Are Archers The Most Expencive Class?

Options
XShadowFoxX - Harshlands
XShadowFoxX - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Archer
alot of People say clerics are the most expencive but are they really i mean archers have to buy arrows and armour clerics only need armour and maby a few mp pots,

what's your peoples opinion?
Post edited by XShadowFoxX - Harshlands on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Not archer. If anything, I would say.. barbs then clerics are the more expensive.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    archers are the second cheapest in terms of grinding. veno's win because they have a pet and have hp/mp gaining skills.

we only really need to use 2 skills for killing in pve, frost arrow and knockback. frost arrow is like 80 mana at level 10 and knockback you should leave at level 1. winged shell will recharge the little mana that you use. 2 coins per arrow is extremely low even at level 1. we rarely get hit so that means almost no hp pots or repairs.

grinding at 8x i could use no charms and no pots and never have to slow down on miji.

pvp is another thing.
  • XShadowFoxX - Harshlands
    XShadowFoxX - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    archers are the second cheapest in terms of grinding. veno's win because they have a pet and have hp/mp gaining skills.

we only really need to use 2 skills for killing in pve, frost arrow and knockback. frost arrow is like 80 mana at level 10 and knockback you should leave at level 1. winged shell will recharge the little mana that you use. 2 coins per arrow is extremely low even at level 1. we rarely get hit so that means almost no hp pots or repairs.

grinding at 8x i could use no charms and no pots and never have to slow down on miji.

pvp is another thing.

so you don't use any arrows higher than lvl 1 arrows?
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    You can make a cleric cheaper if you play it right. Personally I think barbs are the most expensive because they have much higher repairs as well as charm costs when they tank things, and they tend to get called a lot to tank because there's not that many of them. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    nope, not really. when you get 65+ you should have enough attack to frost, and then kill things before they get to you. (thats how it is at least for me :P) if they do have incr life or def, knockback/stunning arrow save the day as well. i only need to repair my weapon after long leveling periods, and it only comes out to be a couple k.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    There's no point in using better ammo for grinding and PvE. As has been mentioned, Frost Arrow, Knockback, and Winged Shell are enough to grind with minimal HP/MP cost. Using higher-grade ammo doesn't really make grinding any faster, and costs MUCH more. When fighting bosses usually we want to keep our damage low rather than higher.

For PvP, you'll want to use the best ammo you can though.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    For regular grinding?

Archers are second cheapest in the game following venos (having the pet tank and, in essence, near-infinite HP/MP via soul transfuse, nature's grace, and metabolic boost)

For PvP? Totally different story.

Oh and don't zhen with barrage above level 1 or do RB with a MP charm. Barrage is the fastest way to **** a MP charm around.
  • Oneshotu - Lost City
    Oneshotu - Lost City Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    they are the cheapest besides veno.(unless you zhen)
    So the Dead guy says "LOL you fail, you didnt even one shot me"
    Nuf said.
  • Shikyura - Sanctuary
    Shikyura - Sanctuary Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    so you don't use any arrows higher than lvl 1 arrows?

yes
    they are the cheapest besides veno.(unless you zhen)

what? if i heard you right you said ZHEN is cheaper then veno costs for an archer? nvm i misread
  • Ussichu - Sanctuary
    Ussichu - Sanctuary Posts: 429 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    They are the cheapest class period when you imply armor and weapon cost in a PvE server. Windcatcher for 200k and WatC for 100k seriously :\ and light armor legendary armor is like 500-600k for 70s and 700-800k 80s a piece.

Of course in a PK environment its expensive for everyone XD...
    Navarre was your everyday veno, until she learned her true form. Now she's fox walloping and purging over and over again.. all for a deep stinging, head hunting, wind pushing Assassin. Will there be inner harmony and myriad rainbows? But of course! Yuri&Lemon Find it on Fanfiction XD "Discovering Sanctuary" Chapter 2 is up ^_^
  • SashaSlick - Sanctuary
    SashaSlick - Sanctuary Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It can be very cheap if u can max your damage since every arrow cost u money. And since the mob didn't hit u, means no repair cost for armor.

Example:

kill 1 mob = 5 arrows needed ----> 25 coins
    100 mob = 500 arrows ----> 2500 coins

If u can max ur damage n only need 3 arrows

kill 1 mob = 3 arrows ----> 15 coins
    100 mob = 300 arrows ----> 1500 coins

1 more thing, if ur Hp/Mp is getting low. Meditate! Only use pots in an emergency like when ur been attacked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    It can be very cheap if u can max your damage since every arrow cost u money. And since the mob didn't hit u, means no repair cost for armor.

Example:

kill 1 mob = 5 arrows needed ----> 25 coins
    100 mob = 500 arrows ----> 2500 coins

If u can max ur damage n only need 3 arrows

kill 1 mob = 3 arrows ----> 15 coins
    100 mob = 300 arrows ----> 1500 coins

1 more thing, if ur Hp/Mp is getting low. Meditate! Only use pots in an emergency like when ur been attacked.

Very time inefficient.

