whats the best newb class to lv the fastest with besides for venos?

jasonwoo
jasonwoo Posts: 4 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Im a new player and from reading the forums, venos seem to be the easiest best class to lv in terms of speed. However I just cant stand the idea of being a girl so can someone suggest the second most easiest class to lv with as a first character in pw?
Post edited by jasonwoo on

Comments

• FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Clerics fly by fairly fast, IMO. If nothing else, having wings from the start makes 1-30 significantly easier to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    for a newcommer i sugest bm mostly though due to it being the most ballanced class
    cause bm has moderate atack,defense and hp you dont die very fast yet stil deal some damage
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • jasonwoo
    edited November 2009
    hmm ive concidered bms but never really thought about clerics. Can a cleric solo by itself? Im not really into training with or relying groups too much. How about the cost of mantaining a character? Which class is the cheapest to mantain? Thx for your help.
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Hmmm... I was wondering the same thing. What classes lvl up fastest to slowest? b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    jasonwoo wrote: »
    hmm ive concidered bms but never really thought about clerics. Can a cleric solo by itself? Im not really into training with or relying groups too much. How about the cost of mantaining a character? Which class is the cheapest to mantain? Thx for your help.

if played right a cleric can solo by itself its not very easy though
    a bm depends on cost varying what build you have its not the cheapest class for sure a veno an archer is after that probally the cheapest class as you only use standard arrows when killing mobs
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • forks89
    forks89 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Cheapest
    -Veno
    -Archer
    -Cleric
    -Blademaster
    -Wizard
    -Barbarian
    Most Expensive
    Raging Tide Guild:resolvepwi.mmoguildsites.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    forks89 wrote: »
    Cheapest
    -Veno
    -Archer
    -Cleric
    -Blademaster
    -Wizard
    -Barbarian
    Most Expensive

That list totally depends on what the task at hand is.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    IDaun - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Cheapest is the Veno. Also best solo'r, etc. I'm sure you've heard it all if you've read the forums... but...

Clerics can solo fairly well (need help with bosses like all classes, etc) and are pretty flexible. They are, however, called upon to buff/heal parties/rez/etc a LOT. So if you're a nice, helpful person you'll be busy. They also need MP charms-- or at the very least some GOOD pots that can keep up with their MP kill. Mildy expensive, I think. I've also heard they grind pretty well on Vipions. And they're always needed in Zhen groups.

Barbs are the other 'necessary' class. Asked for to tank random stuff a lot. Because of this, they have repair costs (because they are the punching bags for everyone). About as expensive as a Cleric that uses charms. Not sure about the soloing of a barb-- never played one. They can take more damage than all the other classes, though. And get the most HP per vit point.

Wizzies and Archers are DDs. Gonna group them together. Once again, my knowledge is pretty low-- they kill fast. Barely get hit. Extremely squishy, though, and no really good self heals. Most of the time they can kill before the mob hits them. Can't tell you their cost.

Blademasters are the 'damage control' class, really. They're also the most flexible. I find my blademaster to be fairly inexpensive, but, I haven't really gotten into tanking stuff yet. They're secondary tanks. Axe BMs have great AoE (multiple mobs at once) capabilities-- one of the best grinding classes. Pole has AoE, too, just, needs a bit more skill to do it. Sword and Fist are one-on-one damage. You can do a lot with a BM.

I hope I didn't just spout a bunch of utter nonsense. >> Feel free to call me a noob if you want. b:chuckle I need it.
  • Aelebera - Heavens Tear
    Aelebera - Heavens Tear Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    well, at level 15, im finding clerics so far are easy enough to solo with

your get 2 spells really fast that deal serious damage from afar, and you have some early heals that are nice

its been pretty easy so far
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Disappear - Lost City
    Disappear - Lost City Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    mageslevelquickly.iwentfrom1-70within3weekswithoutgrinding.
    stillhaveyettogrindforexpstrictly.
  • IDaun - Dreamweaver
    IDaun - Dreamweaver Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited November 2009

If you didn't grind, then, you just leveled on quests or oracles. Which every class has the same quests after level 20. Even then-- I don't really think I believe you, if you didn't use oracles.

The best grinders OR most needed for the high exp reward stuff (haven't gotten there yet on my chars, don't wanna sound stupid) level the fastest, because eventually, quests run out.
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Top 3:
    Veno
    Cleric
    BM

Veno - they have a pet...

Cleric - they can self heal and when done properly along with a decent build, they can survive just about everything. Depending on the boss, you can solo it or not (i.e. Florafang - solo, Farng - squad)

BM - good defense and good damage. If you aren't pumping some points into VIT you'll need to watch your HP so it doesn't get too low. You can solo most bosses, be careful on magic dealing ones (i.e. Krixxix).
  • ewingoil
    ewingoil Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I would say Blademaster would be second to Veno.
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    I prefer the magic classes over the physical classes. Cleric comes before BM because they are a sturdy magic class when they are built properly and don't have nearly the same trials and tribulations the wizards do. The self-heal is a wonder when you get it worked out. I should get back to my wiz and bm though. There's some good bulids out there. Wizards are hard in the lower levels, but once they get higher, they rock.
  • ribonuclear
    ribonuclear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Heh, really? My philosophy's that if you're going to be staring at a pixellated **** all day, it might as well be one you like looking at!

