PWI Burnout Ahead, Trolls invited.

Comments

• Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    calling saitada girl is just so so so so wrong.

lols but it's the chars that count...like...i refer to Ast, Aya, Nadis, Andro as "she" b:chuckle
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Imamandamnit - Heavens Tear
    Imamandamnit - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Lost the thrill 6 months ago...just log in to keep my accs ticking along,that or out of habit.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    why?

is the player a guy? a veno is a girl/female, so i assume the player is, unless informed otherwise.. if they dont want to be mistaken, players should play their gender...^_^

calling saitada girl is just so so so so wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
    edited November 2009
    why?

is the player a guy? a veno is a girl/female, so i assume the player is, unless informed otherwise.. if they dont want to be mistaken, players should play their gender...^_^

If its veno,always assume its a guy first and foremost:D
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009

yep.
    just remember the majority of teh population be male humans. b:shocked
    so just call everyone he/him/that guy/etc unless they tells you they is female.
    xD
    lols Imamandamnit nice name
    b:chuckle

although me wonder why me get mistaken for female so much? b:shocked me character is a guy and everything.
    b:surrender
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    although me wonder why me get mistaken for female so much? b:shocked me character is a guy and everything.
    b:surrender

You wiggle when you walk.

~Saitada
    edited November 2009
    forget it!

IRL, you dont go around assuming someone is not the gender you see. and the venos i know are all female, and would be insulted to be considered male just because they are playing a game.

to assume that all players of games are male is sexist and bigoted. i've played games longer than the majority of people here have been alive. i am 49, a mom of 4, eldest 18, married for almost 20 years, and my whole family plays games, including my daughter and husband. according to most people, im in the age bracket that sits around kinitting and playing with grandkids, not staying up till 5 in the morning online here. guess what, kiddies...i dont live by others rules of how i should spend my time. im disabled...some think i should live curled up in bed, crying about how bad my life is. instead, i run one of the oldest Yahoo groups for folks who train their own service dogs. that means a LOT of research on law, training, PWD living issues and a zillion other things, in a group where people help each other to get out of that bed and LIVE despite their disabiltiy, to the greatest extent they can. in my case, its come to being able to get around the house with crutches, with help from my service dogs, and spend bulk of my day here in my chair, working and playing on line. some days that means spending all my time in PWI, dealing with my own disablity, or just to give myself a day off from work with my forum.

so i dont go with anyones assumptions....i go for facts. for here, a veno is a female, until the player states otherwise. if they cant cope with it, go roll a male alt.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-FrankieRaye"
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    It has little to do with sexism and bigotry, those are really strong words to use in reaction to a silly comment.

It comes from the prevailing stereotype that was propagated after the advent of video games. It's a stereotype that has become less and less accurate as gaming becomes more accessible to the masses. Not everyone playing an MMO is a guy, but with the demographic in mind it is safe to assume that the gamer population of any given MMO is not 50/50 male/female. It's kind of a joke too, because a lot of guys do play female characters.

It's a misnomer in this game, as there are no male venos, so if you want to play that class you really do have no choice.

What I mean by this post is: Try to be calm in these discussions, many threads are fine at the start but when tempers start to flare it usually becomes a snowball effect. I speak from experience here b:surrender
  • ToyKitteh - Heavens Tear
    ToyKitteh - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Unless you're Kantorek, who is both a barb/veno and and elf. -.-

Have you seen his elf wings? *cries*

o.O I wonder if the mount would be land/air combo....
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I usually try depicting gender by the way they act and type. A lot of people tend to think I'm male. Always shocked to find out I'm female. But really? Not that big a shocker, lol.

I am convinced that Kantorek is the 2nd Winged Tiger.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2009

+1 this...

i had a nice surprise finding that there are girls in mmo too...b:chuckle

expecially in a game where u can get married b:shocked

but male are anyways a lot more b:shutup

so expect for the worst, then when u face it u could be well-surprised

@foxrunning: dunno why u think that if u are a female u HAVE TO roll a female char...

btw i can get that if u roll a different sex char u could get mis-named, but if ill ever roll a female, ill get used to be called she b:surrender

cuz this is RPG somehow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I usually try depicting gender by the way they act and type. A lot of people tend to think I'm male. Always shocked to find out I'm female. But really? Not that big a shocker, lol.

