system specs?

Thraxx - Heavens Tear
Thraxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 59 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Support Desk
Ok I got a new lappy a while ago to play the game but it wouldnt run very well..
think 20 times worse than the lag in west arch during a school holiday and you are close to what the new lappy is running like.
It wasnt a problem because my old lappy still ran it perfectly but recently my old lappy got destroyed by my cat b:cry
sooo I now have to use the new lappy. according to all my friends it should be running pwi fine with the specs it has

cpu: intel celeron dual core 1.86GHz
RAM: 1GB
GFX: SiS Mirage 3 Graphics (sis672 series) 311MB

My isp hasnt changed so I know it isnt that.. any ideas?
b:surrender I need my pw fix!b:cry lol
My alarm tried to wake me this morning,Things escalated and now my alarms broken and im awake. . . Not quite sure who won . . . .
Post edited by Thraxx - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Vitsa + 1gb ram = badbadbad

Rather weak laptop imo.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • ribonuclear
    ribonuclear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I've got Vista and 1GB of RAM too. :< Try turning off all higher-quality settings; in towns, angle your camera to look straight down on you and zoom in a bit, and if it's still so slow try defragmenting your hard drive and running Ad-Aware or similar to limit out the possibility of malware slowing you down.

You can also go into Task Manager --> Processes, and stop any extraneous processes (such as HP DVD startup, Acrobat Speedlauncher etc for me: you probably have different ones). But be very careful about that, because shutting down the wrong processes will make things go "ow". Don't shut down anything that doesn't have a clearly defined and recognisable program name, for example, or anything that you're not sure what it's doing.
  • EsquireFox - Dreamweaver
    EsquireFox - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Vista is quite the memory hog. You could fall back to Windows XP or do a free upgrade to Windows 7 (which is a little less of a memory hog) if you bought your laptop with that guarantee. Otherwise, you could try putting Linux on the laptop as your primary or dual boot operating system. But then installing and using the game becomes a challenge of its own since Linux isn't supported without software to assist it.

You can find the System Requirements for Perfect World International around the middle of this page:
    http://pwi.perfectworld.com/download
    As you are running Vista, 1 GB of RAM just meets the very minimum requirement to play. You could try upgrading the memory, but it really isn't worth it since your graphics card could be low performance as well. Make sure your graphics card driver is up to date and... wait...

Perhaps it would just be best to play it on your desktop b:shocked.
  • Thraxx - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    lol well I stopped all non essensial processes and still no luck.
    My drivers are up to date
    I cant use the desktop cos I dont have 1 lol
    but like you said, it meets minimum spec requirements so idk why it wont play T.T
    I get the lag even in the middle of nowhere with all the settings at minimum =/
    perhaps the minimum specs are too unrealistic? b:surrender
    My alarm tried to wake me this morning,Things escalated and now my alarms broken and im awake. . . Not quite sure who won . . . .
  • EsquireFox - Dreamweaver
    EsquireFox - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    As a good rule of thumb, minimum means the requirements to basically open and run the software. Meeting the minimum requirements doesn't mean you can run it well though.

It probably is just your graphics card though. From the sounds of it, the card is integrated into your motherboard, a gamer's worst nightmare. If you bought your laptop on a small budget, it can't hold its own against massive 3d software such as this b:surrender.
  • Devilmaycare - Harshlands
    Devilmaycare - Harshlands Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I hope you didn't pay much for that laptop.... if you payed more than $150 you got ripped baddly
  • Devilmaycare - Harshlands
    Devilmaycare - Harshlands Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    As a good rule of thumb, minimum means the requirements to basically open and run the software. Meeting the minimum requirements doesn't mean you can run it well though.

It probably is just your graphics card though. From the sounds of it, the card is integrated into your motherboard, a gamer's worst nightmare. If you bought your laptop on a small budget, it can't hold its own against massive 3d software such as this b:surrender.

Not true, you just have to know how to shop for PC hardware.

For less than $500 you can have a laptop with

AMD 64 X2 or Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 Gb ram
    300+Gb HDD
    Nvidia GeForce or Ati Radeon integrated graphics chipset
    256MB or better dedicated V-ram and an ungodly amount of shared V-ram
    Windows 7

It's all about knowing what you want and knowing where to look.... don't let the PC salesman flimflam ya, take someone with ya who knows thier stuff
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2009
    It wasnt a problem because my old lappy still ran it perfectly but recently my old lappy got destroyed by my cat b:cry
    What the hell did your cat DO?b:shocked
    GFX: SiS Mirage 3 Graphics (sis672 series) 311MB
    This right here is the problem. SiS graphics cards are notoriously bad at anything 3D. Unfortunately, though, there's not much you can do without getting a new system, given that it's almost certainly integrated with the motherboard.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• Thraxx - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Surtr wrote: »
    What the hell did your cat DO?b:shocked

This right here is the problem. SiS graphics cards are notoriously bad at anything 3D. Unfortunately, though, there's not much you can do without getting a new system, given that it's almost certainly integrated with the motherboard.

lol my cat dropped a very heavy metal vase onto it by knocking it off the shelf b:cry it started working again but the next day he managed to push it off the damn desk.. b:angry
    So yeah.. I dont like cats anymore =/

but thanks for clearing that up.. I was afraid it would be the graphics.
    Kinda hoped you would say its the ram..
    If I was to up my ram would it make much difference do you think or should I just cut my losses and find a new system?
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2009
    The RAM is actually not too bad. Unfortunately, simply adding more won't help much if at all, so you're better off just cutting your losses and getting a new one.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• Thraxx - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    Surtr wrote: »
    The RAM is actually not too bad. Unfortunately, simply adding more won't help much if at all, so you're better off just cutting your losses and getting a new one.

ok thanks Surtr :)

lol not the answer I hoped for but its better than sitting here shouting at the screen b:chuckle
    you can close the thread now I got my answer b:pleasedb:bye
    thanks again and I hope to see yall again soon xD

*grumbles* Damned cat b:angry
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    lol my cat dropped a very heavy metal vase onto it by knocking it off the shelf b:cry it started working again but the next day he managed to push it off the damn desk.. b:angry
    So yeah.. I dont like cats anymore =/

Damn....
    10 char
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
This discussion has been closed.