Also you're suggesting to do the most damage per arrow shot. This is only done by either using stronger arrows or using skills. i.e in a way you're suggesting skill spamming.

No.

For efficiency without dropping coin out of your pockets:
    *Get -interval gear; autoshoot as much as possible.
    *Do not care about lvl 1 arrow expenditure. In fact, care about how fast you can kill in an hour and work out how much on average you can gain.
    *An Archer should never meditate because:
    1. we have low base regen and doubling **** is ****.
    2. A potion will most likely be free as there should be an average gain of potions (either kind). This means you're trading a potion for time, which the potion costs nothing on your behalf.
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Archers are extremely cheap to maintain as per my experience. In fact this is one of the reasons I chose this class over my usual pick of a melee DD (here it wud be a BM).

Using the lvl1 arrows (Woven Fang Arrows) should ensure you dont spend much on ammo. In fact the cost of ammo is negligible when compared to how much you make per hour.

As for potions, I usually donate the potions to friends if they need it since I usually get a lot of potions accumulating which I rarely even use. Using 1 or 2 per hour is nothing :P. You might wanna use Winged Shell for regaining lost MP in case youre running low.
  • hemoglobin
    hemoglobin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    no its not that bad. i heard venos spend alot
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    for most expensive cost its a tossup between barbs (crazy repair costs) or an all weapons bm (ya YOU try maxing 4 seperate skill trees and getting a full set of good weapons to go with it b:cry)

that said clerics (pricy charms are pricy) and endgame archers (need +8 or better gear to keep alive long enough to run) come in a close second

venos have a high initial investment aka a herc but that fat ugly lil ornge baby pays for itself via solo'd tt 1-3's eventualy

wizzies are at the bottom of the spensivnes list (dun need good armor when everythings a one shot lol) but most chose to invest anyways

just my 2 centsb:bye
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Endrnz - Dreamweaver
    Endrnz - Dreamweaver Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    alot of People say clerics are the most expencive but are they really i mean archers have to buy arrows and armour clerics only need armour and maby a few mp pots,

Well considering that many people have told you they are not expensive, I will not repeat them lol.

Although as you get better weapons and killing becomes much easier...in the earlier levels I found that the basic archer killing combo

Frost -> Normal (x2) -> Knockback -> Normal (till death)

just didn't work...so what I did was came up with a new combo that worked like a charm...and that was

Take Aim -> Quickshot -> Knockback -> Frost -> Quickshot -> Normal (if close finish with lightning)

now as you can see this other combo (the one I made) is VERY MP intensive, so the cost of Mana was prety DAM high for me but I still made a profit by selling DQ items and etc. but the profit was VERY VERY little and as a result I was able to save only 660k (after spending like 500k) on skills by level 49.

So, in conclusion I would say that yes archers can be expensive at some stages of the leveling process but overall are cheap and effective levelers expecially compared to Barb (repair costs), and all caster classes (MP intensive FOREVER)

Hope my 2cents helps you :)
  • Smobo - Heavens Tear
    Smobo - Heavens Tear Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Well considering that many people have told you they are not expensive, I will not repeat them lol.

Although as you get better weapons and killing becomes much easier...in the earlier levels I found that the basic archer killing combo

Frost -> Normal (x2) -> Knockback -> Normal (till death)

just didn't work...so what I did was came up with a new combo that worked like a charm...and that was

Take Aim -> Quickshot -> Knockback -> Frost -> Quickshot -> Normal (if close finish with lightning)

now as you can see this other combo (the one I made) is VERY MP intensive, so the cost of Mana was prety DAM high for me but I still made a profit by selling DQ items and etc. but the profit was VERY VERY little and as a result I was able to save only 660k (after spending like 500k) on skills by level 49.

So, in conclusion I would say that yes archers can be expensive at some stages of the leveling process but overall are cheap and effective levelers expecially compared to Barb (repair costs), and all caster classes (MP intensive FOREVER)

Hope my 2cents helps you :)

Its typically considered bad forum etiquette to bring up really old posts. You have posted on 2 threads which are several months old in the past couple minutes. I'd suggest you stop doing this, because some people can be very hostile about this, and you may make the moderators angry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "People who quote themselves in their signatures are silly. I mean, they can just make up whatever **** they want, and since they said it in their siggie, its a quote." - Smobo
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I would say below lvl 50 they can some what costly using ammo and lots of pots.They don't end up with big repair bill such as barb or cleric.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Barbs are much more expensive to play than archers. My 5X archer has more coin than my barb ever did at that low a level. I had 1mill saved while I was still in my 4Xs...On my barb I was lvl70 before I ever had more than 500K.

Repair costs on archer are very, very low. (2.5K vs barb @20K for 1 hour same level grinding.)

Sure, you have to buy ammo...or convince others in your faction to donate or sell ammo to you. Even still, the amount of ingame coin spent as an archer is minimal compared to barb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Veronica_ - Heavens Tear
    Veronica_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Archers are not the most expensive class in the game :

For repair - usualy on mods you get hit 1-2 times even at melee mods so the rapair bill isn't hight.... of course it kinda depense on how you play.......
    For ammo - for grinding use lowest grade , no need for more unless TW or pvp then.
    For pots - They usually fall from mods and don't need much but until lvl 65-70 archers use more pots but after that they start using a low amount.