I am convinced that Kantorek is the 2nd Winged Tiger.

b:shocked
    will Saitada happen to Kantorek the 2nd Winged Tiger?
    b:infuriated
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    b:shocked
    will Saitada happen to Kantorek the 2nd Winged Tiger?
    b:infuriated

/me plucks Kantorek's feathers.

~Saitada
    edited November 2009
    i have barbs, and expect to be thought of as male while playing them because barbs are clearly male. so it just as clearly follows, logically, that if you appear female, you should expect that others will believe you to be female. like it or not, girls and women play MMORPGs, platform games....all kinds of games.

and we're here to stay.

@foxrunning: dunno why u think that if u are a female u HAVE TO roll a female char...

btw i can get that if u roll a different sex char u could get mis-named, but if ill ever roll a female, ill get used to be called she b:surrender

cuz this is RPG somehow
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-FrankieRaye"
  • Shintera - Sanctuary
    Shintera - Sanctuary Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    yea i half to play with friends or i just cant stand it. i cant afford anything anymore and if you cant really get anything then what's the use. with everything so expencive due to anni and **** like that i couldnt even join a zhen party at this rate if i wanted to. and i may not even hit 3k unbuffed hp for gamma because of all the inflation going on so that's gonna be slow as all hell in those levels. playing with friends is the only thing i can do and even that is loosing some serious interest in cause we dont really get anywhere.
  • _MonoxidE_ - Sanctuary
    _MonoxidE_ - Sanctuary Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Yeah basically just what it says. Been back a month or so and already burning out on PWI again. Just can't seem to find the thrill anymore. I am hoping that the new expansion will reawaken it otherwise I honestly fear the next time I leave PWI for a break, I just might not make it back.

So.. my question for you is, what do you do to 'keep the thrill'? Maybe some of your suggestions will help me grab the reigns again.

~Saitada

I play different characters and learn each class. Spend time with friends in chat, help lower level players and really enjoy grinding. It might not be for everyone but it gets me through it all.
  • Feito - Dreamweaver
    Feito - Dreamweaver Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I was considering taking a break before the BH quests came about. Nowadays, that's what I log on for. Besides quests, if I feel burned out, I either take a break or find new things to do. May it be following a random person around all day, helping people out with minibosses, or even just exploring the world.
    InStyle is the greatest faction on Dreamweaver! b:victory
    Feito is...
    [x] Still a LA Cleric
    [x] in possession of a BURNING TIGER SPIRIT b:angry
    [x] Sipping some F--KING tea
    [ ] Totally KICKASS
    [ ] Extremely wealthy
    I've got some ways to go!
    edited November 2009
    i have barbs, and expect to be thought of as male while playing them because barbs are clearly male. so it just as clearly follows, logically, that if you appear female, you should expect that others will believe you to be female. like it or not, girls and women play MMORPGs, platform games....all kinds of games.

and we're here to stay.

Ok if you re read your previous post to me and this one,wouldnt it also be sexist for you to assume all venos are female?Just sayin lol...and yeah as spoons said,it was said in joke,considering what my name is and all...
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Ok if you re read your previous post to me and this one,wouldnt it also be sexist for you to assume all venos are female?Just sayin lol...and yeah as spoons said,it was said in joke,considering what my name is and all...

I agree to this. I'm a male, I prefer playing male characters, but I do have a female veno because I can't get a MALE one. What if girls like the barb play style? Yeah I might think they're male right off the bat, but I think so even with female chars. Not because girls don't play MMOs - the factions and guilds I've been in always had a good load of female players - but because guys like pretty pixels over male chars. They like to stare at something they find attractive, be it pixels or not.

