some questions about Demon and Sage

Options
demans
demans Posts: 51 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Wizard
im going to turn 89 soon, so i wanted to ask somethin about goin demon or sage, i see a lot of sage wizards enjoying the extra chi they get from i guess pryogram and a lv 89 cult skill? was thinkin of goin sage for the chi gain, but i looked over the differences in the skill ablities at 89+, and a lot of the sage skills seem the suck compared the demon skills, i mean sage BIDS(well the other 2 ultis as well), WoF, and pryo r nice, but a lot of the other ones, the more basic ones ur gonna use the most, r either terrible or not much bette rthan the demon skills. I'm probably missing something here, anyway, can people who are acually demon/sage wizards tell me what makes ur choice so good (pvp and pve wize) or y it was a horrible descion and u wish u could reselect? lol ty
Post edited by demans on

Comments

• Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    it all comes down to personal preference.. and there are already tons of threads about this topic..
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • TehMage - Lost City
    TehMage - Lost City Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It's amazing how many of these threads are made, you'd think by now everyone would know what to be at 89 from lvl 20 b:chuckle
  • demans
    edited November 2009
    Options
    ya i know there r a lot of these threads already...alright then here a question, what exactly gives a sage so much chi? only chi move i see if pyrogram and i think sage gets a move that increaes chi as well after cult? which one (demon or sage) does better dps? which is better for pve (assuming u AoE grind). which is better off in pvp?
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Sage:
    - 50 chi every minute
    - Pyrogram chance to give extra chi
    - Distance Shrink uses half chi
    - 50% chance of halving chi/spark cost for BT/Seize

And yeah, it adds up really fast. 10 chi distance shrink makes a huge difference, but more than I thought when I got it.

It's actually kind of fun distance shrinking every 10 seconds and still gaining chi over time, makes moving through instances pretty fast even without using holy path.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    demans wrote: »
    ya i know there r a lot of these threads already...alright then here a question, what exactly gives a sage so much chi? only chi move i see if pyrogram and i think sage gets a move that increaes chi as well after cult? which one (demon or sage) does better dps? which is better for pve (assuming u AoE grind). which is better off in pvp?

kristoph is right, and to answer your other questions.. better dps would probably be sage due to extra dmg from masteries and more sparks, pve.. sage wins with almost unlimited mana (spark more often.. so more mp given back) and having extra chi to get off more ults or open DB. PvP is constantly debated.. TW sage is better because more chi so more ults and the ults are better, and 1v1 or world pvp is debated. Demons argue that they have faster channeling, higher crit, and better contol skills.. while sage argues that it takes chi to finish somebody off.. and they have more (i.e. you'd probably need to use BT to finish off a cleric, and sage gets more chi to use BT more often, or a barb.. ud prolly need to sutra or use an ult to kill them)
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    well from your name "demans" which just be "demons" with a "a" instead of a "o"
    me thinks you going demon.
    b:chuckle
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hizaki - Dreamweaver
    Hizaki - Dreamweaver Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    or maybe hes DE man. ;>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hizaki - 89 Wizard
    Gansuringa - 25 Assassin
  • demans
    edited November 2009
    Options
    my name has nothin to do with demon or sage lol, been usin name for about 3-4 years now...anyway...from whats been said sage looks more appealing bc of the chi thing, still gonna miss some of the demon skills ill iss out on though lol...ty everoyne for the info
    edited November 2009
    Options
    demans wrote: »
    my name has nothin to do with demon or sage lol, been usin name for about 3-4 years now...anyway...from whats been said sage looks more appealing bc of the chi thing, still gonna miss some of the demon skills ill iss out on though lol...ty everoyne for the info

they did that on purpose. b:shocked
    give some really nice skills to demon and some really nice skills to sage. then watch and laugh at us while we try to decide.
    (>.<)'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xegeth - Dreamweaver
    Xegeth - Dreamweaver Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I don't think the final damage when considering masteries is that higher for Sage. I know it has been calculated through, but as far as I remember, the 3% extra crit from Demon masteries weren't considered. And 3% crit is the same as 3% more total damage in average, plus the spike damage has the same effect as ultis when bypassing charms. It may be that sage still wins with high refines, but in my opinion the whole matter is not really "sage = wins, demon = sucks" like many sage mages keep telling..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    So finally I have it(sage). And first feeling? AWESOME
    The main difference is in chi. I have MUCH more chi, than I had before, thanks to master li technique and sage pyro. Is really insane. I can do 2 spark every second minute. Also 3 spark is amazing. It gave me 20% mana back so that really nice. The most amazing skill is for sure master li technique. I wouldn't say before, that chi is soooooo important. It allows me to get mana back, increase attack, and faster flying(using distance shrink when flying ) And the best thing is, that is absolutely FREE. I'm using it every minute for sure. As I sad I can do 2 spark very, very very,very often now.

I posted this 2 days ago. And to have lot of chi is big difference in game. If you have chi you can do lot of things. For example today chi saved my life in BH 79. I had 2 spark very easily and quickly. So I used sutra + healing and I was saved. After 30s I could use ultimates or 2sparks again. My best combo what I figure out for now is, 2spark + Frostblade + utility=beautiful damage. ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Options
    why not 2 spark gush/fow/any other quick casting spell lols
    might as well make that downtime do something useful.
    xD
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Options
    why not 2 spark gush/fow/any other quick casting spell lols
    might as well make that downtime do something useful.
    xD

I just like it. Of course is 100 possibilities how use 2spark + couple spells. But I like mine. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xegeth - Dreamweaver
    Xegeth - Dreamweaver Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Gratz on Sage. b:victory Nice work! I will tell about first Demon experiences as soon as I have it.. But it's still a pretty long way to go... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Gratz on Sage. b:victory Nice work! I will tell about first Demon experiences as soon as I have it.. But it's still a pretty long way to go... b:surrender

Thanks :-) From 80 to 89 is going very very very slow. But little help repeatable quest punish the devil. Last 20% of 88 level was the worse. I took vacation from work because of that.b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Don't worry, 9x is going to be much, much worse.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Don't worry, 9x is going to be much, much worse.

what?b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NonameWiz - Sanctuary
    NonameWiz - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    what?b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked

It takes a VERY LONG time to lvl upb:cry
    Rank 8 Wizard: 1% farm b:shutup
  • Calliope - Heavens Tear
    Calliope - Heavens Tear Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It's like 2-3 weeks if I only do dailies, or less than a week if you Rebirth often. That seems fine to me, it's not like there are a lot of levels left to go. I think it's faster than some of the lower level ranges were pre-BH, too.