In my opinion I kinda think that archer's are actualy the cheapest class b:surrender becase resently becase of packs for a veno a herc costs a lot of money b:cute *cought* 100 mil b:shocked
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Wow, I didn't even remember posting in this thread b:shocked necro!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • DrkLordZ - Sanctuary
    DrkLordZ - Sanctuary Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options

I do not see how people think Arrows are expensive, i rather just buy those 2 coin arrows for grinding and the more expensive arrow for when i Pvp. 1000 arrows can last me 2 days, so i spend 2k every days.

When i hear people say that archers are expensive, i believe it is the fact that they have to shard their armor with level6+ critines. Considering we are forced to wear light armor for our amazing attack power, we have low hp and defense. Right now i have 4k hp, without any gear, i got 2.4kb:victory
    Please donate money into my mailbox :)

I'm poor as heck.
  • SurferGirl - Dreamweaver
    SurferGirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    idk and idc about pve but for pvp and if u want to be really good barbs clerics and wiz are at the top i would say barbs cuz of charms reapair etc but lucky for them armors are cheap compare to arcane

arcane cost so damn much and not to mention weps and sage wiz pay even more for skills idk about other servers but its close to impoisble to find a skill for sage wiz other then the first 3 and if 1 shows up its for alot of money but i mean a LOT of money the other day i saw a sage bid..... 65m /b:surrender

also wiz and clerics have to get almost every spell and max them out cuz we cant depend on normal hits like archers do or bms so ye every ult take from a wiz close to 4-3m coins if not more

thats just what i think tho
  • Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver
    Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    idk and idc about pve but for pvp and if u want to be really good barbs clerics and wiz are at the top i would say barbs cuz of charms reapair etc but lucky for them armors are cheap compare to arcane

arcane cost so damn much and not to mention weps and sage wiz pay even more for skills idk about other servers but its close to impoisble to find a skill for sage wiz other then the first 3 and if 1 shows up its for alot of money but i mean a LOT of money the other day i saw a sage bid..... 65m /b:surrender

also wiz and clerics have to get almost every spell and max them out cuz we cant depend on normal hits like archers do or bms so ye every ult take from a wiz close to 4-3m coins if not more

thats just what i think tho

Surfer, you know I adore you and all. . .but please honey, use punctuation. lol. Endgame for all classes costs a ton. Fb99 skillbooks are rare drops and also high in demand. Event gear haha. Do I even have to talk about the cost of that?

But PVE, I'd have to say archers definitely aren't the most expensive class by far. Wizards have to hp/mp pot their butts off in the earlier levels, and if they aren't charmed, dying multiple times an hour is common.
  • SurferGirl - Dreamweaver
    SurferGirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Surfer, you know I adore you and all. . .but please honey, use punctuation. lol. Endgame for all classes costs a ton. Fb99 skillbooks are rare drops and also high in demand. Event gear haha. Do I even have to talk about the cost of that?

But PVE, I'd have to say archers definitely aren't the most expensive class by far. Wizards have to hp/mp pot their butts off in the earlier levels, and if they aren't charmed, dying multiple times an hour is common.
    Fine mage im sticking to wiz section then i feel like argue with thos lost city ppl b:victory
  • Dractonis - Lost City
    Dractonis - Lost City Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options

Definitely not archer. If you're doing regular grinding you don't need MP pots/charm as your normal shots/stuns/knockback/frost will cover anything you come across - and perhaps the occasional wingspan in a desperate situation b:chuckle

Always grind with the cheapest arrows. I used to make the mistake of buying the most expensive arrows I could and I went broke fast that way. Also a tip would be to ask your non-archer friends to not NPC that elite/expensive ammo when they pick them up from grinding. I have a shortlist of people that mail me arrows every week so I never go short on what I need for PKing.

And yeah every class needs armour, not sure where you were going with that point? O_O

Think of the amount of healing clerics have to do, the fact that wizards use MP to attack, BMs and barbs tanking bosses and their equipment repairs, and the money venomancers have to spend not only on themselves but their pets as well (though it's said they have better prospects for generating income, too) and the fact that archers have few skills compared to most other classes (less coins to spend upgrading them); we're cheap!
  • AngleSnipe - Heavens Tear
    AngleSnipe - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    [/QUOTE] And yeah every class needs armour, not sure where you were going with that point? O_O [/QUOTE]

Think they meant that melee classes like bm/barbs have significantly higher repair costs when they grind.

Archer class is definitely not expensive, however, it is also not cheap if you want to be competitive. Our weapon is our most important aspect, as a good weapon can compensate greatly for mediocre armor. (However in veno's aspect, weapon dmg is not so important). Also, our constant need for mp/hp regen for certain situations does add on to the cost. However, if you are a typical archer, and grind somewhat, you'll find these costs to be negligible and not even something worthwhile noticing :).