I started with a veno, and I have to say that while it's very easy to play and quite fast, it gets very boring. There is the upside that there's plenty of money-making opportunity from pets, though, and once you're able to tame you hardly ever have to tank anything for yourself.
    Nobody else knows that you're actually a guy playing, do they? You're never going to meet any of them in real life, and you don't have to tell anyone any of your details. It doesn't matter what others think, and it's hardly going to damage your masculinity. :3 Neither will anyone comment on it; there's plenty of cross-players in MMOs.

Blademasters are good on damage, not bad on def and level pretty fast. They can tank if there's no barb around (though I've got to say as a cleric that BMs tanking bosses make me very nervous on the heals!). They're good damagers in boss hunts. They're quite cheap and have plenty of farming potential, not least due to their AoE capabilities. Their weapon choices are very flexible, allowing a BM to be adapted to any kind of playing style the owner wants. I see them as a kind of halfway-point, tanking vs. damage wise.
    However, the drawbacks as I see them: every man and his dog plays a BM. They're unoriginal, and if you like to stand out probably this isn't your best shot at that. You also have to be quite precise about your build, too, I've found; it's possible to **** things up if you're too lackadaisical about which points go where (no, really. I've done it. xD). And that might not mean it becomes unplayable, but it will probably mean you're not getting 100% efficiency out of the build.

Barbarians are great tanks, but that's the problem-- it's their redeeming quality in the face of some really exasperating start-game damage. I have to admit, I gave up after a while. All the misses and flailing around to hit 3s and 4s in the very beginning makes a cheapskate like me facepalm.
    If you can get good weapons, this won't be such a problem. Building your barb for damage, though, will be a bit like shooting yourself in the foot. Barbs are always searched for in boss hunts, tanks are always needed. You'll do better on the whole if you go for a tank with this.

Biased ramble coming up... apologies. Clerics do hit good damage in the start, it's true. They're my class of choice for a lot of reasons; firstly, flying from the very beginning is just great! You can auto-track that guy in Etherblade over from Plume and go get a cup of tea while your cleric flaps his way over with no danger of being aggro'd (so long as you fly high enough).
    Don't be totally fooled, though. As the levels go on, clerics without good equipment will be caught up, passed over and crushed into little piles of dust by the other classes. Working out a technique will help a great deal.
    It's not like they're without up-points by any means. Clerics are healers by nature, after all. If you can't fight them yourself... well, get someone else to do it. Bored of levelling alone, can't tank those mobs? Great, someone over there's struggling with them. Ask them if they'd like to be healed while they fight. More often than not people will welcome the offer.
    If you want to **** levelling altogether for a while, go do an FB/BH. People always need a healer in those situations.
    You'll need to understand how to be a support class as well as a fighter, though. It requires patience and concentration. Looking away for a few moments will more often than not wind up with one of you dead. A good healer never lets their partner die unless it's totally unavoidable. If you pick up an aggro, spam pots and concentrate on them. Don't run away from them or fly up out of range. As soon as they're finished, they'll deal with it.
    Being rude to people or being a bad suport will make them not want to partner you again. For a BM or an archer, say, that's no big deal. For a cleric that can put a real downer on your levelling when you get high enough that you need to support people to finish quests.

If you want to level fast with any class though, my overall advice is, find a faction. And not just the first empty and inactive one that invites you. Check the world chat for adverts. Probably if they're spending money on teles to advertise, they care about their faction. Making friends will give you people to level with, help you with your bosses, and quests go so much faster when doing them with a partner. Later on, if you've got some high-level allies that's also handy to get rid of PKers harassing you or to avenge your untimely death. It's possible to rock this game alone but it's damn hard.

I hope that made sense. U_u; Sorry I can't be more helpful, (and also for the WOT on clerics).
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009

mestilloutlevelyoub:angrymuhahahaha1-74inalittleover3monthsalsowithminimumgriding.
    b:victory
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Worship - Harshlands
    Worship - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Yes both cleric and bm are easy to solo... also consider archer though, at lvl 19 once you get your knockback arrow PvE goes to easy mode... 1-19 is a bit harder imo
  • Lisliren - Sanctuary
    Lisliren - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Yes both cleric and bm are easy to solo... also consider archer though, at lvl 19 once you get your knockback arrow PvE goes to easy mode... 1-19 is a bit harder imo

I don't know, I'm having a hard time with the level 21 enemies in the level 20 quests with my level 20 archer. The knockback arrow moves the enemies back very temporarily, and the frost arrow still doesn't buy me enough time. I'm getting chewed up pretty badly. I'm probably doing something wrong.

