Catapult Build

lilyuffie
lilyuffie Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Barbarian
Which type of barbarian is better for tanking?
The 'tank' build.
or
The catapult build.
According to the quote, the catapult barbarians are uber tanks.
So I don't know anymore, wtf is a tank build when there's a build that clearly
gives more HP? How can a 'tank build' even be called that anymore?
This 'cata pull' build is nothing new. Its basically a tank build upto 70. Then they pump a bit less str to only 227 instead of 272 at 90 (for TT90 armors, not wep). They often use calamities and as such are of great help in armageddon squads (massive HP+ zerk).

I prefer to call them uber tanks. Personally I think grinding might be a bit of an issue for them, but apart from that they pwn.

Oh and as regards to tanking bosses and aggro. The barb's damage is not a factor. It does help, but its not important. Just need enough chi to spam fleshream.
The venos bramble on us often does as much or more damage than we barbs do. I have tanked wurlord in 2-1 without any weapon equipped at all (yes bare hands). Didnt lose aggro at all.
Post edited by lilyuffie on

Comments

• CornHilario - Heavens Tear
    CornHilario - Heavens Tear Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    i dont think a cata build exists O.o

tank build is THE build that gives you the MOST hp.

of course, u can sacrifice having the most up-to-date gear for what, a few extra points of vit?

so yeah, just go tank build. it does EVERYTHING for barbs, pvp, tank, cata, etc.
    One corn to rule them all and in the darkness cream them

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MS paint ftw. Disclaimer: my suit is actually gray, not black.

♥: The best f♥♥king censor ever. Always remember to show
    love to eachother on the forum even when you are cussing eachother out.
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    lilyuffie wrote: »
    Which type of barbarian is better for tanking?
    The 'tank' build.
    or
    The catapult build.
    According to the quote, the catapult barbarians are uber tanks.
    So I don't know anymore, wtf is a tank build when there's a build that clearly
    gives more HP? How can a 'tank build' even be called that anymore?

i wanna say clear that i havent been into TW yet...

i guess that cat pulling is just carring this siege engine to the tower u need to destroy, so to complete this role u need to stay alive an drive while other kills enemies and prevent them from destroy the cata or kill u.

but i think that both builds will be good for tanking.

one imply that ull sacrifice some STR to get a nice gap in VIT so u can take huge ammount of dmg and still stay alive. usually the cat pullers are SAGE BARB which are aknowledge by the char with most HP at all (more than 25k).

while other barbs TANK n DD can just go around killing the enemies and still be a good carrier if the cata-barb dies.

if u just look on HP then u might think that cat-barb are the best tank and solo surviving.

but do the tank is not just have HP, u need to be skilled...and usually supported by a good party. a good barb with 1 or 2 cler can tank everything. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I dont know any "catapult build" barbs that pull catapults in TW. All the 9x barbs I know get minimum str required for GX or the lunar wep. There is really no point to gimp yourself in terms of damage for some extra vit/hp imo.

The 60 str difference between GX and calamities = extra 60 vit
    60 vit = about 900hp (forgot the vit/hp ratio) and 1440hp when buffed.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I dont know any "catapult build" barbs that pull catapults in TW. All the 9x barbs I know get minimum str required for GX or the lunar wep. There is really no point to gimp yourself in terms of damage for some extra vit/hp imo.

b:chuckle I KNOW THIS IS SILLY...but since builds are based on skill distribution i think this is another way to focus a barbb:chuckle

im so waiting to go DEMON b:angryb:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • PikyWilly - Lost City
    PikyWilly - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2009

17 vit per point, so 60 vit=1020 hp
    using sage tiger 40% (since its a cata build..sage=pull cata) sage hp buff 35% and necklace 5%
    1020 x 1.80 = 1836 life :P

edit
    oh and 11 vit xs gives more life than 15 vit GX to so.. lol
    1020hp + 117 life difference = 1137 life = 2047 life :O
    which is like.. 6.4k arma dmg extra in human form
  • DaCage - Sanctuary
    DaCage - Sanctuary Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    TT90 GX 20m for each Gold mat
    Lunar Insignia Weapon 40m+
    Calamaties 1-3m
  • Feral_Wrath - Lost City
    Feral_Wrath - Lost City Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    You can tank bosses n such just fine with the standard barb build, sage or demon.

The "cata" build is for those who, as the name suggests, pull cata in TW. I'm a cata build but instead of Calamities I use the Pan Ghu's Giant Axe, which requires 252 str, still 20 less than GX and gives more vit and HP than calamities, as well as a very nice ability that can reduce damage taken by 20%. I plan to stay statted this way because I eventually plan to get tt99 armor set, which kicks **** and wouldnt work with the minimum strength build. Honestly, I dont know why some cata pullers in TW have GX equipped...you can just equip calamities or pan ghus if you have it for more HP since you shouldnt be attacking anyway...maybe im just nitpicking.

Anyway, im a lvl 91 sage barb with sage true form, sage beast kings inspiration and +4 gears. I currently have 19k HP in true form, 14.8k in human form. I LOVE this build and even outside of territory wars the incredibly survivability is hard to pass up for me. And if you have sage axe and hammer mastery it makes up for the damage loss very nicely. And of course theres the insanely powerful armageddon.
  • Cleon - Harshlands
    Cleon - Harshlands Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    17 vit per point, so 60 vit=1020 hp
    using sage tiger 40% (since its a cata build..sage=pull cata) sage hp buff 35% and necklace 5%
    1020 x 1.80 = 1836 life :P

edit
    oh and 11 vit xs gives more life than 15 vit GX to so.. lol
    1020hp + 117 life difference = 1137 life = 2047 life :O
    which is like.. 6.4k arma dmg extra in human form

The difference is only about 1.2k hp in tiger form for demon, for sage it's a little bit more and for both it is less then 1k in humanoid form.

FYI, 6.4k extra damage (zerk and crit) is only about 1.5k in PvP (1/2 reduction and lets say the other player has about 50% physical defense, but if the player is fully buffed its about 500-800 more damage).

The difference in patk is about 2k. So, you can choose to have ~1k more hp or ~2k more damage, with the same refines.

Let's not forget that you can have both axes, use GX for pk and XS when pulling a cata, although the Pan Ghu's are better then both for cata pulling (more hp and have the shield which procs pretty often, use sunder or surf impact to get the shield effect).

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/ - do the math your self if you don't believe me.
  • SchwarzeWolf - Lost City
    SchwarzeWolf - Lost City Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    the catapult build is not a separate build from the tank build, it is more of an adaptation or a derivation of it. The only things that change between the 2 builds are the weapon used (and the str/dex associated with it).

Take 2 level 95 barbs, both with full 90 sets to +6, same stones, same stats. One uses HH90 axes (min str and min dex to use them), the other uses XS (requires no more str or dex than what is needed to wear the 90 set). Assuming ALL extra points are allocated to vit, the "cata" build barb will have much more hp given the hp on the XS and from the points that are not being allocated into dex and str.

Upside: you will have a ton of hp- high survivability, high perditon damage
    Downside: you damage outside of perd, is going to be slightly reduced

Disclaimer: I am a lvl 100 Hell wb that pulls cata for CQ, i use HH90 atm +6 g7 sharded, and i use HH99 axes. This means i am an abnormal tank build.
  • Impetus - Lost City
    Impetus - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    PikyWilly GTFO of my barb thread. :D