic attack currently is 3570. This buff should add ~928 water damage to an attack. This should be considerable enough to notice by anyone buffed by Frostblade.

Also, it is not clear to what a "normal" attack is. As a wizard, my normal attack is Magic. A bm or barbs normal attack is physical. At least that's how I interpret "normal".

Clearly there is one of two things going on here. Maybe both. One, the buff has no effect at all. Two, the description does not yield an accurate portrayal of the buff and I haven't figured out how to take advantage of the extra damage.

Given it's description I would expect that damage would become and obvious amount especially to mobs that are most affected by water damage. Plain and simple: I see no increase.

So, is the wizard buff, Frostblade, broken? useless? or is this wizard just ignorant on the ways of how to take advantage of any extra damage it might add along with everyone else who I've buffed and reported no apparent extra damage?
Post edited by ungodlike on

Comments

• Alerean - Heavens Tear
    Alerean - Heavens Tear Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Normal attack in game terms means using a normal physical attack with your weapon. Skills/spells are never normal attacks. Essentially this means this buff is indeed useless for spellcasters as all their attacks are skill/spells. For the others, this means that the damage doesn't stack whenever they use a skill, they have to use just a standard attack to get any bonus damage.

As for broken, the skill isn't, it does what its supposed to. If you give them the buff and then have them attack something immune to water you'll notice the boss resisting the extra damage every time they hit them.
  • TehMage - Lost City
    TehMage - Lost City Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    ungodlike wrote: »
    I have been playing a wizard as my main and have reached level 77. It is my observance that the wizard buff, Frostblade, does NOTHING except to appease women characters with a bit of flair in the effect of a glowing hand.

Firstly, casting this buff onto anyone of any class appears to add nothing to their attacks either magic or physical. At level 8 the spell states "Breathe an icy breath onto a squad member's weapon allowing giving their normal attacks extra Water damage equal to 26% of your base magic attack. Lasts 15 minutes"

Aside from the obvious grammatical error in the description, it also states "onto a squad member..." when clearly any wizard can attest that being in or out of squad has no effect on who you can cast it upon.

I have buffed every class of character and asked if they noticed any affect at all in their damage to mobs and all have reported the same thing. They see no obvious increase in damage. The type of mob doesn't seem to have any effect either.

My base magic attack currently is 3570. This buff should add ~928 water damage to an attack. This should be considerable enough to notice by anyone buffed by Frostblade.

Also, it is not clear to what a "normal" attack is. As a wizard, my normal attack is Magic. A bm or barbs normal attack is physical. At least that's how I interpret "normal".

Clearly there is one of two things going on here. Maybe both. One, the buff has no effect at all. Two, the description does not yield an accurate portrayal of the buff and I haven't figured out how to take advantage of the extra damage.

Given it's description I would expect that damage would become and obvious amount especially to mobs that are most affected by water damage. Plain and simple: I see no increase.

So, is the wizard buff, Frostblade, broken? useless? or is this wizard just ignorant on the ways of how to take advantage of any extra damage it might add along with everyone else who I've buffed and reported no apparent extra damage?

First off your base magic attack is the magic attack you have when you're naked, meaning no gears with +magic and no weapon equipped.

Secondly, that buff is, as you said already, useless for us wizards. The only difference anyone wil see is if its maxed at lvl 11 by a demon wizard (50% of base magic attack) and even then you can hardly tell a difference. The only people who recieve any type of reward from the buff are the physical classes ie: bm's/archers/barbs.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Normal attack in game terms means using a normal physical attack with your weapon. Skills/spells are never normal attacks. Essentially this means this buff is indeed useless for spellcasters as all their attacks are skill/spells. For the others, this means that the damage doesn't stack whenever they use a skill, they have to use just a standard attack to get any bonus damage.