And yes, for the record, I've met female barbs. More than one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
    edited November 2009
    yes, i can understand some guys trying to show what they are in their veno's name...i tried to do that with a panda barb once, to come up with a name that i could live with, that would show it was a female run male alt, but couldnt come up with one i liked. however, the majority of names i see fit the gender of the character, so there is no telling what the player's gender is by that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-FrankieRaye"
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I'm Amanda M. Nit? b:chuckle
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2009

and we're here to stay.
    TBH this game has the most female concentration, respect of other mmo i played b:chuckleb:cute

btw u can assume what u want...until u dont speak

if i see a female archer or BM, ill assume she's a girl since she could pick the gender

untamed have sex restriction, so i cant state if is a male or female playing until i ask

if i wanna make a tank, ill be a male char
    if i wanna make a pet user, ill be a female char

ofc if i had the chances to choose gender id pick mine (male)

but in this game im playing a ROLE, im not creating a character that is similar to me, if so I WOULD PLAY THE SIMS rather than this

I.E.
    if i had a female archer (which is not since ive just my BARB), everything that is related to the class/role can be tell in female way, i mean

"im playing an archer named SCHIzZOFRENIA"
    "she has the latest fashion and look sooo sweet"
    "my char is an hot archer with nice boobyb:dirty "
    "she can crit like a crazy horse"

if u talk regarding the archer, SHE has nice weapon
    if u talk regarding the ones that plays her, HE is exped in archer

this will be how id speak of the char, cuz im a PERSON that play a CHARACTER

but if ur talking to me, to the person (b:bye hi, im DENNIS), like in faction or just chatting for fun, u speak to me in male...

when i play, i like to meet the PEOPLE, not the character/role they show
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • AinaMizuako - Sanctuary
    AinaMizuako - Sanctuary Posts: 1,041 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I'm just waiting for the expansion, tbh. I had goals such as get Nix/Herc but it's just way too expensive and while normally I would have cash shopped, I refuse to spend any more money on a game that has lost its luster for me. That may change for the Tideborn but I'm sure my dad's tired of me asking him to buy me some pixels. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    oh look, i'm inactive again.

b> leviciti b:cry
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice folks. What I have done is rolled a new character. Veno of course, because I am most familiar with the class here, but she is pure HA Veno and will enter PVP at lvl 30.

I decided to stay with the Venomancer while I play with a Robed class HA type character because of my familiarity with the class and what they can do as an Arcane user and want to compare the differences. The biggest difference for this character is I am not going to CS with/for her so everything she has will be earned in game 100%. This means No Nix unless she earns it herself, No Herc unless she earns it herself, etc etc.

A see a lot of people saying that unless you use gold that you have no chance of really competing at higher levels. This may be true but I think I want to challenge this myself and either prove it or disprove it to my OWN satisfaction with a character that will be deliberately more difficult to work through as her primary attribute (magic) will be severely reduced to enable her to wear Heavy Armor.

Wish me luck.

*fake edit* Oh and Raydoit... thanks for encouraging me to stick around, if you hadn't of said what you had, I really may very well have quit. Now I have enough reason to stick around and try some new, more difficult things. You rock dude.

~Saitada
  • Fleez - Heavens Tear
    Fleez - Heavens Tear Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    You want something to do?? Go roll a wizard............ that'll keep ya busyb:laugh
    ATTENTION ALL: I would just like you to know....I has fleas.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    You want something to do?? Go roll a wizard............ that'll keep ya busyb:laugh

ROFLMAO yeah it would, and I'll roll it on HT just so I can be YOUR personal FLEA :-)

I'll pester you where ever you go. Follow you into the mouth of hell and make you itch and scratch constantly so you can't concentrate, then I will crawl into your ear and whisper evil things to you, slowly driving you insane... oh wait.. too late your already insane.. ok fine.. I will drive you sane b:shocked and then you will have to be normal.

I'm evil, what can I say lol.

~Saitada
  • Shirvenus - Heavens Tear
    Shirvenus - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Yeah basically just what it says. Been back a month or so and already burning out on PWI again. Just can't seem to find the thrill anymore. I am hoping that the new expansion will reawaken it otherwise I honestly fear the next time I leave PWI for a break, I just might not make it back.

So.. my question for you is, what do you do to 'keep the thrill'? Maybe some of your suggestions will help me grab the reigns again.