I'm also not fond of the horrible lag in Archosaur, so I may just head back to the home town and do repeatable missions until level 22, if I can remember where to find that.
  • AndroidXVI - Sanctuary
    AndroidXVI - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Clerics are second to venos
    Tell Eos we tried ... but sniper on stone crusher.
    edited November 2009
    Clerics are second to venos

yep
    if you play your class right.
    (^.^)'
    you can get others to do nearly all your killing for you.
    b:chuckle
    also getting in BH runs and stuff is way easier if your one of the needed classes.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Accelerated - Sanctuary
    Accelerated - Sanctuary Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Blademasters are the easiest class for starters. Venomancers aren't as simple as you'd imagine, especially when you have no clue on how the basic mechanics of venomancers work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ♥ - 藤林 杏-様 - ♥
    ♥ Kyou Fujibayashi-sama ♥
  • Lisliren - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Venomancers aren't as simple as you'd imagine, especially when you have no clue on how the basic mechanics of venomancers work.

Well that's true for me at least. I'm not very good at working with pets in games. My pet has annoying habit of parking on top of me, and a big pet can make it awkward for me to pick up items and click on enemies that are very close. I also find that I have to be extra careful about drawing aggro from enemies.

I suspect that a venomancer could work very well for me in the future, but I'll have to get a bit more experience playing other characters first.
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    You could always find a Veno mentor (or read Veno forums for some information, but always ask more questions).
  • jasonwoo
    edited November 2009
    wow so many replys. Thx for all your opinions guys I have now decided on going on a cleric and it is pretty easy to lv so far. Hope I made the right choice in going cleric.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Clerics FTW. Went from 1-15 in, like, 5h.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Trode - Dreamweaver
    Trode - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I just started as you see.

archer's been pretty painless.
    edited November 2009
    Well that's true for me at least. I'm not very good at working with pets in games. My pet has annoying habit of parking on top of me, and a big pet can make it awkward for me to pick up items and click on enemies that are very close. I also find that I have to be extra careful about drawing aggro from enemies.

I suspect that a venomancer could work very well for me in the future, but I'll have to get a bit more experience playing other characters first.

uh...
    1. hotkey the pickup macro.
    2. you shouldn't even be fighting mobs next to you anyway. but.... set your pet to auto attack so it grabs aggro first. then walk away from the mob and start shooting?
    3. um (not sure since me not a veno but try seeing if assist attack works on your pet)
    o.o'
    Clerics FTW. Went from 1-15 in, like, 5h.
    dang your slow...me went from 1-20 in 3 hours with an archer. and then me decided to reroll to a wizard. b:chuckle
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mugwump - Sanctuary
    Mugwump - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I suck at this game. Takes me days to get to teens on any type of char. Maybe I should stick with walking 20 miles a day and working out than attempting to do anything in this game.
  • Dioica - Sanctuary
    Dioica - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    uh...
    1. hotkey the pickup macro.
    2. you shouldn't even be fighting mobs next to you anyway. but.... set your pet to auto attack so it grabs aggro first. then walk away from the mob and start shooting?
    3. um (not sure since me not a veno but try seeing if assist attack works on your pet)

If you hotkey your pickup macro that will help you pickthings up from under your pet, but fox form venos have a big advantage over arcanes for picking up items because they do not have to go out of their way to pick up items.

Also, you have three ways of sending your pet to attack:

Typically, you have your pet set up to attack whatever you attack. This is easy, but not very good.

You can also set your pet to get aggro from anything which attacks you or your pet. I love this approach (but I think you should not use this when luring or taming unless you like nightmares or something). You can select this mode by clicking on the little shield on the far left of your pet control bar.

Also, you can send in your pet using Alt-1 (normal attack), Alt-2 (first pet skill), Alt-3 (second pet skill), Alt-4 (you should see the pattern now) or Alt-5. If you have your pet in defend mode and you want your pet to be attacking before you get hit, I think you should try this. You can do something similar by clicking on various things on your pet control bar (you have an "attack" icon and skill icons).

You can do a few other things with your pet control bar (like having it stop attacking, or having it stand still or follow you). If you are not familiar with its possibilities you should try everything on low level monsters until you are comfortable with controlling your pet.

But I do not know of any way of getting your pet's target other than clicking on it. Sometimes you can shift your camera angle to make this easier, but I would really like if the assist attack option worked on my pets like it works for squad members. (Also, Shift-Click might help.)
  • Lisliren - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the replies on the venomancer. Pick up macro: d'oh! I try not to fight enemies up close with my venomancer, but every once in a while something sneaks up from behind while I'm concentrating on something else.

My main concern is my archer though. I'm working on a cleric now. Now level 19. Like the archer, things are starting to bog down a bit. Unlike my other characters, I've been trying to get my cleric up to level 3 in manufacturing skills, which is a bad drain on my spirit points. (But unlike my other characters, she doesn't have a genie sucking up spirit points.)

(So far it looks like I'm really wasting my time and spirit points on manufacturing.)

So far the cleric has been the easiest for me, mainly because of the unlimited flying ability. It makes it easier to spot enemies and resources, and get around without drawing aggro.