As for broken, the skill isn't, it does what its supposed to. If you give them the buff and then have them attack something immune to water you'll notice the boss resisting the extra damage every time they hit them.
    I also confused about this. If it add water damage to physical attack, they should see it. Especially when I buff them with 30% more water attack. So they should see big difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I've seen the boost as a BM. It's not a huge boost, but it helps.
  • ungodlike
    edited November 2009
    Options
    So my base is 317 "naked". Translation. 80 pts of extra water damage... I assume that's modified by the mobs water resistance.

Useless buff.

Thanks to all for the info.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    go here: LINK

please use the search function before posting a new thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
    edited November 2009
    Options
    go here: LINK

please use the search function before posting a new thread

If this1 would be true, than damage added would very quite big. So ever1 buffed would must notice this damage increase, but they don't. So I'm still skeptical about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    If this1 would be true, than damage added would very quite big. So ever1 buffed would must notice this damage increase, but they don't. So I'm still skeptical about it.

actual buffed atk stat does not equal damage dealt. the buffed attack stat is before reductions from the target's defense. plus, you would have to have extensive experience with the buff in order to notice the difference, because only fist BMs have the tiny damage range that would show a noticeable improvement
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited November 2009
    Options
    actual buffed atk stat does not equal damage dealt. the buffed attack stat is before reductions from the target's defense. plus, you would have to have extensive experience with the buff in order to notice the difference, because only fist BMs have the tiny damage range that would show a noticeable improvement

Then with another words is useless.b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Then with another words is useless.b:angry

damage is damage, and regardless of whether the melee notices the difference or not, fact is that the person's lowend has been increased (which means they are doing more damage no matter how you see it)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• fiznik
    fiznik Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    damage is damage, and regardless of whether the melee notices the difference or not, fact is that the person's lowend has been increased (which means they are doing more damage no matter how you see it)

Trolling is trolling, no matter how you word it = ) You seem to be good at it. Please use common sense filter before posting .......
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    fiznik wrote: »
    Trolling is trolling, no matter how you word it = ) You seem to be good at it. Please use common sense filter before posting .......

youfailatfailingatfaili.jpg

learn what trolling is before accusing someone of doing so. kthxbai b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• fiznik
    fiznik Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Not hard to learn, all we need to do is look at your recent history of posts, pretty much defines it.
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Options
    fiznik wrote: »
    Not hard to learn, all we need to do is look at your recent history of posts, pretty much defines it.

as i explained in another post, yes, i am a troll. i also am very helpful to those who aren't just being idiots. this specific string of posts i have in this thread are meant in the helpful way. do some homework before you target me b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    um me has another question.
    o.o'

when going against water type mobs.....does frostblade make squad members do LESS damage?
    b:shocked
    me had some squad members asking me not to buff them while fighting water mobs.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    i strongly suspect that it is equipment damage rather than base magic damage, much like every other weapon mastery and blazing arrow.
    um me has another question.
    o.o'

when going against water type mobs.....does frostblade make squad members do LESS damage?
    me had some squad members asking me not to buff them while fighting water mobs.

water type mobs only have more water defense, so the water buff does less than it normally would but should do something.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Deathsscion - Sanctuary
    Deathsscion - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    i strongly suspect that it is equipment damage rather than base magic damage, much like every other weapon mastery and blazing arrow.

At least someone here knows what they are talking about. Frostblade adds water damage based on the target's weapon damage and only to normal attacks so no skills. So if you have 2k physical attack yet your weapon is only 600 damage you would get about 200 extra damage from the buff. This extra damage then goes thru the opponents water defense like anything else and gets reduced. The end result if you need someone with a really good weapon to see a significant change.
  • LilWolfy - Heavens Tear
    LilWolfy - Heavens Tear Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

well the wizard buff only works on normal atks like a bm or barb doing melee strikes or an archer shooting auto atk ...or one of those fail venos that uses swords or axes. so unless u walk up to the mob and atk it with ur magic sword the buff wont help a wizard at all. as for not noticing a damage change thats prettie easy since most bm/barb/archers have a prettie large damage range ..my barbs damage is about 3k difference from the highest he can hit to the lowest he can hit so i wouldnt notice if the damage was a little higher
  • XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary
    XHappyBunnyx - Sanctuary Posts: 683 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

physical melee attack without the use of a skill.
    works the same as the apothecary pots that add elemental damage for 2 minutes.