~Saitada
    This was so interesting (provocative) that i am making my first reply (yay). From day one this game just pulled me in. Yes level grinding was boring, but meeting so many different and interesting peope was a big + . I agree, that its a great idea to set goals, be it gear or level. And honestly the TW/ PVP aspect of the game rubbed me right, in that I didn't expect to fight someone one day and then be friends with them the next (hmmmm S & M huh lol). Also its great to watch others advance in level and their personal challenges, I feel very happy when friends or guildies reach their particular goal. Also its importaant to step away and breathe. Thank-you for for starting a very good thread, it made me take a look at myself and game time and ask, "What is it that I like in-game". Have fun in your future playing :) .
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    This was so interesting (provocative) that i am making my first reply (yay). From day one this game just pulled me in. Yes level grinding was boring, but meeting so many different and interesting peope was a big + . I agree, that its a great idea to set goals, be it gear or level. And honestly the TW/ PVP aspect of the game rubbed me right, in that I didn't expect to fight someone one day and then be friends with them the next (hmmmm S & M huh lol). Also its great to watch others advance in level and their personal challenges, I feel very happy when friends or guildies reach their particular goal. Also its importaant to step away and breathe. Thank-you for for starting a very good thread, it made me take a look at myself and game time and ask, "What is it that I like in-game". Have fun in your future playing :) .

I have played MMO's since before EQ was in Beta (yes I was a beta tester). Some will say 'but EQ was the grandfather of MMO's' and I will say.. not really. MMO's means Massive Multiplayer Online Game.... there have been a number of them that came before EQ (Tradewars 2002 was one of my favorites, I still have a BBS up that runs it for personal use lol).

I have played so many MMO's that I have found that sometimes I burn out REAL fast on them. I absolutely LOVE helping people achieve their goals, and love it when people level up etc. Always have been nicer in game than on the forums, simply because I do enjoy helping others (hell, my company is a customer service related company.).

Every game I have played I have always been one of the few people that could 'almost' always be counted on to come running to help a guild mate. But sometimes I just get tired of helping everyone else and not myself, and when that happens I start to lose interest in the game I am playing at the time and seek other games.

Currently I am playing 3 different MMO's (2 pay to play and PWI). I have a significant income from investments, and my company basically runs itself so I have a lot of free time. When I am not surfing, fishing, snorkling or looking at all the Wahines, I am in one or the other of the 3 I play.

It is good to look at what your doing from time to time and ask yourself "am I enjoying this?' If not.. why keep doing it? I am still enjoying PWI. I have to admit that Saitada is just too easy at this point and I am looking for something more difficult. So.. I rolled a HA veno and will try that, if thats not hard enough I will roll a HA wizard (roflmao.. yeah tell me THAT isn't gonna be a hard class to play).

We shall see.

~Saitada
  • Axel - Harshlands
    Axel - Harshlands Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    if thats not hard enough I will roll a HA wizard (roflmao.. yeah tell me THAT isn't gonna be a hard class to play).

We shall see.

~Saitada

The mobs pre-60 will hate you. You'll be this annoying little flea that just pokes them enough to annoy them, but that wont be able to get rid of you :P
    For some reason, I post more now then I did when I actually played this game...does that make me a troll?
    *Waiting on Tideborn*
  • Blackvoid - Sanctuary
    Blackvoid - Sanctuary Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    honestly the best thing that keeps me in the game is the people. not because they are nice or colourful but there are the few that you can pick at and pick at till they burst its kinda fun implanting small nitpicks of drama into people not very nice but then again they usually do something that makes e dislike them first other than that i found joy in catching up to my faction while goofing off at the same time you might not find it possible but i tend to run around doing nothing and still gain xp and no im not a rich boy who buys things from the cash shop trust me 80 dollars every two weeks doesnt bring much game money. but its fun find something you like to do with other people even if it isnt intirely "nice" odds are you wont see most of them ever again and those that still are nice to you will remain your friend for who knows how long. long story short play the game your way and who gives a #@!# what other people think its not their gaming experience its yours and if people dont like it they arent good enough for you (=
    i am the dark meaningless void that fills all of your souls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]