Hey look, an art thread.

Ixiel - Sanctuary
Ixiel - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Off-Topic Discussion
EDIT to add: As much as I enjoy looking at others' art, I'd like to request that you please make your own thread if you wish to show off your work.

Posting this just for funs. I've seen a bunch of PW art in the fanatics forum, so I figured I'd post mine. Though it has nothing to do with PWI, so I it's more fit for the OT. :P

Now, I like to nitpick as far as body and facial proportions go. Due to this, I put so much effort into one drawing that it almost never gets finished, let alone coloured. Also, since I stopped inking, some pencil sketches may display very lightly on some monitors so you may not be able to see some of the images very well.

I'd like to point out that with the exception of the MMO fanart in the 2008 section, all designs are my original work. Please do not use these designs as your own. Some of these characters may be inclined to come to life and tear your limbs off if you do.

2009:
nixiel015.jpg
ixiel016.jpg
ixis013.jpg
ixis014.jpg
chimaera006.jpg
brutemale008.jpg
brutefemale009.jpg
manticore007.jpg
Ixis.jpg
Ixishead.jpg
IxielIxis.jpg
Spikedetail.jpg
Lolhammer 40k model painting: (his mouth and some other details were not finished during these pics)
4969_1158196949425_1062786838_30462.jpg
4969_1158196989426_1062786838_30462.jpg
4969_1158197069428_1062786838_30462.jpg
4969_1158197029427_1062786838_30462.jpg

2008: (I know the mention of certain MMOs is not allowed on this forum. I am unsure if fanart from that MMO is allowed.)
lumiibylumineya.jpg
ingmaesingbylumineya.jpg
gangurobloodelfhuntress.jpg
michaeleyebylumineya.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7206/michaelbellelineartbylu.jpg

2007:
lunarenigmabylumineya.jpg
sorenbylumineya.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5919/demonlumineyalineartbyl.jpg
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5222/lumineyascoriginaldesig.png
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6751/phikuportraitlineartbyl.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6096/sifiandchusiokiilineart.jpg

2006:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1688/lumineyabylumineya.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/563/lumineyacolouredbylumin.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1539/phikucolouredbylumineya.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9388/sifibylumineya.jpg
A B and C, abandoned but controlled.
M can't you see? Half of me was sold.
X Y and Z, Xerox your zombies then
there's nothing here but
Life 1 0 1.
Post edited by Ixiel - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Added more 2007-2008. Added a 2006 section full of disproportioned ****.
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Nice work here. The pics are really nice. You have a deviantart page for this stuff? Or are they just kinda floating around your hard drive/ table (or wherever you have the hard copies stored)?

Lousy good artist making me pay attention to my total lack of artistic talent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    Nice work here. The pics are really nice. You have a deviantart page for this stuff? Or are they just kinda floating around your hard drive/ table (or wherever you have the hard copies stored)?

Lousy good artist making me pay attention to my total lack of artistic talent.

I've got a DA, but it has none of my recent work. I'm not really a fan of DA. :(

Most of my work is just floating around. I've got several images that I've never scanned and have lost (for now).
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I'm not really a fan of DA. :(

+1
    DA = ****

So much plagiarized stuff floating around on there and all the comments are variations of either "OMFG ITS SO AWESOME!!!11" or "You suck. Your drawings suck. You should just kill yourself." I used to have a DA account as well. I've since taken everything down and took a chainsaw to my scanner to resist any future temptations (that **** was fun).b:cute

Now that that's out of the way, onto my comments. I'll only comment on your 2009 art since you've already improved on your previous work.

Proportions are much better than what they used to be. The brutes' heads seem to be a little too big which, combined with their thick limbs, makes them look a bit stumpy. Nothing wrong with that but usually when I think of the word "brute" then I imagine over-muscled thing that's taller than an average man (not necessarily gigantic, just tall).

The chimaera (in mythology) is a combination of a lion, ram, and snake (or was that the manticore?). Obviously, you don't need to follow that line of thought when drawing and I actually like the somewhat anthropomorphic view you've taken with it.