Isnt' there a Water immune boss in fb99 hell? there would be resists flying like crazy if the melees were buffed by frostblade.
    Q - How to win on Perfect World?
    A - Throw money at it.
  • Deathsscion - Sanctuary
    Deathsscion - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

physical melee attack without the use of a skill.
    works the same as the apothecary pots that add elemental damage for 2 minutes.

Isnt' there a Water immune boss in fb99 hell? there would be resists flying like crazy if the melees were buffed by frostblade.

Also the last boss in Brimstone. Funny when you have 3 or more melees with you. The resists form a solid red box above the boss and you can't see your own damage no matter how hard you stare at it.
  • ungodlike
    edited November 2009
    Options

Just for the record, I did do a search... found nothing useful... just like the link you supplied as it appears utterly wrong in its entirety given the description of the frostblade spell. That example uses a BM base of 1000 + 30% of the bm's base... incorrect in TWO ways. The buff states it adds a % of YOUR base magic, not of the target that you cast it upon. and not of the targes base physical attack. so the bm could have a base of 1 billion (obviously not possible...) and the bm will only receive from the buff a % of the wizards base magic...

I'm looking for a correct answer here. Thus far the correct answer is FICTION...the buff is useless.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    The buff states it adds a % of YOUR base magic, not of the target that you cast it upon. and not of the targes base physical attack. so the bm could have a base of 1 billion (obviously not possible...) and the bm will only receive from the buff a % of the wizards base magic...
    Seems like someone hasn't done their homework.

PWI's descriptions are horribly inaccurate for many things.

In fact we have a thread that's completely dedicated to these bad skill descriptions.

And thus, your answer is false. The buff is useful for physical DDers who rely mostly on auto-attacks (Fist BMs, Archers, Fox venos for example).
  • ungodlike
    edited November 2009
    Options
    truekossy wrote: »
    Seems like someone hasn't done their homework.

PWI's descriptions are horribly inaccurate for many things.

In fact we have a thread that's completely dedicated to these bad skill descriptions.

And thus, your answer is false. The buff is useful for physical DDers who rely mostly on auto-attacks (Fist BMs, Archers, Fox venos for example).

I concede that I am very likely wrong but even given the description being incorrect and the buff adds a % of the base physical of the person it's cast upon.... why is there no evident increase?

I've buffed a bm and that bm and that bm did only phys attacks and used no skills an no other buffs yet he saw no evident increase in his attack. 26% should be obvious. Even if the range is great from low to high... he should have seen his higher #s go up after buffing which was not the case.

Is there ANYTHING that is complete on this buff? Not a link to a correction of some example that goes against the grain... but an exact layout of precisely what is buffed, for how much and what affects it?
  • Polyhymnia - Heavens Tear
    Polyhymnia - Heavens Tear Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Frostblade *converts* a % of the *target's* base physical attack into water damage. Try using it against an increased magic resistance mob, and watch your damage go down.
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I concede that I am very likely wrong but even given the description being incorrect and the buff adds a % of the base physical of the person it's cast upon.... why is there no evident increase?

I've buffed a bm and that bm and that bm did only phys attacks and used no skills an no other buffs yet he saw no evident increase in his attack. 26% should be obvious. Even if the range is great from low to high... he should have seen his higher #s go up after buffing which was not the case.

Is there ANYTHING that is complete on this buff? Not a link to a correction of some example that goes against the grain... but an exact layout of precisely what is buffed, for how much and what affects it?

we have several possibilities:

1.) it's our (mages') m.attack. impossible 'cuzz that would add ridiculous amounts of damage- lv 1 archers would 1hit everything for 10 levels (my buff @ lv 5 would add +1200 water damage lol).

1. A.) it's our base m.attack. impossible again because this would add about 200water damage to a lv 1 BM... enough to 1hit mobs, but it doesn't.

