Hailstorm.

Kila_Master - Harshlands
Kila_Master - Harshlands Posts: 64 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Wizard
I know many wizards say not to waste your spirit and money on this skill but whats so bad about it. There are two reasons why i think its good.

1st: Its a AoE so it can finish off a mob of player that your orginal AoE didnt kill.
2nd: It FREEZES (WOOT WOOT)

Plz voice your opinion on this spell.

Thankx in Advance.
Post edited by Kila_Master - Harshlands on

Comments

• gamer2127
    gamer2127 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    It does **** damage, and has a **** chance to freeze.
  • Xegeth - Dreamweaver
    Xegeth - Dreamweaver Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I kinda like it. It becomes fairly useful on later levels, but I wouldn't bother to lvl it before maybe 75. But since it costs no chi it helps in certain situations. In lower instances it speeds things up and on stronger mobs it can still be good, if you hit two or more. I will get Demon version for sure, later. Increasing the freeze chance to 50% is really nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    its pretty decent, damage isn't amazing.. but a no chi cost aoe with a chance to freeze is nice :)
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    ya when combined with a good barb or mayhaps even a good bm.
    it does really good damage for one skill as long if you have alot of targets to hit. (since it's aoe.)
    me use it when me has a really really good barb along with WoF and me can put out more damage then any archer can hope to.
    xD

but... me leave it at level 1. since me don't really use it for the freeze more and the leveling it only gives a bigger aoe. besides a good barb usually has all the mobs very close to him so the short aoe is good enough.
    X_x'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Hailstorm- does about the same damage as lv10 gush w/ lv 10 mastery, but is decent sized AoE with a 1/3 chance to stun. Level to 10 when, and only when, you start doing TW regularly. Is fairly cheap to max from 1-10 in one day, but don't suffer your other spells to level this one.

/opinion b:victory

edit: when I frenzy + dub spark -> ice dragon -> the next move is hailstorm & the damage is more than adequate (2.5-3k) to finish off anybody who's charm had ticked before the dragon hit.\

edit 2: one last thought- in TW this skill is always on CD as it's my best shot at stopping cata barbs.
  • Scorched_Sky - Sanctuary
    Scorched_Sky - Sanctuary Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I believe that hailstorm has gotten more of a negative rep than it deserves. Sure it's a fairly weak spell in terms of damage, but I would find it useful if it were maxed.
    I believe that the reason why people give it a negative rep is because leveling it as a low level does not give as much benefit as leveling staple spells, like gush or pyrogram.
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    Nerithos - Sanctuary Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Eeeh, I like using Hailstorm for my water macros. It's got a pretty cheap MP cost and deals anywhere from 50% to 75% of a gush. Useful for finishers and/or filler spells.
  • Scorched_Sky - Sanctuary
    Scorched_Sky - Sanctuary Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Eeeh, I like using Hailstorm for my water macros. It's got a pretty cheap MP cost and deals anywhere from 50% to 75% of a gush. Useful for finishers and/or filler spells.

Finisher? WHY? It's purpose is really for the freeze effect, which you wouldn't get at all using as a finisher.
    Mind as well use a lvl 1 pitfall or crown of flame, which has a faster channel and better mana efficiency if your opponent really has that little hp left.
  • ay4
    ay4 Posts: 1
    edited November 2009
    i really like hailstorm. i use it everytime when aoe lvling with my wr friend. he pulls 20 mobs. then he stuns, uses 1-2 aoe attacks. meanwhile i use 1 ult + hailstorm. 20 mobs down and next wave b:victory

this way i lvl much faster than lvling solo or with zhen, cause we are just 2 ppl and you dont have to give away much exp.
  • Kila_Master - Harshlands
    Kila_Master - Harshlands Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Now i dont feel as crazy as before. =] I knew i wasnt crazy for leveling it to 5.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    gamer2127 wrote: »
    It does **** damage, and has a **** chance to freeze.

please don't give opinions on something you've read on ecatomb.

has a weaker dmg than gush, but it's AOE. Used wisely can be very very effective. I sometimes use it in TW as a poke skill on cata squads, I kinda' laugh seing 2k crits out of it sometimes.
    Best use for that is when grinding, since I can spam ultimates being a sage. BIDS/BT/MS + Hailstorm pretty much brings 4+mobs down in 2 shots ( unless they are magic res increase or increase life). Best combo I'd say is with MS+Hailstorm 'cause u basically have chances to stun twice. And it procs quite often.
    I'm actually looking for the sage version of it since if the stun procs, the target will get 3.1k more dmg. Now that's something I would love to have. That would make it way stronger than a gush in case it stuns.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Hailstorm is a nice AoE attack (though terrible tiny range)

However, at low lvls it's deffinitly not worth it, not only because of the (for than) massive cost to keep it up and the better things to spend it on, but also because as a low lvl wiz, using AoE attacks is suicide, because you draw more than 1 mob to attack you
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Destini - Dreamweaver
    Destini - Dreamweaver Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Up until a few days ago, my hailstorm was at 2 because I rarely used it. In terms of damage, it's low, but at max it does the same damage as a gush indeed, and not only that, but it freezes. And once demonized (which is the reason why I maxed it), 50% chance to freeze.

Now...no one mentioned this, but in rebirth Delta, with the fire immune mobs rendering Dragon's Breath useless, hailstorm, being an aoe, definitely gets spammed. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Of course I want to make you giggle, but this is serious. b:chuckle

Other Characters:

Ivy_>Psychic>Level 92>Sage>Active
    Serenata>Venomancer>Level 44>Inactive until further notice
    Avocet>Cleric>Level 25>same as above
    Descorian>Blademaster>Level 5> The love child of Destini and Escorian...but I hardly play her...b:surrender

PS: Caffeine Detox sucks!
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I like it for fb/bh as 1st attack on crowds(2nd attack if i use ultimate) and for kiting mobs when pet/bm/barb is tanking. for anything else I prefer pitfall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Damaged - Lost City
    Damaged - Lost City Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Demon hailstorms aoe 50% chance is obscenely useful, and yea as Adroit pointed out, a no chi aoe freeze is really nice, if you've just dragoned a ton of mobs and need to dd a little more, just hailstorm
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    X_x'
    me am confoosed by how many people can't use it right lols.
    more mobs = more damage... thats how aoe skills work. waffles lol lol.
    (>.<)'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    Nerithos - Sanctuary Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Finisher? WHY? It's purpose is really for the freeze effect, which you wouldn't get at all using as a finisher.
    Mind as well use a lvl 1 pitfall or crown of flame, which has a faster channel and better mana efficiency if your opponent really has that little hp left.

That's not the ONLY thing I use it for. Plus, why not use it as a finisher? I've got pitfall and CoF pretty high leveled since they're pretty damned useful, and hailstorm turns out to have a lower mana cost due to its lower level (for me). With -18C, it channels pretty fast.