I can't really remember what a manticore was supposed to look like. Too many mythological beasts use parts from lions.b:surrender I'm pretty sure that your version doesn't follow the mythological "roots" of manticores though. Again, I still like it even if it isn't "accurate" (not like it's a real animal anyway...watch me get eaten by a manticore in the futureb:avoid).

Moving onto your "human" drawings. Nothing to really criticize in regards to proportions. Only gripe I have about those is that you need to finish them.b:angry I will say that my favorite picture is this one though. It looks (and probably is) unfinished but I think it's fine the way it is. The hood and dragon have little detail which leaves the face (what we can see of it) to draw one's attention. The fact that it's off-center makes the drawing more interesting that it would otherwise be and the dragon's head, while placed a bit randomly, removes some of the empty space. If the dragon were a little more to the right then I would have suggested drawing a neck leading behind the head so that it would look as if it were perching on the person's shoulder (the one that's out of view) instead of just floating there. Finish it however you want, don't hold back just because of the advice of some random person on the internet.

Another thing I'd like to add, I like how you posted your older drawings even though you admitted that there are a few mistakes. It's always interesting to see how others have improved over time.
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited October 2009
    I keep forgetting to reply to this. >,<
    +1
    DA = ****

So much plagiarized stuff floating around on there and all the comments are variations of either "OMFG ITS SO AWESOME!!!11" or "You suck. Your drawings suck. You should just kill yourself." I used to have a DA account as well. I've since taken everything down and took a chainsaw to my scanner to resist any future temptations (that **** was fun).b:cute

Trufax. Plus there's so much drama floating around that site.
    The chimaera (in mythology) is a combination of a lion, ram, and snake (or was that the manticore?). Obviously, you don't need to follow that line of thought when drawing and I actually like the somewhat anthropomorphic view you've taken with it.

Chimaera was the temporary name for that thing. Since then it's changed to a Gargoyle, but I never bothered to fix the name.

But yes, you have it right. Lioness, goat, and snake.
    I can't really remember what a manticore was supposed to look like. Too many mythological beasts use parts from lions.b:surrender I'm pretty sure that your version doesn't follow the mythological "roots" of manticores though. Again, I still like it even if it isn't "accurate" (not like it's a real animal anyway...watch me get eaten by a manticore in the futureb:avoid).
    Manticores have the body of a lion, head of a human, and the tail of a scorpion, generally. I tried to avoid using a human head because it just looked so weird. :x
    Moving onto your "human" drawings. Nothing to really criticize in regards to proportions. Only gripe I have about those is that you need to finish them.b:angry I will say that my favorite picture is this one though. It looks (and probably is) unfinished but I think it's fine the way it is. The hood and dragon have little detail which leaves the face (what we can see of it) to draw one's attention. The fact that it's off-center makes the drawing more interesting that it would otherwise be and the dragon's head, while placed a bit randomly, removes some of the empty space. If the dragon were a little more to the right then I would have suggested drawing a neck leading behind the head so that it would look as if it were perching on the person's shoulder (the one that's out of view) instead of just floating there. Finish it however you want, don't hold back just because of the advice of some random person on the internet.

The dragon (same dragon that's in the unfinished paintings) is another form of that character. The dragon head is the only thing in that image that's really "unfinished", and what I was planning on doing in the end is shrouding the head in a sort of "darkness".
    Another thing I'd like to add, I like how you posted your older drawings even though you admitted that there are a few mistakes. It's always interesting to see how others have improved over time.

:P

For some reason, I used to be great at drawing legs and couldn't proportion facial features, now I can barely manage legs and have greatly improved at faces. :(

I'll be getting a lot of pratise soon. I've been tasked with doing a bit of animation. ;_;
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • LoubyLoo - Sanctuary
    LoubyLoo - Sanctuary Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    very cool :)
    b:mischievous
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Bump. Gonna try to add more within the next couple of days, since I found some.
    there's nothing here but
    Life 1 0 1.
  • Ixiel - Sanctuary
    edited November 2009
    Bump.

Some of the 2008 links seem to be broken. :/