2.) it's the receivers' base m.attack (lol fail buff)... and no way jose, this would be more ridiculous than #3 below.

2. B.) it's the receivers' phys.attack (with weap equipped/ just weapon damage). can't be, if this were so then it would actually yield a noticeable damage difference.

3.) it's the receivers' base p.attack (look at this) <~ if that phys. attack is the "base" then we can say that my lv 5 frostblade buff will add a grand total of 51.6 water damage to each hit. To put that in perspective, my water damage on gush = approx 10273 (see sage gush stat description for explanation) and I hit mobs my level for about 8k on the regular... 52 water damage = 0.005% of my damage... so something like ~40 damage on a mob, 10 damage in PvP

That's about as far as I've thought it through. b:surrender

edit:
    Frostblade *converts* a % of the *target's* base physical attack into water damage. Try using it against an increased magic resistance mob, and watch your damage go down.

yah and there's this one too; This is actually the only one I have proof for (was tested in gamma rebirth on element summoner; my melee damage with tt70 wand was right at 238-240, buffed myself and watched the damage drop to 226-230).
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    wait so....water IMMUNE mobs get no damage from physical attackers when you frostblade them?
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    CLASS: Wizards
    SKILL: Frostblade (sage and demon too)
    TYPE: Error
    giving their normal attacks extra Water damage equal to
    30% of their weapon damage
    wait so....water IMMUNE mobs get no damage from physical attackers when you frostblade them?
    This is actually the only one I have proof for (was tested in gamma rebirth on element summoner; my melee damage with tt70 wand was right at 238-240, buffed myself and watched the damage drop to 226-230).

In this case Frosblade is userful against Fire mobs only when it is used on physical attackers. And I will not cast it without being asked about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Astarielle - Heavens Tear
    Astarielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Frostblade has 4 uses, in order of importance:

a) Extremely useful to build chi - unless/until you go sage b:pleased

b) To give your squad members very cool glowy hands, and find them easily in the dark.

c) To give all phys attackers in Brimstone FB89 against Fats and watch the RESIST messages endlessly fill your screen (and freak them out if they didn't see it before b:faint).

d) Add water damage to phys attackers' normal attacks. A few people have actually asked for it so it can do something, but it's clearly marginal. On long boss fights a little extra DPS will make it go a little quicker...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:surprised b:chuckle
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    b:laugh Yah people you think its useless but little ol' Pressa been doing research on this for awhile and it is not in fact useless you just don't notice cause it don't change the sheet none. And here what I found:

1) This buff acts like those pots that add elemental damage or those gems that do.

2) I don't know whos attack it goes by but everytime I get hit with the bugger I hit 500 more. And thats alot of attack I seen BMs get hit with it make a 1k-800 damage difference. You hit that water boss immune boss in 99 and a different boss in there you are going to notice a nice spike in damage on the other bosses. This buff acts the same way poison fang for barbs works it ADDs a small amount of magic damage to their hits. Also on phys resistance bosses you actually do damage cause some of your hits are magic.

3) b:victory In pvp the difference is noticeable as well BMs who wouldn't go down without the buff go down against a archer who does the same thing both time same with the BM. It adds magic damage thus b:angry hits those magic squishies hard.

b:thanks thank you for your time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ROFLMAOMFG - Lost City
    ROFLMAOMFG - Lost City Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options

^ this is correct. It converts a percent of whoevers normal phys. dmg into water damage. say a bm is normally hitting for a 1k. if that bm were to attack a fire mob, it would do maybe 1.3k. if he were to attack a water mob, maybe only 700 O.o I don't know if the percent makes that big of a diff, but it was just for the sake of example. I don't think any other mobs would be effected by it (considering they wouldn't have any more or less resistance to water)

just my two cents ^^b:victory

Edit: Also, if you are hitting a water immune boss/mob, the water damage is taken off of the total, so if 30% of your physical attack has been turned into water damage, then you'll be dealing 30% less damage maybe? O.o